Running Bear's November 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning All!
40F and raining, has been for a couple of days.

Sold the Santa Fe in 2 days on CL. That was the car we bought 2 years ago cuz our Edge was in Louisville. When we came home we would bring the big thing and had nothing to drive while here. Bought it for $4500, sold it for $4250 and put 3000ish miles on it.

USAA: Boy, I tell ya these folks are so easy to deal with. Maria dropped the insurance on the Santa Fe in one click. Added liability on the 89 Ford in about 5 minutes WITHOUT having to call anybody.

Rain today has snow mixed in. Weather guessers have been saying same for the last 2/3 days. Temps are now in a downward trend. Think that I have the outside stuff almost done. Just have to get the rider under cover and remove the battery.

Later

I believe Earth is a place where souls go to have a "human" experience. I also believe that our lives here are a test. Pass, and proceed to another realm/dimension/enlightenment/whatever you want to call it. Fail, and you start over for another try as your soul enters another body at conception.

God gave us free will. What we do with it defines how spiritually fit we are.
I like that ethos, it makes for someone who would be likely to treat others with respect.

my mother was convinced she could leave her body and travel and speak to spirits, and I have to admit there are a number of occasions when she predicted something you would never have expected to happen but did.
1. Telling us that a lad we knew in his 20s had died overnight. that one creeped my dad out.
2. telling my dad to not let me leave school and walk into town, he had to collect me and take me a longer route,she nagged he promised, a lorry crashed into the ICI main gate on the route I would have walked, no one was hurt, but you could not convince my mum if I had walked that way I would have died, she did not mention the lorry or ICI be still a little spooky.
3.She mentioned my great great grandmother apparently raised from the dead a relative in Wales who was laid out in their home, this was a common practise, family say this happened BUT they believe the person must have been accidentally pronounced cold, it could have been a ‘drowning’ in cold water or whatever no one knows.
4. she met a boyfriend I had started going out with and she warned me he was a druggie, even looking back I have no idea how she knew,but in days I realised she was right and dropped him like a hot potato, maybe not a spiritual one.
5. She claimed to see people’s spirits, apparently for reasons totally unknown as I have no links I have an Indian brave with a single feather in his late 20s.
There are several other weirdo ones these just come to mind…kinda explains a lot …grins…
and no I do not believe I can leave my body and float,predict the future,or anything else kookie, but I loved her to bits.

on the human experience side as a Kid I killed a lot of ants…..i guess I will have to go another round.

I like that ethos, it makes for someone who would be likely to treat others with respect.

on the human experience side as a Kid I killed a lot of ants…..i guess I will have to go another round.

If you read between the lines into my beliefs, you can easily conclude (maybe incorrectly) that Earth is a type of purgatory, sometimes described as a "continuation."

It's interesting to me that most religions have some sort of "comforting" concept of the hereafter. And even more interesting to me is that most religions have similar spiritual tenets at their core.

Good Morning All. It's foggy and 56° this morning. Thunderstorms are still in the forecast for Friday, but still great weather and temperatures until a week from Friday when the NWS is predicting a cold front. Do they really know?
Day of the Dead, or All Soul's Day today.

Yesterday's cardiologist visit was positive. He was not concerned about my fluctuating BP a whole lot, as it is remaining in the high normal range to him. He did up the dose of a medication that he had reduced two months ago. Something called Amlodipine. He also reduced the frequency of Lasix to once a week. Obviously not too concerned as the next appointment is six months away. I got an education on when the optimal time to take my own blood pressure was. First thing in the morning is definitely a no-no. That had me concerned as last week I was intensively taking and logging readings 7-8 times a day. Wake up readings were in the 165/92± range.
Visits to him are highly regimented, which in the whole scheme of things are OK. I always go into the inner exam room within 2 minutes of my appointment times, It takes another 2 minutes to take my blood pressure, he shows up with the physician's assistant usually as the nurse is finishing that up, and stays exactly 15 minutes. At 13 minutes, he stands up and I know to ask any final questions quickly. No small talk or other chit-chat. I do appreciate that I never have to wait. In and out the front door in 20 minutes.

We went to Outback for supper last night with one of the many gift cards that we received for our golden anniversary. We mentioned this to our server and she comped a freebie carrot cake to us. Even though our anniversary was two months ago, by subtlety [sp?] dropping that hint when dining out, we continue to get free desserts all over the place.

Yesterday, I scalped part of the yard with the mower for the winter. I haven't seen any sign of the perennial rye grass yet that usually covers the yard and roadsides during winter. But I have seen a couple of snakes on the move in the past few days. They're headed for their winter quarters to sort of hibernate. They don't really hibernate, but their metabolism slows way down below 60° F and they appear to hibernate. On the SFW estate, they head for the void under the floor in the barn or the crawl space under the train shed. On occasion they get into the house through slight voids in the flooring around drain pipes. Round drain pipes, square holes!

Thanks again for the likes and comments regarding the latest project and the random meanderings.

Between the doctor visit, mowing the yard, All Saint's Day Mass, and going out for dinner; I didn't get a lot accomplished out in the train shed yesterday. However I did find two vents to add to the roof of the diner to replace the faulty one. These came from a DPM modular kit of roofs.
View attachment 155213
Here they are painted and installed, along with the vent and chimney over the kitchen in the rear.
View attachment 155214

Wow! 57 posts in the Coffee Shop yesterday to review. That and a bunch in other threads. So I am late in replying this morning!
Smudge - No I am not attempting to duplicate Running Bear's Coffee Shop with my diner. Good suggestion though, but I am not up for the required artwork, even though I could copy it from your picture.
Be safe out there in the wind.
Patrick - It isn't that I don't trust Windows products, I just don't like their intrusiveness. Although reading some comments here in the last few days, it seems that Apple is the same way. I did check and I do have Windows Security activated along with AVG; I haven't had any clashes that I know of. Reloading AVG isn't a real issue to me as I just use it on this one desktop.
Guy - Your picture of the snowfall reminds me why I like living in North Central Texas, where it is still shorts and tee shirt weather until mid to late December. We've had 75°+ temperatures on Christmas many times.
Jaz - I had a very devout grand aunt in Brooklyn who walked three blocks to her Catholic church for Mass seven days a week for over 50 years until her passing.
Joe -

Can you imagine what it would be like if we had "likes" back then! He is still the second most prolific poster despite passing away 8 years ago.
Ironically even though Dallas Cowboy fans and management hated Buddy Ryan very intensively, Jerry Jones did hire his son Rob Ryan as defensive coordinator for a couple of years in 2011-2012.
Todd - That was my first "Scratch & Sniff" experience as well.
George - Nice progress on the aqueduct. Faster than my usual progress.
Hughie - Ditto to you on the Shipyard Brewery. You and George obviously have longer work sessions than I do. ;)
Happy Birthday James.

Everyone have a great day.
Thank you Willie!

Willie - what was the problem with "first thing in the morning" blood pressure?
He explained that Cortisol levels in the body rise during sleep cycles (part of that circadian rhythm thingy) and cause higher blood pressure readings in the morning. Cortisol has something to do with stress response as I understand it. It's not bad or unusual, but it is not the optimal time to take a reading as it tends to be a bit higher than the rest of the day. He recommended waiting one hour. For my recent test period, I was taking it immediately without resting. I was getting up, walking to the living room and taking the pressure reading within 4-5 minutes. He said that the most recent AMA guidelines for the uppermost safe BP for adults 70 or older is now 150/90. High by my thinking, and actually higher than most of my readings taken at other times of day. Those were 135/82± mostly. Those early readings of 165/92± were bothering me.

Afternoon All,

Started out with chores then headed to the train room. I wanted to use my RS1 for today's signal video (stored on a RH track) but I couldn't it to power up. I'm scratching my head and I remembered I didn't power those tracks (DPDT toggle), so after doing that it still wouldn't power up. It has a QSI Titan decoder so I tapped 6-6 (after research) on the function keys and it was magical 😂. Anyway, after the video I did several local moves putting things back where they are stored on the layout. That took about an hour. I really need to clean track.👎

George- That looks great.

Hughie- The build looks great.

Troy- My Dad (89) has the same issue that I think is getting worse. He always uses that product and it has "saved" him from time to time.

James- Happy Birthday 🎂.

Smudge- I am very sorry to hear that.

This is on the peninsula reverse loop. I have the ability to reverse a train on each of the 3 legs of the layout.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Afternoon All,

Started out with chores then headed to the train room. I wanted to use my RS1 for today's signal video (stored on a RH track) but I couldn't it to power up. I'm scratching my head and I remembered I didn't power those tracks (DPDT toggle), so after doing that it still wouldn't power up. It has a QSI Titan decoder so I tapped 6-6 (after research) on the function keys and it was magical 😂. Anyway, after the video I did several local moves putting things back where they are stored on the layout. That took about an hour. I really need to clean track.👎

George- That looks great.

Hughie- The build looks great.

Troy- My Dad (89) has the same issue that I think is getting worse. He always uses that product and it has "saved" him from time to time.

James- Happy Birthday 🎂.

Smudge- I am very sorry to hear that.

This is on the peninsula reverse loop. I have the ability to reverse a train on each of the 3 legs of the layout.

I hope everyone has a good night.
Curt - Nice video!!! I do not recognize a few things, is this an old version of the layout?

Good afternoon. Haven't been on is a while because I took a little road trip before winter set in. Not really a road trip, but went to see my cousin in Deer Lodge who wasn't feeling well and then went to Bozangeles to visit my kids and grand kids while I was there. The visit to Bozeman with the impatient idiots on the road really made me appreciate Libby. Stopped again in Deer Lodge being I had to pass right by it and back home. Had my second visit for physical therapy today also.

The condo's I'm in are the first condos in the town and they don't have a clue what to do about property taxes. Some folks got their bills and some of us didn't. I have been to more county and city offices than I thought they had trying to get things squared away. One person I need to see is out of town until tomorrow. Also found out that my printer crapped out. Did order another, but not an HP. Will never ever tough another HP printer again.

Ken - I had no idea about trick or treat here and bought something that I liked. I have plenty to eat as not a single knock on the door.

Joe - Great shot of the GG-1.

Chadbag - It seems that things are moving along but WINTER IS COMING.

Willie
- I really liked the Walthers diner kit. I put interior lighting in mine and a bunch of 1/87 hungry people.

20181111_162857.jpg

Todd - I have had USAA for years but they really pissed my off with all of their passwords. I even write them all down and they don't work some times.

Curt - Like your video. More, More.

Have to run. Have to put the home made food together for the dogs and make a few phone calls. Knew I didn't want to volunteer to be HOA president.

More from the archives.
20171102_172026.jpg
20171102_172108.jpg
20171230_124048.jpg
20171202_113539.jpg
20180115_170428.jpg
20180414_161555.jpg
IMAG0113.jpg

Later

Can you imagine what it would be like if we had "likes" back then!
Ironically even though Dallas Cowboy fans and management hated Buddy Ryan very intensively, Jerry Jones did hire his son Rob Ryan as defensive coordinator for a couple of years in 2011-2012.
Willie:
  1. Jeffrey Wimberly. Yeah, really. He not only is still #2 here, but he was equally prolific on other railroad forums, plus his own. He also found time to rebuild otherwise defective models into useful"Frankenstein Fleet" locomotives, and create a network of refurbished early Apple computers. All while suffering from Diabetes. Until the end nothing could keep him down.
  2. The Ryan Family. Didn't like Buddy, Didn't like Rex, Rob stayed out of the limelight, but they all knew what they were doing. They got more out of average players, and that was their secret. Didn't care who's toes they stepped on either. Jerry Jones only cares about winning, and he must have thought Rob Ryan would contribute to winning.

The Ryans were defensive geniuses. Now everybody uses zero cover and exotic blitz packages.

Speaking of defense. I have not seen the Ravens use so much zone coverage since Ted Marchibroda. Ted was an offensive genius.

I was complaining to myself as I was cutting the overgrown grass in my back yard "damn weather, I'll probably have to do this again!" Then I thought "World Series tonight, good weather for baseball!" It's all in how you look at things.

Let's go Astros, even this thing up!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back