Running Bear's March 2024 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning!
FAMILY GUY_DOG.png

1711791932716.png

On this day in 1946, Nickel Plate #626 heads north across the Wabash at Peru, Indiana.
(Photo is courtesy of M. D. McCarter Photographs /Hoosier Valley Railroad Museum)

Let's see if this works?
We are running about 20 degrees below normal for this time of year!

Temecula Forecast Summary
TodayTomorrowMonday
Rain, Mostly cloudy
Showers, Mostly cloudy
Chance of showers, Partly sunny
Rain, Mostly cloudy Showers, Mostly cloudy Chance of showers, Partly sunny
High: 56°FHigh: 57°FHigh: 62°F
Low: 43°FLow: 42°FLow: 43°F

Good morning all. Flo, good to see you again. Keep the coffee coming and a blueberry muffin, please. When you see Bob give him the drink of his choice and put it on my tab.

Off-line 24 hours here, but glad it is back

Yesterday we spoke to friends and family in Wick (Scotland), London (England), Florence (Italy) and Villach (Austria). Today I have zoom meeting with Ships and Shipbuilding friends in New York.

Back Later

Last edited:
Good morning from a very wet morning in So. Central Wisconsin. The rain per the weather app is to cease after 6:45 or about 10 minutes from now. Again if the weather guessers would look out the window they would see that the rain stopped before 5am. I know because I looked out the windows then!

Bob, great job getting the forum back together. Thank you.

Today according to the USPS system tracking the 2 packages out for delivery yesterday are again listed as out for delivery today. I have 1 weathering client in a total panic as he has 1 box of the new ST containers coming direct to me and they didn’t arrive here yesterday.

The down turn in the economy (the stock market is not the economy) continues to affect the Facebook and EBay weathering sales for me. Last May I started noticing it but it has really gone away since the 1st of the year. However, I am as busy as I want to be on commission stuff. I have/had a couple of my own weathering projects going on but those will have to cease for awhile. My accountant and harshest weathering critic is my wife! She was down in the studio yesterday helping me organize. After lunch on Friday afternoon 2 empty blue bins showed up from storage. The command was, “put your stuff in these”. So, we did! No personal projects (out of sight, out of mind) till I get way ahead but I’m still within my current 6 week lead time. Sometimes I just need a kick in the backside. Actually she wants to make sure while she is gone next week I don’t live at the bench. Which I have been known to do. While my lead times are 6 weeks, I work on a 4 week internal schedule! My scheduling when I worked always used to drive new staff nuts until they figured it out. I always put leeway into a timeline. Back at it this morning on the last batch of ST reefer cars

Enjoy your day

Good Morning All on this Easter Saturday. It's mostly cloudy and 61°, expecting 79° later today. It only managed 76° yesterday...cooler temps expected on Tuesday after a rainy Monday.

As expected, I did do some mowing yesterday, especially the areas where I trimmed low-hanging branches that prevented me from getting to last week. I'll be proactive and get a little more today since I won't be home tomorrow and the forecast is for rain on Monday. I'll also be preparing an Italian Pasta Salad for my family's Easter gathering at my sister's home on the outskirts of Dallas tomorrow. 41 people have RSVP'd, however I don't believe most of the third generation will be eating the Pasta Salad.

I was out in the train shed for a short while yesterday; ran some trains and started weathering a freight car. This is a 35 year old Athearn Blue Box covered hopper.
I originally applied the graffiti decals Wednesday and sprayed dull coat on it Thursday.
IMG_1513.JPG

IMG_1514.JPG
IMG_1508.JPG
IMG_1509.JPG

These are Blair Line decals which come on a laser-cut sheet which makes trimming unnecessary.
IMG_1511.JPG

I only add graffiti on one side of a freight car, since most of my layout is viewable only from the aisle and no one sees the opposite sides. I have made exceptions though.
Yesterday I started the weathering. None of my weathering is as intense as what Tom, Chris or Tom O do over on the weathering thread, but what I do works for me. I do light weathering and rarely go beyond dry-brushing and weathering powders. Here I've used dirt and two shades of rust.
IMG_1522.JPG

I do weather both sides though.
IMG_1523.JPG

This car represents one used to haul fertilizer on my layout. You can see some dry-brushing of yellow on the right top of the first photo, and white just above the "N" in the second. It is more visible in person. That's the general colors of fertilizer. This car is not quite done yet, it needs a little more tweaking.

Patrick - Ironically, the problem knee for my wife was the first one that was done in the hospital setting, it got infected and had to have two surgeries to fix. The first to remove the old one and clean it out; and the second to put in a second new one. Her other knee was done in an out-patient clinic and she has had no problems at all with it.
Swal - I actually really miss not going to real concerts since I stopped. I might have ventured out to see this Heart/Cheap Trick concert despite the hearing issue, if ticket prices were a little more reasonable. I like both bands. Only Ann and Nancy Wilson are still original members of Heart, but 3 of the 4 original members of Cheap Trick are still together. I don't know who their drummer is now.
Bob - Thanks again for the effort that you put into righting the forum again.

Everybody have a great day.

Good morning gang!!

Flo my dear, how about a breakfast burrito and a mug of coffee!

37° right now, warming up to the 50s before rain comes in this afternoon. Another week of the local street rods meeting in the HD parking lot will be rained out. :(

Bob, knock on wood but I think you got it this time. Thanks for sticking with it!👍

10943787_636660743111060_6894141738848392406_o.jpg

Happy Daze y'all!!!

Bob, knock on wood but I think you got it this time. Thanks for sticking with it!👍

10943787_636660743111060_6894141738848392406_o.jpg

Happy Daze y'all!!!

Thank you! It’s a constant battle, just like any computer. Something gets changed or updated and things break.

It’s like how wireless printers work fine, then suddenly one day they can no longer be found and you have to start over.

The one consolation for all the effort is that things are running nicely again, rather than just “good enough”. Here’s hoping it continues!

Sherrel. I have handled enough of the stuff when I was a young lad. Taken to either Hull or Liverpool, roping and sheeting tarpaulin over loads of flour or tea.
Yep, learned that in the military, bit hard to disguise a flipping Tank under one tho, worst one was trying to figure out how to rope and sheet a missile that was coming out of Greenham Common in such a way it didn't look like a nuclear missile.:)

I made an unpleasant discovery this morning.
Where I live, I am on a metered connection for my data. Last June, I paid to download nearly a terabyte of data for my purchased movies and tv episodes, so I could watch them later without continually hitting my data limit.
This morning, I tried watching one of my previously downloaded episodes,
and my computer couldn't locate it. I then pulled up the drive, and my 2tb drive was nearly empty.
I "knew" I'd downloaded the stuff, and had the bill to prove it.
It turns out Windows 11 has a setting buried in it that deletes data you haven't accessed lately. It's not storage sense, it's a new "feature" to help save you from something. I turned that feature off, and hope it doesn't get turned back on again in the next update.
In the meantime, I have a terabyte of movies and tv shows and games to re-download, and pay to do so.

Good morning all!

I'm coming to you from Birmingham AL. We set off yesterday morning heading to Florida for Spring break. We stayed the night in Birmingham at the Drury hotel. Gorgeous hotel. I have to give it a definite 5 stars. It took us about 10 hours of drive time. Just packing up to make the final push to Destin.

This is the first vacation where we planned nothing, and are going to let the cards fall where they may. It seems every vacation we go-go-go and are exhausted after them. This time we decided to get there and see where it takes us.

Have a great day everyone!

I made an unpleasant discovery this morning.
Where I live, I am on a metered connection for my data. Last June, I paid to download nearly a terabyte of data for my purchased movies and tv episodes, so I could watch them later without continually hitting my data limit.
This morning, I tried watching one of my previously downloaded episodes,
and my computer couldn't locate it. I then pulled up the drive, and my 2tb drive was nearly empty.
I "knew" I'd downloaded the stuff, and had the bill to prove it.
It turns out Windows 11 has a setting buried in it that deletes data you haven't accessed lately. It's not storage sense, it's a new "feature" to help save you from something. I turned that feature off, and hope it doesn't get turned back on again in the next update.
In the meantime, I have a terabyte of movies and tv shows and games to re-download, and pay to do so.
Yeah, that’s their bullshit one drive store everything in the cloud concept. Now, it can be useful! If you’re just dealing with spreadsheets and word documents, it’s fine. It also means you can access remotely and everything is backed up. If your computer dies, just get a new one and re-sync. All pretty dang cool! But… as soon as you start dealing with masive data, it fails miserably. “We can back up your photos” umm, no, you can’t. I don’t have that kind of bandwidth and I’m not paying hundreds for you to store it! Videos are even worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back