Running Bear's November 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have put aside dogma. I still love, observe and enjoy our family traditions, Lent, Easter, Advent and of course Christmas! Many other traditions as well. "Saint Anthony help me find..."

I see God as an accountant. I don't want to end up on the wrong side of the ledger.

My faith is as strong as ever and I respect all faith.

Afternoon All,

Started out with a walk that was almost summer like (warm & humid). The wife used me as a chauffer during the morning, After getting home around noon I laid down for a nap for 2 hours. For the last several days my legs have been itching badly. I have tried anti-itch creme and moisturizing lotion (in case it was dry skin related) with limited success. Today I decided to take a OTC antihistamine. This has worked well but a side effect is fatigue.

JazzDad- I'll have to give that a try on a old box car.
Jaz- Great scenes.

Smudge- That's great.

Snowman- Great family photo and costume.

Willie- Nice job on the diner. The VA locally (Orlando area) does a very good job. I had heard the horror stories but was pleasantly surprised.

Guy- Way, Way, Way too much snow. Nice 1:1 photos.

Joe- Great photo. I renewed my PRRT&HS membership today.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Got the 2nd aqueduct track installed and a little of the backdrop painted.
George

viaduct_33.jpg

Good evening, all! A off and on rainy day here in Houston. Temps stayed in the low 70's.

Thank you for the likes on the Shipyard Brewing build. It has been a fun build. I did run into some issues with the roofing material. Even Bar Mills states in their instructions, that the roof material doesn't come off as well as they would like it. Strangely, it sticks to you better than to the model.
Anyway, there is still some trim work to be done, a loading dock to be built and then setting it in place.

1667338718451.jpeg

STAY SAFE
LATER

Well, howdy there internet peeps, and those on watch for the gremlins so recently dispatched by the computer techs,

It's troy again

Wow! 3 pages on Nov 1.

I got up at the crack of O dark thirty, or somewhere around 3:30 to get my writing in. At 0800 I left for the hour+ drive to get to Moms. Shortest time is 1:15. today was about 1:40.

Seems I got to follow somone's new garage down the highway!

I was on US 33 between Fort Wayne and Goshen. A two-lane US highway that is very curvy. Trying to get around a wide load marker truck, the long and wide load of the double length, single car prefab garage on a flat bed behind articulated lorry would have been a challenge. Only saw one idiot actually do the leapfrog to pass the garage. About five miles later, he turned off the highway, and the garage kept rolling on US 33.

At first I thought I was watching the covered part of an old covered bridge, but, with enough drivers turning off I got one car behind the rear wide-load marker truck. I watched it on the curves. It was new construction, with a person door at the rear. Oversized single car rollup opening at the end facing me.

If it was your garage, let me know. Could have been for a pickup or trailer storage from the length.

But, we live in the land of the prefab. Elkhart is known for being the top manufacturing zone for RVs and mobile homes. Counties near them do a lot of support, or sister-style construction like prefab structures.

Anyway, I was heading to pick mom up and run her to a couple of Dr. appointments. Including her Macular Degeneration shots (yee-ouch!)... but first, to the family doc. Seems mom is having urinary and bowel control issues. She went with my sisters to a niece's wedding in Philly this past weekend, and grudgingly wore Depends.

Being 80 takes its toll, unfortunately. The doc knows with her Afib she probably won't be approved for any corrective surgeries, so the best he could was to suggest physical therapy to strengthen the abdominal muscles under and around her bladder.

Being the best son ever, I exclaimed "Oh boy, you get Butt Exercises!" and teased her about secretly wanting to be a Kardashian.

That's all I have to report. I've already had my glass of Engine 765 Whiskey. A few pennies from each glass going to support our local Nickle Plate 765, a Berkshire 2-8-4 style upgrade to the Mikado. Which I had to look up. Because I haven't studied steam much.

that's enough wording unofficial words for now. Hopefully, with my nap in, I'll be rested enough for a good night's sleep. My cat does that. Nap all day, so he can sleep most of the night.

One more chapter to write Wednesday morning, and I can call the book done.

No thank you. I'll stick with Tim's

That's better than hawking Mel's latest creation...

Looks pretty good there...actually, the coffee shop forum is named for the late Jeffrey Wimberly, aka Running Bear. a long time member, and prolific poster.

I had a bad experience with the VA back in the 1970s, and would never consider using them. It wasn't a care issue, but an arrogant GSer who recited regulations verbatim from memory, but could care less about the Veteran and his need for care. My son, decided to switch his primary care to the VA, after being frustrated over dealing with a service related skin condition from his many deployments. Apparently, the standard GS medical plan he had doesn't cover the med necessary to treat the condition. He and his buddy, another Marine Veteran of Iraq and Afghanistan, are very happy with the medical care received through the VA.

All Saints Day Is observed by the Lutheran, Anglican Communions and Methodists. Tomorrow, is All Souls Day in the Roman Communion. Based on remembering and praying for the "Souls" in "Purgatory". Dia de Los Muertos, is the Mexican interpetation of All Souls Day.

Yesterday, October 31, was also Reformation Day. A day of celebration in the Protestant Communion.

Hatred of the Eagles, and Philly Fans? o_O Well, the fans are something else...there used to be holding cells and a magistrates court in the Vet. Buddy (and Rex) Ryan were popular with Eagles and Jets fans, but not Redskin and Cowboy fans.

Just from the comments about Dia de Los muertos, in the forum, I am beginning to wonder if that is such a prudent idea. I don't endorse pointless arguments about doctrine, or whether or not God exists, as those discussions do not change beliefs or positions. However, we live in a diverse world, and need to get along. Understanding other people is essential in this goal. It's not proselytizing to understand for instance why Catholics celebrate All Souls day, when other Christians do not. Just a thought.

For your viewing pleasure:

View attachment 155166
VA Hospital: I have been using the VA since the end of '73. I have heard horror stories and yet I have never seen anything other than wonderful people helping any Vet. The dickheads and grumps happen when they outsource me to a vendor that is either closer than going to Spokane, or has a new/better service than Spokane. I just shut up and bite my tongue as that is the easiest way outa the place.

Have friends that would not go to a VA if there life depended on it. Knowing some of those friends like I do, I suspect that they also have heard the horror stories and just fall right in with them thinking that it as the only thing they are gonna get.

Last Friday and Saturday we got a bunch done on the house including waterproofing on the porch (another coat plus some mesh over the outside corner plus some, until we ran out of mesh, along the front face to provide constant waterproofing from the porch subfloor down onto the foundation waterproofing membrane), waterproofing on the rear staircase retaining wall and foundation wall in those places that will be exposed, above the stairs, and some other things.

One of those things was to install the dryer vent for the basement "guest" laundry room. This vent is below grade and will have a small "window well" around it. This is the first "finished" fixture of the house installed! Friday we put the acrylic "tough coat" stucco-like stuff around the dryer vent duct we had installed the weekend before so that the whole foundation/basement wall that will be exposed and not under the dirt because of the well that allows the vent to vent to real air. Saturday we put a second layer on and Saturday evening a third layer when we installed the vent. We installed the vent, liberally sealed and caulked inside and around it, and then with that third layer put the acrylic "stucco like" material up around the vent.

We then tried to install the window well thing (which is actually a 12" high piece and a 24" high piece stacked on it since I couldn't find a smaller non-window version that was at least 35-36" high). The first concrete screw wouldn't quite tighten and then we stripped it and the second one would go into the whole drilled into the concrete (drilled through the foam and then an inch and a half into the concrete). We gave up as it got dark and we had to saw off the screw head to get the well piece down off the wall. I'll be getting some better concrete bolts and we'll try again later this week. Today I did grind off the extra concrete screw shaft that was still sticking out and also filled all the holes etc from oru aborted attempt with more of the acrylic stucco-like stuff to block the holes from allowing moisture into the wall.

This week since it is supposed to be raining and/or snowing starting tomorrow, I've mainly been foaming around the subfloor where it abuts the outer wall foam so that water won't leak into the basement there and I also bought some cheap sealing tape for temporary sealing of the OSB subfloor joints to try and block water from seeping through there into the basement as well. (The tape is actually a seam sealing tape for house wrap and is just meant as a temporary measure and not a permanent seal on the subfloor). Yesterday and today I put down a bunch of tape but did not get all the joints taped. We'll see how well my efforts work to avoid tol much water in the basement after tomorrows rain and/or "frozen mix" precipitation.

There is a large whole in the subfloor where a staircase from the main floor into the basement will be. To try and stop large amounts of water and/or snow/frozen stuff from just going down into the basement, tonight I took the 6' long scaffolding planks we have stacked waiting to start the next layer and covered the opening. It is not sealed but will hopefully keep most of the water out...

QUESTION: What would people suggest if I wanted to more permanently seal the joints between the sub-floor OSB sheets? It is true flooring OSB with tongue/groove construction so the joints, which are anywhere from flush to a couple mm wide at the surface level (due to tongue/groove construction there is no through gap, just a gap down to the tongue). I was still getting water leaking through those gaps and the tongue/groove and dripping after the last rain and snow storm a week and a half ago or so and so I was wanting to see if I could more permanently seal those joints with something relatively inexpensive and foam safe. As we'll be putting down a 1" layer of foam insulation and then 1 1/2" approximately of lightweight concrete (gypcrete) on that, I'd like to seal it anyway so that the water from the gypcrete doesn't leak through into the basement. We'll probably have wiring and stuff in the floors by the time we get around to the gypcrete... So I am looking for suggestions for something relatively inexpensive I can use to seal those joints in the subfloor OSB. (Or even the whole subfloor since it will get a lot of water / snow sitting on it this winter while we (as fast as possible) try to get to where the roof can be put on. All that water soaking can't be good long term for the OSB if you get too much...

---

IMG_0017.jpeg
IMG_0026.jpeg

Last Friday and Saturday we got a bunch done on the house including waterproofing on the porch (another coat plus some mesh over the outside corner plus some, until we ran out of mesh, along the front face to provide constant waterproofing from the porch subfloor down onto the foundation waterproofing membrane), waterproofing on the rear staircase retaining wall and foundation wall in those places that will be exposed, above the stairs, and some other things.

One of those things was to install the dryer vent for the basement "guest" laundry room. This vent is below grade and will have a small "window well" around it. This is the first "finished" fixture of the house installed! Friday we put the acrylic "tough coat" stucco-like stuff around the dryer vent duct we had installed the weekend before so that the whole foundation/basement wall that will be exposed and not under the dirt because of the well that allows the vent to vent to real air. Saturday we put a second layer on and Saturday evening a third layer when we installed the vent. We installed the vent, liberally sealed and caulked inside and around it, and then with that third layer put the acrylic "stucco like" material up around the vent.

We then tried to install the window well thing (which is actually a 12" high piece and a 24" high piece stacked on it since I couldn't find a smaller non-window version that was at least 35-36" high). The first concrete screw wouldn't quite tighten and then we stripped it and the second one would go into the whole drilled into the concrete (drilled through the foam and then an inch and a half into the concrete). We gave up as it got dark and we had to saw off the screw head to get the well piece down off the wall. I'll be getting some better concrete bolts and we'll try again later this week. Today I did grind off the extra concrete screw shaft that was still sticking out and also filled all the holes etc from oru aborted attempt with more of the acrylic stucco-like stuff to block the holes from allowing moisture into the wall.

This week since it is supposed to be raining and/or snowing starting tomorrow, I've mainly been foaming around the subfloor where it abuts the outer wall foam so that water won't leak into the basement there and I also bought some cheap sealing tape for temporary sealing of the OSB subfloor joints to try and block water from seeping through there into the basement as well. (The tape is actually a seam sealing tape for house wrap and is just meant as a temporary measure and not a permanent seal on the subfloor). Yesterday and today I put down a bunch of tape but did not get all the joints taped. We'll see how well my efforts work to avoid tol much water in the basement after tomorrows rain and/or "frozen mix" precipitation.

There is a large whole in the subfloor where a staircase from the main floor into the basement will be. To try and stop large amounts of water and/or snow/frozen stuff from just going down into the basement, tonight I took the 6' long scaffolding planks we have stacked waiting to start the next layer and covered the opening. It is not sealed but will hopefully keep most of the water out...

QUESTION: What would people suggest if I wanted to more permanently seal the joints between the sub-floor OSB sheets? It is true flooring OSB with tongue/groove construction so the joints, which are anywhere from flush to a couple mm wide at the surface level (due to tongue/groove construction there is no through gap, just a gap down to the tongue). I was still getting water leaking through those gaps and the tongue/groove and dripping after the last rain and snow storm a week and a half ago or so and so I was wanting to see if I could more permanently seal those joints with something relatively inexpensive and foam safe. As we'll be putting down a 1" layer of foam insulation and then 1 1/2" approximately of lightweight concrete (gypcrete) on that, I'd like to seal it anyway so that the water from the gypcrete doesn't leak through into the basement. We'll probably have wiring and stuff in the floors by the time we get around to the gypcrete... So I am looking for suggestions for something relatively inexpensive I can use to seal those joints in the subfloor OSB. (Or even the whole subfloor since it will get a lot of water / snow sitting on it this winter while we (as fast as possible) try to get to where the roof can be put on. All that water soaking can't be good long term for the OSB if you get too much...

---

View attachment 155208View attachment 155207
If you've any tarp or plastic sheeting, lay that over the top and secure with more planking or bricks, or whatever heavy is to hand.

Last edited:

---
Why not use silicone caulk? Run a bead down the seam, and level it with a putty knife.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back