Running Bear's March 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
and I finally have a pic or two to post as well, still printing rescue boats and stacks, etc, but it fits in place perfectly

BDDAB6A5-A031-4673-B5B3-FE6BBDD2F988.jpeg
126945DA-CD0A-4A60-B1F7-9FCC81E59A3B.jpeg

I recall a medical article months ago about licorice. It can have an effect on your heart. I've notice this after consuming a whole bag of the Wallaby licorice. Heart rate was radical with double beats and pauses. Made me feel awful for the day.
I used to drink a lot of licorice tea. Later read excessive licorice can increase blood pressure. I did notice something like skipped beats during that period of time.

Licorice is fine in moderation, I believe.

I love black licorice but don't east sugar stuff very often and no one else in the house will eat black licorice so I don't get it very often. The soft Australian style is awesome, but also the harder and very strong salt-licorice types from Germany/Finland/Scandinavia etc. are high on my love list.

I read something about excessive amounts not great for "ye olde ticker" as well, but I've never really eaten a ton at once.

For those who like that sort of flavor in a tea, Fennel Tea is a "licoricy" tasting tea and shouldn't have the same issue, not being from the licorice root/plant. Also, tea with Annis in it is also similar flavored.

When my dad ate loads he got diarroah!
the box was for gifts for special occassions, from which we all left to our respective homes not at his place long enough to see final results !
If it's windy, I loosely crumple a full page of newspaper and torch that before I put the wood in. Warms the flue. Usually works dandy.

On 1 occasion, however, the draft somehow reversed and the house became the chimney (filled with smoke)
has happened many times, especially when stove starts out cold, & it is below freezing temp. I have burned large amts of paper to try & warm things up to get a draw. not always successful. 2nd person ,at times ,required to venture outside , take the cleanout cap off & start a paper fire right in chimney, while at same time inside person ignites the kindling etc. This USUALLY works.

I love black licorice but don't east sugar stuff very often and no one else in the house will eat black licorice so I don't get it very often. The soft Australian style is awesome, but also the harder and very strong salt-licorice types from Germany/Finland/Scandinavia etc. are high on my love list.

I read something about excessive amounts not great for "ye olde ticker" as well, but I've never really eaten a ton at once.

For those who like that sort of flavor in a tea, Fennel Tea is a "licoricy" tasting tea and shouldn't have the same issue, not being from the licorice root/plant. Also, tea with Annis in it is also similar flavored.
so is ouzo !

Dave & MM
If it's windy, I loosely crumple a full page of newspaper and torch that before I put the wood in. Warms the flue. Usually works dandy.

On 1 occasion, however, the draft somehow reversed and the house became the chimney (filled with smoke)
has happened many times, especially when stove starts out cold, & it is below freezing temp. I have burned large amts of paper to try & warm things up to get a draw. not always successful. 2nd person ,at times ,required to venture outside , take the cleanout cap off & start a paper fire right in chimney, while at same time inside person ignites the kindling etc.
I didn't used to do this, but now I take empty soft drink 12 pack cartons, stuff them with kindling and strips of pizza boxes or Amazon boxes with a bit of paper and light that. I have no cleanout cap on the chimney since it goes straight up

Evening all,

Let's see, Had one of the old units in place of a "bad" new unit. Once that new unit had it's software patched, I started upgrading the firmware on the other 16 (Kept thinking we had 18, not 17). During that process started having network instability that I thought was due to the firmware update. Turns out the old unit didn't want to play nice with updated new units, so once we popped the old unit out and replaced the repaired new unit, all is finally stable.

In the middle of the network problems, one of our SSL certificates expired, or claimed it was. We had another 6 weeks on that cert, but got that fixed as well. Now going home....

Have a good night everyone.

Well my day changed.

Came back from workout and was going for a long hot shower. Paused to sit upon the 'thinking chair' and thought how the vanity taps are so unreliable. Why, I asks myself. Getting almost no flow from the cold tap. Adjust the shutoff valve - Ah, much better. Wonder if that might help the hot tap. Seems a little stuck. Oh wait, I think I

PSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Oh cruddy-doodles. Good thing I know where the water shut-off valve is, and even better that it was close.

Old black iron pipe nipple broke. Off to the hardware store. Probably ought do both sides. Replaced them with brass nipples, invested in new shut-off valves. Project done, but there went almost four hours!

But now, heading down to the train room. Hoping to layout the reverse loop and maybe get the roadbed down for it.

Good Morning All. Cloudy and 50°, only going up to 69° later today. They're giving us a 45% chance of very light thunderstorms about an hour before sunset. Otherwise a very spring-like week coming up. That always means lots of wind and there is a red flag fire warning out there right now.

Yep! As Terry pointed out it is Pi Day today, it is also the beginning of St Patrick's Week. As an Irishman, I celebrate all week. Of course tomorrow is the Ides of March, Wednesday is my oldest daughter's birthday; I think that she's 44, and the big day Thursday, St Paddy himself. Corned beef was on sale at Kroger last week, and I bought three since they're never on sale any other time. I'll probably get a couple more this week. Lots of room in the freezer as I have been depleting the frozen veggies from last springs garden.

I am past the stage of caring about the time changing. That ended with retirement. Even back then, I never lost an hour of sleep, I always lost an hour of awake. About the only thing I use a clock for any more besides doctor appointments, is supper time. My wife is pretty anal about eating at exactly 6:30 pm every evening.

Thanks for all of the likes and comments regarding the tenement pictures yesterday; Joe, Sherrel, Gary, Guy, Patrick, Hughie, Smudge, Karl, Tom, Steve J, Tom O, Curt, Louis, OB Ken, Rick, George, IB Ken, James.

As usual on Sunday, I wasn't able to spend a lot of time out in the train shed, at least not as much as I wanted. I mainly just ran various different unit trains behind lashed up Dash9's. I also spread out a couple of areas of ground cover, filling a gap between an existing old area and a recently completed scene. I plan on doing more of this coming up as it really makes a difference, at least to me.

From the archives, here are some miscellaneous pictures of mostly unscenicked stuff.
First the Yard Office in Rycon Township that I cannot recall the manufacturer.
View attachment 142722
And a freight terminal from Walther's with added details.
View attachment 142725
I have an abandoned switch tower in Ft. Wish
View attachment 142726
And finally today, a Walther's stock pen kit also in Ft. Wish that is part of Champion Packing.
View attachment 142727
Joe - If I could have installed solar 20 years ago, I would have jumped at the chance. But like you have described and I have found out, it's gotten to be just another rip-off racket. I guess that technically I already use solar power as there are two solar farms that are nearby that my electric company uses. Together they generate 1.8 megawatts. The wind farm seven miles away generates 180 megawatts, which combined with the solar can power 45,000 homes/businesses. That's more homes than there are in our entire county by a factor of at least three!
Curt - I like "people scenes" and have them scattered in as many places that I can find that are appropriate. I was able to get a few in the tenement scene. I even got an "animal scene" in that one.
Tom O - Of all of the figures that I have used, over 1000 on the layout so far, I have to rate Preiser the best, followed by Noch, Woodland Scenics and then Walther's. While I have used some Atlas, I am not particularly fond of them, poorly proportioned and the bases are a bitch to easily trim. The Chinese figures are hit or miss, they are mostly poorly made knock-offs of the Preiser figures. But they come to me as Christmas gifts from my kids/grandkids so I make use of them after trimming and re-painting. Preiser has a number of unpainted figure kits with 120 or so figures for about $20, which fit into my budget when I was younger. I have painted over 700, and still have easily 250 more to do. The only issue that I have with them, is that some of them have cold weather garb. I trim off many fedoras and scarves.
IB Ken - Nice action pictures of #621. I knew that they traveled, but I wasn't aware that they made it that far east.
Terry -

How about all three. Still doesn't seem that everything is on the level. Prayers and best wishes continue.
Troy - I don't do the complete Keto thing, but close as I have to prepare Keto meals for my wife who just resumed that diet after the recent surgeries. I limit my carbs due to type II diabetes anyway, but I don't do the MCT oil. One teaspoon to her coffee daily.
Well, at least I know that I am not the murder victim! Thank you.

In addition to today being National Pi Day, it is also National Napping Day. I like that one.
Everybody have a great day.
I like that stockyards Willie pics looks great.

Good morning, 50° and sunny, NOAA sez high of 56°...

Lee: Your layout looks great.I guess that large empty space will be an intermodal yard?

Speaking of yards and terminals, as my "End of the Line" yard / terminal / staging facility takes shape, I have been experimenting with the head room necessary for placement of the "escape" crossover in the center of the yard. I followed measurements from another source, on the opposite end, and barely have room for a two unit consist. This time I measured 23" from the back drop to the switch points of the crossover.

View attachment 142733
Ignoring the push pins, which are not permanent, the two sharks take up most of the room, definitely not enough room for three sharks. Maybe, two + a cabin car?
View attachment 142734
View of the track layout on the two 2'x4' modules. Looks bigger on paper than it does in reality.
View attachment 142735
Over view of the terminal I have sufficient ME switches to build the ladders, and the engine terminal. Fortunately, PECO #6 Code 70 switches are starting to appear at dealers...Pricy but nice to know.
Yes it’s been one now for 10 years I moved everything off to clean it. Here’s a pic of it many years ago I took
2B4688D9-E766-4318-8767-FD9F5000296C.jpeg
5841AA6D-B52D-4BC9-8AF6-D32271D7E37E.jpeg

Good Evening everyone. Thanks for the likes and complements yesterday. There’s a lot of great modeling going on already this week. Last night I cleaned my Erie Bachmann FT it was very dirty it wasn’t run very well yesterday I kept on thinking it was the track till I looked at the wheels on the FT they were dark gray no wonder it find run. After cleaning it runs just fine. Everyone have a good night
25C0B63B-15DE-44A3-ACD0-FC83CC150E06.jpeg
8AE467D9-7CA9-45FD-956F-9422BAC70604.jpeg
95E7285C-D8E1-48B9-9956-BFE8EAC665B8.jpeg

Hello Shop Dwellers! First off, just wanted to thank everybody for the likes and/or comments on the belated Dash-9 Warbonnet photos.

Terry, you and Marie continue to be at the top of my prayer list! 🙏 🙏

. . .
IB Ken - Nice action pictures of #621. I knew that they traveled, but I wasn't aware that they made it that far east.
. . .

Neither was I Willie! I was on my way home from work, and saw it on the siding and the signal lights were still all red. So I dashed into the house and got my DSLR and got back just in time to get those three shots. Red-and-Silver in a Maryland state park was absolutely a "must" to capture on film disk!
. . .
IBKen: Many years ago while we were train watching at Rochelle, Illinois at the diamond when a Santa Fe locomotive pulled up and stopped and I was amazed that I had a model of that same locomotive at home on the layout.
. . .
Small world, huh, Greg!

Lee - nice selection of semi's you have there! Is that red-and-white tractor in the foreground of the top photo a Mack c-o-e?

Joe - that's a fine-looking set of Sharks you have there - who makes those?

Guy - I thought that CN had retired all their narrow-nose EMDs a while back? Glad you got that photo of #5386 when it was there!

This Daylight Savings Time adjustment really takes a toll on my energy level. I woke up at 3:40am for the usual physiological reason, then was never able to get back to sleep (a common occurrence on Sunday-into-Monday). So I've been dragging most of the day, I was really fatigued at clock-out time - but I managed to get out to the trainroom and reassemble my disassembled structures. Putting them back together takes ~4 times as long as taking them apart. Glad that ordeal is over, I'm heading to bed early tonight.

Good Night - and have a Pleasant Tomorrow!

Hello Shop Dwellers! First off, just wanted to thank everybody for the likes and/or comments on the belated Dash-9 Warbonnet photos.

Terry, you and Marie continue to be at the top of my prayer list! 🙏 🙏

Neither was I Willie! I was on my way home from work, and saw it on the siding and the signal lights were still all red. So I dashed into the house and got my DSLR and got back just in time to get those three shots. Red-and-Silver in a Maryland state park was absolutely a "must" to capture on film disk!

Small world, huh, Greg!

Lee - nice selection of semi's you have there! Is that red-and-white tractor in the foreground of the top photo a Mack c-o-e?

Joe - that's a fine-looking set of Sharks you have there - who makes those?

Guy - I thought that CN had retired all their narrow-nose EMDs a while back? Glad you got that photo of #5386 when it was there!

This Daylight Savings Time adjustment really takes a toll on my energy level. I woke up at 3:40am for the usual physiological reason, then was never able to get back to sleep (a common occurrence on Sunday-into-Monday). So I've been dragging most of the day, I was really fatigued at clock-out time - but I managed to get out to the trainroom and reassemble my disassembled structures. Putting them back together takes ~4 times as long as taking them apart. Glad that ordeal is over, I'm heading to bed early tonight.

Good Night - and have a Pleasant Tomorrow!
Ken. Thanks for the complement. The Red and White day cab Cabover is a White 5000 its a resin cab that I used to cast. it’s a Quinn motor Freight. Here’s some pics of it before I had a layout these pics are about 14 years old
48F4CC49-9222-4E96-9CC4-A9D05BEB0DDC.jpeg
B2B84A65-1292-417B-8D9E-7F22F5AFDAFC.jpeg

My thoughts are, either A--My wife demanded to be discharged, or B--they knew they couldn't do much of anything, and just sent her home so she could be at home. C--could be the insurance company decided she was better, and told the hospital they wouldn't pay the bill past today.
I had to deal with C when my first wife had our stillborn son & ended up getting an infection from him. The hospital was trying to get 9 days worth of in-home IV antibiotic therapy set up. The insurance did not want to pay for that & wanted her to stay in the hospital for that treatment. The nurse had to try multiple times to explain to them that inpatient iv therapy would cost them MUCH more than in-home. That was also almost 25 years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back