Running Bear's March 2023 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi gang, the dutch girl is back. Sorry, I missed the entire February part of the forum and most of the first month of this year.
Hope all of you are fine. USA trains are not...what about NS? Was on our news and not looking good. What the h... happened. When you run a train with a load like that (first incident) you better be sure the track is in good condition. Has that train hit something?
See you guys, missed you.
The rail car that had the overheated bearing/wheel failure which derailed, wasn't even one containing the hazardous chemicals. What I believe was a misguided decision to release the chemicals into the atmosphere should never have happened. I also question the crew's judgement even though they were following Norfolk Southern's guidelines. With such a dramatic rise in the wheel bearing temperature between the first and second sensor, why did they wait until the third sensor showed it to be way above the threshold. Although they probably would have faced a suspension for slowing/stopping the train.
There's still a lot of misinformation out there, but we'll not have it sorted out for at least another year.
Here's an English language Wikipedia article that seems mostly factual. I see that it can be translated into several EU languages if that helps.

TRAIN DERAILMENT IN OHIO 2023.

I ditched ink jet a decade or more ago for all. Been using laser for B&W since the 90s. I still use my late 90s HP 2100tn for B&W. It jams a bit more often now (not that often and mostly when the last 20-30 pieces of paper are in the tray) but the cartridges are dirt cheap and high capacity. It works for me.

Bought a color (Konica Minolta) laser like 12 years ago. It fell off a table and cracked and so I bought another. I don't print color that often but it is really nice when I need to. It also gets used for B&W some of the time -- usually by accident (choosing the wrong printer). It is also quite cheap to run.
Chadbag: Ya, had a Minolta color; don't remember the model number. Was a real boat anchor in size. Thing worked okiedokie though. Don't remember what happened to that one.

Your 2100tn probably needs 'paper rollers and extract cork/rubber'. Pretty cheap on EvilBay. Just did my 2430ln as it to was forgetting to grab a page and if it did manage to get the paper it would sometimes jam. Of course, registration went out the window: I print 1/2 sheet sticky shipping labels - print one, turn it around put back in and print another. This printer now is on a 2nd fuser and the 3rd roller/extract thingies. FYI in case you don't know ... if the rollers are not picking paper correct. They shrink just enough to where they don't contact the paper good enough. Easy ( temporary ) fix. Steal some of your wife's hand cream; find the one that has the most lanolin content and spread it with fingers on the roller and cork/rubber; wipe of excess and either print a couple blank pages, or let it soak in. It will expand them and you can pick paper again for awhile. Anyway, got the 2430ln used in 2000 something. Work horse.

Later

Chadbag: Ya, had a Minolta color; don't remember the model number. Was a real boat anchor in size. Thing worked okiedokie though. Don't remember what happened to that one.

Your 2100tn probably needs 'paper rollers and extract cork/rubber'. Pretty cheap on EvilBay. Just did my 2430ln as it to was forgetting to grab a page and if it did manage to get the paper it would sometimes jam. Of course, registration went out the window: I print 1/2 sheet sticky shipping labels - print one, turn it around put back in and print another. This printer now is on a 2nd fuser and the 3rd roller/extract thingies. FYI in case you don't know ... if the rollers are not picking paper correct. They shrink just enough to where they don't contact the paper good enough. Easy ( temporary ) fix. Steal some of your wife's hand cream; find the one that has the most lanolin content and spread it with fingers on the roller and cork/rubber; wipe of excess and either print a couple blank pages, or let it soak in. It will expand them and you can pick paper again for awhile. Anyway, got the 2430ln used in 2000 something. Work horse.

Later

Yeah I know there are parts to refurb the roller / pickups. My dad had a HP 2200 of some variant and had to fix that. I use a lanolin based case lube for reloading so have the pure lanolin in a bottle (I make my own lube). Should be easy enough when I get annoyed at it enough to do something. (Meaning both parts and the lanolin trick)

One problem I've had with all my printers is that recently Costco switched their normal paper cases to some sort of eco paper, which doesn't run through the printer as reliably. Any of my printers. Pisses me off. I just want the normal 20# whatever-the-standard-shininess is paper. Not eco. not anything but bog standard.

Although they probably would have faced a suspension for slowing/stopping the train.
Back when I worked for the Penn Central if you were late, you would receive a message to call the train despatcher's office and explain why?
You don't want to be calling that office to many times. I recall hearing one of my fellow engineers on the phone calling. He said, I'm late because.
you have 40 mph track, 50 mph engines, and a 60 mph schedule.
Swal

Hi all. How's everyone's day going? I came on here to ask about Ho scale narrow gauge. I understand there are many scales of narrow gauge. NN3, HoN3, ON3. I'm guessing that HoN3 is Ho scale narrow gauge? I have a plan to make a Narrow Gauge diorama and I want to make sure my scale is right 😅.

Good evening. It's partly cloudy and 80.
Several years ago, I got a new Dell XPS 13 laptop. I've noticed needing to charge it more frequently over the last year, but events have worked against doing anything about it. The tipping point came last night, when I tried watching a movie that was 80 minutes long, and the battery died before the movie was over.
I ran a battery check, and sure enough, it is less than a third of original capacity. I ordered a replacement, and it should be here this weekend.
On most laptops, changing a battery is pretty straightforward. If anybody here has a laptop with a short-life battery, I can take some pics and document them here. I'm sure there are lots of Youtube videos, so I'll leave it up to y'all if you want to follow along.

Good evening gang!

Thanks to everyone that commented on my spline subroadbed. Eventually It will be covered by 1/2 inch homasote then cork roadbed. Since most of the layout will be open to the bottom, no foam. Just hard shell scenery with plywood foundations for some structures or downtown blocks. I find foam to be too fragile at times, too flexible and frankly too damn expensive. Don't worry, more pics to come as it slowly progresses.

Tonight, I'm relaxing. Mondays are always tough on this kid.

Willie, I have an idea for your layout. You need a van driving around with a figure leering out of the drives seat at all the pretty ladies on the layout. You can call him Sherril. Maybe have a free candy sign on the side?

TTYL

Well, howdy there internet peeps, and those who took 4 hour naps today (raises own hand).

Seems I got up at 2:30a wide awake after trying to sleep immobile on my belly for back reasons.

Tried the recliner, hoping I could go back to sleep. But the La-z-boy bothered the disk. It just sits wrong for right now. After my shower at 6:30, I knew I was up for the day. Did my full set of stretches, paying attention to what the back was telling me with each stretch. It's not acting like a muscle issue. So my guess is I'm dealing with old disks.

So I put the big pillow in the desk chair for lumbar support.
lumbar.jpg

Added the IR heating pad, and a bungie. Got a real lumbar support cushion arriving from Amazon tomorrow.

Managed to get two walks in today. Those really helped. But came back from the second one, and the firm futon (a flip back couch without arms) called to me. So I piled my pillows, lay on my belly, and drifted off about 2p. Woke up at 6. Wife already had her supper going. I fired up the gas grill and ate my second burger of the day.

Need to word some more words tonight. Didn't get enough of them done earlier.

Well, howdy there internet peeps, and those who took 4 hour naps today (raises own hand).

Seems I got up at 2:30a wide awake after trying to sleep immobile on my belly for back reasons.

Tried the recliner, hoping I could go back to sleep. But the La-z-boy bothered the disk. It just sits wrong for right now. After my shower at 6:30, I knew I was up for the day. Did my full set of stretches, paying attention to what the back was telling me with each stretch. It's not acting like a muscle issue. So my guess is I'm dealing with old disks.

View attachment 163624

Added the IR heating pad, and a bungie. Got a real lumbar support cushion arriving from Amazon tomorrow.

Managed to get two walks in today. Those really helped. But came back from the second one, and the firm futon (a flip back couch without arms) called to me. So I piled my pillows, lay on my belly, and drifted off about 2p. Woke up at 6. Wife already had her supper going. I fired up the gas grill and ate my second burger of the day.

Sorry to hear about your back. Hope it gets better soon. I know if I sleep wrong my back feels terrible. I'm sure your issues are worse than sleeping wrong from what you had said in your post and I hope you get better soon!

View attachment 163624

Need the Dr. to prescribe you some good muscle relaxers. Would help you get more comfortable, and let you rest better.

Back when I worked for the Penn Central if you were late, you would receive a message to call the train despatcher's office and explain why?
You don't want to be calling that office to many times. I recall hearing one of my fellow engineers on the phone calling. He said, I'm late because.
you have 40 mph track, 50 mph engines, and a 60 mph schedule.
Swal
On the Harrisburg line, Thorn or Paoli would call, asking why we "lost" time between "Parkesburg" and "Exton"...my Conductor would answer that he didn't know, but if he found the "lost" time, he would let them know...BTW wewere on time out of Harrisburg and on time into Philadelphia, but never did find the lost time...

Good evening. 45°, cloudy with radar showing Rain / Snow above us...Eye test says no precipitation, yet, regardless of what radar says.
1" to 3" of snow is predicted overnight, assuming the temperature drops sufficiently. It's over by 0500, with morning clearing.

Unfortunately, the ground will be too wet at the reservoir tomorrow, so if we walk, it will be the Boardwalk at Belmar. Today, we walked 1.4 miles plus trekking through Hobby Lobby and ShopRite after the walk.

Troy: I'm quite sympathetic as I know the pain. Keep doing the exercises and walking, it will lessen the pain.

RDG_C424_5201_CumberlandMd_1964_RodPeterson_o.jpg

Cumberland, MD 1964 - Rod Peterson photo - RDG C-424 leads C&Oand B&O Fs on WB Hopper Train.

Caps playing in LA tonight. 13:22 into 1st - no score.

The rail car that had the overheated bearing/wheel failure which derailed, wasn't even one containing the hazardous chemicals. What I believe was a misguided decision to release the chemicals into the atmosphere should never have happened. I also question the crew's judgement even though they were following Norfolk Southern's guidelines. With such a dramatic rise in the wheel bearing temperature between the first and second sensor, why did they wait until the third sensor showed it to be way above the threshold. Although they probably would have faced a suspension for slowing/stopping the train.
There's still a lot of misinformation out there, but we'll not have it sorted out for at least another year.
Here's an English language Wikipedia article that seems mostly factual. I see that it can be translated into several EU languages if that helps.

TRAIN DERAILMENT IN OHIO 2023.
Thanks a lot SantafeW. I think my english is not too good, but train-language and some chemistry I do understand. And above all I do know you don't want any Benzene anywhere, specially where people live. All the fish dead you know this can't be a healthy situation. With all the different chemicals reacting possible with each other (like the expert stated) it is even more dangerous.
On the other hand rail traffic CAN be very safe. Tank cars are build to last and tested that way. The same applies to road traffic. There is a risk, but everybody want the products made from all those chemicals transported all day. The best we (the world) can do is minimalize the risks.
So checking the wheels, trucks and specially the rails on a regular base is #1 priority.
We have a white mark on every wheel to check the place of the "tire" that is shrunken to the wheel. In America (USA and Canada) I know when a freight train is passed by another train waiting in the hole, the conductor has to check the freight cars for any fail, and report. I had a cab ride ones on a VIA train, this was done very seriously. New tech can detect hot spots (possible brakes that are not properly loose, don't know the right word) but the human eye is an important tool still.
We have a huge network. On every end of the line, before the return trip the train is (was?) manually checked and given ok before the actual trip. Been a rail fan but not so much fanatic anymore, so really don't know how this is done at the moment. I still hear the hamer on the wheels...those where the true skills men, they heard the differences and reported the bad tires.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back