Running Bear's May 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
A couple old pics of an old trestle. I used to ride my bike 3 miles to play in the river next to the foundation pile stubs. Most of the fun was going down the 100 foot decline , trying to not get road rash from the pavement. 3972 ft long; 120 ft, high; 80 ft wide at the base & 10 feet at the top . built 1910; dismantled 1924

Bridge.jpg

bridge 2.jpg

bridge 3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Alan: Base coat looks good. That's going to e a fine looking train.

Curt: Let's face it, in order to get the results you want, ya gotta put in the time.

Today, I took advantage of the weather to cut my lawn. I varied my pattern a bit, but I was able to get everything cut and trimmed. The stiff NW Breeze that kicked in after lunch, helped with the clean up.

We replaced our Keurig Coffee maker. the old one was beginning to show wear, and the new one brews 12oz. mugs with a single K-cup.

After I finish this, I'm heading to the basement to work on a crossover switch. I also have to solder a few feeder wires.

Ivy City Pit December 1980.jpg

Engine Pit, December 1980 The E8 in the foreground was the first of class E8 purchased by the Pennsylvania Railroad. It is one of two E8s delivered with a oscillating light and a headlight. Subsequent PRR E8s were delivered with a single headlight. The GG1 awaits its next assignment, as does the SDP40F in the background. For those of y'all not familiar wit Ivy City, it locates parallel to New York Ave NE, in DC. It was a great place to see power from the B&O, C&O, RF&P, ACL, AL and Southern, as well as the PRR, and the Terminal Company, all visible from New York Avenue.

Looks like the height of the car on the right is higher.

The JUNE MR MAG has two HO layouts of interest. FRISCO and GN. Also in N, a FIVE foot WOOD trestle with the MLKW road.
Spoke to CURT about the BLI passenger streamlined K4s. ONLY $549.99. Thankfully he only runs freight.
Hope all are well and safe
Phil

Hello Shop Dwellers!

First of all, Thanks of you who posted the "likes" and supportive comments on my in-process chain link fence project: Phil, Joe, Garry, Guy, Willie, Patrick, Tom, Karl, Sherrell, and Curt.

Willie - I really like that scrap metal recycling facility you're building! I and some other RRISIG members got a tour of one of those places in Detroit back in 2003, quite an experience. I'd sure love to have one of those on my layout but I just don't have enough space for it.

Joe - I remember when I was 13 and my family had just moved to Maryland, my father was driving us on New York Avenue right past Ivy City - I truly believed every railroad in the entire US had locos in that place! Never dreamed that 3 years later, 3 out of every 4 of those trains would be gone *sigh*

Greg - I'll see your weathered GP38-2 and raise you THIS::p
7039_F7A_800x600.jpg

(It was idling on the "ready" track at Riverside engine terminal when I shot this photo in August 1972.)

I decided to knock off early and use 2 hours of my accumulated vacation time, so I could continue my struggle with the Walthers chain link fence. Geez, I hate that kit so much!!! It never ceases to surprise me, and not in good ways. Today I spent ~3 hours doing my first set of gate hinges. The "female" pieces that go on the gates are enormously tiny, roughly the size of a flea. I grabbed my Xuron sprue cutter and attempted to clip the first one off, and carefully did this in the [kit] box so the piece wouldn't fall on the floor and into the Abyss. But when I made the cut, the Xuron jaws apparently acted like a slingshot - the piece bounced off the bottom of the box and out, into The Great Beyond. Luckily I wasn't planning to use all eight of those pieces... I won't bore you with the remainder of things that I kept having to do repeatedly several times before I got them to stay put.

I looked up Brisbane on the computer. I am favorably impressed. The city looks very attractive in the photos.
Because I live about 1-1/2 hours by car, out of town and there are quite a few one way, 4 lane streets in the central city, going both ways in some cases, I avoid going in there if at all possible. But there are times when you can't. I got caught a beauty one time. My wife had several appointments at a Hospital at a suburb near the city but just on the other side. Had my route to and from all worked out and it was fine till on the last one I decided to stop at a gas station that was situated on a crossroads intersection's corner with traffic lights controlling the intersection. The road I came off was 2 way. Filled up and the only exit was onto the crossover road. So, on driving out, I turned back towards the intersection and began driving back to the lights. Next thing there's 4 lanes of cars accelerating towards me, stretching right across. It must have been a not uncommon occurrence to have "out of Townie's" do this, because they all came to a standstill while I made a 'U' turn in front of them. Darned if I could recall seeing any warnings or arrows at the servo station exit.

Looks like the height of the car on the right is higher.

The JUNE MR MAG has two HO layouts of interest. FRISCO and GN. Also in N, a FIVE foot WOOD trestle with the MLKW road.
Spoke to CURT about the BLI passenger streamlined K4s. ONLY $549.99. Thankfully he only runs freight.
Hope all are well and safe
Phil
Wow, that's Lionel O scale prices!

Good morning Everybody!

I've not had much chance to "play" with the post button over the last few days.

Lot's to do and my little Angel had two days off. I love my train buddies, but I'll take any chance I have to spend time with my wife! It's so good to be able to say that. Karl knows what I'm talking about.

I did a few evening routes for Amazon. Light loads 16-23 stops each and extra pay. Work for an hour, hour and half tops and get paid extra for 4 hours. It's like riding the gravy train! That fits into my core business philosophy; Less work, for more pay!

That reminds me of these guys, they are hilarious! Mo money, mo money!
And Bugs Bunny gets banned? WTF? People need to have a sense of humor.

The few customers I encounter are extra nice and traffic has not slowed me a bit recently.

Traffic has been mostly light everywhere, except for pedestrian and bike traffic in residential areas, but I always drive slow in residential areas.

I have noticed some people are no better at ridding bikes than they are at driving.

I think many people have "cabin fever". I even saw a few people playing what I call "bootleg" golf. The golf courses in Maryland are still closed, but I've seen several people who walked on to play a few holes. It looked like fun!

Have a great day everybody!

This video popped up after the first one. there are some benefits to being tracked and spied on? ;) Cookies, that sounds nice, who doesn't want a cookie?
This and the previous video I posted are from the TV showing "In Living Color" It was often extremely funny and the "Fly Girls" were always fun to watch! Did you know Jennifer Lopez was a Fly Girl? The music they danced to was not for me, thank God for the mute button.

I don't concern myself with being politically correct. I just try to treat Everybody with the respect they are due, while keeping my sense of humor!

I got a few new Toys delivered Saturday and more yesterday!

This arrived Saturday from Mr. Muffin's Trains The name may be silly, but their shipping impressed me. I ordered it on April 27th at 7:48pm and it arrived May 2nd at 2:36pm!
1588675668613.png

The rest came from the online Lionel Store. I have to get down to Concorde, NC to see the brick and mortar store. I better take my cargo van when I go!
LCS WIFI MODULE
1588674525622.png

LCS DB9 CABLE WITH POWER SUPPLY
1588674577335.png

Along with some Christmas cards and Christmas ornament. I'm a sucker for Lionel and Christmas, combine the two and some things become irresistible! I love the online Lionel Store!
1588674716864.png

1588674795274.png

When my grandsons were very little guys they would play on the floor with their toys. Christmas time I usually had the Music Choice Christmas channel playing on the TV.

Every time my youngest grandson spotted a snowman on TV he would announce "Snowman!" :)

Since then I have been buying snowman items whenever I see them. Whenever I see one it always brings a smile to my face and joy to my heart.

Memories are our true treasures. Toy trains aren't bad either!

Morning all,

Had some train time again yesterday and actually ran trains over the newly wired turnouts. It's a lot more fun than hitting doing it manually, however I need to get them marked as I often forgot to reset them and some derailments occurred. I did find a rail joiner that somehow was missed before I set the track and had to deal with that, but the track is generally in good shape. I need to clean it though. When I went upstairs the wife asked what I still needed, and so we ordered the left switch machines I still needed from MTS and found them on sale....once they're here it won't take long to get them wired.

We're starting to get some stores reopened, so I need to get some paint to paint the ties and rails. Hopefully I can get some time for that over the next couple of weeks. I know Grandma is going to want me to do the same for the grandson's layout as well.

One thing I've noticed in the past couple of months is fewer trains running in my area. They are even storing empty auto carrier cars on what was once mainline trackage. An interesting observation yesterday was there was a consist of covered hopper cars some fairly new ones in the mix. First time I've ever seen 6 sequentially number cars in a row. I did manage to get about 20 cars in a sequence, however not one behind the other as in the case of the 6.

Good Morning All. Happy Cinco de Mayo. It's overcast and 63°. The rain that wasn't in the forecast, came last night in the form of a brief thunderstorm as a cool front moved through. I found 0.35" in the rain gauge this morning. Cool front indeed, today's high might only reach 78° after 93° yesterday.
Received a call from the pool liner replacement guy yesterday, they're coming out tomorrow. So today I will remove the winter cover and drain pump the remaining water out. It's too bad that I cannot send the water to the garden, I just don't have enough 1" pipe to get that far. This means a trip to town for pool chemicals Thursday. It will only take about 4-5 hours to pump the water out, but about 24 hours to fill it back up.

Just a normal pair of sunny-side-up eggs with a stack of sausage patties this morning Flo.

Thanks for the comments and likes yesterday regarding the project progress; Ray, Tom, Patrick, Guy, Garry, Joe, Karl, Greg, Curt, Phil, Jerome, Ken, Louis.

Out in the train shed yesterday, I painted and weathered the ferrous shear.
05-05-20 001.JPG
05-05-20 002.JPG

It now looks like the one that I see at the local scrap recycler, except mine looks newer.
After coming up blank Sunday in my search for the electromagnet that I will be using on the 25 ton crane, I found it yesterday. Unfortunately I cannot find the rigging instructions for the crane. I did find a couple of pictures on the Internet of completed models that will assist.
In between, I ballasted a few feet of main line over in another area that is now ready.

Ray -
Your metal shear reminded me of a machine they had at a recycling yard in Auckland NZ. A Metal shredder. I never got to see it (or hear it, I'm glad to say) in operation 'cause the only time I saw it was when, just before emigrating to Aus, I took a truckload of our old fridges etc out to it. Couldn't sell them, too old by then. Wasn't all that big but it had two auto bodies, only minus wheels and tires, sitting on a sloping upward, ramp conveyor, waiting till the following weeks work to be dropped into it's hopper. What came out the other end was bits of metal about the size of a shoe.
That's exactly what this does. Metal such as appliances and stuff goes into the hopper. They then close the cover. The long cylinder on the back side pushes everything forward, the smaller of the two vertical hydraulic cylinders is the clamping cylinder and the larger is the shear cylinder. Everything then comes out the red door. In the case of carbodies, the local place just sends them through a compactor/baler.
Guy - Nice progress on the flatcars. Why are there six couplers though? Wishing your song birds the best of luck.
Joe - As a kid, I regularly got to see those NYC passenger trains at the station in Chatham NY, when we visited the family summer home nearby. I was impressed back then.
Curt - Glad to read that you got the lights working.

Everybody have a great day and don't overdo the Corona Beer, lest you get a virus! ;)

Greetings from Herr Comrade Newsom's fiefdom where he has graciously provided a list of 87 outdoor actives that we are allowed to do - such as "Watch the Sunset" and "Play catch"! No wonder people are becoming fed up! An interesting battle going on with the Governor and the beach cities in Orange County which is about the last remaining Republican stronghold in the State.

It's supposed to be 91 here today - up from 85 yesterday - and Palm Springs will most likely reach triple digits today.
The Spousal Unit rode with me to the Riverside Kaiser facility for my CT Scan yesterday morning where we basically encountered very few folks - the parking lot was less than half full as opposed to having to circle in order to find a spot. She did not enter with me and just wanted to remind me 53 times to NOT touch anything and to wash my hands (even if I did not touch anything). She is terrified of either one of us getting this virus and passing it to her almost 99 YO mom; of course, my mildly COPD and her asthma don't need to flirt with that mess either.

Good Morning, Willie! There are six couplers because I have a boxcar on the go as well as the two flatcars.
There is very little movement on either railcar project at this time. I'm just too busy to do much modeling right now.
What are you so busy with? Watching the snow melt? LOL-LOL! Willie beat me to the question of the six couplers. I thought maybe that you weren't telling all? That's terrible about the birds getting hit on the roadway - poor little guys!

Still, no stimulus has shown up? I tried going on to the IRS site and entering banking info but cannot seem to do that. I have not had a refund deposit as I always carry forward what little refund into the next year, so I am not sure why, but the website keeps telling me that I am not entering the correct information, "your entry does not match what we have on file"? I am beginning to think maybe I have been hacked?
On another note - MOH filed for unemployment for her "home saloon" and it was approved in 4 days and "checks in the mail" they say.

OK - I better go and see about repairing a busted lawn sprinkler that the yard guy must have hit on Saturday. I noticed a 20-foot stream of water shooting straight up yesterday morning - we have 127 psi from the meter on the sprinkler side.

I'll be back - It's getting hard to keep up with all the posts - that's nice!

Good morning y'all. Happy Cinco de Mayo! 50° and sunny. Now that I have three tomato plants and a pepper planted and the lettuce is growing, we are expecting a freeze over the weekend. :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Are my eyes deceiving me or are those wheels different sizes?

Louis:
Probably...it is not unusual to have cars with different wheels. Coupler mismatches are common, not only of freight equipment, but on Amfleet coaches.

Ken: Sorry to learn you are having so much trouble with the fence kit. I recently "found" three older style chain link fence kits, with lace and white metal components. They are just sitting until I get brave enough to fence in the Ford Plant and Penn Steel Castings. I was hoping Walthers offering would be better,but now, after your experience, I look to Woodland Scenics announced fence.

Reminds me of the night we were shifting Kimberly Clark in Spotswood, NJ. We shoved down hill to the facility with 6 box cars, and the brakeman riding the rear stopped the movement. He called the conductor on the radio, and I will never forget the quote: "Yo, J.J., ya know the gate, that used to be here..." :oops::oops::oops: The gate was always open, then they brought in a new security team, and someone closed the gate. Billy, the brakeman didn't expect to find it closed until....and it was foggy. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Ken: Your reminiscences of driving past Ivy City, are similar to my observations when I made my very first trip to DC . It was so neat to see those different engines, just sitting there. I never imagined there were so many railroads, not the Pennsylvania, Reading or B&O. ;)

Willie: Not for nothing, I like the Cigar band scheme more than the Classic Lightning Stripe scheme. I like how your metal shredder is coming along.
I also like the corrugated fencing in the background...perfect for a metal recycling facility.

Is it me, or are we moving away from the Corona Virus Crisis? Seems like the news is not reporting deaths any longer, and the facility where the MIL is at has declared everyone is "cured". Of course, this is no consolation to those who have lost family members to this and other diseases, but I can't help but wonder if it was as bad as originally presented.

CNJ Baldwin DRX 6-4-2000.jpg

Not the best quality photo, but this captures the CNJ in the 50s.

Gee , SHERREL , we got our stimulus checks on the 29th.

Phil and Sherrel: I'm finally supposed to get my Tax return credited sometime between 5/6 and 5/11 of this year. That's after filing twice, once in February and the second 6 weeks later. The stimulus, not yet.. Meanwhile, the MIL received her stimulus two weeks ago. There is no rhyme or reason to this distribution.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back