Running Bear's June 2023 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aloha from the island known as Paradise to the locals. Stay here a couple days on Maui and it becomes very evident why. It is glorious.

Heading out to golf the next 2 days up at Kapalua. Same golf resort we played in October but a different course and with about 84 less golfers joining us. 16 golfers who except for me are very good golfing friends to each other.

Yesterday, we spent some time down on the beach. I have never been a sand beach person but yesterday was fine.

3DDFFEC3-2B8F-4D1D-A4CE-E3E79EBF1027.jpeg
A143589A-E0F9-4C03-B315-2808F311278B.jpeg
CB0277A8-D59E-40DD-B0C8-9909FC968083.jpeg
6278D498-4641-4AF1-A628-7124F299A0F6.jpeg
F91DC135-F0ED-4C45-B6A2-8713108F53F3.jpeg
Enjoy the day

Jeff: Many moons ago I decided to move on from a company and did my due diligence giving them a 2 week notice. Fired me on the spot. It did not matter as I already had another position of which my hire date was the day after the firing. Also note, that if they decide to fire you out of the blue, what kind of notice would they give you?

Walk and don't worry about it.

Later
It's complicated because we are friends. I'm fine financially, and was planning to semi-retire when I agreed to come here to help. I'd be happy as a clam if they said "just leave then"...

Jeff: Time to give 2-week notice. Don't let them extend that.

Get your resume/CV out there and get that next position lined up. Even if it's greeter at Costco.

"Sorry, I've taken another position..."

If they want you after that date to train your eventual replacement, well, consultants make double or triple what you were paying me...

Back on my home front, the Apple Watch AQ app keeps telling me it's running higher than 100 on the bad air-o-meter... oops, just dropped to 96! is this a trend? or just the afternoon breeze?

IQ Air says we're about 124... so who knows.

I've been inside, and worked on the layout some. Put the tape and first layer of mud on the seam of the backdrop. The hardboard still has a bit of play where I didn't have a long enough brace for behind the seams (recycling wood from past projects - and did the "close enough for govt work" a lot). So I decided to start laying foam board on the lower level.

Again, I'm recycling what I can of the previous layout. These are the project panels 2x2 ft 1inch panels from Lowes.

Screen Shot 2023-06-08 at 2.09.31 PM.png

Using the red Rosyn paper to cut as a template for the curvy bits. It's a lot easier than guessing.

Got tubs of stuff and gallon jugs of glue and such setting on the foam, waiting on the adhesive to set. Did that after I took the pic

Gotta be some other tracks running, maybe in the pristine midwest?
There are Boris but I can only win at a few tracks Belmont Park, Saratoga, The Big A, The Meadowlands and Western Fair. I don't play at any other tracks except maybe for the Triple Crown races. I try playing at PARX in PA once in a while but never win there. I started getting all my stuff ready for the big Fea Market 300 vendors at the Stormville Airport on June 17.
Swal

NYC_george, Swal you’d love these course. I haven’t played Bingo, Bango, Bongo since Terry figures around 2000 when I quit the individual Point games. That’s the games these guys here excel at during the Calcutta tournaments they hold every couple months. 6 point game with unlimited presses…
Tom I only remember playing that Bingo, Bango, Bongo once. We play Animals. There's the Camel, Frog, Gorilla and Snake. Fifty cents for each animal. If you go in a trap and don't get up and down you own the Camel. It does seem like much, but you be the last one to own the camel and you pay for all the sand traps hit in the round and owe everyone playing .50 cents for each one. It adds up to a lot of money. People forget about the low score bet and start playing away from any sand trap on 17 & 18. The Frog is, hit one in the water, the Gorilla out of bounds, the Snake a 3 putt. You don't want to be the last one to 3 putt. You own the Snake and pay for all the 3 putts in the round.
Swal

This is what it looks like in southern Pennsylvania (Lancaster county)View attachment 169586

Not too bad here (Southern New York State) today, yesterday morning was a bit of a mess

It's my job. A few years ago, I took a job to help out a guy whose finance guy up and quite, and he went without a person in that role (which includes HR) for nearly 18 months before I offered to help. I've since realized why his former guy quit... and I have given notice of my intent to leave, but they haven't done any planning to replace me or to have the work parsed out, or anything for that matter. I gave notice on March 24th, and basically said I would stay long enough to help with a transition, but I have to have a plan and an end date.

Yesterday (10.5 weeks later) , on a conference call I asked about the plan, and got a bunch of double talk and other "body language" that basically told me they were ignoring my notice, hoping I'd change my mind.

So I spent the night trying to decide if I should just give 2 weeks and be done. It's not in my DNA to give just a 2-week notice, but I need to be done here.

Mate, I'd just walkaway - you already gave your notice 10.5 weeks ago. They have had plenty of time to get someone else - either way, it is THEIR problem not yours. Tell em you gave your notice weeks ago so now your done, effective immediately.

Hawaii is teh only vacation I have ever had (as an adult) where I wasn't ready for it to be over when it was over. I usually stress out about all teh crap piling up at the office. But not when we were in HAwaii. I was ready to call my sister and overnight her a POA so she could sell all my stuff back home... I was ready to stay, LOL.

Have to be honest - been to Hawaii once, a zillion years ago, and have had no inclination to go back. That being said - I felt like you Jeff when I went to Ireland and Wales didn't want to leave and would go back any time if I could.

Tom I only remember playing that Bingo, Bango, Bongo once. We play Animals. There's the Camel, Frog, Gorilla and Snake. Fifty cents for each animal. If you go in a trap and don't get up and down you own the Camel. It does seem like much, but you be the last one to own the camel and you pay for all the sand traps hit in the round and owe everyone playing .50 cents for each one. It adds up to a lot of money. People forget about the low score bet and start playing away from any sand trap on 17 & 18. The Frog is, hit one in the water, the Gorilla out of bounds, the Snake a 3 putt. You don't want to be the last one to 3 putt. You own the Snake and pay for all the 3 putts in the round.
Swal
That’s interesting. I will print this out

It's complicated because we are friends. I'm fine financially, and was planning to semi-retire when I agreed to come here to help. I'd be happy as a clam if they said "just leave then"...
@JeffH

Maybe I am reading something wrong mate BUT if they are "friends" why are they treating you the way they are?? Sorry mate but it sounds to me like they are just using you and friendship has nothing to do with. IF they really were friends then they would say - "... okay, no problem, sorry to loose you but thanks for what you did..."

Afternoon All,

Started out heading up to Jon's today and BS'd for several hours. After getting home I completed 21 trees and will plant them tomorrow. Not to gross anyone out but I have an infected cyst on my neck that my wife drained and after I thanked her, she immediately said "No problem as long as it hurts you." I started laughing. :D

Louis- Great steamer photo.

Hughie- Nice job on the build.

David- At least the gunpowder one will last longer!

Terry- Feel better.

Karl- Very nice job on the layout. I would think the 2-6-6-2 will look good on the curve.

Troy- Nice progress.

TomO- When we were stationed there (Oahu), our discretionary time was usually at the beach (Barbers Point NAS) since that's what the kids loved. We also did a bunch of neighbor island mini vacations. We were there for15 years.

I hope everyone has a good night.

That’s interesting. I will print this out
Tom the trouble with playing Animals is you start playing defense near the end of the round. There were 13 Camels out near end of one round. I was 140 yards from 17 par 5 that I got a stoke on for the skins. The pin was at the far end of the green. I hit the shot and it hit near the pin and jumped into the back trap. I shouted out you dope. It was almost impossible to get up and down being the green was running away downhill. I paid 8 players for the 13 Camels that were out. That was $6.50 each X 8 = $52.00. The guy who owned the Camel before me was so happy about my dumb shot. The last hole at Harlem Valley was a 190 yard par 3 over water with traps on the sides and back. Great place to gid rid of any animals you owned or pick one up. If you going to win the closest to the pin bet you better be close or pick up the Snake.
Swal

Last edited:
Something has been brought to my attention for addressing concerning the coffee shop and the use there of.

It seems as though some people (quite a few actually) are using the this place as a "One Stop Shop for everything, INCLUDING specific hobby related things such as builds, design, painting etc etc etc. This is NOT the place for Hobby Specific things - there are specific forums for them in the main area and it is THOSE FORUMS where things like making a spline etc should go - not here.

So, in future please post hobby related things in the appropriate Hobby Specific Forums and keep this place for all NON HOBBY topics like the weather, food, cooking and your mums ducks. Thankyou.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back