Running Bear's March 2024 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Beautiful looking bridge! They will look great on a layout.

Be sure to show us pictures when you receive them. Do they come fully assembled, or are they a kit? I'm not really familiar with O gauge items.
Hey Mike!

Bridges came 99% assembled - all I had to do was attach cross braces at either end . . .

Whilst I do not have my foto-display of "Tom's Lion's Den" completed, here are a couple (as in 2) shots of the bridges on the layout under construction:

DSC02059.jpgDSC02097.jpg

Cheers!

Tom in Missouri

Last edited:
we agreed cremated cheap box no expensive box for a couple of hours max and no all you can eat buffet for people who only turn out for what might be up for grabs I would miss him loads but can live quite happily with no company if I go first he is in deep do dah he hates being alone we agreed paying a prozzie will be cheaper than someone who marries him for a marriage settlement but he will need to do what’s best for him I suspect he will need someone to keep him company and teach him how to work the washing machine dishwasher cooker hob and how to weigh calories sniggers he can work the kettle and cook a steak not too hot and watching more than one dish but then I prefer cooking alone so that works for me lol when we argue I sulk no matter who is at fault and he always comes makes up as though nothing happened if people saw us shouting they would run for cover but we are all talk I mean shout and it clears the air so works for us every marriage is different
hell he can use my ashes on the railway for a coal slag laughs
hang on going to go tell him that it will make him laugh
laters…….
Ahoy Jaz avaliei,

Got a good laugh from your "flush twice" comment.

Your post reminded me of a couple (as in 2) burial at sea experiences which I intend to turn into future posts here at the Coffee Shop.

Cheers!

Tom in Missouri

Hey Mike!

Bridges came 99% assembled - all I had to do was attach cross braces at either end . . .

Whilst I do not have my foto-display of "Tom's Lion's Den" completed, here are a couple (as in 2) shots of the bridges on the layout under construction:

View attachment 184638View attachment 184637

Cheers!

Tom in Missouri
What are all the plaques on the wall?

I couldn't enlarge the photo enough to read any of them.

Afternoon All,

Started out the day with a walk at 55F. Currently 77F. Today was the first walk in 10 days and it felt good to stretch the legs. This morning MOH and I ran errands, and I picked up the Pennsy Interlocking tower kit from my buddy Greg. After getting home I did the first layer removal of the ground cover where the 2 new buildings will sit.

Thank you for the photo likes yesterday.

Tom in MO- It's all just the shenanigans that occur regularly with young males and alcohol in the military (or so I've heard:rolleyes:).

Jaz- Nice job on the graveyards.

Troy- The chili looks good.

TomO- At least the music is good.

Willie- Nice job on the build and garden.

David- I hope things went well with Dawn today.

I hope everyone has a good night.

What are all the plaques on the wall?

I couldn't enlarge the photo enough to read any of them.
Mike,

Those foto-plaques represent train trips taken from about 1990 to 2021 - many with my late-wife in Canada and the U.S.; many others solo - most on long distance runs (overnight in bedrooms). I regard all of those foto-plaques as personal and most probably never will be put into the Ether for full-viewing.

Each plaque has an inscription-plate describing the occasion along with lapel pins affixed depicting the railroad and/or state/country. Just something I like to do . . . or did.

Once dismantling my former Can-Am Trainroom and selling off my collections, the wall "adornments:" remained in place.

I would dearly love to sell or donate my twelve (12) lucite HO display cases - but shipping charges would gag a healthy maggot.

As for the other "stuff" on the walls (heralds, etc.) my Executor can handle disposition of those.

Regards,

Tom in Missouri

Last edited:
Afternoon All,

Started out the day with a walk at 55F. Currently 77F. Today was the first walk in 10 days and it felt good to stretch the legs. This morning MOH and I ran errands, and I picked up the Pennsy Interlocking tower kit from my buddy Greg. After getting home I did the first layer removal of the ground cover where the 2 new buildings will sit.

Thank you for the photo likes yesterday.

Tom in MO- It's all just the shenanigans that occur regularly with young males and alcohol in the military (or so I've heard:rolleyes:).

Jaz- Nice job on the graveyards.

Troy- The chili looks good.

TomO- At least the music is good.

Willie- Nice job on the build and garden.

David- I hope things went well with Dawn today.

I hope everyone has a good night.
Yeah, it is amazing how those "distortions of truth" somehow attain credibility (ie: drunken sailors, etc.)

Splice the Mainbrace, sez moi!

Tom in Missouri

G'day gents and Ladies (of course!),

Mugga Joe with a splash of JD (black label) if you please (I am living on the wild-side today!).

Back again, but this time with something a bit different in that I had planned on creating a separate thread for my Tom's Lion's Den submissions - but given the interest in "all things" around here, figured a "preview" is in order.

These are the Lionel LionChief sets that have found a home on my under-construction layout; add-on cars for each set have been purchased (or on backorder) along with a separate (more powerful) transformer for track power.

Cheers!

Tom in Missouri

P.S. Does anyone else absolutely detest the "spell check" feature that changes words without "warning"? I do! But, thank the good Lawd there is an Edit feature.

DSC01780.jpgDSC01821.jpgDSC01888.jpg

Last edited:
Glenfiddich, Singleton, Oban. Nope. Not been spelling them wrong. 😁
If it is not a single malt it does not count. That said I can’t drink whiskey took a bottle to a party where everyone else turned up with wine cheap wine so I sat and drank most of it then threw up on a hot radiator can’t drink the stuff since reminds me of Parmesan cheese and my stomach goes into free fall shudders can drink brandy though decent brandy in a glass cheap brandy in a coffee

Just passed 4.5 inches on my rain gauge, 5" in the wife's plastic gauge. Still raining.
Modeling the B&M brings to mind a few great memories.

I lived in New England for eight (08) years during my 32-year military career (Connecticut for 3 - and - Massachusetts for 5); stationed in Groton, CT and Boston, MA. Anyway . . .

I had a long consist of HO ABA F units (B&M Minute Man heraldry) along with six (06) heavyweights; all done by Bev-Bel in Athearn "blue boxes."

B&M (RDCs with B&M heralds - Herbert Matter designed - whisked me to 'n from my home just north of Boston - only about an 8-mile run, but it was a treat; the station was an easy walk from my home.

I have traveled by Amtrak thru the Berkshires (old B&A route) to/from Albany, NY and absolutely was mesmerized with the fall splendor.

New England history would be totally incomplete without more than honorable mention of the B&M and all affiliate roads.

Just my 2-cents.

Tom in Missouri

Morning folks

It was still nice out at 3:00 am when I took the canine stroll, a dusting of new snow at 6:30 am and a couple more inches now with the temperature continuing to drop. Currently 27F.

In my younger days, I consumed way more than my portion of beer and no small amount of whiskey-whatever way you spell it. I rarely partake in a beer these days and the whiskey consumption is nil. There are quit a few unopened 50 year old bottles of 25 year single malts residing in the liquor cabinet. I still enjoy a glass of red wire with dinner, cabernet, merlot, or zin but that's the extent of it.
Too true carbs are not good we have a well packed cabinet though shame some of the pa Linka can knock you off your feet smells fruit hits your stomach with a sledgehammer worse than strong vodka I always liked the sugary one sighs just recently opened a clementine brandy smells Devine darling better than cointreau

Attachments

• 2011-12-10 005 (1920x1285).jpeg
    2011-12-10 005 (1920x1285).jpeg
    685.5 KB · Views: 16
Too true carbs are not good we have a well packed cabinet though shame some of the pa Linka can knock you off your feet smells fruit hits your stomach with a sledgehammer worse than strong vodka I always liked the sugary one sighs just recently opened a clementine brandy smells Devine darling better than cointreau
If I drank distilled spirits, I'd be at your place for any holiday.

If it is not a single malt it does not count. That said I can’t drink whiskey took a bottle to a party where everyone else turned up with wine cheap wine so I sat and drank most of it then threw up on a hot radiator can’t drink the stuff since reminds me of Parmesan cheese and my stomach goes into free fall shudders can drink brandy though decent brandy in a glass cheap brandy in a coffee

I like a decent bottle of Scotch, but I do like Jameson's and Bushmills Irish whiskies. (Sounds like we drink a bottle or two a night) 🤣🤣

My favourite drink though is Pusser's Rum. I bought a bottle of Pusser's 151 in Gibraltar. £17.30. We had it in the cabinet for nearly 8 months taking a little now and again. Anyway just before my birthday, Dawn wanted to try it. Off course she did not drink it alone. She loved it. Looking to replace it here in the U.K. £59.99. A lovely birthday present. (Still untouched I add.)

Well, that wasn't how I wanted to spend my afternoon.

Was in my upstairs bathroom, on the loo, doing what one does on the loo.

Heard a pop! (it wasn't me, I was mostly done with .... um... yeah) And the lights went out.

Our condo was built in the mid 1970s and has these stupid light boxes built to enclose 4 ft x 2 strip florescent light fixtures. This was the last one with a real florescent, but I'd converted the bulbs to LED a couple of years ago.

Finished up in the dim light of what was coming through the open door. No problems, but then I smelled the magic smoke.

Yep... blew the ballast

Headed to Menards and picked up their cheapest LED 4 ft wrap around ceiling mount. It's going into the same old light box, it doesn't have to be pretty.

Oh, yeah... their wonderful means of running wires...

ballast.jpg

I was able to put a couple of 2x4in spacers to either end, screwed into the ceiling joist (that runs length wise in the box, not front to back). That gave me enough room to add a metal junction box between the light and the ceiling. Yay! protecting the wires since the new fixture isn't designed to be safe for wire connection inside of it.

I didn't expect a poop to turn into two hours of work.

some of the pa Linka can knock you off your feet smells fruit hits your stomach with a sledgehammer worse than strong vodka

Pálinka

It can range from 37.5% to 86% alcohol (75-172 proof) The high proof versions can certainly knock you off your feet!

Palinka is something I know a little bit about having learned about it from my Hungarian wife and her parents. The soil in my wife's hometown of Kecskemet, Hungary is perfect for growing apricots, and they are used to make "Kecskeméti Barack Pálinka" considered by many as the finest in the world.

I'm told many farmers in the Great Hungarian Plain start thier day with shot of strong Palinka before breakfast.

My in-laws liked a shot of Palinka before having a delicious meal or to celebrate any occasion.

Palinka is a unique drink and something special to sample if you have the chance.

Palinka has Geographical Protection (a product with protected designation of origin or PDO) and has been officially registered in the European Union since 2004. "Kecskeméti Barack Pálinka" is a local variation and my favorite! Palinka has several local variations made from various kinds of fruits. Apricots, Cherries, Plums, Apples, Pears, and Pomace. These local variations are protected as separate geographical indications and have their own detailed regulations

My wife contributed to this post. I also used Wikipedia for clarification of the facts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back