Running Bear's November 2023 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
He knows the Elf is one of Santa's spies. ;) At least he did not rip up her Elf.

We have an ELF to give our youngest grandson; this is his first Christmas. My other two grandsons are teenagers. They are too old to believe, but they still enjoy seeing their elves. The Elf on the Shelf is an example of capitalism at Christmas, but a wonderful Christmas tradition for children. I wish I had invented it!

What did your daughter name her Elf?
Her name was Snowflake.

We had a good run with the elf. It was a lot of fun hiding her, and a few days before Christmas she he would bring small gifts.

One year we traveled to Colorado for Christmas and we carefully hid her in the suitcase and the next morning she magically appeared in Colorado. She was amazed and thrilled.

Two years ago was the last year with the elf but she still wants it out and displayed so I’m good with that.

Good Morning All. Clear and 40° this morning, should be a nice day, and then rain after sunset ahead of a cold front coming through about 0300. Colder and windy tomorrow.

The weekly grocery trek went as well as could be expected. Many shelves were almost bare since they didn't bring in any overnight stockers on Thanksgiving, but everything that was on my list had at least a little there. The fresh meat/seafood display case was totally bare, as was the beer cases. I got the last two twelve packs of my choice. Soft drink/bottled water aisle was completely bare since that gets stocked daily by the distributors themselves, but I didn't need anything. Crowd wasn't as great as the usual Friday, but were still more than my usual Thursday shopping day.
After a brief price hike last week, gasoline has come back down, most places were $2.59/gal. With my almost expiring October fuel points, I paid $1.99/gal for 15 gallons. The savings paid for lunch at Schlotzsky's. I now have enough fuel points earned in November for $2/gal, but I am only allowed too take a maximum of $1/gal at a time. I should get at least two more trips between now and 12/31 when they expire.

I did some mowing and leaf gathering yesterday after lunch. While I didn't do anything with it, I did add fresh gasoline to the tiller and started it up to run for a couple of minutes. Depending on whether it rains tonight or not, I could do the first tilling for next spring, sometime early next week. Early spring planting time is just over 60 days away. The garden is currently covered with 6" of shredded leaves and aged shredded tree chips to be tilled in.
Meanwhile the granddogs are sleeping in this morning after an extended afternoon outside yesterday.
IMG_0991.001.JPG

IMG_0992.JPG

Out in the train shed yesterday, I mostly ran trains since I hadn't done that since Monday or Tuesday. I did choose and add some figures to the Dusty Saddle Saloon.
IMG_0987.JPG
IMG_0986.JPG
IMG_0989.JPG

Mike - I never went Black Friday shopping except to the grocery store. I always tried to avoid madhouse crowds. I got enough of that at rock concerts and NASCAR events.
Todd - More insanely than how many cans of flock were used, is how you got that high to apply it?;)
Troy - I like looking at N scale layouts, and saw two very excellent ones in the Texas City Museum; but there's no way that I could ever work on them. I admire Hughie for his patience and work on his, especially all of those laser-cut wood structures.
Louis - The Heisman Trophy, as told by my grandfather in an oral interview he made with my youngest brother, came about as a way to increase membership in the Downtown Athletic Club in Manhattan, which was waning due to the Great Depression. It did so at the time, but it's proximity to the destroyed World Trade Center caused it to shut down completely in 2002.

Everybody have a great Saturday.

Good afternoon. It's mostly clear and 73.
A couple of things happened over the last day or so, these particular things aren't great...
First, Microsoft is really, really, REALLY pushing their new ad-based Outlook email client, that only works with Outlook and Gmail accounts, everybody else is SOL. Over the last 24 hours, I've deleted the "New Outlook" app 14 times (I counted). Every time I open my old Outlook mail app, it downloads the new app again, and tries to force me to use it. The only way I've found to keep using it, and access my other email accounts, is to go in and delete the new app. That works until the next time I open my mail account. Rinse and repeat...
Second, a Public Service message: If you are preparing holiday drinks, and you are making egg nog, Make sure the bottle of powdered cinnamon you grabbed is cinnamon, and not chili powder, before adding it to your drink. No need to ask how I know this...

Good afternoon. It's mostly clear and 73.
A couple of things happened over the last day or so, these particular things aren't great...
First, Microsoft is really, really, REALLY pushing their new ad-based Outlook email client, that only works with Outlook and Gmail accounts, everybody else is SOL. Over the last 24 hours, I've deleted the "New Outlook" app 14 times (I counted). Every time I open my old Outlook mail app, it downloads the new app again, and tries to force me to use it. The only way I've found to keep using it, and access my other email accounts, is to go in and delete the new app. That works until the next time I open my mail account. Rinse and repeat...
Second, a Public Service message: If you are preparing holiday drinks, and you are making egg nog, Make sure the bottle of powdered cinnamon you grabbed is cinnamon, and not chili powder, before adding it to your drink. No need to ask how I know this...
Terry
In a nutshell you have described why I loathe Microsoft. They don't know what "decline" means.
as far as your PSA
You impress me as the type who might mix up your toothpaste with your hemorrhoid cream!! 😁

Terry
In a nutshell you have described why I loathe Microsoft. They don't know what "decline" means.
as far as your PSA
You impress me as the type who might mix up your toothpaste with your hemorrhoid cream!! 😁
he'd only do that if he's arguing with Micro$oft about their latest bonehead maneuver. It's tough to concentrate when you're telling off a customer service AI bot

It is getting close to the holidays and I finally have a couple close to trains and Christmas pics. Drove down to one of our favourite garden centres today to pick up our Christmas wreathes and drop off our empty hanging baskets that we will pick up in the spring. Among the wreathes and holiday related nicnac’s I saw something that I will build for under my tree for next year or for on my fireplace mantle.

IMG_7103.jpeg

Annapolis Royal is across the river from Port Royal (the first European settlement in North America north of St Augustine, Florida). We had lunch there today and I had to get a shot of the abandoned train bridge in the area (one of my favourites). Second was a neat pic outside the restaurant where we had lunch today.

IMG_7108.jpeg

thought this was neat where we had snow this morning

IMG_7106.jpeg

Afternoon All,

Started out with a walk at 59F this morning and the high today is 74F. It was a pretty lazy day until MOH said "let's go to Costco":eek: Crap. Well it was busy but not as bad as I expected. That's about all I did today.

Thank you for the photo likes yesterday.

Todd- You can keep the white stuff there.

Troy- Nice layout photos. Reflux, another joy of growing older.

Willie- That is cool about the Heisman Trophy.

Louis- Nice looking cars.

Sherrel- Hopefully you will get your sleep pattern back to normal.

Gary- Nice photos, especially the bridge.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Terry
as far as your PSA
Copied from Microsoft's website:
If you're not interested in trying the new Outlook for Windows, you can stop using Windows Mail and Calendar and instead manage your email and calendar through your service’s webmail application, or a different email client.

Afternoon all,

Made it to the daughter's just as the heaviest snow hit. Took 2 hours to drive back. Mostly because I was following the local daughter as she is like her mom and hates driving in the crap. Not much locally when we returned, but it is catching back up to us.

Not much else going on.

Afternoon all,

Made it to the daughter's just as the heaviest snow hit. Took 2 hours to drive back. Mostly because I was following the local daughter as she is like her mom and hates driving in the crap. Not much locally when we returned, but it is catching back up to us.

Not much else going on.
Looks like that snow is marching across the country. Were due to get in on it later tonight into tomorrow.

They have now issued a winter weather advisory. 3" total., so a minor inconvenience for us.

We shall see if the weather folks get this right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back