Running Bear's March 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a running dispute with the Publisher of John Tews book Timber River Railways after it appears was a problem when I ordered my book and was charged twice on PayPal. The publisher is disputing the claim of a double charge and PayPal wants to investigate. I think if everyone would just talk rather than use emails and letters to communicate it would resolve the issue in short order.
Greg - log in to your paypal account and take a screen shot of the TWO charges. If TRR screwed up and did bing ya twice, those charges should be seconds apart. Send the screen shot to both and see what shakes out.

Evening all!
65F in Louisville and windy; got here bout 1630 and headed straight for Cattleman's Roadhouse for dinner and a few beers. Trip was not too bad, we put on an additional 150 miles going and seeing. From Sheraton WY to Gillette was dicey. Hit 2 in of ice over road
2874[1].jpeg

which slowed us down to 45ish for awhile. Where the pix was taken it was 24F and the ice was tacky so we could do 50 - 55.
After Gillette and South of the hiway there were 100's of power sitting on BNSF. Stretched for a few miles. Could not get over to the access road to take some close ups. From the distance I was at there were blue ATSF in the freight scheme, demonstrators, some CP and CN with probably a ton of other roads. Anybody that live near there that could know what is going on - or maybe get some closer pix of some?
The Lizzard place ( Reptile Gardens ) was a blast. I kinda expected more critters, although it was pretty uplifting. Here is a couple, worth your while if you happen thru. Oh, gift shop was really great. Got a couple of shirts and other trinkets which almost drained my pockets.
IMGP0294.JPG

IMGP0314.JPG

As you can see, she is VERY pregnant.

The UP display alone I80 in Counsel Bluffs is impressive from the hiway. Pain in the butt to get to and another pain to take pix. Not conducive to pix taking as you could not get far enough away. I had an 18 x 200mm wide angle .. well you can see the problems.
IMGP0339.JPG

IMGP0337.JPG

IMGP0341.JPG

Minuteman silo and Warbird display were both closed for renovations, except in this case there were some outside birds.
IMGP0322.JPG

IMGP0335.JPG

Have fun!

Should I stay or should I go - The Clash from their 1982 album "Combat Rock".
Willie, the late 70s - early 80s was a great time for rock-n-roll. The fusion of hard rock/metal with punk created some of my favorite music. I still listen to many of those bands today.
I would love to hear your thoughts on it. When you have time of course.
Something that I find interesting is the perception of the band Motorhead. Early in thUeir career one music critic, maybe more called them the worst band ever! Known then by many as a punk band the are now seen by many as one of the greatest heavy metal bands. At the least Motorhead is undeniably an extremely influential band.
For those who are unaware, Willie is not only a master modeler, he is also a very knowledgeable music historian.

Last edited:
Good morning all! Overcast and 41 heading for cloudy and 46 with a chance of rain.

Still liking the new job, but yesterday was a little overwhelming. One of my bosses came from the district office yesterday for multiple things. One thing he did was take me to the networking closets. Those had network cabling that resembled someone throwing several truckloads of spaghetti into a big pile. One of my eventual tasks will be to work on making that not look so terrible. He also went over several other things he wants me to work on, some of which I really wouldn't have considered an IT responsibility but I guess here they are. By the time he left, I was feeling overwhelmed for sure. I was already really tired due to not sleeping well and then all of this had me wondering if I'm in over my head. I'll get through it, but it was a lot to take in all at once.

It really wasn't a bad day yesterday. I still am very happy to have the new job. Honestly, I'm happy to have a lot of projects to work on now. The previous day was pretty boring because I had only one call for service all day and spent the rest of the day just learning what all was in my office. Nice to have some things to work on. Today I plan to make a list of things to address and get started on them.

So, that's about it from here. Hope you all have a great day!

Good morning fellow modelers and visitors. 4:58am is not my wake up time but this off grid house‘s power went off this morning. A nice alarm on my cell phone notified me of that? I was in the power room within 10 minutes of the alarm but the back up generator was already off and we were back to normal. I should have an email from the service company that monitors our systems remotely any time now explaining in plain English what transpired?

Last day before the trip. We should be in Nashville Friday around noon but now without a rental car. I was emailed yesterday that the car I reserved may not be available till 3-6pm. So, we are going to try Uber, a first for me while we stay in Nashville.

The son said the rain and recent warmth in Central Texas and the Hill Country have the wildflowers starting to pop. That is one of the things Terry wants to see. I have a list of must see roads where the wildflowers can be spectacular. Flowers along the road, a passing legacy of Lady Bird Johnson from what I have read. I cannot wait! But they will be good day trips for us.

Enjoy the day
TomO

Well, howdy there, internet MRR peeps, and those who wish they could go off-grid, but have a pesky HOA to contend with ;)

It's Troy again.

Weigh-in 217 this morning. Was stalled at 219 for a few days. did an intermittent fast skipping lunch yesterday.

going out to look for yogurt to work into the morning routine. I normally do Chobani greek, but I hear there are a couple of brands with less sugar.

Got the new Speed Paints from Army Painter. Going to paint some mounted medieval warriors tonight and see how they work. The speed paints are similar to GW's contrast paints (not as pricey, though). They do a base color, mid-tone, and kinda highlight all in one.

Greetings RR Fans!
We haven't fallen into the ocean yet, so I will make a short post - we did have a couple of 3.5-4 scale shakings a couple days back but nothing out of the ordinary.
Temp is 54F and headed for 87F today and looking for 88F tomorrow before starting the next round of cool-offs.

The MIL is on a very short leash and "we" all expect her to pass within a few days.
She is completely bedridden (has been for a week) and not eating/drinking enough to keep a flea alive - and can barely acknowledge when someone enters the room.

I will be hit and miss as far as the forum goes. Since I have really NOT done any modeling for years, I doubt that you will hardly notice my absence?
I do try and keepm up with all the posts in the "Coffee shop" and enjoy all the photos!

The Spousal Unit and her sister are supposed to leave on their 3 week cruise the 2nd of April - now she is debating if she should go, or not? They have had to rebook three times and will stand to lose a bunch if they cancel short notice. I have been advising to go - as there is really nothing she can do as far as her mom goes, but she will have to face the guilt of not being here should her Mom go - and I know she will have some, if not a lot! The sister is going ... period!

Today, I'll go meet with the County Board of Equalizations to contest the 48% increase in my property tax.
The basic approach: Nobody gets a 48% increase in pay and the county needs to live within the constraints that the citizens have.
I'll be preparing some effigies of the Board of Supervisors in the event they laugh me out of the board room.
Their concept that, someone will always own the property so they will get their money, isn't going to stand.

Sherrel, you have several model railroad clubs in southern California. One being in the Balboa museum complex. Heck, if I lived where you are, I would certainly be a member of at least one of them. On top of the that, you have the Cajon Pass less than 1 hour drive north. You're in the Shangari-la of Model railroading.

Sherrel, you have several model railroad clubs in southern California. One being in the Balboa museum complex. Heck, if I lived where you are, I would certainly be a member of at least one of them. On top of the that, you have the Cajon Pass less than 1 hour drive north. You're in the Shangari-la of Model railroading.
YEAH! On one hand - I have so many choices that I cannot decide? I should just get back to rolling stock building (always loved that) and the guys at OERM have been after me as well.

I hear you loud and clear on the taxes - give em hell!

The son said the rain and recent warmth in Central Texas and the Hill Country have the wildflowers starting to pop. That is one of the things Terry wants to see. I have a list of must see roads where the wildflowers can be spectacular. Flowers along the road, a passing legacy of Lady Bird Johnson from what I have read. I cannot wait! But they will be good day trips for us.

Enjoy the day
TomO

Two things I miss most about Texas: The bluebonnets, and the yellow flowers of East Texas. Glorious!

Good Morning!
McLeod - Fancy Women? You mean like the ones that want a new sofa set? 😉😉
I enjoyed that; it put a smile on my face!

Now I need to find a home for my beloved old leather couch that is barely showing it's age. I've taken many-ah relaxing, genius generating nap on that old couch. I'm very sad, indeed, to see it have to go. - But, I did open my big mouth and say the wife could have the living room to do whatever she wanted in.
The over-priced new couch set she picked was made in China 😞.
The over priced new couch set has generated a whole new set of wife's 'to do' orders. Now I have to paint the living room a different colour. Now she wants my trophy mounts relocated. Now she wants the china cabinet somewhere else. - And the new couch hasn't even been in the house for 24 hours. I think she's just warming up.

I think I might leave the shop for awhile, until this onslaught of honey-do is over. It's not fair to come in here to @itch and whine like a cranky old man.

Here's a photo of another SD40 at work, from the other day. I don't really care for the continent paint scheme:
CN 5322_SD40-2W_03-22-2022.jpg

Have a good one!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back