Running Bear's November 2018 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
LOUIS .. Sorry about what happened to Tucker. Reminds me of a while back when I took Foxie in and after all sorts of x-rays and a $600 bill that they could not find anything wrong with her. Sometimes they drive us to the breaking point - just like our own off-spring.

We just had a mini-cloudburst a few minutes ago. Sky is clearing now, but we had a light rain for much of the night and early morning. Haven't heard the amount, nor have I gone out to check my "bucket" -- at least I remembered to set it out yesterday.
I go check now.......
Well - just a little down - I thought sure that there would be more .. just a healthy 1/2 inch! I am happy with it - forecast was only 1/4 inch and since that is the first we have had in several months - actually thinking about it - I am joyous!

Spousal Unit is on MIL duty and the family (those who are around) will congregate there around noon for a 2-3PM dinner. Many are missing now and there will only be about 15 including kids - down from 35-40 a few years back.

Foxie dog is on the mend again. She cannot get out the doggie door with her lampshade on, so she woke me up twice last night to go out and I gladly get up!
The very small opening of her wound seems to be trying to heal again - just set us back another few days, but she will just have to tough it out with the headgear since she is determined to "groom" herself ... she has always groomed her legs and feet to keep them clean ... and she is not comfortable about not being able to do it.

Everyone! Have a Happy Turkey Day and be careful out there on the roads!

HAPPY THANKSGIVING
45 degrees to start off the day. We have had a number of winter weather advisories. May pass on the bowling tournament on Saturday it the advisories hold true. Just checked the radar and there is snow to the south west of us. Probably the rains that hit California yesterday are moving out way. The wife is busy in the kitchen making a chocolate cheese cake for todays dessert. the Hutterite turkey will be going into the roaster shortly and my daughter and the grand kids will be over later. My son and his wife will also be coming.

Louis - Sure hope that Tucker gets well soon. Our dogs are like family and I know just how you are feeling.

CambriaArea51 - You've done a nice job on the trailers. I have a bit of an obsession with vehicles. I model the transition era with my Logan Valley RR, set in 1957. I have been collecting vehicles for over 30 years trying to get the most accurate ones I can find and not having numerous repeats. Here are a few photos of some of them.
20181028_164648.jpg 20181028_162709.jpg20181108_141308.jpg
Just wish there were a better selection of trucks that would fit into that time period.

Willie - Thanks for the comment on the rail photo yesterday. Sounds like quite the get together with so many people. Enjoy.

Sherrel - 15 kids ??? enjoy !!!

Think I'll head down to the train room and run trains for a while and get some trains ready for the grand kids. They all have their favorite locomotives and I'll have them all put together for them so they're ready to go.

Here's a rail photo for today.

1997470-bigthumbnail.jpg

Later

Good afternoon, and Happy Thanksgiving. The trip here got off to a very late start because the customer that was scheduled to be at 8:30 yesterday morning had a vehicle that had been misconfigured by her local Land Rover dealer. I was forced to remove all the pieces they had installed, by dismantling the rear of the car, installing the correct parts, and re-assembling. The Land Rover dealer, Land Rover of Cape Fear, refused to make good on their mistake, and will not give even a token partial refund of the over $2000 they charged the customer for installing parts that were completely useless.
I ended up leaving work at 2, and we arrived at the campground at 9:45, 15 minutes before the main gates were locked for the night. That would have been very bad, because we would have been forced to spend the night in the trailer without power for any of my wife's machines.
But, we arrived, late, but we arrived. My wife's son and his in laws are happy to see us, and the start of dinner is scheduled for 2:30 this afternoon.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING
45 degrees to start off the day. We have had a number of winter weather advisories. May pass on the bowling tournament on Saturday it the advisories hold true. Just checked the radar and there is snow to the south west of us. Probably the rains that hit California yesterday are moving out way. The wife is busy in the kitchen making a chocolate cheese cake for todays dessert. the Hutterite turkey will be going into the roaster shortly and my daughter and the grand kids will be over later. My son and his wife will also be coming.

Louis - Sure hope that Tucker gets well soon. Our dogs are like family and I know just how you are feeling.

CambriaArea51 - You've done a nice job on the trailers. I have a bit of an obsession with vehicles. I model the transition era with my Logan Valley RR, set in 1957. I have been collecting vehicles for over 30 years trying to get the most accurate ones I can find and not having numerous repeats. Here are a few photos of some of them.
View attachment 31969 View attachment 31971View attachment 31972
Just wish there were a better selection of trucks that would fit into that time period.

Willie - Thanks for the comment on the rail photo yesterday. Sounds like quite the get together with so many people. Enjoy.

Sherrel - 15 kids ??? enjoy !!!

Think I'll head down to the train room and
HAPPY THANKSGIVING

View attachment 31969 View attachment 31971View attachment 31972
Thanks,yours looks great! It's just amazing when you think you have a lot of vehicles how quickly they disappear when you start putting them around for scenes on your layout.

Thanks,yours looks great! It's just amazing when you think you have a lot of vehicles how quickly they disappear when you start putting them around for scenes on your layout.

I have well over 250 vehicles. I have tried counting them a number of times and have lost count. I model an area that is more rural and it is getting crowded.

The loco I got from the US is somewhere in Australia. A couple of diecast models are marked as having arrived from Melbourne at my place. Haven't done so. P.O. has launched a seek and find (hopefully). Something going on with this new Import Charges business which seems to be in the process of replacing the GST notification on ebay's foreign (to us) listings, re the amount being charged, as it is more (roughly half as much again).

Last edited:
Louis - Glad to read that Tucker is on the road to recovery. Not too sure how big the turkey is that my brother is cooking, it's usually in the 22-24 lb. range when we celebrate at his place. Last year at another brother's place, we had a 20 lb. bird with a large boneless breast to supplement it. He chose to carve the easy breast.

Besides today being Thanksgiving Day, it is also the 55th anniversary of the assassination of President John F. Kennedy. Some of us are old enough to remember the day distinctly. I was in seventh grade at a Catholic school in Dallas watching it unfold on TV, and the women's club from our church was going to be serving/assisting at the luncheon that he was headed for. Sad day indeed and a black eye for our fair city for many years after.

Thanks Willie, Tucker might be milking this, but that's ok. He is loving the extra attention from Everybody. Sophie actions makes me think he is milking us. She was so very worried at first, but now she is treating him normally. She even let him have her verbal barrage in the upstairs kitchen after dinner making it clear she wants her share of left over turkey! Sophie can sound like a stone cold killer, but has never bit anyone, except Tucker. :) Tucker never once retaliated against her, he has a heart of gold. Sophie only nips him, but when she had those razor sharp puppy teeth it had to hurt when she nipped Tucker's ears!

When it comes to the size of the Turkey, anything over 20lbs is more than enough for us usually. I think the most guests we had for a thanksgiving dinner was 17 and we still had left overs. I just obsess over buying the biggest bird I can find. I have more than half of Big Bird left over from yesterday. White meat makes great turkey salad!

The boneless breast is a great idea. Most guests want the white meat, with the exception of my Mom, she loves the dark meat. That works out well for me. My wife makes some Hungarian dish with the dark meat. It's rice, paprika, turkey and I am not sure of what else, but man is it good!

Truth be told If I had a choice I would choose to carve the boneless breast. Oddly enough only a few years ago I learned how to properly carve a turkey. My son found a YouTube video for me and I realized I was not doing it the easy way. Now I make short work of carving and I also learned letting the bird rest for 15 minutes after coming out of the oven also makes carving easier.

Being born in may of 1963 I don't remember the assassination of JFK. It still had a profound impact on my life. Everyone in my family and neighborhood old enough to remember told me exactly what they were doing when it happened. I don't recall hearing anything negative about Dallas from those personal accounts, but I did hear a few negative things in the media. One bad apple don't make the city bad. Oswald was not even from Dallas. There are bad people everywhere.

The only thing I never liked about Dallas was those Cowboys! The Redskins have always been my second favorite team. When Baltimore did not have a team the Redskins were my favorites. That genius Tom Landry and the unrelenting Roger Staubach many times found a way to beat the Redskins! I can imagine late in the 4th quarter of almost any Redskins game with the Cowboys trialing Staubach and Landry on the sidelines I bet the conversation would go like this "we have them right were we want them"

Landry won with not always the best players. Jimmy Johnson won with far superior teams, almost anybody could do that. Landry changed the game. His defenses with the Giants were innovative. His defenses in Dallas were revolutionary! The 4-3 Flex was pure genius! I miss the man with the hat.

Good morning.....Fifteen this morning,the great lakes in the 40's help the temps stay up some.Should get the new style UPS logo to finish up some trailers.Ordered the new Walthers catalog,most of the time I could get it at the fall train show but they were not out yet.With hobby shops getting less and less ordering is becoming a norm.

LOUIS .. Sorry about what happened to Tucker. Reminds me of a while back when I took Foxie in and after all sorts of x-rays and a $600 bill that they could not find anything wrong with her. Sometimes they drive us to the breaking point - just like our own off-spring.
!

Sherell, you are so very right. My dogs are family to me. Even the one and only cat I had, Noel broke my heart when she passed after 17 years. I've had dogs almost my entire life, 9 in total. I did not always have enough money to get them medical care, but I found a way. I even borrowed from a loan shark once, that almost ended badly. I won't let any of my babies suffer.

View attachment 31973
Later

Thank you Chet, You probably already know, but the vet told me Beagles and Dachshunds are both susceptible to back troubles. It runs in both breads.

For the record, I love your vehicles! You have the best collection I've seen and you are the inspiration for why I buy so many. I recently found at Rite Aid of all places 1:48 scale cars. I bought a 67 Firebird and a 55 Thunderbird for $4.99 each, I had to buy them! I got cars from the early 19th century to late models, I have no shame :) if I like it I buy it. Hey I have 3 rail track with steamers and diesels, who cares? I'm happy!

Planes, trains and automobiles; they speak to my inner child, I love them all!!!

I enjoy all of your rail photos, but this one you posted on thanksgiving was perfect!

Yesterday I won the "dumb ass of the day" award.

I bought my wife a top of the line 7.5' Balsam Hill slim line Christmas tree and 7 sets of top of the line GE dual color multi-function LED lights. I always set the tree/trees on thanksgiving morning. Usually it's not problem to have 2 trees up with only lights as the turkey is cooking, but not yesterday.

I neglected to read the instructions for the lights. Turns out I really needed to read the instructions! I was too lazy to get my reading glasses, not the first time I have made that mistake, but it will be my last. I bought these lights because they connect from one end to the other, that makes it easy to install them on the tree evenly.

I looked at the lights and thought, these don't connect end to end, they plug together from the beginning of each set, not happy! That makes them difficult to install evenly. Oh well, too late now, just go with it. Of course I get to the top of the tree and run short on lights, but not enough tree left for another set. I'm about to have one of my fits. baseball, hotdogs, apple pie and Chevrolet. Ok lets just go with it for now and fix it later, the turkey is almost ready. Turn on the lights and I can't get them synchronized, not happy. That's it, I have set up the most expensive and ugliest tree of my life.

Now I sit in my chair with steam coming out of my ears. My youngest daughter, my "little princess" sees daddy is about to have a melt down. She steps in and works for 15 minutes trying to synchronize the lights and manages to get them in all white lights like my wife wanted. It was my "brilliant" idea to have dual color (white or multi-color) I could have just bought basic white LED lights as my wife wanted. I wanted to be able to see the tree in flashing color lights when my wife was at work.

As my daughter was working on the lights she notices a strange thing at the end of each set of lights. I though it was a fuse. Turns out a cap unscrews from the strange thing revealing a female plug. She goes and get my glasses and says read these instructions, for me, please.

I see in the instructions that the multi-function control box also detaches revealing a male plug. "Go to war miss Agnes", they do plug from end to end making one long set of lights! That is why is so difficult to synchronize them. There is only supposed to be one control box! I am a dumbass!

Now the turkey is ready to come out of the oven. My little princess says "it's ok daddy, we can fix the tree later. My wife says "the tree looks great" I say, "nice try, but I can see, it's the ugliest tree I have ever set up!" My girls are the best, but I really can be an ass, but God loves me for some reason.

I carve the beautiful, perfectly cooked turkey and bring it to the magnificent table, full of fantastic food my girls prepared. My wife ask me "what are you drinking?" I ask for a double shot of Jameson over ice in an old fashioned glass. As I am saying Grace I add please God forgive me for being an ass and thank you for this wonderful family." All is well we have a fantastic dinner.

Good morning Everybody!

Chilly again in southeast Baltimore, but its a fine day.

I hope Everybody had a great thanksgiving. We did despite my own stupidity.

All my life I have been one of those people that won't do anything before reading instructions. Since I have needed reading glasses I have skipped the instructions a few times. I found it's about 50/50 that things turn out right the first time if I don't read the instructions. On my to do list is a trip to the dollar tree to buy another dozen reading glasses. I'll stash them everywhere. My first solution to almost every problem is to eliminate all the excuses.

Its After thanksgiving and I have kept my word, no posting Christmas music until after thanksgiving :)

I love these because they drive my wife crazy, but being the sweetheart she is they have grown on her :)

This one was my Nanny's favorite

According to my late sister our Mom use to sing this one.

I don't have any one favorite Christmas song, I love too many to list, but this one has been near the top of my list.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHioIlbnS_A

Happy Holidays Everybody!
When I hear that I think Merry Christmas, but I often say Happy Holidays to included all of our brothers and sisters.

Good Morning All. Cloudy and 55° out there right now. Actually warmed up overnight. I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving Day. Our family had a great time together, food and drink was awesome and plentiful.
I hear that today is Black Friday. Instead of spending all of your money at WalMart or Amazon, spend it at the Stock Market and liven things up a bit. It sure is depressed lately.
While I would love to spend the day in the train shed today, my wife informed me that she heard water and thought that a drain pipe had separated under the house, so I have to deal with that. At least it is only the kitchen sink drain we think. That and there is a fresh batch of leaves in the yard, enough to fill a dump truck.

Louis - I know that you have just been "chomping at the bits" to post some Christmas music. Hearing Allan Sherman brought back memories of listening to all of his stuff back in the early 60's. My Dad loved him and I have all of Dad's old vinyl albums.
Looks like the Cowboys gave the Redskins another drubbing yesterday. They're no powerhouse this year but they are leading the division. I had to suffer through listening to the game on the radio on the drive home yesterday. Even though I no longer watch, my wife is still an avid sports fan.
Terry -
That's how rural areas become urban.
Yep! there's a new home going up about four miles away from me, first one in over ten years. Urban encroachment!:mad:

Everybody have a great day.

Willie, your Dad had great taste. I am certainly no expert on Alan Sherman, but to me the man was a genius. I was fortunate to be raised by 2 people old enough to be my grand parents. Through them I learned about so many classic performers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back