Running Bear's June 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would love all that wood for reclaiming use wow!
They were going to use it for their sanctuary at the church. It was an interesting morning when they dismantled it. I was going for my daily walk around 7:30 and was intending to head south that morning, when I looked north for traffic and saw at least 20 pick up trucks lined up on one side of the road. So I headed that way instead. A lot of men were huddled at the gate to the place waiting for the owner to show up with a key for the gate. A few had already slipped through the barbed wire and were inside looking things over. Owner showed up and let them in and dozens of guys grabbed their ladders, hammers, crow bars and smaller pry bars and dismantled the whole thing in about seven hours. A couple of older guys were carefully removing nails and gently placing all of the wood into several different trucks, depending on size and grade. I occasionally headed back up the road on my bicycle to watch their progress as the day wore on.
It was an eyesore to some including the owner, but to me it was rural art.

They were going to use it for their sanctuary at the church. It was an interesting morning when they dismantled it. I was going for my daily walk around 7:30 and was intending to head south that morning, when I looked north for traffic and saw at least 20 pick up trucks lined up on one side of the road. So I headed that way instead. A lot of men were huddled at the gate to the place waiting for the owner to show up with a key for the gate. A few had already slipped through the barbed wire and were inside looking things over. Owner showed up and let them in and dozens of guys grabbed their ladders, hammers, crow bars and smaller pry bars and dismantled the whole thing in about seven hours. A couple of older guys were carefully removing nails and gently placing all of the wood into several different trucks, depending on size and grade. I occasionally headed back up the road on my bicycle to watch their progress as the day wore on.
It was an eyesore to some including the owner, but to me it was rural art.

Willie-

I spent my afternoon yesterday doing a wall accent/facade for one of my bedrooms with reclaimed popular wood.

I am almost done I have to rip two pieces for area near base heat and the add a base board to the left of the base board heater.

20220619_134438.jpg

20220619_143931.jpg
20220619_165153.jpg
20220619_182918.jpg
20220619_205826.jpg
20220619_205828.jpg

A relatively small project. I think it turned out pretty good. This wall is 10 feet wide and 8 feet tall.

Morning all,

Work was a pill this morning, but stuff I expect after updates are run.

78° and sunny this morning with an expected high of 96°.

TomO: Wendy's never had frozen meat. Worked there for 13 years as a second and weekend job, never any frozen hamburgers. Still that way which is why McDonalds changed their quarter pounder.
And I agree there are better burgers than the "Big 3".

And I'd love get some White Castles... Funny how a chain started in Wichita, doesn't have a presence there in over 84 years.
Stand corrected on Wendy’s, thanks.

My grandmother worked at the same White Castle for 50 years in Chicago retiring in 1981. All the corporate Christmas Parties we attended were super. She worked 3rd shift all those years starting as a shift manager and she loved every minute of it she said. Knew every cop in the district too. She always knew walking to the bus home there was a cop there watching out for her as the neighborhood changed.

It was a beautiful Father's day in southeast Baltimore and eventful!

Got my exercise/work done early as usual. Stopped by my Mom's to say "Happy Fathers Day Mom" that and the card brought a big smile to her face. Being the son of a single parent I think it is important to recognize her efforts.

Got home to find a fire in our upstairs kitchen! It had burned itself self out, but not before destroying our high dollar, electronic, self cleaning gas oven and range. It also damaged the cabinets and the counter.

The evidence points to me being to blame! I gave my beagles a treat before leaving and left the treats on the range. That was a boneheaded thing to do! Video surveillance shows, as soon as I closed the door Tucker tried to get the treats and managed to turn on the big center burner.
Usually my wife gives the dogs the treat. Her being the smarter half of our team, she does not leave the treat bag on the stove, but I did!

Just got off the phone with the insurance company to learn we have a $4976 deductible, ouch!

Oh well, it could have been much worse, thank God it was not. All the windows in the house were open as it was a cool dry morning. Allowing the smoke to escape. We don't get many of those kind of mornings this time of year.

The beagles retreated to the safety of the living room couch. No structural damage and my wife wanted to remodel the upstairs kitchen anyway.

We have a full kitchen in the basement that we use in the summer. I have until the weather turns cold to get the upstairs kitchen renewed.

It poses a bit of a challenge for our 4th of July party. We usually make full use of both kitchens, not this year. My super wife will make do, she always does. Thank you God for my wonderful wife.

I'm not upset, I thank God it was not worse. Things are replaceable, my beagles are not.

Everyday is a good day, some are just better than others.

Stand corrected on Wendy’s, thanks.

My grandmother worked at the same White Castle for 50 years in Chicago retiring in 1981. All the corporate Christmas Parties we attended were super. She worked 3rd shift all those years starting as a shift manager and she loved every minute of it she said. Knew every cop in the district too. She always knew walking to the bus home there was a cop there watching out for her as the neighborhood changed.
White castle is HQ'd right around the corner from me in Columbus Ohio. They just built a new bldg a couple years ago.

Willie-

I spent my afternoon yesterday doing a wall accent/facade for one of my bedrooms with reclaimed popular wood.

I am almost done I have to rip two pieces for area near base heat and the add a base board to the left of the base board heater.

View attachment 147618
View attachment 147619View attachment 147620View attachment 147621View attachment 147622View attachment 147623

A relatively small project. I think it turned out pretty good. This wall is 10 feet wide and 8 feet tall.
I like the wall, very nice

Good morning all,

Thanks for the assistance - so far staying strong. I actually do need a road loco, I only have one, a 4-6-2 steamer in Great Northern colors.

So for you who actually know RR ops, did RS-3s actually do mainline point-to-point hauls, or were they mostly used as switchers and locals?

Went for a bike ride yesterday (pedal-power, not Harley-esque). Beautiful day even with the stiff breeze which was mostly cross. We rode the Dakota Rail trail from Wayzata, MN to St. Boniface, MN. Round trip is 26 miles. There's a very nice and bike-friendly pub/bistro at St. Boniface where we stopped a rested with a nice beer. Smudge may appreciate the wife's choice: Taddy Porter from Yorkshire - Sam SMith, I think it was? I had a local cream ale from Surly Brewery. Nice. On the way back, though, I noticed her back tire going flat. No pump with us. About halfway, there was a bike maintenance station that had a pump, so got her going. But def a fairly significant slow leak as was going pretty flat again. Decided not to stop at the Drive-In for their yummy raspberry shakes and push on back to the car. She gave out about two miles shy, so I rode in and then drove to pick her up. Stopped at WHole Foods for burger patties, cole slaw makings, and baked beans. Sat on the back deck with her martini and my single-malt and fired up the grill. Wonderful dinner.

Going to see Top Gun Maverick today and looking forward to it. Then dinner with my youngest daughter. A nice Father's Day. My sons, of course, will completely ignore it as they both still hate me and the woman who brought them into this world. And they are of the 'tolerant' political persuasion! Hurts.

All those Fathers out there, I hope you have a great day! - - - Steve J

PS - - bike-mounted tire pump already ordered!

Almost forgot to mention. Today is the first of our outdoor worship services. Started this about three years ago and have three outdoor services on the third Sundays of June, July and August. Our musician takes these days off and I use recorded worship/praise music. Fun.
I blame their education, not the parents, many of us have the same problems, my oldest ignored us until stuck and needs us, my youngest almost ignored us until stuck and needs us. My children had a grammarscool education, they had foreign holidays, music lessons,tai keondo lessons, bikes, a massive go kart, driving lessons, a car to drive, and they are totally convinced we were shit parents. You and your wife have my sympathies, I wish I had a daughter especially one who I got to spend time with, I have never seen my granddaughter and my grandson a handfull of times, so a big hug to you both, and be grateful one of your kids is not a self opinionated ass with the ability to be counter to their supposed ‘feelings’.
University statrted with a massive party, alcohol not discouraged, the reserved room in house fell through and a mad scramble for outside accommodation, they failed to tell as he was not attending courses for his medicine course,as it was ‘his’ private confidential and I never got the opportunity to kick him up the xxxx before he got kicked off course. The second had major ear surgery the first few weeks of a levels and the school refused to help him catch up wasting almost a whole year,and then he refused to redo the year with kids a whole 12 months younger than him and went to college instead, 4 years later his 2 college qualifications failed to get him a job. yeah sighs. I sometimes wonder if a good smacking might have improved their attitude, yeah I know not politically correct but as they never got hit I think I can argue I think it might have improved them my husband and I got smacked as kids never did us any harm.
oh sorry turning into a whine rather than a whine, but yeah you have ALL my sympathies.

I tested negative, (2 days in a row) threw on a mask and went to the grocery store with Terry. Mondays between 10 and 11 are usually fairly empty but today it was the shelves that were really empty. I talked to my favorite customer service desk person. More then 1/2 the scheduled staff called in this morning or were on vacation. In the deli both deli managers had off today and the Assistant Manager was struggling on her own, no others showed today. Slow but steady.

Meat sale today and the meat counter had 3 lines with all the meat supervisors working the counters, the butchers were cutting. I splurged on 2 Waygu steaks. Never had one and they are on sale today only. Grilling tonight. Also today was spend a hundred and get $.75 off per gallon of gas. Limit was $1.50 on that coupon. Total gas off today was $1.63 on the receipt so I have $3.13 off so far on the next fill up. Check out was ok as there were 2 staffed registers with baggers and every self check out was being used and had 3 checker/supervisors to help what seems like every other shopper.

It was good to get out even though I was fading after the 1st hour. Talked to a friend of the daughter who was struggling shopping with 2 of her 3 kids both under the age of 6. Her husband works at home and IMO could have let his wife shop alone in peace. We did skip the other 2 grocery store stops. One was mainly for soda and coffee but both are on sale till Wednesday. The 3rd stop was to be for some buns and artesian bread. Since my carb counting diet started in January I have not made any homemade bread and have limited myself to multigrain wheat bread. I was planning to splurge a bit but not going is fine. They make their bread daily so I can go anytime. I really dislike wheat buns…

Enjoy your day

I blame their education, not the parents, many of us have the same problems, my oldest ignored us until stuck and needs us, my youngest almost ignored us until stuck and needs us. My children had a grammarscool education, they had foreign holidays, music lessons,tai keondo lessons, bikes, a massive go kart, driving lessons, a car to drive, and they are totally convinced we were shit parents. You and your wife have my sympathies, I wish I had a daughter especially one who I got to spend time with, I have never seen my granddaughter and my grandson a handfull of times, so a big hug to you both, and be grateful one of your kids is not a self opinionated ass with the ability to be counter to their supposed ‘feelings’.
University statrted with a massive party, alcohol not discouraged, the reserved room in house fell through and a mad scramble for outside accommodation, they failed to tell as he was not attending courses for his medicine course,as it was ‘his’ private confidential and I never got the opportunity to kick him up the xxxx before he got kicked off course. The second had major ear surgery the first few weeks of a levels and the school refused to help him catch up wasting almost a whole year,and then he refused to redo the year with kids a whole 12 months younger than him and went to college instead, 4 years later his 2 college qualifications failed to get him a job. yeah sighs. I sometimes wonder if a good smacking might have improved their attitude, yeah I know not politically correct but as they never got hit I think I can argue I think it might have improved them my husband and I got smacked as kids never did us any harm.
oh sorry turning into a whine rather than a whine, but yeah you have ALL my sympathies.
Whine away Jaz. I feel I can say that most of us have no issue with a little bit of whining, it’s called RELEASE.

My daughter thought we were cheapskates when she grew up. We were close to broke and her and her brother playing hockey all year was super expensive. Even though on her 16th birthday she was given her mom’s car she and her best friends parents kept telling her we could and should have done better. Finally had to tell her she can’t move in with this ”better” family until she was 18. In the only time I have ever broken the privacy acts in the USA I then showed with online proof my daughter that this better wealthy family were true financial deadbeats. It wasn’t till a couple years after she graduated college that she realized how good she had it as a kid. We are there to help if needed.

Our late forum member GarryCBQ had one on his layout, however I do not have the time right now to locate the picture. Some pictures in some of his posts are also missing now.
I think to save space, setting can remove pictures not looked at after a specific time, it helps keep space available and costs down, as storage is not cheap.
sad that a ‘lost’ member is slowly reduced, I wonder if a mod, coughs, can browse and save any interesting pictures, a lot of good reference photos go this way too.
Stuff/pictures/photos I could easily source 30 years ago are now incredibly hard to find and often someone and not the original owner has monetised then, I have seen a handfull of monetised items I know were used by modellers, and as they pass certain element/s grab them. I have some reference work I was allowed to use and display on my posts on my computer, I saw one of them is now monetised and NOT by the person who I know was using it and apparently was the original photographer. Sighs. This appears to be a big issue on certain forums, whether the forum owners know or are involved is uncertain.
But (yes I know don’t start a sentance with a but..) but someone needs to try and ensure those pictures are not lost, so the ‘thieves’ may actually be doing modellers in the. Future a favour albeit they pay for the privilege. hmmm I need to thrown so of mine up, but you guys are likely not interested in Goathland or Peterborough or a couple of other minor stations I have snaps of.

Our kids thought us cheap us well we bought the go kart which was close to one boys birthday and when the other lads birthday. Came he was like…where’s MY gokart! go kart in photo with a motorbike engine costs a coupe of grand, my husband had the larger frame so he and I also whizzed around in this. that is our land now an arboretum with a reasonable orchard within it. Yeah they were really hard done by. they had to share…bummer. FYI one could drive and one could stand on the back, it was not designed as such but I saw them do that loads. they also drove grass cutters and mini and full size tractor, and discovered it went faster backwards even with a trailer in front!
776569EC-D888-4C2C-BFD5-8467B9A0A92A.jpeg

Luckily my kids know they have it good and are appreciative of everything and don't ask for much. My daughter, the younger of the 2 by exactly 5 years (yes they share the birth-day), is a bit more "demanding" but totally appreciative and understanding (and on an objective scale is not very demanding).

I think shopping at Walmart when they were kids got them attuned to Walmart level stuff. Their tastes are not that refined though they have outgrown Walmart brands. They still go there to find stuff before looking elsewhere.

My son didn't expect a car when they turned 16 and my son was grateful when we got his license at 17 1/2 (I had put up minor obstacles in his path as I think a license at 16, especially for a boy, is a bit early as that is right when their brains are re-learning about consequences) and when we were able to get my dad's old Honda Fit for him to drive. He had no complaints (and still doesn't) when asked to take his sister somewhere or pick her up etc.

(My daughter is 14 1/2 and my son 19 1/2).

We were/are far from perfect parents and the kids have plenty of faults but so far so good.

I blame their education, not the

We are blessed to be very close to our two daughters, though one just moved away with her husband. But proud of her as she is working for the White House as a lawyer with OMB.

The boys? I don't know anymore. I could explain but it would become , in your words, a whine. Sure is not how we raised them. Pefect parents? Of course not. Bad parents - any given day. But overall? Ah, best not to look too deeply in the well of despair lest one fall in.

Thanks for the v-hugs. We try to focus upon the good relationships, but try as we might, hard not to lament the lost.

We are blessed to be very close to our two daughters, though one just moved away with her husband. But proud of her as she is working for the White House as a lawyer with OMB.

The boys? I don't know anymore. I could explain but it would become , in your words, a whine. Sure is not how we raised them. Pefect parents? Of course not. Bad parents - any given day. But overall? Ah, best not to look too deeply in the well of despair lest one fall in.

Thanks for the v-hugs. We try to focus upon the good relationships, but try as we might, hard not to lament the lost.
I know, I would love to see my grandkids and take them out,buy them stuff, my eldest admits early o n he lied to his other half about us and says he will never admit the lie(s) because it would make him look bad, she had a bad relationship with her parents bemoans the fact her father often smacked her and her brothers when he came home because they played up on his wife their mum,his way of trying to make them red;etc their mum, I never got the impression their was abuse, and I assume my son somehow aligned himself to this. Who knows. He won’t admit to the lie so whatever.

I have two beautiful daughters, one is my eldest daughter and we are very close, so close she tells me everything, especially stuff I really really don't want to know, and today is her birthday,(31) but she has Covid, again, so no celebrating today but we'll make it up when she recovers.

My youngest is 21, I haven't seen or spoken to her since she was six, when her mother and I split (her decision, not mine) as soon as I was kicked out, my ex took out the knives and destroyed my relationship with her, I had visiting every other weekend, that lasted a few months then she refused to come with me, I persevered for a few more months, but there are only so many times, you can look at your child terrified by the sight of you, and screams, and screams and cries, telling you she want's to go home to her mum (and new boyfriend, and later Husband No.3), whenever your around. I could only take so much and stopped.

To this day I have no idea what my ex said to her, and I can no longer ask her (not that she would tell me anyway) as my ex committed suicide 3 years ago, it destroyed my step-daughter, (sorry, my eldest was three when I married her mother), and I have spent a long time rebuilding her self esteem and confidence, (my step-daughter moved out of her mothers house when she was 16 and moved in with me, much to her mothers disgust, mainly because of her mothers controlling and demeaning behaviour towards her, calling her names, saying she was stupid, and fat, of which she is neither, but you get the idea.)

I do not consider my eldest as a "step" daughter, as far as we, and the world are concerned, she's my blood, although we do get some strange looks sometimes, my ex was South-African Indian, and so was my ex's 1st husband, so she is full Indian, and her last name is Smith, and I'm white. :)

But I miss my youngest one.:(

Last edited:
Afternoon All,

Started out with a couple small chores then headed to the train room. I put dirt ground cover over the second water pour and finished up the coal yard build. The large parking lot is for the coal yard and the Mill Creek mine (next up). Tomorrow I need to replace the toliet inards in the master bathroom. It's hasen't been flushing like it should and is making funny noises.

Gary- I thought the ship was large for what I wondered.

Willie- I meant to tell you yesterday that I liked your weathering jobs. Nice train and layout scenes.

Joe- I don't eat at Jersey Mike's because I don't like their bread.

Guy- Putting the police vehicle on the layout was thinking out of the box for me!:rolleyes:

Chad- I love poke and sushi. I acquired the taste from my time in HI.

Jeff- That is a neat load.

James- Beautiful wooden wall art.

Louis- Sorry to hear of the damage but glad it was relatively minor without any injuries to the family🐕.

Jaz- I think most kids get indoctrinated in school...everyone is special, everyone is a winner, and social advancement (don't have to put in the effort) combine to give an entitled mentality. I can't count the times I've heard the grandkids say something wasn't fair. It seems there is no work ethic anymore either. My kids are older so we missed it when they grew up and we remain close.

Smudge- Race doesn't matter with family.

First track from the left is the mainline, the second and fourth are the reverse loop and the third track goes to the mine not yet in place.
layout87.jpg

layout88.jpg

layout89.jpg

layout90.jpg

layout91.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

I am blessed to have 2 great daughters. My oldest just got married. She asked me to perform the wedding, and it was a very special day!

So... I'm one of very few men who can say, in all good moral standing, that I married my daughter.

Edit to add that I even crossed state lines to do it, LOL!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back