Running Bear's June 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning all! 78, cloudy and very humid heading for 88 with a 50% chance of storms. Probably the last day we'll see below 90 for a while. The next few days are predicted to be 97, 99 and 98 respectively. I hate it being that hot but I'll still take it over Winter.

Got an e-book version of my college textbook yesterday and got to work. I signed up on the last day you could so I was already behind for the first week. The instructor kindly fixed the online testing to allow me to complete the first quiz past the deadline. I spent quite a bit of time getting caught up yesterday completing one short written (typed, actually) assignment and a couple quizzes and am now on schedule. According to the online grading after all that I've got a 95% going. Hoping I can keep doing well. Going to try to get this weeks assignments done today since I'm back to work tomorrow. Kinda fun getting back into the school thing after all these years.

TomO: hope you get to feeling better soon!
Mike: Sorry to hear about the job situation. The exact same thing happened to a friend of mine. Hope you find a new job soon that is better than the last one!

Hope you all have a great day!

1655057254882.png

Afternoon All,

Did a few things on the layout but the current project is at a standstill until I can do the water feature. I'll post photos when it's done. Tomorrow SIL and daughter are coming over to the house. Daughter to help MOH get ready for a friend's baby shower and SIL to help me with replacing pool enclosure screens.

Mike- I'm very sorry to hear your news. I hope everything works out for you.

Smudge- I've been to the UK several times, Windsor/London, Plymouth, Holy Loch with a train ride to Edinburgh. The last 2 were when I was boating with the Navy. Of course, all of the trips were between 1973-1981. A long time ago.

Sherrel- Tom had a good point about moving to the East Coast so when you fall asleep it will be 9 PM. You should move! ;)

Dave- Nice job on the layout. We get some black bears in the northern part of central FL. They're usually only a danger to pets, trash cans and stupid humans that try to feed them.

Jeff- Glad you had a safe trip home.

Willie- A lot of good looking produce.Nice repair job on the long horn and painting them.

Guy- So you're giving us all the bird?🐦 LOL. I couldn't resist😂.

Tom- And just as mean tempered as dinosaurs (I'm guessing based on the documentaries of Jurrasic Park.)

James- That's pretty good.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Well, howdy there internet people and those who like to nap

It's Troy Again

I just napped. Achievement unlocked!

Yesterday, I got to run a WWII gaming tourney at the local game store. They're in the process of finding a new spot. The current building got sold to a new landlord that is actively attempting to move most of the tenants out. Won't return calls, won't fix issues like AC not working.

they've got a new lease, and start moving at the beginning of July. Adds a few more miles for me, but about another 10 min to the drive. Don't mind since we don't drive much anyway.

In the tourney, ran four tables (1v1 player on each) through three rounds. The middle round was a mission I redid from the main book. That mission, the players both advance on a spot in the middle of the table. Grab a courier bag with the force's upcoming mission plans in it, and drive it off the table. First one to the bag usually wins, since it's 1 or 2 turns for a truck to get off the table on their side.

this one, I said the courier has a bag that is booby-trapped. No more than 8 inches of movement in a turn.

Oh, and the couriers were guest stars:
Screenshot 2022-06-12 at 4.11.21 PM.png

Above a bunch of Germans help time-traveling Corporal (minus his teddy bear) deliver the plans

While I was there, got a text from the wife that HER mother fainted after a short afternoon out. So a trip to ER and an overnight in hospital for her.

Just got the text from wife that Mom is back home.

That's all for now.

Good Morning All. Clear, sunny and 77°. Another heat advisory day with the high projected to be 104°. Only got up to 101° yesterday. Long range forecast calls for upper 90's to lower 100's for the next ten days, except Wednesday at 95°. Haven't had a summer like this in a few years and it's not even summer yet.

No problem with the airport run yesterday. Wife's flight was on time and I happened to be at exactly the right terminal exit. Plane landed at 12:24 so we stopped for pizza on the way home. After that, a nap and then it was too damn hot to do anything outdoors. I don't know how much longer I will have to deal with the granddog. She hasn't been a problem except Wednesday when she puked twice on the living room carpet.

A couple of garden results here. Remember that I was five weeks late with planting so the onions and cabbage are not quite as big as normal.
Yellow onions before and after. These are called Texas 1015 sweet onions, as a lawsuit in the 90's prevents them from being called Vidalia Onions, but they are the same things.
View attachment 147125
Willie: you have a grill protector on a lawn mower? ?? Must be a FAST one!
Classic Trains was fun and hope to get back there. Motels in Paducah are $$$ while Metropolis are better. We stayed at the Baymont a couple of times for $80. Next to Harrah's bout 8 miles from Paducah. Also, there is another train store called Fast Freight Hobbies. Wanted to check it out but ran out of time. From what I can figure, it is not as big/good as Classic although they have a consignment table or so I read. May or may not be worth your time.

Good morning gang!

70 degrees with light rain, clearing later with a high of 86 degrees. Hello muggy!

Moved lots of stuff around the basement this weekend and prepped several models for paint. Ran out of holder jigs so I had to make 1 more. Just a piece of 1x4,some 1x2, and a screw.
C7C5C3CA-BE00-4E08-82E9-749D8D9586A2.jpeg

Fits an HO shell very nice and snug.

Here’s the rest
4A404A45-730F-42C7-B3C5-F4CC8D91EE0E.jpeg

BBL

Good morning all! 72 with 100% humidity on the way to sunny and 99 degrees with expected heat index of 102. Gonna be miserable outside the next few days, maybe longer. Hoping to spend as much time indoors as possible. The electric company is putting out warnings that it may not be able to keep up with the demand this week. Could be a pretty rough one for a lot of folks.

I spent a great deal of the weekend studying and catching up on my class. Going well so far and hoping to keep it that way. Finally took time off from that late yesterday to grill out hamburgers, hot dogs and corn on the cob. Good eatin'.

Back to work today. Stay cool out there!

Good morning gang!

70 degrees with light rain, clearing later with a high of 86 degrees. Hello muggy!

Moved lots of stuff around the basement this weekend and prepped several models for paint. Ran out of holder jigs so I had to make 1 more. Just a piece of 1x4,some 1x2, and a screw.
View attachment 147159
Fits an HO shell very nice and snug.

Here’s the rest
View attachment 147160

BBL
That's ingenious, have to try and make one for myself.

Good morning all!
53F in Libby
74F in Aurora, IL with partly.
Well, the powers that be are changing us. Instead of mo McKesson, we are gonna spend most of this week running for Cardinal - from Columbus OH back to Aurora once, then N.Carolina, New Jersey, and New York. Should be on our way for home time come Thursday. We are ready for it!

Good Morning All. Mostly clear and 78°, predicting 100° today. It only reached 102.4° yesterday so we did not tie the record. There is no heat advisory for today as 100° is not abnormally hot!!!

Cooked spare ribs for supper along with some homemade coleslaw and just picked sauteed green beans. I could almost cook the ribs in the smoker without charcoal since it was so hot in the black smoker in the direct sunlight.

This morning I have a 9:00 appointment with my dental hygienist for the routine cleaning. Sad that I pay the full amount since she doesn't clean the eight implants or nine crowns! She does polish them though!

Thanks for the likes and comments yesterday regarding the veggies and the longhorns; Troy, Karl, Guy, Smudge, Patrick, Tom O, OB Ken, Joe, Hughie, Tom, Rick, Louis, Curt, Sherrel, Chad.

Out in the train shed yesterday, I just did some more painting on some of the various figures that I received from MiniPrints. By the way, these figures, mainly animals, are really great. A bit fragile but with no flash to contend with and products that you don't often see offered. Nicely detailed stuff also.
I basically finished up the Longhorns by using a hint of dirt colored weathering powder on the lower legs.
IMG_1090.JPG

Then I turned my attention to the armadillos. Simple enough, just a quick spray with gray primer was all that is needed.
IMG_1097.JPG

IMG_1098.JPG

IMG_1099.JPG

No matter that they all look alike as armadillos are solitary creatures and I won't be using two together when positioned on the layout.
I also worked on some other stuff that are not ready for pictures yet.

Dave B - I didn't realize that snappers ranged that far north. In zoos around here they have been known to live 100 years.
Guy - I've been living through the 100°+ heat for over 60 years now. One thing about it is that you never have to shovel heat and sunshine. That's quite a few active projects on the workbench there. Better do the bridge first.
Tom O - DFW International does have two cell phone parking lots located near the north and south entrances, but they are quite a distance from any terminals. It would take upwards of 15 minutes to get to a terminal. There is ample waiting area in front of the terminals themselves and no one really enforces the no standing signs. The two lots each have about 60 spots each which is rather meager for an airport with 1800 flights a day. Saturday, I only waited about 4-5 minutes.
I have an ample supply of those Covid test kits but I have only used one once and it was negative.
I have no real need for a drone, but I think that it would be an interesting toy to have.
Todd - That was called a brush guard, same thing though. It used to have a plastic covering that fell off years ago. Fast? It's fast enough with a 26 hp Kohler engine. But it's speed is hampered by the height of what I am attempting to mow. It was an option that I didn't pay for since they didn't have the stripped down model that I wanted.

Everybody have a great day. Stay cool and safe.

Good morning from So. Central Wisconsin. This is the earliest I have been awake since last Wednesday. I feel better more alert and less body pain. Coughs and colds have never been kind to me but I haven’t felt this bad even after my surgeries. Feeling better now though and that’s the main thing. I see by the Weather App it will be high 80’s and very humid today. I haven’t paid much attention to the weather lately. The Heat advisory starts tonight through late Wednesday. Heat index will be around 110.

Not much happening around here today. The SIL checked in to see if I was doing ok via text, replied I am ok. The grandson will be over to hit some golf balls from 10 to 11. He does seem to enjoy it. I prefer the golf versus hockey and soccer but I am not pushing any way. He has a very fluid, easy but hard swing.

Willie, the Miniprints are fragile. One of my conductors I broke off his arm. Miniprints replaced it and told me to keep the broken guy. I just ordered some eagles, bears, dogs, ducks and cows. No longhorns for me!

The drone for us is a very important tool. The horses are too important to have broken fencing and getting out. So daily we fly the drones to check the fence line and every other day checking the riding trails. When we first moved here we got on the ATV to check and that was almost 3 hours so we had to find another solution. The son was using drones to survey so he brought one up and we have been hooked since. Even though the horses are not in every field or pasture it is just easier now to check all the fence line. It’s also how we find the trespassers which are more a problem in the Fall then Summer. But Spring and Summer time bring out trespassers just walking the trails on clearly marked and posted property. Why someone thinks it’s ok to open a gate or jump a fence on property they don’t own is beyond me? Hunting illegally on posted land does excite the DNR warrens though and they get here pretty quick. The sheriff has to much other stuff to worry about but does arrest the trespasser because if a vehicle is on property we block it with boulders we have for that purpose. 1st time we confronted a trespasser the County Sheriff gave me and the SIL hell for confronting them. SIL came up with the blocking in the vehicles. The Sheriff loves it and it is hilarious to watch drivers trying to move the blocked in mainly pickup trucks. We have even had a few shot the boulders.

Not what you want to see after being out of town for a couple weeks and the grass is way overdue...

Fortunately, it was just a bad oil pressure switch, and it was due for an oil change anyway.
1655127431333.png

Set me back a couple days waiting for a part, but could have been a lot worse! This thing is built like a tank. I'm sure there are better mowers out there, but this thing is like the energizer rabbit.... it just keeps going.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back