Running Bear's LXXIII Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Evening,

We got back late afternoon yesterday and MOH wanted to go to Tampa today (McDill AFB) and we got home about 30 minutes ago. Needless to say I'm beat. I need to rake the yard tomorrow and after that I will try to get caught up.

I hope everyone has a good night.

I think I'll wait until I actually have an operable LP appliance before I sign and return the lease.

Terry, that looks like the next Catch...No signed lease, no delivery of propane. No propane. no heat.

The minimum purchase and maintenance fee, resemble the agreement my MIL signed with her old oil distributer. Included a maintenance contract on her furnace, and minimum purchase.

So...who actually owns the heating unit and the tank(s). The propane distributer, or your landlord??? You, the tenant, are responsible for paying for your heat, like you do your electricity, but that's usually the fuel costs, and not the infrastructure, or maintenance of the infrastructure.

Who insures the tanks in case of theft or fire? You, as the tenant? The Landlord? or the Lessor, who ostensibly claims "ownership" of the LP tanks??? Lots of questions, few good answers.

Not for nothing, but I'm beginning to understand why the city inspector is busting balls so much, this LP outfit leaves a lot to be desired...They are probably aware of the vendor's act.

Hopefully, the temperatures will continue to moderate, and you and your wife, will be less stressed by this nonsense. This too shall pass.

Yo Curt, welcome home. Hope you enjoyed the cruise. The raking can wait until you recover from your vacation :rolleyes:

Joe, the lease agreement is made out in my name, and stipulates I insure the tanks, with the LP company as loss payee. I just got off the phone with the landlord, and told him he is going to have to put the LP tanks on his homeowner's policy.
I also planted the idea of him deducting part of our soon-to-be astronomical electric bill off next month's rent.

Joe, the lease agreement is made out in my name, and stipulates I insure the tanks, with the LP company as loss payee. I just got off the phone with the landlord, and told him he is going to have to put the LP tanks on his homeowner's policy.
I also planted the idea of him deducting part of our soon-to-be astronomical electric bill off next month's rent.

Terry: I'm not even sure that a standard "Renters" policy would cover that sort of liability. That should be the "owner's" responsibility, or the vendor's, not yours. After all, you have no control here what so ever, and your only responsibility is to pay for the fuel you use to heat the place.

Of course, I have never dealt with an independent dealer, I buy gas from the local gas utility, electric from the power company, water from the water utility and sewer from the township. Seems a lot less complicated, when I think about it. I have a vendor that comes in twice a year to maintain my heat and AC. If I'm still here in another eight years, I'll probably need to upgrade the HVAC systems. Then again, I own the place, so I'm responsible. You're caught in the middle between all sorts of forces you are not responsible for, the owner, the town and the vendor. Big difference. I'm also aware of your relationship with the owner, which somewhat complicates the situation. I just hope for y'all sake it's resolved quickly. You and your wife don't need the stress.

Joe, there is also the issue of my wife's deteriorating health to consider among everything else. She's still using a walker after her fall a couple of weeks ago, and dialysis looming in the very near future, along with the ongoing affects of the stroke she had. We may be forced into a situation where we have to move into a place that caters more to seniors, so she can be monitored while I'm at work. If that does happen, one of the certain casualties will be the trains. But, we're trying to deal with the current crisis first.

Which, Terry is my point. Y'all don't need the aggravation of dealing with issues connected with someone else's property, when you have enough to deal with on your own plate. If you sign a lease in "your" name, you may well be committing yourself to paying for fuel that someone else may use. Be very careful what you sign there.

Should you be forced into an nursing care/assisted living situation with the wife, it will certainly impact you in ways not yet imagined. Take it from one who has dealt with it, there are plenty of minefields to navigate through. Trains, of course are the least of your worries, or considerations right now. The big concern, is how your current living situation, could impact on your future arrangements. Committing to leasing LPG tanks and committing to buying a set minimum amount of propane for a property you don't own and may not continue to live in beyond the near future is not a good idea. I believe that any "lease" connected with someone's property, should be with the owner, and not you, the tenant

I'm not sure that I'm capable of speculating on what sort of living/care arrangement y'all are going to need in the near term, but anything connected with senior care, or elder care, or disabled care, is expensive, unless you are in a position where the state can pick up part or all of the tab. As I said before, you have entirely too much on your plate right now, to be concerned with your landlord's property. You and your wife need to investigate an determine what sort of living arrangements you are going to need, and move accordingly. There are other options, that may meet your needs beyond the expensive options. Single floor living is a plus.

Far as your trains are concerned, storage units are cheap and readily available should you need to store them temporarily, until you see how things are developing. Same goes for other "assets" above your immediate needs. You don't have to do everything at once. Just remember where your priorities are.

Your landlord, for instance, needs to step up and take care of this heating issue, tank lease and all. It's not your property. The LP Distributer is looking for someone to be responsible, (holding the bag), Your name ain't on the deed.

TERRY .. I really feel for you with what you have on your plate at the moment.

JOE has carefully stated all the concerns that have been running threw my head while reading the last few posts from both you and Joe. I don't understand the reasoning behind the "chinese fire drill" that has enveloped you, but you have no business in the LP business. Why would the lease even have your name on it to begin with?

We're supposed to get a Winter Storm today, however, it appears to be unraveling as it gets closer to the Minnesota/North-South Dakota boarders. Maybe this one will not be a big issue. Temperatire is 26 degrees right now and it's supposed to be a high of 37 degrees. After traveling on Thursday and Friday, we plan to stick around home today, have a good'un!

Terry, I'm thinking about you and your situation and hoping for good health for your wife!

Last edited by a moderator:
Good morning. It's raining and 36 outside, and 55 with the sound of a skyrocketing electric bill inside...
The reason the LP tanks are in my name is because I have ordered fuel oil from the same company for the last several years. They removed the oil tank (at least the above-ground one), and the oil that was in it, and brought out the new LP tanks. As far as they know, I'm the property owner. I 'm planning on calling them Monday, and let them know that the past "rent to own" that had been taking place is no longer in effect, as of a year or so ago. They don't need to know the particulars of why, or how the extra paid was reconverted back into simple "rent", instead of a portion going to the down payment.

Good morning . It's a beautiful day, 52* , should hit 78/79* later. Watched the sun come up.

TERRY-Prayers for you and the Mrs. And I thought our problems were large
There is an expression- If everyone could put their problems out on the street and see what everyone else was going through, they would grab their own right back.

Prayers for all,
Phil.

Good Morning All. 61° and mostly clear, expecting 85° later today. Slept with the windows open again last night. At least the winds have abated somewhat, currently less than 10 mph. I did get 18 tomato plants into the ground yesterday, 12 more will go in this morning. I should also get a row of green beans planted this afternoon before the predicted rain arrives tomorrow. Harvested the first crops of the season yesterday when I picked radishes and spinach to include in last night's salad. Spent part of the day pruning some very large branches off two trees in the yard. While they were not too low, the tips always droop and swat me in the head when I mow under them. This is the result of deferred maintenance over the years.
Just a little time in the train shed yesterday. Added a little more ground cover and some other minor details. I also brought out the weathering powders and added weathering to an old Roundhouse covered hopper that I assembled a couple of weeks ago. I have had to add many coats of paint to the cast metal underframe in order to get it right before weathering. I also added a layer of dull coat to the striping on the highway overpass that's also on the current project list. That's two more projects off the workbench.

Johnny - Well you won't see this until Monday, but enjoy the train show.
Chet - You're right abut the son in law getting the job done faster. I do have to ponder over the situation sometimes and moving around in the attic is no longer easy! Good luck with the bowling tournament.
Garry - Congratulations to your granddaughter on the NHS.
Ken (D&J) - You sound like me, I'm an admitted hoarder though. My train shed is populated with old plastic potato salad containers filled with stripwood pieces, styrene remnants and other odds & ends. My question though is why did you have four bottles of Log Cabin to begin with?
Terry - I got around all of the propane tank leasing BS by simply buying a refurbished tank. If I ever move, the propane supplier will move it for me with the gas intact. I paid $100 for a 125 gal tank in 1981, today they go for around $400, a 250 gal tank is around $600. If I remember correctly, the lease cost back then was $45/year so I made back my investment in less than three years. The only maintenance I have incurred was a new regulator which they installed at no cost in the early 2000's. I think that your landlord should take complete responsibility since he installed an LP furnace to begin with.
Curt - Glad to hear that you made it home safely from the cruise.

Everybody have a great weekend. It's definitely Spring here.

Willie

Good Morning from wacko land where it is dark, 52 degrees up to only 59 with clouds/am and clear/pm. We seem to be oscillating in the 60 to 80 high temperature range lately.
Good news department - my "bucket" had slightly more than ONE inch of rainwater from the "storm of the year" that was advertised.
I have not even watched any of the local news/weather, so i/m not sure how much the lower foothills received. I'm sure that they had considerable more.

This past week has totally disappeared on me. I more or less finished the pressing yard work which almost put me down for a day afterwards, however I wanted the mess from the cuttings cleaned up before the rains came - The trash barrels are packed full to overflowing.

TERRY - Thanks for the explanation on the LP tanks. That makes it a lot more clear on that item.

I hope you all have a good weekend, cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
Good morning. 38° and sunny.

Terry: Not for nothing, but you need to call them Monday and get your name off of that lease. Meanwhile, y'all need to focus on the your future living arrangements. That's going to sneak up on y'all real fast. it's a slogan from somewhere, but "First Things First".

On an unrelated matter, some power distribution companies were offering "free" installations of solar panels to homeowners looking to save a buck on their electric bills. Turns out the "free" portion was the cost of the installation. They signed twenty year lease agreements on the panels and related electrical stuff, and twenty year commitments to remain with the particular distributor, at the distributor's prevailing rate structure. The clincher, though was that the power distributer, in order to "further" protect their interests, applied a twenty year lien against the home. Since customarily, all home sales in NJ go through "Attorney Review" this lien has proved to be problematic when trying to sell your home. Some buyers and buyers attorney's are balking at buying property with such an encumbrance. FWIW: Be careful what you sign on for...

Harvested the first crops of the season yesterday when I picked radishes and spinach to include in last night's salad.

Willie: Great! My garden is still snow covered...I'm jealous!:rolleyes:

Good Morning everyone....sunny and seasonal in Wisconsin.

When to Walther's yesterday and purchased only what was on my list...a rare occurrence. However, of the five items I purchased, three are being returned for some reason or other.

Yesterday, applied the first coat of paint to my Walthers background building. A pale green which should weather real well. I'm installing four Walthers, wall mounted light fixtures which will draw attention to the building in the industrial area. Later today, some gloss coat for the decals.

Appointment today to approve the kitchen remodel work. One problem is the installers have a range of costs to do the work, about 20% low to high. Why give the contractor an open check book? The cabinets and counter tops are a firm install price by others.

Tomorrow, some more train work with installing the decals on the new building. I found two more background buildings in a storage spot. Also have to cut out some photographic background buildings from Trackside Scenery and mount on Gator board for this area. One other project is to install ground foam on a steep grade on the backside of the layout behind the mine. Its been unfinished for years because of accessibility.

Missed out on a great deal at Walthers. Saw a C&NW locomotive patched for the UP. It had DCC and sound and sold for under the DC price. Last one in stock and no longer manufactured. Beautiful model. Was looking at it and another guy ahead of me purchased the locomotive.

Better get going.

Have a great weekend.

Greg

##############

Good morning. 38° and sunny.

Terry: Not for nothing, but you need to call them Monday and get your name off of that lease. Meanwhile, y'all need to focus on the your future living arrangements. That's going to sneak up on y'all real fast. it's a slogan from somewhere, but "First Things First".

On an unrelated matter, some power distribution companies were offering "free" installations of solar panels to homeowners looking to save a buck on their electric bills. Turns out the "free" portion was the cost of the installation. They signed twenty year lease agreements on the panels and related electrical stuff, and twenty year commitments to remain with the particular distributor, at the distributor's prevailing rate structure. The clincher, though was that the power distributer, in order to "further" protect their interests, applied a twenty year lien against the home. Since customarily, all home sales in NJ go through "Attorney Review" this lien has proved to be problematic when trying to sell your home. Some buyers and buyers attorney's are balking at buying property with such an encumbrance. FWIW: Be careful what you sign on for...

Willie: Great! My garden is still snow covered...I'm jealous!:rolleyes:

Free? Free? Oh, wait a minute, if I remember the wording correctly, my Dad once told me, "There's no such thing as a free lunch".

Ken (D&J) - You sound like me, I'm an admitted hoarder though. My train shed is populated with old plastic potato salad containers filled with stripwood pieces, styrene remnants and other odds & ends. My question though is why did you have four bottles of Log Cabin to begin with?

Willie

Oh, that's quite easy. Because I couldn't find the previous bottles that I bought. Same with the oatmeal. I like syrup on my oatmeal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back