Running Bear's June 2023 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning, everyone.

No smoke in the air here in Northern Illinois. Looks like its all Northwest, and East of us. Going to be a bit cool again today. Yesterday was the first day in a week my daughter, and I didn't use the pool. It was a little cool for us, plus our water temps aren't where they should be by this time of year. The solar cover is helping, but we haven't had a good string of 90s. Just a couple here and there.

Train wise I managed to get 4-yard tracks started. Probably going to work on laying down the second ladder today.

Other than that not much going on!

Have a great day all.
Hmmm... So if NYC sucks (there's smoke there), then Chicago must blow. 🤪

It's my job. A few years ago, I took a job to help out a guy whose finance guy up and quite, and he went without a person in that role (which includes HR) for nearly 18 months before I offered to help. I've since realized why his former guy quit... and I have given notice of my intent to leave, but they haven't done any planning to replace me or to have the work parsed out, or anything for that matter. I gave notice on March 24th, and basically said I would stay long enough to help with a transition, but I have to have a plan and an end date.

Yesterday (10.5 weeks later) , on a conference call I asked about the plan, and got a bunch of double talk and other "body language" that basically told me they were ignoring my notice, hoping I'd change my mind.

So I spent the night trying to decide if I should just give 2 weeks and be done. It's not in my DNA to give just a 2-week notice, but I need to be done here.

JeffH. As you gave notice on March 24th that is ample time for them to arrange for someone else.
As they have no intention to find cover it is time to walk into the office, throw down a colour pencil and say "Colour me gone." Then go home.

David

So I spent the night trying to decide if I should just give 2 weeks and be done. It's not in my DNA to give just a 2-week notice, but I need to be done here.
That will be a 12.5 week notice, which is more than ample time for any competent business to make some arrangement for your replacement. I just looked at a calendar, and June 30 is a Friday. Let them know June 30th is your last day.

They just canceled the horse racing at Belmont today. I was going to spend the day betting the horses but that's out now. Until the wind changes course going outside is not an option.
Swal
George:

Went out to BJ's , gas and a few groceries, the air outside was gross. Not surprised that out door events would be cancelled. Gotta be some other tracks running, maybe in the pristine midwest?

Take care and stay inside if you can.

Jeff: Not for nothing, two weeks notice, just gives them two more weeks to screw with you....It is customary, in Business, so you shouldn't have a problem with that...obviously, if they were treating you right, you wouldn't be thinking about a job change in the first place. Been time to go,

I think the whole Frozen North is burning. Guy's fish fry in Alberta, Gary's Barbe in Nova Scotia, and yesterday I read that the Frenchie's Frys in Quebec spilled over to their woods... :eek: :eek: :oops: This is not to mention the still burning fire in Jackson, NJ not more than 7 miles away. Ugh!

AC is on "fan only" to circulate and filter the air. It's was 42° when Beth (Natasha), turned it on, and that in itself is crazy. We never use that setting.
Doesn't look too bad right now, but it's supposed to be with us until tomorrow night.

Must be nice there in paradise, eh?
Oh yeah Paradise is beyond nice or really even a description. My brother came out to the lanai where I have been the last 2.25 hours. He said I don’t understand why u won’t move here full time. I told him grandkids. Plus, I can’t play golf everyday. While we could not really afford the area he is in for fulltime living there are other really nice places on the island, but no I am not moving out here

When it’s 66f degrees at 5AM most mornings it‘s crazy to waste the morning sleeping. This is my wake up view
C8576AA5-51AE-43E8-A495-65FE7EC1A3C6.jpeg

Oh yeah Paradise is beyond nice or really even a description. My brother came out to the lanai where I have been the last 2.25 hours. He said I don’t understand why u won’t move here full time. I told him grandkids. Plus, I can’t play golf everyday. While we could really afford the area he is in for fulltime living there are other really nice places on the island, but no I am not moving out here

When it’s 66f degrees at 5AM most mornings it‘s crazy to waste the morning sleeping. This is my wake up view
Stunning views Tom!! Thanks for sharing them.

Hawaii is teh only vacation I have ever had (as an adult) where I wasn't ready for it to be over when it was over. I usually stress out about all teh crap piling up at the office. But not when we were in HAwaii. I was ready to call my sister and overnight her a POA so she could sell all my stuff back home... I was ready to stay, LOL.

They just canceled the horse racing at Belmont today. I was going to spend the day betting the horses but that's out now. Until the wind changes course going outside is not an option.
Swal
We are heading (a 45 minute trip) to Kapalau in about an hour for 2 days of golf. 16 of us are going to play the Bay course today and tomorrow and I have been given permission to play all the individual betting games. Terry set aside my Vegas golf trip winnings and I can play with 1/2 of that. This should be interesting and fun

NYC_george, Swal you’d love these course. I haven’t played Bingo, Bango, Bongo since Terry figures around 2000 when I quit the individual Point games. That’s the games these guys here excel at during the Calcutta tournaments they hold every couple months. 6 point game with unlimited presses…

I told them a "reasonable" transition period would be OK, but I need a date. That was 10.5 weeks ago, and they have done nothing, other than to approach a local CPA firm to handle annual tax filings. Those aren't even due until next March/April.
Jeff: Many moons ago I decided to move on from a company and did my due diligence giving them a 2 week notice. Fired me on the spot. It did not matter as I already had another position of which my hire date was the day after the firing. Also note, that if they decide to fire you out of the blue, what kind of notice would they give you?

Walk and don't worry about it.

Later

Hawaii is teh only vacation I have ever had (as an adult) where I wasn't ready for it to be over when it was over. I usually stress out about all teh crap piling up at the office. But not when we were in HAwaii. I was ready to call my sister and overnight her a POA so she could sell all my stuff back home... I was ready to stay, LOL.
I guess out here can be so relaxing for me I get bored. I love the mornings on the lanai starting at 5. My 2 mile morning walk is comfortable just a tee shirt, shorts and shoes. No matter the month I have walked here in the mornings for years now, that’s my dress. At home in WIsconsin I never know what I have to wear, from hoodies to tee shirts to light jackets. But even when I had my trains out here before Covid there was not enough for me to do. I cannot, nor do I want to play golf everyday. I know if the schools were better the daughter might have moved out here when they roamed the US, New Zealand and Australia looking for a good place for our now 11 year old granddaughter who is Down Syndrome. Now theyare so entrenched in the community that won’t happen. But again, this is Paradise and I fully understand what you are saying. You get here and the rest of the world can disappear. Heck, my news junkie wife hasn’t watched any media news since we got here…

I gave notice on March 24th, and basically said I would stay long enough to help with a transition, but I have to have a plan and an end date.
To me that implies a reasonable amount of time. Ninety days would be more than reasonable. If you are feeling generous.

In my opinion you have already gone beyond reasonable.

If you tell them, you won't be in on Monday, they should not be upset.

They probably will be upset, but that is on them. "He who hesitates is lost"

Give them a date and stand behind it. I hope you get some good sleep.

I told them a "reasonable" transition period would be OK, but I need a date. That was 10.5 weeks ago, and they have done nothing, other than to approach a local CPA firm to handle annual tax filings. Those aren't even due until next March/April.
Jeff, It’s very easy for us internet friends to tell you, u have given enough. But, you make the decision, you understand your financials, your psyche and your health. Whatever you decide will cost you. If you leave the guy you helped out may ignore you or if you stay, sleep seems to be the issue. Weigh those and decide. You always have the forum here to rant and vent, no matter your choice

Personal experience after 19 of the best years working a job I couldn’t wait to get to everyday, it turned miserable. The last 2 years were terrible and as important as I thought it was to stay loyal, they could have cared less at the time I retired.

I decided to move on from a company and did my due diligence giving them a 2 week notice. Fired me on the spot.
As a small to midsize business consultant for almost thirty years I can tell you. That is policy with many companies, nothing personal. I always thought it was a stupid policy. I see it as ungrateful, selfish, and bad for morale. They should thank you for your service, shake your hand and wish you well.

It still surprises me how stupid some business owners can be. I'm no longer surprised by how selfish and ungrateful many are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back