Running Bear's March 2024 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Private Owner wagons seen at Leeds Sovereign Street Station & Yard. All are to the timescale of 1914/1919

IMG_3010.JPG

And at Clarence Dock Goods Yard.

IMG_3011.JPG

I have now placed an order for two London & North Western Railway (LNWR) boxvans. The real ones were seen regularly in Leeds.

Good Morning All. Cloudy, foggy and 54°. Mid to upper 60's for a few days with a 25% chance of rain this afternoon. Yesterday, it misted all day with a short thunderstorm around 8:30 last night. Didn't last long and left just 0.5" in the rain gauge. Just enough to make the ground wet until we get some wind Sunday.

A real busy trip to town yesterday starting with the weekly grocery trek that went OK. No noticeable increase in any costs, except gasoline all over the place is now $3.39/gal. I used my 70¢/gal fuel points, but some kind of pump malfunction actually gave me a 72¢/gal credit. I didn't complain. I made 5 more stops and was home in record time of 3 hours, which included a 30 minute trip each way! Along the way, I picked up the first months supply of liquid chlorine for the pool startup in a few weeks. At least that cost was still the same as last year, but from 2022 to 2023 it went up 33%. It's harder to find around May when the rest of the county is waking up to pool season. Wife did not go with me since March Madness basketball games were starting yesterday morning.

So, anyone keeping up with this solar eclipse next month? The path of totality is really close to me. My latitude and longitude will get 99.5%, 20 miles east will be total. All of the cities of Dallas and of Ft Worth will also be in totality. I believe that Troy in Ft Wayne and Tom in Cambria will also be in totality, or close to it. I noted last week that the Kroger store had a huge display of eclipse glasses for sale. I already have a couple of pairs.

Out in the train shed yesterday, I essentially finished up the storage shed.
IMG_1494.JPG

IMG_1495.JPG
IMG_1496.JPG

I will go back today and add a pair of gooseneck lamps over the doors and dull coat the metal roof. I'll weather the roof a bit as well, since no metal roofs look like that after a year in the elements. I'll look through the details collection to see if I have anything else to add.

Sherrel - I tend to like the house a couple of degrees warmer than Arlene I'm best with 72°-76°; she likes 70°. At least I don't have to wear a jacket!
David - Great news about Dawn.
Hughie - At least the dog got a shower.
Tom in MO - I just turn spell-check off. Thanks - NOT! I'll be humming that damn Roger Miller song all day now!:(
Patrick - At least you can see your feet!;) You're not that old. Always remember that we are all dying from the day we're born!

Boy, it sure has been hard keeping up with all of the new threads and posts lately. I have had to let some slide by. I might catch up a bit today since it's too wet to do anything constructive outside except for a walk.
Everybody have a fantastic Friday and have a wonderful weekend if I don't see you before then.

Another 47 degree start and hopefully a 73 high. Was 75 yesterday which is great.
I have actually felt very good most of this week after Monday; another round of Chemo will start on Tuesday - which will make me feel lousy again.

TomO - I have a love affair with ABBA! I was in Saudi Arabia when they were at their top and as such I did not pay much attention to them at that time. Fact is I did not even know who they were at the time. At the present I have a CD in my truck that I am trying to wear out ... I listen to it all the time. Kate and I went to the musical , Mama Mia, a couple years ago when it played locally. It was AWESOME!

Kate and I stopped by the MEX place, Guadalajara Mexican Grill for an early dinner Wednesday.
We had not been there in a couple years. She and I both agreed that it is the best around, and can't figure out why we have overlooked for a time. We shall correct that!

FLO - Please ask MEL for a garbage omelet with a plate of bacon on the side - a diet DP to drink PATU!

Good morning from a snow filled landscape in So. Central Wisconsin. It was snowing when we were getting out of the theater last night at 10:20pm but it melted as it hit the pavement. 3-7” accumulation was on the weathering guessers app yesterday and the app showed a few minutes ago, that we have received 4”. They do need to look out a window or better yet step outside. We might have 1” and it looks a lot less to me but the flakes floating down are big ones. The school district web-site indicates they are closed for unsafe travel conditions
Dont know about your area, but they totally got our forcast wrong. We were supposed to get 1-3" overnight into this morning and just had just enough to wet the road and a few white patches on the ground,

Most has melted off since the temps are a couple degrees above freezing.

Morning folks

28F, foggy, and an occasional snowflake. The forecast high is 49F but as with migalyto, that forecast is rarely applicable to our place and is usually for the NOAA station at Bozeman-Yellowstone International located 8 miles west in Belgrade. Something about a 1000' elevation difference from Belgrade, and the orographic effect of a 4000' high ridge immediately upslope.

Errand day in town.

I'm not sure of the market but I'd assume some of those may have some value?
You would be amazed old dimple whiskey bottles go for good money empty as do some other brands vintage shaped bottles of current brands also sell well I also have some old bottles but a Yugoslavian apricot brandy is favourite very sweet you only drink a little my aunt used to gift it to my dad and of course Yugoslavia is no more so unusual on that front I know there is red label black label and sone malts I let my son have one sone Christmas’s as I know we won’t drink it we have Hungarian wine 3-5year made from raisins very drinkable and a gross herbal German drink much prized by Hungarians but gross and I like
The interwebs make us a model railroad family.
plus it was stolen in Australia but post and travel but it’s got a place in uk markets may even have been stolen to order much of it was one offs and sone admire peoples work and others want it. Beyond reason
when I first put up my Dalek s I was pestered incessantly by someone who wanted to buy them he only finally dissapeared after 3D printers appeared he offered silly money too and I kept telling him go ebay these were sold I did not make them!

Dont know about your area, but they totally got our forcast wrong. We were supposed to get 1-3" overnight into this morning and just had just enough to wet the road and a few white patches on the ground,

Most has melted off since the temps are a couple degrees above freezing.
The last year hs g he ad us warned of floods several times heavy snow a couple of times severe winds hail storm keep being told a real cold front is coming
i have plants growing in the polytunnel I grow seeds early because if I lose them I grow correct time if I lose those I grow late
the media clickbait keeps saying snow snow in the uk but they are talking north Scotland clickbait
we have had a lot of rain we have had sone water logging other parts of the country have been hammered but I go with the expected weather until I see itherwuse

there again I do not live in tornado valley

Good Morning All. Cloudy, foggy and 54°. Mid to upper 60's for a few days with a 25% chance of rain this afternoon. Yesterday, it misted all day with a short thunderstorm around 8:30 last night. Didn't last long and left just 0.5" in the rain gauge. Just enough to make the ground wet until we get some wind Sunday.

A real busy trip to town yesterday starting with the weekly grocery trek that went OK. No noticeable increase in any costs, except gasoline all over the place is now $3.39/gal. I used my 70¢/gal fuel points, but some kind of pump malfunction actually gave me a 72¢/gal credit. I didn't complain. I made 5 more stops and was home in record time of 3 hours, which included a 30 minute trip each way! Along the way, I picked up the first months supply of liquid chlorine for the pool startup in a few weeks. At least that cost was still the same as last year, but from 2022 to 2023 it went up 33%. It's harder to find around May when the rest of the county is waking up to pool season. Wife did not go with me since March Madness basketball games were starting yesterday morning.

So, anyone keeping up with this solar eclipse next month? The path of totality is really close to me. My latitude and longitude will get 99.5%, 20 miles east will be total. All of the cities of Dallas and of Ft Worth will also be in totality. I believe that Troy in Ft Wayne and Tom in Cambria will also be in totality, or close to it. I noted last week that the Kroger store had a huge display of eclipse glasses for sale. I already have a couple of pairs.

Out in the train shed yesterday, I essentially finished up the storage shed.
View attachment 184669
View attachment 184670View attachment 184671
I will go back today and add a pair of gooseneck lamps over the doors and dull coat the metal roof. I'll weather the roof a bit as well, since no metal roofs look like that after a year in the elements. I'll look through the details collection to see if I have anything else to add.

Sherrel - I tend to like the house a couple of degrees warmer than Arlene I'm best with 72°-76°; she likes 70°. At least I don't have to wear a jacket!
David - Great news about Dawn.
Hughie - At least the dog got a shower.
Tom in MO - I just turn spell-check off. Thanks - NOT! I'll be humming that damn Roger Miller song all day now!:(
Patrick - At least you can see your feet!;) You're not that old. Always remember that we are all dying from the day we're born!

Boy, it sure has been hard keeping up with all of the new threads and posts lately. I have had to let some slide by. I might catch up a bit today since it's too wet to do anything constructive outside except for a walk.
Everybody have a fantastic Friday and have a wonderful weekend if I don't see you before then.
If I could figure out how to turn the (censored) thing off, trust me - I would. However, I have yet to find the "in's and out's" for navigating these Forums - pretty much touch 'n go, which is alright with me despite the occasional hemorrhoids.

"Trailer's for sale or rent
Rooms to let, 50 cents
No phone, no pool, no pets

I ain't got no cigarettes"

Enjoy!

Tom in Missouri

Another 47 degree start and hopefully a 73 high. Was 75 yesterday which is great.
I have actually felt very good most of this week after Monday; another round of Chemo will start on Tuesday - which will make me feel lousy again.

TomO - I have a love affair with ABBA! I was in Saudi Arabia when they were at their top and as such I did not pay much attention to them at that time. Fact is I did not even know who they were at the time. At the present I have a CD in my truck that I am trying to wear out ... I listen to it all the time. Kate and I went to the musical , Mama Mia, a couple years ago when it played locally. It was AWESOME!

Kate and I stopped by the MEX place, Guadalajara Mexican Grill for an early dinner Wednesday.
We had not been there in a couple years. She and I both agreed that it is the best around, and can't figure out why we have overlooked for a time. We shall correct that!

FLO - Please ask MEL for a garbage omelet with a plate of bacon on the side - a diet DP to drink PATU!
"eavesdropping" on your commentary to Tom O - I chime in with: ABBA - now there was an epoch time in pop-music culture. Either of those gals "cudda done it" for me - but alas, they didn't!

Thanx to you, I will pop in one of their live-performance DVD's and let my imagination re-energize!

If you change your mind (take a chance)
(Take a, take a chance-chance) I'm the first in line
Honey, I'm still free (take a chance)
Take a chance on me (take a, take a chance-chance)
If you need me (take a, take a chance-chance)
Let me know, gonna be around (take a chance)
If you've got no place to go, when you're feeling down (take a chance)
(Take a chance, take a, take a chance-chance)

Tom in Missouri

"eavesdropping" on your commentary to Tom O - I chime in with: ABBA - now there was an epoch time in pop-music culture. Either of those gals "cudda done it" for me - but alas, they didn't!

Thanx to you, I will pop in one of their live-performance DVD's and let my imagination re-energize!

If you change your mind (take a chance)
(Take a, take a chance-chance) I'm the first in line
Honey, I'm still free (take a chance)
Take a chance on me (take a, take a chance-chance)
If you need me (take a, take a chance-chance)
Let me know, gonna be around (take a chance)
If you've got no place to go, when you're feeling down (take a chance)

Tom in Missouri
I had just got the Roger Miller song out of my head, and you now have put Abba tunes in my head. :D

Off to YouTube to listen to Abba.

Winner takes it all is my favorite!

Back again after gorging on crumb-cake - yeah, a mugga Joe, black - thank you.

The bakery was out of their old fashioned German Crumb Cakes, however they convinced to try another - they call it a Ladue Crumb Cake - named (I think) after an "upscale" neighboring community. Anyway, I bought two (02); one for freezing.

Here is a shot of what it looks like - sprinkled with cinnamon and 5 different freshly ground nuts (Cashews, Filbert Hazelnut, Almonds, Pecans, Walnuts) with a tasty chewy filling made from almonds and pecans. All calories removed - of course!

DSC02174.JPG

Enjoy your day folks!

Tom in Missouri

Last edited:
I had just got the Roger Miller song out of my head, and you now have put Abba tunes in my head. :D

Off to YouTube to listen to Abba.

Winner takes it all is my favorite!
I don't wanna talk
About things we've gone through
Though it's hurting me, now it's history
I've played all my cards
And that's what you've done, too
Nothing more to say, no more ace to play

[Chorus 1]
The winner takes it all
The loser's standing small
Beside the victory
That's her destiny

Music definitely has an "addictive" aspect . . .

Enjoy!

Tom in Missouri

Last edited:
Good morning, all. Well, the sun came out this morning. We received another inch about 1:00 AM, giving us a total of about 6". The street has drained as well as the drainage ditch alongside the house. No rain forecasted till Monday.

I didn't get to the train room as hoped yesterday. Maybe today.

Roger Miller - How about, "My uncle used to love me she died"

A question, probably best answered by David or Jaz. I have heard the phase, "Bob's your uncle" That does it mean and how would it be used? It seems to me to be used in place of okay.

STAY SAFE
LATER

That is interesting how childhood experiences can be of such influence later on.

The B&O ran freights where I grew up on Staten Island, NYCity (class of 1938 - born, that is).

However, my absolute love affair with real trains was with the PRR and the GG1 locomotives. My father's ships (Merchant Marine) made Baltimore MD as homeport (most times) and we traveled by train from the closest station to Staten Island by train (either PRR or B&O), but the Pennsy "did it for me" and still does in my mind.

Still have vivid recollections of the vendors coming aboard at station stops with their trays of snacks & goodies walking the lengths of the heavyweight coaches. One of those guys gave me a Keystone engineer's cap that remained with me for years. Influenced? You betcha!

Gotta sign off - My Blues are well into the 1st period of their hockey game up in Ottawa - leading 1-zip.

Drinks on me!

Tom in Missouri
I thought you may find this interesting.

PENNSYLVANIA LIONCHIEF PLUS 2.0 GG1 #4935

1711124684867.png

Good morning All!!!
Was fun to see Bill came in after I was the last one out.
Flo, what's this new item on the board?
Cup of breakfast medley?
Large ceramic mug with fajita pepper mix, ground beef, scrambled eggs with a hearty broth.
Crushed red peppers, parmesan cheese, black pepper to taste.
Add two hashbrowns for a quarter.
Yes. Please let me have that. :)

Good morning, all. Well, the sun came out this morning. We received another inch about 1:00 AM, giving us a total of about 6". The street has drained as well as the drainage ditch alongside the house. No rain forecasted till Monday.

A question, probably best answered by David or Jaz. I have heard the phase, "Bob's your uncle" That does it mean and how would it be used? It seems to me to be used in place of okay.

STAY SAFE
LATER
Means Everything is all right.
Bob's your uncle is a phrase commonly used in the United Kingdom and Commonwealth countries that means "everything is all right".
It also means to get something done very easily.
The phrase is used to conclude a set of simple instructions or when a result is reached.
It is also used to describe a chain of events leading to a surprise where everything went as planned.
The phrase is believed to have originated from Arthur Balfour's unexpected promotion to Chief Secretary for Ireland by his uncle, Prime Minister Lord Salisbury, in 19004.

STAY SAFE
LATER
My uncle used to love but she died
A chicken ain't chicken 'til he's licken good and fried
Keep on the sunny side
My uncle used to love me but she died

Who'll bid me quarter, thirty cents for a ring of keys
Three sixty-five for a dollar bill of groceries
I'll have me a car of my own someday but 'til then I need a ride (thanks Steve)

My uncle used to love me but she died

Rip, Roger Miller - you were a one-of-a-kind who left one helluva mark.

With relatives in Canada (Nova Scotia) that phrase "and Bob's your uncle" is commonplace . . .for me, I take it as "There, you have it."

Tom in Missouri

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back