Running Bear's March 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
What I don't understand about the whole pricing thing
What I don't understand is if a corner store buys 1,000 gallons today for a certain price, he sets his pump price accordingly. Say 3.00 a gallon. Now the price of oil goes up, he changes the price at the pump up 3.10. It's the same gas from yesterday's deliver.

Did a little work on AC Brown kit. Mostly roof details.
1646346786379.jpeg

STAY SAFE
LATER

What I don't understand is if a corner store buys 1,000 gallons today for a certain price, he sets his pump price accordingly. Say 3.00 a gallon. Now the price of oil goes up, he changes the price at the pump up 3.10. It's the same gas from yesterday's deliver.

Because he has to replace it at the higher price, and if oil goes down and all his competitors lower their price, he will too even though he is selling from the more expensive delivery still... It is akin to dollar cost averaging.

The construction company I work for just built a new Amazon facility in our area. They put in, if I'm not mistaken, 900 charging stations. Our local utility laughed at them, and wants to know where they think they're going to get the power from.

I'm all about saving the planet,,,,,,, but lets let the technology get to that point first.

I hope you do get it. That is over 2+ years from now and Tesla is not exactly known for shipping on time. Cyber Truck is not shipping now or even any time soon and is therefore a poster boy for the definition of vapor ware. Vapor ware doesn't mean it will never ship. It just means it doesn't exist now (and it is not like there are firm plans to release it on April 1 or something) and so comparing it or using its specs to compare to real shipping products is useless. Since it doesn't exist.
Speaking about Tesla's pickup truck, I think they look super cool. Not sure if I can get used to that computer screen in there. Or any vehicle, for that matter.

The construction company I work for just built a new Amazon facility in our area. They put in, if I'm not mistaken, 900 charging stations. Our local utility laughed at them, and wants to know where they think they're going to get the power from.

I'm all about saving the planet,,,,,,, but lets let the technology get to that point first.
That is a significant investment on Amazon's part!

The power guy may not know where the power is coming from, but I'd bet Amazon does.

I hope you do get it. That is over 2+ years from now and Tesla is not exactly known for shipping on time. Cyber Truck is not shipping now or even any time soon and is therefore a poster boy for the definition of vapor ware. Vapor ware doesn't mean it will never ship. It just means it doesn't exist now (and it is not like there are firm plans to release it on April 1 or something) and so comparing it or using its specs to compare to real shipping products is useless. Since it doesn't exist.
When someone goes to the Tesla lot in 2025 to by a Cyber truck, they will be paying the 2025 price. When I get my truck delivered, I'll be paying the price Tesla guaranteed me almost two years ago. My down payment was $100.

Some info on charging:

There are multiple fast charger standards

Tesla has their SuperCharger network for Teslas.

Electrify America has their network which is open to anyone. https://www.electrifyamerica.com/locate-charger/ They support both L2 and fast charging.

There are also other networks, most of which I've seen only support L2.

EVs are still bleeding edge in terms of who should adopt them as a main vehicle.
I don’t have the urge to rush out & buy an EV, when there’s not a fast charger within 100 miles of home.

I bought a Tesla level 2 wall charger. I've called over a dozen electrians to get a bid on installing it in my garage.
The wall charger will be mounted about 5 cable feet from the breaker panel. All they would really have to do is provide a 60 amp breaker, about $50 tops, and install it. Attach a 5' long #4 AWG copper cable to it and feed it to the charger. No drywall work to do. Make the connection with the wall charger and that's it. Might take someone 10 minutes to do this. Pretty simple. I've got bids from $1300 to $3600.
I think I'll do it myself.

I bought a Tesla level 2 wall charger. I've called over a dozen electrians to get a bid on installing it in my garage.
The wall charger will be mounted about 5 cable feet from the breaker panel. All they would really have to do is provide a 60 amp breaker, about $50 tops, and install it. Attach a 5' long #4 AWG copper cable to it and feed it to the charger. No drywall work to do. Make the connection with the wall charger and that's it. Might take someone 10 minutes to do this. Pretty simple. I've got bids from $1300 to $3600.
I think I'll do it myself.

Ask them to itemize the bid...

Oh at least double the price, probably more like 3 times. Last year I got the Ford F150 Hybrid with promise of 24 mpg, with power boost for pulling the trailer. It doesn't get nearly that good mileage, and it can't run more than 5-6 miles on electric. It can certainly zoom (my wife raced a corvette the other day and won - her story), and it can certainly pull the trailer (about 5 tons) effortlessly but it sucks so much fuel doing it. I've gone back to the old V8 F150 and V8 Suburban for pulling. Much more economical.
I don't doubt your wife. A vehicles performance is only as good as its driver.
The corvette driver may have not known that there is no power curve with electric vehicles. I bet he/she does now!

On the same note, what happens when you run out of "gas" with your electric car?

No walking to the gas station, sounds like you will be paying for a tow truck.

Seriously, I have read this is not the time to buy an all electric. I think the hybrids are as smart as you can be right now. The real experts advise to wait it out a few years so more of the bugs can be worked out. Also, what about when the batteries ware out? One Tesla owner said it would cost him $26,000 for a new one. I think they last 5 or 6 years.

Not like my 1988 Chevy Suburban, which runs like a lynx. I drive it to work (126 mile round trip) a couple times a week just to keep it in shape. Average summer mileage is 16 MPG, down to 15 in the winter. Not all that much different from the new trucks, and it looks cool with a Reagan bumper sticker on the back. A real one that somehow survived all these years.

Dave LASM
1988 Suburban, you sir are an excellent driver! Not only to get 16MPG, but to have a 1988 Suburban that runs great.
The driver is the most important factor in the overall cost per mile of any vehicle.
If we had more drivers like you we would eliminate a lot of waste/pollution.

2020.2.12-Flooded-bays-2-C.jpg

And you thought smoking at a gas station was dangerous!
But seriously, I'm surprised nobody has brought up the environmental disaster that the mining for the lithium for the batteries is causing.

Also, working at a GM dealership, the EVs so far have been a bust. As good as the Volt was at giving people a taste of an electric/gas hybrid, the Bolt that came after is/was a disaster. The cars have caught fire so much they have been recalled to have the batteries replaced, prompting the dealerships servicing them to have to purchase forklift capable of carrying 3,000 pounds to service these small cars. Eventually with the electric Silverado, a bigger forklift will be needed, a 10,000 pound capacity unit. Of course, the dealership will have to pay for it, so get ready for a labor rate increase! With all the additional handling and storage and disposal of the batteries, plus the additional tech training so that the tech doesn't electrocute himself, all I can say is good luck finding someone to work on them. I have 1 tech willing to work on them. Everyone else said no way, I'd rather work sweeping the floor or retire altogether. Even the young apprentices don't want to fool with them.

Here we are in a semi rural area, trucks rule around here, 80% of our sales are either Silverados, Colorados, Tahoes and Suburbans. There are a lot of commercial vehicles in here daily. I don't see EVs taking over that business soon. I will be long retired by then!
Karl, I almost bought a Bolt!
If the deal I got on the Equinox had not been too good to pass up I would have bought the Bolt.
As I like to say "it's better to be lucky then good"

Has anyone tried Costco's Kirkland brand albacore tuna? You can't beat the price and I love the stuff!
I just made myself a tuna sandwich for breakfast. That will show my pretty little wife, I'm not helpless!
I feel guilty during lent. I can't fast anymore due to my health and I love seafood! A priest once told me "if that is all you have to feel guilty about you are doing well".
Truth is there is lots to feel guilty about from my younger days, but what is done is done.
I don't worry, God will judge me fairly. Maybe that is why I should worry? Nothing I can do about that.
My faith tells me I should forgive myself as I forgive others.
Like I said, what is done is done. All I can do now is try to do better.
God Bless Us Everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back