Running Bear's March 2023 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning from the last day in the desert. We leave for the islands this afternoon. At dinner last night the brother asked if Terry and my sister would be ready to leave today instead of Sunday. Heck, they didn’t want to stop in the desert in the 1st place. With just carry on bags none of us have issues getting packed to go. As Willie said, the meds might take the longest. He was bored, misses his g/f who stayed in Hawaii and says he is able to trade credits to fly us over early.

Terry had some conversations yesterday with the “new” to us CPA firm for our business taxes. They asked if “we” wanted an extension and she said we have had 1 since 1990 so if possible, no. They said they don’t see an issue. That made her happy. What made her unhappy is the old owner of the firm she fired this week called her, begging for the business back. This just after she had one of the the conversations with the new firm. She explained what happened and he was under the impression that Terry was being unreasonable. That ticked her off, as he has known her since the 1980’s and has she ever been unreasonable. Anyway, his pay back is contingent on how many customers stay on with the firm. She asked if he knew the new firm she is working with, he said no why? There are at least 3 partners and many staff from the old firm who started this one. He was unaware…

The son in law texted. They have at least 8” of the white stuff but still coming down till about noon. Wanted to know how many neighbor driveways I do. Normally mine and 1 other but sometimes 3. But 7-8 sidewalks, he said he will take the blower on the tractor and knows which houses I do. Told him though one of the other neighbors might have done the sidewalks.

Smudge617, Chris. I tried Chrome and Firefox browsers last night on the Enginehouse Services website. The missing search box when I use Safari showed up making finding things a lot easier. I then deleted both after placing an order to have it sent to the islands for free. Made sure the order did show up on Safari before I deleted the other 2 browsers. I am not a fan of Google and try to avoid their products. I will add back Firefox whenever I search Enginehouse. Thanks for the info.

Enjoy the day
Glad it worked for you, a lot of people don't like Google for various reasons, I've been using it for close to 20 yrs now, never had a problem with it yet. You could download Google, and keep Safari as your default browser might save you a bit of time next time you need it, you can also set the permissions on Google so it doesn't track or report your browsing history.

Taking our first day off since I don't remember when and it feels good!

The heat just came on and that reminds me. I did not say anything about my furnace problem. It turned out to be an easy fix. The code indicated "low flame". Luckily, an inch worth of emery cloth solved the problem.

I can't remember who suggested I polish the flame sensor. You were spot on thank you! Who needs to read diagnostic codes, I have you all.

Glad it worked for you, a lot of people don't like Google for various reasons, I've been using it for close to 20 yrs now, never had a problem with it yet. You could download Google, and keep Safari as your default browser might save you a bit of time next time you need it, you can also set the permissions on Google so it doesn't track or report your browsing history.

I use the Brave browser when I need some sort of "Chrome" compatible browser. Brave uses the Chromium engine base system but doesn't tie into Google, but instead focuses on privacy. But since it is based on the same basic browser engine it does most websites that work best in Chrome correctly. This is all on a computer. Brave also exists on iPad/iPhone but uses the same webkit engine as Safari (but so does Chrome) based on Apple security policy for 3rd party browsers.

I too use Safari for most things.

I started with internet Explorer and now I use Edge.

For a search engine I use Bing.

I also have a Microsoft Office subscription.

My Microsoft Rewards cover my grandson's Xbox Game Pass Ultimate subscription.

Ever since I was a member of the Microsoft Builder Program, I have been loyal to Microsoft.

If I need it or want it and Microsoft makes it that is the brand I will buy.

Downloading and then using it took maybe 15 seconds from the time I found it.

Alexa and other things Google are gone from the houses. FireFox worked just as well and I used that for maybe 10 years with no issues. But I am ok with Safari. My search engine is Duck Duck Go

Good afternoon. Getting caught up. A few days away sure can put you behind. Bills are all paid, groceries are bought and put away, the last load of laundry is in the dryer.
Since I sold my old place, the nice 4 burner gas grill is in my sons' storage unit so I finally broke down and managed to find a nice small smoker/grill. MADE IN THE USA.
thumbnail_20230308_135632.jpgthumbnail_20230308_150112.jpgthumbnail_20230308_150043.jpg

I like the ash drawer in the last photo. Some charcoal grills can be a pain when it comes to trying to empty the ash. Putting it together was a pain in the butt. The directions were more of a suggestion but with the help of a neighbor, we got it done. For just me it is more than adequate and is still large enough to have a couple of guests over for dinner. Was going to try it out tonight but being that it is snowing, I'll pass.

Going to go back and try to catch up with previous postings.

To the archives.

20181111_162643.jpg
20181121_075507.jpg
20181111_163019.jpg
20181113_080835.jpg
20181111_162132.jpg

Later

Afternoon All,

Started out today with a walk at 62F and currently 83F. The weather guessers are saying 2 days of lows in the 40's next week, but I'll believe it when I see it. After breakfast and sundry things, I worked on inside chores for around 3 hours. After lunch I decided to take it easy and watch the last of the Murdoch Mysteries. Tomorrow I probably have several hours of pool projects.

Troy- Nice job on the knights.

Bigfoot- Nice little scratch build.

Willie- Safe travels.

TomO- Safe travels also.

Jim- Neat photo.

Sherrel- That's what you get for being proactive! :D

Chet- The grill in the house gave me a flashback on an EMS call years ago. It was in a decrepit dirty trailer that had a curtain for the front door and a grill inside for cooking. Great scenes from the LVRR.

I hope everyone has a good night.

How to waste a rainy Friday morning-
Last week I rode my Honda VTX1800 motorcycle to pick up an item about 40 miles from home. About 35 miles out, I realized my clutch was slipping when I changed gears thru a semi-rural area. I nursed it along, picked up my item and returned home by interstate for fewer gear changes.
Today, my son in law was off and brought his trailer to take the bike to the repair shop. Light rain made a stop for coffee mandatory for a casual 10 mile trip. I got the 850 pound bike off the trailer, without killing myself on the wet trailer, with the help of a couple of guys.
It took a few minutes to do the paperwork , and after oogling several new motorcycles, we started home.
My SIL began describing the problems my youngest grandson's Yamaha VStar gas leak. We called the grandson and decided to take his bike into the shop to work on both carbs. The bike was easily loaded from his basement and strapped down in a light shower. The rain stopped just as we started unloading the bike and did more paperwork. I made it home just before noon.
Here is a pic of both bikes waiting patiently for the mechanics attention. The big fat blue bike is similar to its rider and the handsome burgundy Yamaha is like the grandson.

Attachments

• motors.jpg
    motors.jpg
    428 KB · Views: 46
Good evening. 42° with light rain. "Gale" warnings up along the coast, coastal flood warnings up for the whole county...Which makes no sense, as coastal flooding is related to the "Gale Force winds" along the coast. Wonder why they do that?

Heavy artillery practice at Ft. Dix this weekend...not only can we hear them, buy we can feel them, some 35 miles away...The clouds embellish the sound. When the weather is clear, we really don't notice the sound or feel the impacts....

Went for our morning walk at the Reservoir, walked 1.2 miles, then went to ShopRite for the weeks groceries, walked another ¾ mile between the parking lot and store. When we got home, and put everything away, ate lunch, and it was nap time. After the nap, I arranged for Cardiac Rehab, beginning week after next, and opened a money market account at the Credit Union. Busy day, no wonder I'm tired. :rolleyes:;)

SA-31 woth 15 Emptys off Siding @ Red Bank 10-27-2022.jpg

SA-31 on train for Browns off C&D at Red Bank. Meanwhile, work on reopening the portion of the Freehold Branch, between Halls Mill and Farmingdale, a distance of 10 miles continues...they hope to have the railroad open by the end of summer. That will end SA-31's involvement on the Coast Line. Makes one wonder, if Conrail will shortline the remaining branches West of Browns Yard.
JR-05 @ Port Reading - 07_19_2022 - Michael Guida Photo.jpg

OakIsland crew JR-5 at Port Reading , Michael Guida photo.

Copied from Railfan & Railroad Magazine.

UPDATE: STB Approves MRL Deal, BNSF to Takeover by Year’s End​

Updated: March 8, 11:00 a.m. MST

By Justin Franz

Railfans interested in seeing Montana Rail Link before it is taken over by BNSF Railway will likely have one more summer to capture the regional road’s iconic blue, black and white locomotives.

On Tuesday, the U.S. Surface Transportation Board announced it would approve Montana Rail Link’s request for an exemption from the normal discontinuance of service review, thus authorizing BNSF Railway’s expedited takeover of the regional railroad.

Because MRL operates on trackage that it leases from BNSF, the regional railroad argued that a detailed review of the transaction was unnecessary and that neither customers nor employees would be negatively impacted. The STB agreed and said its exemption decision was effective April 7, meaning the takeover could occur anytime after that.

A few hours later, BNSF and MRL officials said the process of bringing the regional road’s tracks back into the Class I system would begin soon and that an official takeover would likely happen before the end of the year.

“Our team is eager and ready for the next chapter in MRL’s history. We have created a strong culture at MRL and BNSF shares our values, “said Joe Racicot, president of MRL. “Our shared commitment to safety and customer service are bedrock values within both companies that will never change.”

BNSF officials have said MRL will be known as the “MRL Subdivision” within the Montana Division, “in recognition of the shared heritage of BNSF and MRL,” said BNSF CEO Katie Farmer. What exactly that will look like in operational practice is unknown. MRL is currently made up of five main line subdivisions stretching across all of southern Montana.

In January 2022, MRL announced that it was terminating the long-term lease of its main line across Montana and Idaho and that BNSF would soon resume operations. MRL’s parent company, Washington Corp., leased the former Northern Pacific from Huntley, Mont., to Sandpoint, Idaho, in 1987 for 60 years. But MRL and BNSF mutually decided to end that agreement after just 35 years. Since the announcement, MRL and BNSF have been working with labor leaders to forge implementation agreements with the regional road’s union employees. BNSF has vowed to hire all MRL employees.

In its decision on Tuesday, the STB signaled that it had agreed with MRL and BNSF that rail service through southern Montana would not be negatively impacted by the takeover. It also noted that none of MRL’s approximately 125 customers filed an objection to the plan. The only entities that did were a private individual and a private rail operator, who worried that their rail cars would no longer be able to operate on MRL (In years past, MRL hosted a handful of private cars during the summer, although it has been a number of years since that happened).

Farmer said she was excited about the future of MRL under the BNSF banner.

“We are excited to welcome the MRL team,” she said. “They know this railroad better than anyone and we’re proud to have them join BNSF… Joining these two great railroads — both with strong ties and rich traditions — opens new opportunities and broader horizons for our collective teams, our families and the customers and communities we’ve worked together to serve for many years.”

This story will be updated.

This article was posted on: March 8, 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back