Running Bear's March 2024 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning!
FAMILY GUY_DOG.png

1711716055367.png

Muncie & Western #7, a 65 Ton GE switcher, is shown setting behind the south facility at Ball Brothers Glass in Muncie Indiana on May 4, 1992.
(Doug Boyd slide submitted by Matt Lappin./Hoosier Valley Railroad Museum)

Morning -- trying again this morning. We are 48 to start and looking for 63 with mostly cloudy.
Rain is in the forecast for tomorrow and most of Sunday - be tough on the Easter Egg hunters!

Flo, just coffee this morning .. Have to drop off the car for repair at 7:30, and then make an 8:30 chemo appointment - gonna be tight. Youngest daughter will have to drive Mama to her CTScan in Riverside this morn at 9:30 and then wait for her. It's hard enough being 3 using 2 cars, but three using 1 is going to really cause shuffling. Daughter living with us needs to get her own car as she is constantly hauling the boys somewhere plus to school and sports.

Well let us see if this posts better than earlier?

EDIT - Still slow - just not quite as bad!

Last edited:
Good Morning All, finally. Thanks Bob. Happy Good Friday. We were always off work today; I don't know about the rest of you. Cloudy here and 61°; upper 70's later on. High winds until sundown.

Spent heavily on the weekly grocery trek yesterday, there were several things on sale with a better than normal price, so we stocked up. Wine was 15% off if you bought 6 bottles or more, so my wife grabbed that many. Prices have stabilized for now, at least on the stuff that I buy. Gasoline ranged from $3.23/gal up to $3.39/gal at various stations and stores.

Looks like I'll be back on the mower again today since I'll lose the whole day Sunday. Mother Nature dictates what grows at this time of year before the Bermuda starts, and her choices don't grow at the same rate so it gets ragged-looking fast. I also need to spot-water some of the garden since it hasn't rained and the wind is drying seedling beds out fast.

I did some more freight car graffiti decals yesterday, since I have the stuff out for that. But first a couple of shots of the completed maintenance shed.
IMG_1499.001.jpg

IMG_1501.001.jpg

The forum isn't letting me "drag and drop" images right now, I am having to resize them first. A bit inconvenient from a time standpoint.
I'll resize some others first and post them later.

Chad - Your comment about the guy that doesn't drive is correct. Neither current or past Presidents or Vice Presidents are allowed to drive on public roads. George Bush once complained after leaving office, that he could only drive around inside his ranch.
Swal - Regarding the wild-caught Salmon, my local (to me) Kroger carries wild-caught Pacific Red Salmon in their frozen food case. I don't shop Costco since it is much further away.
Troy - I think that is the old header image, just a full picture instead of just the front end.
Sherrel - Yep! Still slow here, but at least it isn't timing out.

Everyone have a great Good Friday and a wonderful Easter weekend if I don't see you again.

Good morning, all! Chamber of Commerce weather.
Bob, looks like I spoke to fast or I jinxed your repairs. Took 3 attempts to log in, and just as slow as ever "liking" or turning a page.

Not sure if we are dyeing eggs or not.

STAY SAFE
LATER

It's back to running fast or totally dogging. Not sure if it's search spiders, just heavy traffic, spammers, memory leaks, what?

I'm still working and tuning stuff. Really annoying since yesterday afternoon the place was really flying, proving that the server does have enough power to do what we need, if I can find out what's going on to slow stuff down.

For example, at the moment, it's moving just fine. But yes, I did see the slowdowns earlier. It makes it much harder to track down the culprit.

Good morning All!!
Love that number 7 Bill!!!

Flo,

I'd like the number 5 special please!
Says it's the "Big Eddie" and comes with 5 pancakes, 5 scrambled eggs, 5 mix and match breakfast meats, plus 5 ounces of home fries.
Oh! I see there's 5 slices of toast too. Please make those rye with butter.
Large coffee too with triple shot of Irish cream. :)

Yes, wild caught salmon is by far the best. Once you've had it, farm raised salmon is definitely sub par.

I live in Seattle, so I can have fresh salmon on occasion. However, most of what I eat is the flash frozen stuff. They catch it and freeze it on the boat to keep it fresh. Then they thaw it later, filet it and put it out for sale. All of the Costcos around here have it. If you look closely, you'll see "previously frozen" or something like that on the label.

I wonder if Costco carries it nationwide, or it's just a regional thing. It's seasonal around here, but it's around much of the year.

I think they have it nationwide. I've seen it at various Costcos in places. We have it in our fleet of Costcos here in Utah (I'm like within 1 hour of about 13 Costcos IIRC).

I think it is a federal law that the fish need to be flash frozen on the boats for safety (at least the big commercial ones). I could be wrong but remember reading that somewhere.

Thanks Bob

I see Costco's has it Bob but order only. (7 days)

View attachment 185061
Did you try your local Costco -- walk in and look in the meat department, seafood sub department? They offer lots of stuff online that they don't have in store but our stores here usually have at least one form of wild salmon as well as the farmed Atlantic salmon (not great) or the farmed steel head (which is ok -- steel head being ocean going rainbow trout and basically a form of salmon).

Did you try your local Costco -- walk in and look in the meat department, seafood sub department? They offer lots of stuff online that they don't have in store but our stores here usually have at least one form of wild salmon as well as the farmed Atlantic salmon (not great) or the farmed steel head (which is ok -- steel head being ocean going rainbow trout and basically a form of salmon).

That's what it's like here in Seattle as well. It seems to alternate though, when they have the wild caught available, they put that out. When they don't, they use the farm raised. Seattle folks know the difference in taste, and it's very easy to see in the meat. Wild caught is a video bright red. The farm raised is more of a pale pink. I'm a bit of snob I guess, I won't eat farm raised, it's too bland. Might as well just eat cod, which I like, and save money.

That's what it's like here in Seattle as well. It seems to alternate though, when they have the wild caught available, they put that out. When they don't, they use the farm raised. Seattle folks know the difference in taste, and it's very easy to see in the meat. Wild caught is a video bright red. The farm raised is more of a pale pink. I'm a bit of snob I guess, I won't eat farm raised, it's too bland. Might as well just eat cod, which I like, and save money.
It all depends on what's available I guess but I was looking last week and they had the vacuum packed previously frozen wild (of some sort), the farm raised Atlantic, and the farm raised Steel Head. All in the cooler cabinets and ready to purchase.

We buy the wild but will buy the Steel Head if the wild is not available. Won't buy the farm raised Atlantic.

Then they have the frozen individually packed that come in a bag (so several individually packed in a bag) over in the frozen meat cabinets 9where the cheese, burger patties, and all that sort of thing is). Those they usually have farmed and wild as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back