Running Bear's May 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where are you? In the nose? Ears? ?
Up the coast from Canberra, where the left line of the double line crosses the coast, you might make out the word Coast, Above that is Brisbane. I'm in that Cities northenmost suburb. The long name inland is Toowoomba, known as the Garden City. The Queensland-New South Wales state's border is that near horizontal line with the wiggly end near the coast, the Tweed River.
Canberra City, on the other hand, is both Australia's Capital, but is in an especially created mini-state called the Australian Capital Territory (A.C.T.). It's both home to the Federal parliament and that Territories as well, inside the state of New South Wales.

You can make out most of the other state's borders, with Western Australia being the largest in land mass. Victoria is below NSW with most of it's coastline facing south and a bit coming up the east. The border is not easy to see, as it's mostly rivers. Tasmania, you can just spot an island off it's northern coast, below Victoria.
Just above Scooby's nose is Port Hedland, which is where most of the Pilbara regions to the north, iron ore is mined and the SD70AC'es/SD90MAH etc work the rail lines that carry it to the port.

Good morning Everybody!

Cutting the back yard grass yesterday kicked my butt! I did not even make an attempt to do the front. It's already rained today and they are calling for intermittent rain all day. I have a good excuse now.

I baked a half a ham yesterday. I deboned it this morning. The bone is in the pot with cabbage and potatoes and the deli slicer will take care of the rest. Man it smells good in here and my Mom is going to love it! Fresh backed ham and uncooked cabbage for breakfast, that was good! Did I mention I love cabbage? :)

Have a great day Everybody!

Good Morning All. Partly cloudy and 69°, expecting lower 90's today after 87° yesterday. A bit muggy right now with a relative humidity of 89%.
Worked on the pool yesterday. Removed the accumulation of debris and leaves off the winter cover and pumped all of the water off. I need some major work this year before reopening. I need to re-level one side where the ground has shifted and two columns (out of 17) have sunk, and I need to install a new vinyl liner. It's all work that I could do myself, but I am going to hire a professional firm to do it this time. It would take me the better part of two or three days, while they could complete it in 5-6 hours. Hauling 1000# of sand from the driveway to the pool and heaving those 50# bags over the 52" tall pool side is the deal breaker. Waiting on a call back on Monday to schedule a date before I pump the 13000 gallons of water out. Don't want to do that until just before they arrive as the walls are not too stable without the water inside. I also removed part of the deck to make things more accessible. I have to replace the liner about once every 8-10 years, so this ain't my first rodeo! Goal again this year is to be in the water by Memorial Day. It will take 7-10 days for the sun to warm the water up to an acceptable level.

Poached eggs and a handful of bacon today Francine. A whole wheat English Muffin would be good with that.

Thanks for all of the likes and comments regarding the current projects; Louis, Guy, Bob, Joe, Garry, Chet, Jerome, Tom, Curt, Chad, Phil, Ken, James. Time to move forward, although I have a couple of notes for a bit of improvement.

I managed to get a little extra time in the train shed yesterday. In order to give myself a side project to do while paint/glue dries on other projects, I painted 42' of track and roadbed. Now I can do some ballast a bit at a time for a few weeks. I am a simplistic track painter. I just use a rattle can of Model Master's Light earth and spray about 3', at a time and then immediately wipe off the tops of the rails. Before ballasting, I will randomly paint some of the ties with various shades of brown and gray paint. I usually paint some of the visible rail sides with shades of rust here and there.
Meanwhile I have selected my next layout upgrade project and started it. You may remember the partial metal scrapyard on the other side of the tracks from the confectionery/cow pasture/grain elevator/antique shop. Time to do some more to it.
Here are a couple of views after I completed the fencing, along with a few of the future elements in place.
05-03-20 001.JPG

05-03-20 003.JPG

05-03-20 002.JPG

Over on the workbench, I started the other major piece, the Walther's ferrous shear kit that I recently got from the LHS, pre-pandemic.
05-03-20 004.JPG

Looks to be relatively simple, just one sprue of parts and the instructions appear to be better than most Walther's instruction sheets.
05-03-20 005.JPG

Once this is assembled and the exact footprint is known, then I can add stuff from the box of junk that I accumulated for this scene.

Garry -
I think we should all be politically incorrect and proud of it.
I resemble that statement!
I like your daily train shed progress reports;. Please continue.
I hope to continue for a long time to come. I have enough projects to last well into the decade.
Chet - I randomly print something on my ink-jet printer about once every two weeks just to keep it in running order.
Chad - I don't mind the long posts. It is really nice to read about the why's and where's of some of the foreign railroads. Your post yesterday regarding the nose shape of Japanese commuter trains was especially enlightening.

Everybody have a great day.

On this date (May 3rd) in 1904 Cy Young pitching for the Boston Red Sox threw the first perfect game in the modern Era against the Philadelphia Athletics

Cy Young and Rube Waddell really, really did not like each other. Young was the grizzled veteran, a living legend still going strong in the twilight of his Hall of Fame career. Waddell was the brash newcomer, a kid from rural Pennsylvania with a loud mouth, a blazing fastball and a penchant for wrestling alligators in his spare time. Waddell's Philadelphia A's had won the 1902 American League pennant. Young's Boston Americans had won the 1903 World Series. They were the two best pitchers on the two best teams in the American League -- and in 1904, the feud finally bubbled over into a full-blown rivalry.
Waddell had already faced Boston twice that season, outdueling Young himself on April 25 and tossing a one-hitter on May 2. He was on top of his game ... so, naturally, he started talking some trash: Waddell openly challenged Young in the press, daring the icon to face him again.

A massive weekday crowd of 10,627 packed into Boston's Huntington Avenue Grounds for one of the most anticipated games of the season. Waddell struggled, at least by his standards -- he surrendered 10 hits in all, and after escaping some early jams, the Americans finally got to him for three late runs. Young, on the other hand, was perfect.
The big righty got some help from his defense -- particularly his personal catcher, Lou Criger, who nearly fell over the Boston bench grabbing a foul pop -- but for the most part he was dominant, striking out eight and inducing weak contact all day. Inning after inning went by, until finally, Young was one out away from perfection ... and Waddell was the batter standing in his way. (Not that Rube was a particularly good hitter -- A's manager Connie Mack let the pitcher bat for himself because he liked the drama.)
Young got his counterpart to fly out, sealing the first perfect game in the modern era and the first in the young history of the American League. As the crowd stormed the field around him, Young made sure to seek out Waddell, and asked him one simple question: "How do you like that, you hayseed?"

By Chris Landers
July 19, 2017

1588512612742.png

Luvin all the posts and PIC! TOOT, still waiting on those pics; I guess maybe they can't find any new ones?

I'm bored ... There, I said it! Ready for all this foolishness to be over with; I am beginning to question the "shutting down" ... I think most of the damage had already happened. No new cases in 5 days here locally and still zero deaths. I think that Riverside County had (I forget) 50-100 new cases - but, that encompasses a lot of people.

I managed to get a few chores done yesterday and have a list for today.

Francine -- A large burrito this morning with cheese and bacon, a glass of OJ too, please.

Willie - only supposed to reach 80 today, but back into the 90's in a couple of days. I'll send some your way to help you heat the pool?

Alan - Your COSF cars are beautiful - great work!

I missed reading all the posts from yesterday - will have to backtrack and catch up.
That's all for now - you'all play nice!

Good Morning Everyone....sunny and the temperature is forecasted to be in the low 70's and then back into the 50's next week. Milleerr Time later out in our four season room!!!

When to the cabin yesterday to meet the contractor who's installing the replacement sliding door. The contractor is a small company, but has a pool of craftsmen that he can hire to build anything from sheds to lake homes. He's one Contractor that can be totally trusted. I was going to replace a toilet flush valve and he took it from me and installed for me at no cost. As a bonus the Contractor had his son vacuumed the cabin's carpet to remove the pieces of broken glass from the bullet ridden door. The bullets that when through the glass sent broken glass all over the cabin.

Perfect day at the cabin with the temperature 75 degrees and we did a lot of work to prepare the cabin fo open in a week or so.

Friday, I installed the rear window wiper and cabin air filter on her car. It's an easy project(s) once it's been done and you learn the tricks. The cabin filter takes maybe 3 minutes. I plan on emailing the owner of the Toyota Dealership that inspected the cabin filter and the dealer wanted an hour's labor to replace the filter. Well if they opened the glove box and removed the filter to show my wife how bad the filter was why not simply install another filter at cost instead of charging the labor to replace the filter after they already had removed it??? To top it off they didn't reinstall the glove box properly.

After lunch I'll finish that GP38-2 with just one coupler to install. On Friday, I dropped one of the coupler box covers and it's nowhere to be found. I looked everywhere and it's gone. Need to look for a replacement from a piece of rolling stock since I tried to fit a Kadee coupler box and it didn't fit.

Received a email from a member of our informal train group and he included photos of his layout. His HO layout is really great and I enjoyed watching it evolve over the years.

Still searching the web for a Scale Trains C&NW GP38-2.

More to follow later....

Greg

Good afternoon. Happy Sunday! The morning dampness and drizzle has given way to sunlight and 77°.

Alan:
The COSF cars are OUTSTANDING!

Garry: Fire trucks are like locomotives...cool machines. Many model railroads have a fire station. The "Life Like" fire station, is a model of a Baltimore City Fire Station, located at 1251 Gorsuch Ave, housing Baltimore City Engine 33.

Chet & Chad: The Japanese trainsets you posted are interesting gems we rarely see here. The new Acela replacement, has an aerodynamic front also. I'm not fond of this design, as it violates my vision of a proper streamliner, but I imagine, the Pioneer Zephyr and other new trains of the 1930s, and even the GG1 also violated esthetics.

Louis: Enjoyed your comments about Cy Young, and Rube Waddell. Imagine where we would be if those old timers were handled the way modern pitchers are. Guaranteed, there would be no Cy Young Award.

NYC 4059 leads Mail Train @ Hudson, NY 9-2-1968.jpg

Penn Central Mail Train at Hudson, NY. 7 months after the merger, these diesels were still painted / lettered for the NYC.

Afternoon All,

Well today has been frustrating. I hooked up the lighting a new way with a current limiter and conductive tape (copper). It took me 2 hours to hook everything up (in series) (4 interior lights and 2 exterior lights) after placing the power lines (connect to buss) , I tested and nothing:mad::mad::mad:. I rechecked things with a no go. Based on this I guess tomorrow I will go old school and wire each light individually.

Chad- Those are impressive looking locos.

Alan- Beautiful modeling.

Willie- Looking forward to seeing the junk yard.

Joe- Nice photo.

I hope everyone has a good night.

The Spousal Unit and I started "binge watching" a Netflix show called BOSCH about a LosAngeles detective and we can't stop ... 2-4 episodes each evening ... fascinating!
Think we may order take-out this evening from our favorite Mexican establishment - we are sort of tired of eating our own food?

I have what I hope is my last CT Scan tomorrow morning for my 5 year cancer finale - sure do hope it is the last one! - feel like I should own a share of that machine? Most generally I may have to have another for the vascular surgeons who did the heart re-plumbing and aneurysm repairs at the downtown LA hospital -- where I spent a year of my life in the operating room one day!

Later folks -- CHADBAG, BORIS, LOUIS, WILLIE and all .. Nice photos!
Sorry for your failure today, CURT!

To all who complimented the COSF cars, Thank You! They are a labor of love. I currently have the articulated Diner/Kitchen/Coffee Shop in the oven with the yellow baking. If all goes well, the shells will get sprayed gray this evening. Minuteman is slow shipping orders due to Covid restrictions, and the fact that he is a one man show. I may run out of Harbor Mist Gray, but if I do, I'll just prime and yellow everything until the yellow runs out! I also snuck a 10-6 blunt end sleeper into the mix. It's not for this train, but is a car I have searched for for some ten years before finding one. My wallet still aches a bit from that one but it's a pretty car and was worth the wait. :oops: That one will go on the Overland. Pics soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back