Running Bear's June 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the topic of homemade loads, I reached into the spare parts bin, and got out some scrap pieces of boiler-looking parts, and cobbled together a completely imaginary boiler load for this flat car.

N scale. I still need to tighten up the straps a bit.

View attachment 147617

I cross mounted the Witcock accumulator to the horizontally opposed Penta valve manifold. It's the only way to control burn-down effectively.

Then, the reheat piping captures exhaust. It also has passive depressurization/pressurization chamber intended to stabilize and catch the overflow from the oil pump valve ejector.

(That last part is as fictitious as the load I dreamed up)
Sounds like you will need a pressure gauge on that!.

OK, so something a little more lighthearted, earlier some members mentioned their various cars and RV's, and a few enjoyed the Bus Racing, and you know how us Brits like to be included, so I thought I'd add a bit from this side of the pond.

This is taken from a BBC program called Top Gear, where some of the maddest things you can imagine are attempted with cars.
Both these are the short versions from YouTube.

The first one features the iconic British Mini Cooper, in this, they attempt a world record of how far a Mini will fly after being sent off a Olympic Ski jump, using rockets and ski's

The second features a Reliant Robin, a three wheeled vehicle famous in the UK for tipping over on every curve or corner if travelling more than 5mph, or for that matter, hitting a 10cent piece

This is their version of a re-usable space shuttle, (but cheaper), as one of the presenters mentioned, "It's ideal for this, it has a pointy end"

And I just got some reading material in

Seems I have a few thousand ACW toy soldiers to paint.

books.jpg

Also, been working on getting the cabinets for the new wet bar painted.
Screenshot 2022-06-20 at 4.53.46 PM.png

Plumber comes out on Thurs to quote adding a drain line to this:

Screenshot 2022-06-20 at 4.55.55 PM.png

One of the previous owners had a pottery hobby, complete with throw wheel and kiln in the basement.

Near as I can figure, they put the reducer on the cleanout, and ran a drain line in. Since I expect the bar to be a permanent feature, I don't want a home inspector to find it, and then I have to do it to code when I sell. Better to do it correct now, and not worry later.

I have two beautiful daughters, one is my eldest daughter and we are very close, so close she tells me everything, especially stuff I really really don't want to know, and today is her birthday,(31) but she has Covid, again, so no celebrating today but we'll make it up when she recovers.

My youngest is 21, I haven't seen or spoken to her since she was six, when her mother and I split (her decision, not mine) as soon as I was kicked out, my ex took out the knives and destroyed my relationship with her, I had visiting every other weekend, that lasted a few months then she refused to come with me, I persevered for a few more months, but there are only so many times, you can look at your child terrified by the sight of you, and screams, and screams and cries, telling you she want's to go home to her mum (and new boyfriend, and later Husband No.3), whenever your around. I could only take so much and stopped.

To this day I have no idea what my ex said to her, and I can no longer ask her (not that she would tell me anyway) as my ex committed suicide 3 years ago, it destroyed my step-daughter, (sorry, my eldest was three when I married her mother), and I have spent a long time rebuilding her self esteem and confidence, (my step-daughter moved out of her mothers house when she was 16 and moved in with me, much to her mothers disgust, mainly because of her mothers controlling and demeaning behaviour towards her, calling her names, saying she was stupid, and fat, of which she is neither, but you get the idea.)

I do not consider my eldest as a "step" daughter, as far as we, and the world are concerned, she's my blood, although we do get some strange looks sometimes, my ex was South-African Indian, and so was my ex's 1st husband, so she is full Indian, and her last name is Smith, and I'm white. :)

But I miss my youngest one.:(
That’s super the step was able to come to you, colour is irrelevant, often colour or depth of colour causes even wars, but it shouldn’t, I did human biology and you would be amazed at how a white guy can go mad if his wife gives birth to a black kid, but she may have a recessive gene, be blessed, in fact you are. Blessed.
I remember a white skinned red eyes Indian in sari when I was a child, people were making stupid comments even before they realised she was albino, because her white skin was so stark white and in a sari, who are people to judge. My mum was really annoyed over the attitude to her and her family, and apologised, saying not all ‘whites’ are so ignorant or offensive. The girls mother said she had got used to it, that she was often accused of putting a white giro in a sari as her daughter often wore sun glasses to protect her eyes from sunlight. she said the doctor said she should be grateful as the white was not patchy but the same shade throughout, and that her own community (‘Indian) were okay after the initial reactions when the baby was first born, and that she got it, it shocked her. she said the shame was it did make the daughter more clingy than her other daughters.
I have an annoying habit (it drives my other half mad) if talking to West Indians of asking about whether they have sickle cell issues in the family. I find the subject fascinating, I had a Jamaican boss, she was 1 of 8 kids and her and another sister had bad sickle cell issues other sisters and the brothers were basically oak, Geraldine said having one sister with the same issues was easier for her to cope and apparently her sister had the same attitude. She
I married someone only half English, otherwise European, and my eldest son married a European, so my grandkids are more east European than English, but so what.
From what you say, I read it that you own daughter, never reconciled after the mums suicidal, despite the fact her mums first child chose to live with you, that is sad she never tried to see you once she grew up, and should have been able to rationalise. as you say it would appear the mother fed her a line. I suppose whatever the lies were that caused her extreme reaction were to embedded, or perhaps she felt badfor being so gullible. have you any idea where she is? could you bring yourself to risk more hurt and contact her? You have my sympathies. families are so hard, and misunderstandings or lies can cause great distress.
I remember being told off, and being confused over damaging flowers, which I had not done, luckily my dad caught the cousin who blamed me, a much older cousin, dead to rights attacking the plant, apparently his face was a picture when he turned and found my dad right behind him. Needless to say my dad was thankful I had not been smacked or punished for damaging his prize flower heads which he exhibited. The same cousin pulled a few other stunts but I learned to avoid him, luckily he went back to the USA to live with his dad.I gave no idea why he targeted me.
I am sorry for your loss of a relationship with your child, and can see having a clearly distressed child would have been a massive obstacle. very nasty of the ex. scoring points via a child is lowest of the low.
Cannot find a good spin on such a nasty act. sorry for the loss.

Good afternoon all, 95, sunny, strong breeze out side here. Temps are set to moderate for the rest of the week.

Hi Jaz, note you just posted.

I spent most of the day at the dentist. Got 3 crowns, two way back next to a wisdom (tooth which was fine). Can barely open my mouth this evening, starting to get hungry.

Feel kind of crummy from the novacane, then had a doctor appt directly after the dentist. My blood pressure is good and weight 155 I was happy with all the numbers.

Made lots of headway on the layout over the weekend, facia painted and all wires hooked up. Still need to put in a couple pieces of track and finalize and ballast a section

IMG_2277.JPG

I have 3 ports for the walk around controller and 2 controllers. This is one view, will get more pictures as I go along.

More tomorrow, have an aching jaw!

Dave LASM

Joe- I don't eat at Jersey Mike's because I don't like their bread.
Curt: Not just a matter of taste, it's all in the roll. Because they are franchised, (except for the original stores around the Jersey Shore), bread sourcing can be a problem. Had one in Clarksville TN, roll was decent. One in Savannah,GA, roll was so so. Myrtle Beach, yuch! Locals get their bread from a bakery in Long Branch...Fantastic. I have had Premios Hoagies in South Philly, they get their rolls every other day...obviously day old on the odd days. Great on days the rolls were fresh. Like Bagels from Brooklyn, same recipe, made elsewhere, not the same. White House Hoagie Shop, in Atlantic City was highly recommended, in fact we made a special trip to buy several...surprise,it wasn't that good...The roll wasn't right.

Nice work on the scenery details. I note the coal dealers bridge was safely resurrected from the old layout. looks great.

Uuhhggg! Aches and pains this evening. Spent 4 hours working at the church cemetery resetting headstones and filling in rutted parts of the lawn and eroded embankments. Had a John Deer tractor to move dirt and lift the headstones but it still required a lot of resting the headstones back onto their bases or moving them to level their mounts, pick axe work, shoveling and raking dirt. Tylenol is my friend tonight.

That’s super the step was able to come to you, colour is irrelevant, often colour or depth of colour causes even wars, but it shouldn’t, I did human biology and you would be amazed at how a white guy can go mad if his wife gives birth to a black kid, but she may have a recessive gene, be blessed, in fact you are. Blessed.
I remember a white skinned red eyes Indian in sari when I was a child, people were making stupid comments even before they realised she was albino, because her white skin was so stark white and in a sari, who are people to judge. My mum was really annoyed over the attitude to her and her family, and apologised, saying not all ‘whites’ are so ignorant or offensive. The girls mother said she had got used to it, that she was often accused of putting a white giro in a sari as her daughter often wore sun glasses to protect her eyes from sunlight. she said the doctor said she should be grateful as the white was not patchy but the same shade throughout, and that her own community (‘Indian) were okay after the initial reactions when the baby was first born, and that she got it, it shocked her. she said the shame was it did make the daughter more clingy than her other daughters.
I have an annoying habit (it drives my other half mad) if talking to West Indians of asking about whether they have sickle cell issues in the family. I find the subject fascinating, I had a Jamaican boss, she was 1 of 8 kids and her and another sister had bad sickle cell issues other sisters and the brothers were basically oak, Geraldine said having one sister with the same issues was easier for her to cope and apparently her sister had the same attitude. She
I married someone only half English, otherwise European, and my eldest son married a European, so my grandkids are more east European than English, but so what.
From what you say, I read it that you own daughter, never reconciled after the mums suicidal, despite the fact her mums first child chose to live with you, that is sad she never tried to see you once she grew up, and should have been able to rationalise. as you say it would appear the mother fed her a line. I suppose whatever the lies were that caused her extreme reaction were to embedded, or perhaps she felt badfor being so gullible. have you any idea where she is? could you bring yourself to risk more hurt and contact her? You have my sympathies. families are so hard, and misunderstandings or lies can cause great distress.
I remember being told off, and being confused over damaging flowers, which I had not done, luckily my dad caught the cousin who blamed me, a much older cousin, dead to rights attacking the plant, apparently his face was a picture when he turned and found my dad right behind him. Needless to say my dad was thankful I had not been smacked or punished for damaging his prize flower heads which he exhibited. The same cousin pulled a few other stunts but I learned to avoid him, luckily he went back to the USA to live with his dad.I gave no idea why he targeted me.
I am sorry for your loss of a relationship with your child, and can see having a clearly distressed child would have been a massive obstacle. very nasty of the ex. scoring points via a child is lowest of the low.
Cannot find a good spin on such a nasty act. sorry for the loss.
I know the town she lives in, it's same place I work, she works in care home, has a boyfriend and a dog and is attending Uni. All this is second hand tho' from my eldest, who did have contact with her.
Unfortunately when I had my heart attack, the eldest panicked and tried to force her to reconcile with me, something she wasn't prepared to do, so now they've fallen out and not spoken in the last few years, maybe one day tho'

Can't find Troy's answer so you'll have to do. Ever heard of Little Miss Muffet and her Tuffet? Here's an item explains all (including what Curds are.) And no they don't live in Turkey, they're Kurds.

Good morning all! 64 degrees with 87% humidity on the way to 95 hot degrees for the day. Glad we had better temps over the 3 day weekend.

Had a very enjoyable weekend. Got some relaxation in, ate too much and sat on my butt a lot. During that sitting time I was getting my school work done. My class is going very well right now and I'm trying to keep it that way. I read 9 chapters in the book over the weekend and did 3 quizzes, scoring 95%, 100% and 94% respectively. Trying to get really good at studying again because I plan to take 2 classes in the upcoming Fall semester and then one final class next Spring in order to graduate.

Worked quite a bit in the garden last evening and my body is definitely feeling it this morning. Hoping the aches and pains go away before I go to work.

Back to work today with a busy day planned. All the busy stuff that was supposed to have taken place last Tuesday got moved to today so I already know there's a lot to do. My part-time helper just let me know he can't be there due to a family emergency so that'll make it a little busier for me but that's ok. He's a really super good kid and I'm just happy to have him working for me. Losing him in the Fall when he leaves to continue his studies at a 4 year school.

Hope you all have a great day!

Good Morning All!
49F in Libby and dark

Nothing really earth stopping to report ... except - I finally went under 220 Lbs. Have been trying to do so for over a year with the weight not coming off. I stayed right around 230 for that time. Lost 12 Lbs last time out on the truck - go figure. Now maybe I can finally get rid of that belly bulge. Doc will be happy and my feet seem closer when I bend over. My 38in pants now fall off if I don't wear a belt; wife likes that. 36's are still to tight without really sucking it up and right now I don't even care if I ever get back in to them. Getting old sometimes is a real pita. I used to shoulder press 325Lbs without working out each and every day. Nowadays ima lucky if I can carry a case of water from checkout to the truck! Gonna try for more exercise in and out of the truck this time out - at least walking; push and sit ups I can do in the truck. I will see if I can build up a little more body mass and muscle again. I have a garage to build later this summer and will need at least to be able to help lift 2x6 walls in place.

The Amazon problem got solved. I chatted with one of their customer support team and after looking at the order she found that the ram was placed in another box of stuff I had ordered. I had ordered some soldering stuff 1 or 2 days before I ordered the ram and just assumed the ram would be in it's own shipping package. Ima happy in any event. Did ask her what we were gonna do with the 'Cattle Siren' though as we didn't order it. Keep or pitch was the answer!

Going with Maria this am as she gets to do a MRI. I think; could be CatScan. She was in pain last time home and could barely walk the last week or so when we were out. Imaging told our doc that two of the bones in her back had fused with her new hip and wanted to make sure. What? Fused? How do you do that with no injury and still walking? We will see.

Later

Morning all,

79° and headed to 99° with feels like to 105+. Not much yet this morning in the little city by the big city. Got the test user working with the 2FA\MFA, now to figure out how to really make it work for everyone else.

Curds and whey...cottage cheese! Why some people feel the need to overanalyze...LOL

Smudge: Love the old Top Gear! Watch the Amazon series Grand Tour. Love the fact the cars in Europe are the best and the American made ones are crap, when it the opposite over here. Wouldn't own a Jag, more likely to break down, never own a Mercedes past it's warrantee period, Renault left for a reason, and the Fiats....(Fix It Again Tony). I do agree with them about the Nissan Juke!!! 🤣

Good Morning All. Clear and a little warmer at 76° on this first day of summer. Official equinox was about two hours ago. According to the almanac, tomorrow will be 1 second shorter here at 33.36°N. Looking at upper 90's and lower 100's for the next five days. There is no chance of snow for the next ten days.

Headed out this morning to run errands, prescriptions, post office, seamstress, haircut and I need more charcoal. Didn't have time for the haircut last week, and yes a seamstress. My wife got "cold feet" regarding hemming up the new pair of pants, so we're going to a professional.
In the garden, the tomatoes finally started turning red yesterday and I picked about 10 lbs. I am irrigating as I type this morning; no wind keeps the water where I want it to go. I did some mowing yesterday, but not much, just part of the front yard. Ran out of gas which I have but just didn't feel like continuing. No wind and I was soaked in sweat and the pool was a better option.

Thanks for the likes and comments regarding the photos yesterday; Smudge, Guy, Steve J, Patrick, Tom O, Joe, Sherrel, James, Chad, OB Ken, Karl, Dave, Hughie, Gary, Louis, Jaz, Curt, Rick,

So, what did I do yesterday out in the train shed? Besides moving some trains around, I started painting the first of the raccoons that I recently got from MiniPrints. Someone here posted that the face would be difficult, but I think that getting the mottled gray, black and white body was more difficult. Here are some not so good pictures of the first one of eight.
IMG_1154.JPG

IMG_1153.JPG

I have got to learn how to take better close-up pictures of very small objects. I'll try again today.

Joe/Ken - Jersey Mikes #13 is definitely the best. The local franchise here actually bakes their own bread; I get the Parmesan bread. I am sure that the dough is made elsewhere. I have gotten my order for free before when the bread was not ready on time...the bread guy showed up late for work! Does Jersey Mikes qualify as fast food? Or is it a deli?
James - Great job on the wall. Looks really good.
Louis - Tough luck on the kitchen fire. Thankfully no one including doggies were hurt. You have video surveillance in your kitchen??? Geez! Baltimore is tougher than I thought.
Jaz - I don't think that Garry's pictures were removed by the forum staff. I have often read here that if posted directly to the forum that they are here to stay. His "lost" pictures were most likely hosted on a third-party server that shut down his account when he passed and no longer paid for their services. I may be mistaken, but I have never lost any of my pictures here.
Todd -
Nowadays ima lucky if I can carry a case of water from checkout to the truck!
I know the feeling! I switched from cases of beer to 18 packs (I buy bottles) recently.

Everybody have a wonderful day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back