Running Bear's March 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rome wasn't built in a day! I don't really mind kits that take a long time to assemble. Some of these laser-cut wood kits can take a really long time. Look at how long Alan has been working on the welding shop.

Indeed! and I don't expect to be done with it for a month or two, maybe longer, assuming I can get regular work sessions in! The Merchant Row kits are nice stuff. Good "bones" which can be super detailed as much as you like or built out of the box and plunked down. It does take a huge amount of time to paint them up nicely though.

Interesting choice, and actually one of my favorite if not my very favorite SP passenger train...but...it ran overnight in the dark, and its cars are hard to find and expensive when you do find them! Guess how I know! Might I offer this instead:

https://www.google.com/search?q=del+monte+passenger+train+photos&sxsrf=ALeKk012xYR3q5F4eJH_7T8udPxbL5UjEA:1616097205837&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=YVVir0w5WM0WDM%2CqUUpJRIsNg2lQM%2C_&vet=1&usg=AI4_-kS6TeZ6fYYRB0mkURKqTBoGfwpYnA&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjThYGfz7rvAhXJSjABHSubD3EQ9QF6BAgDEAE#imgrc=YVVir0w5WM0WDM

The Del Monte was a short train and the cars are available. Just a single diesel and two or three coaches and a diner/lounge.

Last edited:
A sitrep of the Sunshine Foundation charity build that members of our club are making great progress on.
Ballasting, bridge and finishing up the door being worked on today, will probably epoxy the ends of the styrofoam at the Door.
6EA83D62-C57C-4173-AA45-6C7EC8F46FE4.jpeg

19DDB0C6-4560-48D6-B675-66E43FF49B33.jpeg

2F2DA3CD-B179-491F-B187-4D1BA0C643C1.jpeg

With regards to gasoline prices: I would think the threat to Fracking represented by the current regime would be a major underlying factor. In the past several years, an Opec decision to restrict oil by X barrels never had much lasting effect because the frackers could make up for it and keep the flood of oil coming. Now, Opec making the decision, where Fracking is under political pressure, the markets don't think the frackers will make up for it. That, and the current, last few months of saber rattling in the middle east. Between Iran, bombs in Syria, etc. it makes an excuse to move oil prices.

The prices have been rising too fast (I've had multiple times where it is up 10 cents and a day or two later another 10 cents) to be purely a reaction to Opec in my opinion.

I think that if the election had gone otherwise, and Opec still made the decision, the change in oil prices (and gasoline prices) would not have been the same as we have seen the last month or so. A lot of daily market pricing (oil, stock, etc.) is based on sentiment, not underlying economics. Long term the economics play more a role.

Interesting choice, and actually one of my favorite if not my very favorite SP passenger train...but...it ran overnight in the dark, and its cars are hard to find and expensive when you do find them! Guess how I know! Might I offer this instead:

https://www.google.com/search?q=del+monte+passenger+train+photos&sxsrf=ALeKk012xYR3q5F4eJH_7T8udPxbL5UjEA:1616097205837&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=YVVir0w5WM0WDM%2CqUUpJRIsNg2lQM%2C_&vet=1&usg=AI4_-kS6TeZ6fYYRB0mkURKqTBoGfwpYnA&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjThYGfz7rvAhXJSjABHSubD3EQ9QF6BAgDEAE#imgrc=YVVir0w5WM0WDM

The Del Monte was a short train and the cars are available. Just a single diesel and tow or three coaches and a diner/lounge.
Thanks to you and bnsf971, I settled on this one. It's a good show off colorful piece...

sp_luggage_tag.jpg

Good evening Shop Dwellers, just a quick drive-by to let y'all know that I ain't dead yet! 😁

Appreciate all the sympathy expressions, etc. from my previous post. Wish I could return the favor, but I'm seriously pressed for time.

During my non-work hours I've just been holed-up in the workshop, focusing on the recovery effort of my botched F7 paint job that occurred last week. I think now I've finally got it back to the point where it was before I applied the first splash of "fade" on it - well better, actually!

It seems that the mistake that started this whole debacle was NOT my decision to apply numerous coats of highly-diluted flat white; rather, it was my use of the "factory fresh" shade of Enchantment Blue on what is supposed to represent an older loco. Since it had been at least 5 years since I painted and weathered another first-generation unit (my SD9), I totally forgot that I had used a pre-faded mix of aged Enchantment Blue, representing paint that has been sun-bleached but is still fairly dark - yet doesn't look as "black" as on freshly-painted 2nd-generation units. If I'd done that, and just applied higher-density "dirt" weathering paints on top of it, its coloring would have been similar [but not identical] to the rest of my F-units.

The photo below shows it after I reapplied the correctly pre-mixed Enchantment Blue base coat. For comparison, I placed it on top of a junk boxcar shell with the roof still in the deeper color it was in last weekend:

Stewart_F7_ShellCorrectShadedBaseCoat.jpg

This is the shade I was aiming for the during last week's weathering attempt, but failed miserably.

...so with that, and 3 junk shells that I also hit with with the "aged" blue to practice on, I think I'm in much better shape now for the next round of weathering!

Howdy .

Phil, Sherrel, Karl, Willie, Greg, and anyone I missed ..... Thanks for commenting on my recent post, and for words of encouragement. The last few weeks have been very rough for me, but I'm pleased to say I am improving. I have lost a lot of weight just in recent days. ..... I still have a lot of other stuff needing attention which I fell behind on.

Dave LASM ..... Soon, we will have to have a virtual house warming party for you .

Alan, Terry, and Troy ..... Regarding Southern Pacific passenger trains........ When I was a kid, our family traveled by train a lot, and I recall riding on the SP Coast Daylight and the SP Shasta Daylight. Very nice memories.

Ken ..... The blue color looks good on the F7.

Willie ...... When your treehouse is completed, and you are showing it off, it is fun to nudge the tire swing and watch it swing back and forth.

Everybody ......... Have a nice night.

With regards to gasoline prices: I would think the threat to Fracking represented by the current regime would be a major underlying factor. In the past several years, an Opec decision to restrict oil by X barrels never had much lasting effect because the frackers could make up for it and keep the flood of oil coming. Now, Opec making the decision, where Fracking is under political pressure, the markets don't think the frackers will make up for it. That, and the current, last few months of saber rattling in the middle east. Between Iran, bombs in Syria, etc. it makes an excuse to move oil prices.

The prices have been rising too fast (I've had multiple times where it is up 10 cents and a day or two later another 10 cents) to be purely a reaction to Opec in my opinion.

I think that if the election had gone otherwise, and Opec still made the decision, the change in oil prices (and gasoline prices) would not have been the same as we have seen the last month or so. A lot of daily market pricing (oil, stock, etc.) is based on sentiment, not underlying economics. Long term the economics play more a role.
Higher gasoline at the pump right now are mainly due to the freeze , Most of the refining capacity is concentrated between Brownsville ,TX and Mobile ,AL . With the bulk in Houston . Those refineries were shut down for the better part of 2 weeks and have only now just getting back to capacity.

Right now theyre about 30 million barrels behind on gasoline production.

Higher gasoline at the pump right now are mainly due to the freeze , Most of the refining capacity is concentrated between Brownsville ,TX and Mobile ,AL . With the bulk in Houston . Those refineries were shut down for the better part of 2 weeks and have only now just getting back to capacity.

Right now theyre about 30 million barrels behind on gasoline production.
Strange how when certain states were "opening up" that gas prices went up counting on people traveling especially with Easter break coming.

Morning all,

Another Friday! Finally. Hopefully the weird week get to be done and doesn't spill into next week. Still waiting for a resolution to our issue with the county computers. Not anything I can do until they hear from their provider. Wait until 8:00a. Supervisor is out today and told me not to stay past my hours if they don't have a solution by then. I've already set the service bar high, by letting the records folks know it may be Monday before we have a solution. They know I'm waiting for 2 sets of service providers.

Currently clear and 35° in Doo-Dah going for a high of 57° today. Didn't get as cold last night as predicted, so we'll see how the peaches progress this year. We're less that 3 weeks from average date of last frost. My hope is that the deep cold snap last month put the trees off until then, but the maple trees are already blooming. We did hit 80° last week, so who knows.

Gas, yes it has climbed since 1/20/2021 but it has nothing to do with anything the current regime has implemented, yet. Just like the current money hand out that I again don’t qualify for someone has to blame somebody.

Too true! Gas (crude oil specifically) has been on the uptick since last May. There are lots of reasons but no President can do much about them. He can start a war, he can tap the strategic reserve to stabilize prices, but that's about it. It's all supply and demand. The Russian and OPEC production cuts, the Texas freeze, show me a year except possibly last year when gas prices don't go up as spring approaches. Then there's the pandemic. It's winding down, or at least people think it is, and they're traveling again. I hope they're right. Think its high here? Look at prices in Europe!

Last edited:
Good morning gang!
It's a clear, chilly 37° , temp only going up to the mid 40s with a stiff breeze out of the NE. The weekend looks gorgeous with temps in the 60's. Might break out the airbrush Sunday!
Oldest son was just admitted to the hospital with Covid. He was just at the house last weekend and felt fine. :oops:

Too true! Gas (crude oil specifically) has been on the uptick since last May. There are lots of reasons but no President can do much about them. He can start a war, he can tap the strategic reserve to stabilize prices, but that's about it. It's all supply and demand. The Russian and OPEC production cuts, the Texas freeze, show me a year except possibly last year when gas prices don't go up as spring approaches. Then there's the pandemic. It's winding down, or at least people think it is, and they're traveling again. I hope they're right. Think its high here? Look at prices in Europe!
Yeah British prices would make you guys wince we stupidly move our North Sea oil to mainland Europe where it is stored,I have no idea why we do not sore it then pay inflated prices when it comes back...someone somewhere must pocket a massive backhander.

also
We have to do a big tidy up, mice are in the loft and we hear them chewing I caught 2 but the first must have been a pregnant female,we need to catch them asp before they get at the wiring,at the moment peanut butter is working best.....this will be a big job as under the tables is full of kit
691F95C3-5686-4F69-B97C-9FFF5B6CB84C.jpeg

Attachments

• 498D580F-53E6-4FA5-8B75-01D07B62552C.jpeg
    498D580F-53E6-4FA5-8B75-01D07B62552C.jpeg
    555.1 KB · Views: 100
Strange how when certain states were "opening up" that gas prices went up counting on people traveling especially with Easter break coming.

Approximately 1/2 the production for the whole country was offline . 7mil bl/day vs 14 mil bl/day , The rollover for summer blend starts 4/1 in California , so the summer blend may be in shorter supply so prices may accelerate even more.

It takes about week for the local station to refill , so when you call the supplier and say " I need 10,000 gallons" and supplier says " I can only let you have 5,000" .

You can either sell at the current price , in which case half your customers will have gas. and the other half will be totally pissed at you.
Or you raise the price $.50 and 60% of your customers will have gas ,only 40% will be totally pissed at you AND you'll be $2,500 richer.

Good Morning All. Another chilly morning at 39° and clear skies here in North Central Texas. Other than tonight, it looks like temperatures will stay between 45° at night and 75° during the day for the next ten days. Typical spring weather here...easy for the NWS to be close with their forecast. Might have rain a couple of days next week. So, spring officially starts at 0537 CDT tomorrow.
I have a special trip planned for today, beginning with a trip to the LHS in North Dallas and then on to the Love Field airport to pick up my wife returning from Padre Island. A quick run through of the house is in order this morning. Of course her return time interferes with both my lunch and my nap today. I'm putting the corned beef in the crockpot before I leave, a somewhat delayed St Patrick's Day meal.
Still mowing the SFW estate, but just 45 minutes at a time right now. I got the two easy acres done, now it's on to the difficult one maneuvering around the pool, wood stacks, garden and trees in the back yard.

I'll start the day with a BLT sandwich this morning Francine. Large OJ to go with it.

Thanks for the likes and comments regarding the current layout progress; Karl, Troy, Tom O, Dave, Jaz, Chad, Hughie, Sherrel, Phil, Gary, Justin, Alan, Patrick, Tom, Joe, Gary.

Disappointing day in the train shed yesterday, as I didn't really make it out there early enough to get anything going. Then my workbench chair started self destructing and I had to make a temporary repair. Time maybe to get a new one. I had enough time to make one loop with an intermodal train and that was all. Most likely it will be the same today with the airport trip in the early afternoon. I did however, put up the paint and glue that I purchased at Hobby Lobby yesterday.
My shopping list for the LHS visit today is rather bland as well. Ballast, Scenic Accents Glue, a pack of long couplers (to clear the plows on engines) and vehicles. I'll review their model paint section for any undiscovered gems and check out the laser-cut structures for something that isn't a waterfront structure.
While taking pictures the other day, I took a couple of small scenes that I recently upgraded a tiny bit.
Here is a shot into a feed store where I added a cat and a pallet to the clutter that was already there.
03-18-21 007.JPG

And I enhanced the scene behind Rudy's BBQ.
03-18-21 008.JPG

That's Arnold bringing in another load for the wood-fired smoker/grill.

Dave -
moving is a lot of work,
Yes it is. Even though my last move was over 40 years ago, I distinctly remember that all of our stuff that was in a 900 sq ft home would not fit in our new 1500 sq ft home! Something to do with my wife wanting space between pieces of furniture instead of everything butting up against another. Of all the stuff that we moved then, all that is still left is some of our bedroom furniture, an antique china cabinet and my home-built dining table.
Tom O - Regarding the stimulus, I just wonder how much is really needed over and above the payments and unemployment benefits to some taxpayers. The economy seems like it's recovering already and there is still plenty of $$$ left for small businesses from the first two programs. I still see some abuse, like a young neighbor of mine who is still on unemployment just because he doesn't want to return to work. He's a diesel truck mechanic and there are plenty of those jobs available. Things may be different in other parts of the country.
I like your idea of using the egg carton for making trees. I'll have to give that one a try. I am woefully bad when it comes to tree making.
GT - Good point about the refineries. But I still think that there is some artificial manipulation going on.

Everyone have a great day and an awesome weekend. See you when spring gets here. Stay safe.

Good morning y'all. Happy Friday!

My take on the gas prices is that it's all due to speculation...the Investment Bankers, private Capital managers and professional Traders, are taking money out of bonds in order to raise interest rates, taking money out of stocks because interest rates are rising, and are putting that money into oil futures to lure the retail investor into commodities...Demand hasn't really increased that much, and to the trader, the Texas cold snap was fortuitous.

Not for nothing, the anticipated demand for travel and summer fun won't happen unless all the jobs lost during the pandemic are restored, and that won't happen all that quickly, due to businesses becoming more "efficient' during the pandemic. They found out they don't need the people and the facilities, and that won't change once the restrictions are lifted. Of course, by then the inflated price of oil will fall, leaving the suckers holding the bag.

Amfleet NY Express approaching Perryville, MD 1980.jpg

GG1 powered Northward Amfleet Express at Perryville, MD 1980. Photographer Unknown.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back