Running Bear's June 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited:
Good afternoon all,

We have 66° and cloudy, a little rain this morning, only supposed to be 77 later today. And tomorrow, they hyped up this big heat wave, high is only 84. You guys in that heat dome STAY COOL if possible.

Snappers : we have lots of them. So far, three laying eggs in our yard, a couple on the road. They have a prehistoric appearance to them, and move really slow.

I think they are really cool animals. We also have painted turtles coming to the yard and laying eggs, not as interesting. We have three ponds within 100' of the house, two of them connected by a channel. There is lots of wildlife here! We feed the birds and have a salt block out for the deer, otherwise all the wild animals are on their own.

Ken: hope you keep up your A average!

Trains:

Here is the area around the sawmill, a lot of it is done. Will add moving on to other areas of the layout, however will put some gravel around the office foundation and also maybe the infeed ramp for the sawmill so I can put logs out.

IMG_2251.JPG

more later, Dave LASM

Hello Gang!

I am back from Texas! I will be posting up some pics from the trip and posting a few goodies that came this month and last month while I was traveling around to Alabama and Texas.

Texas was hot but bearable in the mornings. It did have some really hot afternoons and some records fell. I believe Willie mentioned that too.

I did some visiting in and around Haslet TX and downtown Fort Worth. Places I hit and things I did from Thursday to Sunday.....

In and Out Burger (I always wanted to try it and I liked it and bought a cool T-shirt from here)

Saw Top Gun Maverick with my buddy. Interesting story here. My buddy and I saw the original for the first time in 1986 when it came out so this was a cool way to celebrate our reunion. He served in the Navy 25 years on various aircraft carriers including the USS Lexington that was later decommissioned and now works for Lockheed Martin Aeronautics. Seeing the movie, this was a planned thing we wanted to do.

We went to Cattle Men's Steak House http://cattlemenssteakhouse.com/ A good friend of mine who lived in Texas for 20 plus years told me about the place so I had to go. I met the owner of the establishment. She and her husband bought it from the original owners in 1994. Anyways the PBR (Professional Bull Riders assoc.) guys were there I got introduced to a few of them. Really cool. I also learned they filmed some of the 1883 tv show that is a spin off for Yellowstone, 1883 was filmed there and they showed me that area which was awesome. They explained to me how they did it and man it was a long azz process! A lot of work but they did it! I got a T-shirt from here too! One thing for sure, there was a lot of "eye candy" for this single man to see. Hubba hubba! It wasn't enough to make me move to Texas just yet lol.....but close!

I went to BNSF intermodal yard in Haslet took some pictures which I will share later tonight. I did get a few UP train pictures as well. Nice facility there. Literally a stone throw away from my buddy's place.

Went to both the Bass Pro shops in Garland TX on Lake Ray Hubbard and then we did go to Cabela's too in Fort Worth.

We fished Lake Fork on Saturday with a professional guide provided by Billy Lawson https://www.yourlakeforkguide.com/
We did not unfortunately get to have Billy but we got another dude and he was pretty good. I rated him a 7 out of 10. I am pretty critical and take my time on the water very serious. Many of you know I fish a lot and travel a lot and I have used guides in the past and most time I don't use them if I know the water. This was my 1st time on Lake Fork and I didn't travel with my boat either this time soooooo there's that. We did get a few bass but no double digits that I was after. :confused: The lake was drawn down by 15 foot due to repairs to the dam and other items. That in itself created unusual patterns for the fish. Will post pics a later tonight.

Went to Whataburgers for breakfast lol that was neat. I used to go there all the time when I lived in Tallahassee Fl. lol

Spent the rest of the time chilling with my Navy buddy and his family. All in all a great short stay in Haslet, Texas. Will go again, maybe next year. I have too many other trips lined up for the rest of this year so yup I'm booked out for this year.

It is good to be back in the Adirondacks of upstate NY. Cooler weather. I will get back to this later ya'll have a good afternoon!

Last edited:
My only beef with snapping turtles is that they will predate and eat ducks. I'd rather have the ducks. They can have the geese though... nasty animals.

I removed an old snapper from our pond a couple of years ago. it's shell was probably 15" across... I mostly see musk turtles now. They're benign.

My only beef with snapping turtles is that they will predate and eat ducks. I'd rather have the ducks. They can have the geese though... nasty animals.

I removed an old snapper from our pond a couple of years ago. it's shell was probably 15" across... I mostly see musk turtles now. They're benign.
We had a family of teal hatch out on our big pond, they somehow escaped the snappers jaw!

Our three ponds all have different characteristics. One pond gets some wind and stays clear of duckweed. I cleared the trees on 2 sides of it and it sees mallards, teal, wood duck, green herons, and bufflehead . We call it the big pond.

A smaller pond totally surrounded be woods has lots of painted turtles sunning themselves, and I think the green Heron likes this one best. I also think the snappers prefer this pond. We call it the murky pond.

A third pond is a favorite of muskrats. It is called the east pond.

The Orioles ownership is interesting to me. Prior to Angelos it was owned for a short time by a group headed by a guy named Eli Jacobs.

After he was forced to sell the Orioles, Jacobs, in 1997 or so was part of an investment group that formed a startup to do Y2K remediation. The head was an M&A guy named Joe Flomm and he brought his cronies in including Jacobs. What is interesting is that Flomm's son was friends with Doug Banker, the long time manager for Ted Nugent (I believe that is still the case), and was involved in starting up the business as the technical guy who started it was friends with Banker. Anyway, I worked at the startup for a little over a year before it imploded. Part of the implosion is that Jacobs tried to disrupt and drive the business down so he could buy out the others for pennies on the dollar, and then try and revive it. When it failed the first time (on Pearl Harbor day 1998), Jacob's did indeed buy the others out soon thereafter and a few people were invited back to work for the company (not me but a friend of mine was). Jacobs tried to pour a small amount in and build it back up but it floundered and failed in 1998.

The games these "rich" people play and the destruction they leave behind is astounding. They play with companies, and the people who have invested time and money into them, like they were toy soldiers...

(BTW: that technical founder who was friends with Doug Banker was also big at the local gun club / fish and game club and so Ted Nugent came in and did a private engagement for the club's annual member banquet. Unfortunately, the company had just failed and I didn't have a job so I had to skip. The banquet fee was not large or anything due to Ted -- I was just out of a job and was not able to attend.)

Good afternoon Everyone...........cloudy and the forecasted rain is just starting to fall. Tomorrow the temps should be in the mi-90's then cool slightly the next day. Turtles can live for a hundred years or more in the right location. I've see basket sized snapper turtles walking across roadways on warm days. When I was young and when swimming in a muddy beach I accidentally stepped on a large snapper. I was lucky no to lose a toe or two that day. To this day, I will not swim in a pond or lake if it has any turtles.

Been busy watching the stock markets fall and losing money in full baskets. I know the stocks will come back in due time, but how much time will it take for the markets to recover? This was one heck of a market correction.

Anyone out that can recommend a good cab ride or two videos? I've seen the Colorado Museum videos shot in Greenly, Co.

MD's again tomorrow.

Willie:
That's a nice crop of tomatoes in your garden plot. We didn't plant any this year.

This weekend I plan on driving up to the Train Show at Strawberry Fest in Waupaca, Wisconsin. Going to meet some relatives at the snack corner at the show to catch up on the past three years. I do not need anything in general, but maybe some gondola loads or flat car equipment. Perhaps a car or two??? NO ENGINES!

IMG_0143.JPG
This is the industrial area of the Saxeville Interchange. The plastic Walters background buildings will be replaced with wooden structures that I feel are more realistic. I still need to install background photos behind the buildings. The tracks yet are to be ballasted in the interchange area. It is a high area of the layout and maybe a bit difficult to reach to do the ballasting. The ballasting should have been done earlier in the modeling process-Greg

Log Cars.JPG
Following the lead of TomO, the plastic logs on the pulpwood cars will be replaced with wood cut from spruce branches form trees near our cabin. I stocked up on these cars at one year's Trainfest and paid maybe $9.00 a piece for each car...seemed like a bargain at the time? The car on the right has the best plastic logs. A Woodland's building has replaced the wooden barn type structure that is now at the Saxeville Interchange.-Greg

Waupaca One.jpg

Waupaca is in a corner of the layout. A junk yard is hidden between the tower and the building with the roof top Firestone sign. The track at the right will lead off to the expansion area. Some ground cover I ordered from the Czech Republic will be installed in the area in fornt of the tower.-Greg

IMG_0372.JPG
A better view of Waupaca with the quarry access point just behind the sign. Additional weathering has been done to the quarry's stone work and looks more realistic and the area above the quarry has been completed.-Greg

That's about all for now.....later.

Greg

#################

IMG_0377.JPG
A Milwaukee Racine & Troy locomotive, equipped with sound, DCC and ditch lights on the CM&N.-Greg

We had a family of teal hatch out on our big pond, they somehow escaped the snappers jaw!

Our three ponds all have different characteristics. One pond gets some wind and stays clear of duckweed. I cleared the trees on 2 sides of it and it sees mallards, teal, wood duck, green herons, and bufflehead . We call it the big pond.

A smaller pond totally surrounded be woods has lots of painted turtles sunning themselves, and I think the green Heron likes this one best. I also think the snappers prefer this pond. We call it the murky pond.

A third pond is a favorite of muskrats. It is called the east pond.
Sounds to me like you've got:
Bird Pond
Turtle Pond
and Muskrat Pond

Sounds to me like you've got:
Bird Pond
Turtle Pond
and Muskrat Pond
Then I would have to do some relearning

Wife and I previously agreed to use these names consistently...

Murky pond
Big pond
East pond

There is another 20 acre pond in view of our bedroom:

Grand pond. (Not only big, but owned by Rick Grand)

However, I will make the suggested change to the boss.

Dave

Afternoon All,

Daughter and SIL showed up at 10 am and SIL and myself did the screen work. I was outside about 90 minutes and thought I was going to melt. In he train room I put together 3 exterior lights and 2 interior lights. I also made up and printed a sign for the private coal business I've been working on. Tomorrow I'll build the sign frame work.

Troy- I agree with the names.

Karl- Looks like you're doing a great job with details.

Todd- Safe travels.

Willie- You're critters look really good. I've been thinking of getting their skunks since I can't seem to find the ones I had.

Dave- Nice layout shot.

James- Sounds like a great time.

Greg- Nice layout shots.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back