Running Bear's May 2023 Coffee Shop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jeff: How far away is it? If fairly close, do what I do - go in and grab the 'must have' stuff, then go back an hour or so before closing and make offers on what you need. Remember, do not be afraid to walk away if you can't get your price ( or close to it ).

Later
It's about an hour away, in the town where I grew up. The town is very different now. I pretty much left in 1976 when my Father started sending me to a military school that was 4.5 hours away when I was 12 years old. That was before Honda built a few plants in Marysville (Ohio). The little county seat is not so little anymore.

I'm more eager to go and drive around town than I am about teh show, to be honest. My train budget is dry, so I have no plans to buy anything unless I see something I just gotta have, which is probably going to happen. I usually don't know what I NEED until I see it, LOL!

JUST FOR FUN!

US Government Notice

To help save the economy, the Government will announce next month that the Immigration Department will start deporting seniors (instead of illegals) in order to lower Social Security and Medicare costs.
Older people are easier to catch and will not remember how to get back home. Be sure to send this notice to your relatives and friends so they'll know what happened to you.

I started to cry when I thought of you. Then it dawned on me…

I'll see you on the bus.
I call shotgun!

1684517682351.png

I like it and I need a Conrail caboose!

If its political, chances are I have not heard of it. I do my best to avoid political news.

Except for the debt ceiling. Even a hermit living in a cave is sick of hearing about that!

It's not bad to be legally deaf. I turn the radio down so only my wife's good ears can hear it when they talk about things I don't want to hear.

I need a 24-hour model train and baseball radio station!

If its political, chances are I have not heard of it. I do my best to avoid political news.

Except for the debt ceiling. Even a hermit living in a cave is sick of hearing about that!

It's not bad to be legally deaf. I turn the radio down so only my wife's good ears can hear it when they talk about things I don't want to hear.

I need a 24-hour model train and baseball radio station!
Aside from baseball, I'm onboard.

Good Morning All. Partly cloudy and 70° on this Friday morning. Supposedly we're in for some thunderstorms this afternoon and early evening. Could be severe with the conditions being what they will be. Current radar is showing widely scattered rain all over, but I doubt that any is actually hitting the ground at this time. After a high near 90° today, things will cool off for a few days.

We did decide to do the weekly grocery trek today instead of yesterday, things just weren't coming together right. I finished up planting the Mother's Day planter box yesterday, with begonias, petunias, and some other "cascading" plants that my wife bought, to go with the Coleus that I had already put there. Me, I have Parsley, Sage, Oregano and Thyme planted. All of the herbs but the Parsley are perennials. Rosemary, chives and Basil have their own dedicated pots.
I put my new cordless mini chain saw to test yesterday, cutting between 75 and 80 1"-3" low-hanging branches from the double row of Hackberry trees along the east side next to the road. That was the limit before the battery ran out. I have a second battery, but I was not interested in doing more. I'm paying my two grandsons to come by Sunday to clear them all out, plus many many more that I need to cut by then. I'll also be cutting down two dead trees for them to pick up and haul while I have the help here.

Out in the train shed yesterday, I mostly rehabbed some of the trees that Chet sent me. Various bits and pieces of foliage had fallen off some of them during the 1800 mile trip with UPS. Didn't plant any more yet but it's coming.
I did take some new pictures of some old scenes to post today.
View attachment 168660
View attachment 168661View attachment 168662View attachment 168663View attachment 168664

Mikey - Thanks for the insight on the electric substation.
Nice looking shelves. Great way to recycle old fences.
John -

In most cases, they are more concerned that the style, size, setback and especially the height fit into their standard requirements. At least with our Post Office. Where I live, the mailbox is over a mile away, and there were 11 separate mailboxes in a motley row along the side of the road, but all fit their standards. The homeowner who lived behind this collection, didn't like the slipshod appearance of them in front of his house. So he built a large brick and mortar structure to house them, and also bought new boxes for all 11 users. Everything is still fine, except the stick-on numbers have long since faded and are no longer visible. Hasn't bothered our long-time mail lady, as she knows which ones are which. I did notice a few years ago, that she or maybe the substitute guy, had used a felt tip marker and put the individual numbers on the inside of the door. A side advantage of this brick structure is that we and the other patrons no longer have to replace our mailboxes periodically due to damage from vandalism.
Hughie - I have been reading with some interest about something called "Alberta 51 Project". Without getting political here, I was just wondering if it has widespread support, or is it just a fringe thing??? Heck! Have you even heard about it???

Well, I need to eat my words, as it sprinkled for about 10 minutes as I was posting these words.
Everybody have a great day.
Thanks Willie for taking time to post your photos. I look forward to seeing all the different structures on your railroad. Seeing others work is always good inspiration for me. One picture is worth a thousand words really holds true in model railroading.

View attachment 168692 Checking in. Had to start up the confuser to order a couple of things from Amazon and figured I would see what I have missed in the past few days.

McLeod - The smoke was worse than that down here for a day but has cleared up a lot.

Todd - There's nothing wrong with that track plan. I can see a lot of opportunities there. When you get going, give me a call and I'll see if I can come over and help.

Louis - Enjoying some of the old B&O photos.

Tony - Enjoying the photos of the old cars. They weren't old when I saw them, be it when I was in Australia or in the UK. That's what was modern. Guess I could be getting old.

Chad - Nice to the walls going up Progress.

Willie - As usual, I enjoy your photos and the scenes you are creating.

Been busy the last couple of days bringing the grade up under and in front of the covered parking area. Last winter we had a warm spell and with a foot of snow on the roof of the covered parking, a couple of people had a hard time getting into their cars with around 5 to 6 inches of water the cars were sitting in. I also put some downspout defusers under the downspouts so the water flow would stop digging holes in the gravel parking area. Finally getting caught up with chores missed while I was gone.

Have to head down to the post office and send the title sent off to my daughter for the car I gave her. She was driving some Lexus SUV with a gas guzzling V-8. Got more vehicles that I know what to to with spreadall over the state. Don't have anywhere to store them up here.

Here are some archive photos.

Attachments

• 20181111_163415.jpg
    20181111_163415.jpg
    284.4 KB · Views: 33
  • 20181111_163653.jpg
    20181111_163653.jpg
    263 KB · Views: 33
  • 20181111_162030.jpg
    20181111_162030.jpg
    296.2 KB · Views: 36
  • 20181121_075507.jpg
    20181121_075507.jpg
    379.2 KB · Views: 36
  • 20181122_101720.jpg
    20181122_101720.jpg
    413.5 KB · Views: 38
good-morning-dogs-smiley-emoticon.gif
Checking in. Had to start up the confuser to order a couple of things from Amazon and figured I would see what I have missed in the past few days.

McLeod - The smoke was worse than that down here for a day but has cleared up a lot.

Todd - There's nothing wrong with that track plan. I can see a lot of opportunities there. When you get going, give me a call and I'll see if I can come over and help.

Louis - Enjoying some of the old B&O photos.

Tony - Enjoying the photos of the old cars. They weren't old when I saw them, be it when I was in Australia or in the UK. That's what was modern. Guess I could be getting old.

Chad - Nice to the walls going up Progress.

Willie - As usual, I enjoy your photos and the scenes you are creating.

Been busy the last couple of days bringing the grade up under and in front of the covered parking area. Last winter we had a warm spell and with a foot of snow on the roof of the covered parking, a couple of people had a hard time getting into their cars with around 5 to 6 inches of water the cars were sitting in. I also put some downspout defusers under the downspouts so the water flow would stop digging holes in the gravel parking area. Finally getting caught up with chores missed while I was gone.

Have to head down to the post office and send the title sent off to my daughter for the car I gave her. She was driving some Lexus SUV with a gas guzzling V-8. Got more vehicles that I know what to to with spreadall over the state. Don't have anywhere to store them up here.

20181111_161620.jpg
20181111_162132.jpg
20181111_162205.jpg

Afternoon All,

Started out today with a walk at 71F and damp from the overnight rain. Supposed to get up to 91F today. I had several indoor chores that took most the morning then I added the foliage to the current tree builds. I'll mount them tomorrow. MOH wanted to go to the farm store by our house where we bought a 10 lb bag of dried worms (for skunks) and a 25 lb bag of parrot food. That came out to a cool $101. After that we went to Wally World and thankfully beat the going home crowd or the weekend crowd.

Joe- Interesting info about the cabin car. I remember your old "handle" and now I know the significance of it.

Hughie- That's funny and wouldn't be surprised at all at anything these days.

Willie- Nice scenes and detailing.

Hutch- Congratulations on the milestone.

moermusic- I'm sorry to hear of your son's fire damage.

Chet- Great Logan Valley photos.

I hope everyone has a good night.

I forgot to post this picture in the bathroom at the VA hospital yesterday. I guess they think veterans like to wash their hands in the toliet instead of the sink.View attachment 168715
Amazon stations have toilets equipped with sharp devices to prevent things like baby wipes from being flushed. I have no idea how it works.
The warning is to not put your hands in to remove a wipe that has caused a clog. They have a tool for that, as shown at the bottom of the picture.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back