Running Bear's June 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning all! 65 with a little fog on the way to sunny and 80. We got that nice, soft rain I was hoping for yesterday so the garden should be pretty happy. Got something eating the tops off my corn, so I'm hoping it lives through that. Always gotta be something trying to eat my garden before I get to. Nothing much else to report. Hope you all have a great day!

Well, howdy there internet people, those who recognized the other fellows in my last post

It's Troy again.

No progress on the train set, but today is the day for the cabinetry to be delivered. It will become a wet-bar area (facing the wall, not a service bar) This will be cabinets, counter, and a small stainless sink for coffee and hobby usage.

I need to get the plumber out for a quote on installing a drainline. A previous owner put a reducer on a 4" cleanout port on the main drain line in the condo. I'm fairly certain using that is not to code. Fortunately, water is already run to that area. The plumber would just need to cut the main drain, install a T and give me a stub out.

That's it for now. Need to go back to wording.

Good Morning All. Mostly cloudy here and 75°, high yesterday was only 92° which was well below the forecast.

Headed out in a little bit for a doctor's appointment at 9:15, my regularly scheduled appointment with the primary care guy. Kinda sets back the whole day since he is 45 miles away and I waste two hours commuting. But I like the guy and have been using him for 18 years despite him moving the office further away after I started seeing him.

Thanks for the comments and likes regarding yesterday's progress report; Sherrel, Dave B, Dave, Tom O, Ken (D&J), Guy, Karl, Hughie, Steve J, Chad, Curt, Patrick, OB Ken, Louis, Tom, Jaz, Smudge, Joe, Rick. Did I miss anyone?

Out in the train shed yesterday, I completed the tie-downs on the other two tractors.
IMG_1037.JPG

Since this flatcar is fairly new for the era that I model, I will just do some mild weathering on it next. I have several weathering projects on the shelf just waiting for me to get into the mood.
I also did some general cleanup out there that I have been ignoring for a couple of weeks.
I mentioned the other day that I am removing some of my Athearn Blue Box locos from the layout. It's a shame since most of them still run really well. But with the old clear number boards and the cut-out in the pilots, they just aren't up to the standards of my newer ScaleTrains locos. They may be future projects possibly by 2028.

Dave B - Yep! I am trying to get back to normal as quickly as I can. This 10 lb. restriction thing is a setback that I hadn't thought of.
Jeff - Nice waterfront scenes.
OB Ken - I don't grow corn so I am not familiar with with pests that bother them.

Got to cut out early for the doctor appointment. Everyone have a great day and I'll be back.

61 degrees looking at 89 later with sunny and breezy!

Kate is spending the night with Irene trying to pack more things for the yard sale.
Frankly, I have never seen "so much stuff", anf the amount that has already been removed is astonishing!

Both of our vehicles are on empty with the fuel light on and the price is now $7.00 a gallon. I found a receipt in the RV where I filled it up last September for $4.41 a gallon.
CA has another gas tax increase to be added July 1st and no word from King Newsome as to cancelling it?

Won't take me long to vote this year (primary is today)! I place a wager that you know what ticket I will be voting on -- straight down the line.

Enjoy your day, I Better git2it!

P.S. WILLIE: I would think that the tractors would need the blocks on the wheels too! The chains do look good.

Morning all,

Some light rain overnight and on the way to work. Watch the oldest granddaughter's softball game last night. While she struck out her 2 times at bat, (hit all 4 times at bat her last game) her team won. Now we have to make a trip to watch the #2 granddaughter play at one of her games.

Storms expected later today, for now we don't need anymore rain. Wish it would fall where they can use it.

Well, vacation plans put on hold once again. The trip we wanted to take doubled in price and I'd rather have the money for now. Gas jumped $0.40 overnight, so the drive is canceled. We may attempt it again in the fall when prices traditionally go down (but probably not this year).

PRR: English with a techie twist. A VLAN is a Virtual Local Area Network. In other words, like county and city governments. Each overlay the other, but separate entities.

BBL

Good morning all, it is up to 47° after starting at a chilly 40 when I got up

At least the sun is shining, and it will warm up nicely today!

Troy - you really do excellent work on your figures

Willie - car load looks GREAT

Curt - I was looking at your layout pics from last week, wonder what you are using for your gravel roads?

ALSO Willie glad you brought up D-Day. That reminded me of all the old photos I have from my Great Uncle Carrol Banta, who was in the 743rd Tank Battalion. They landed on Omaha beach. Here is a taste of the photo history he left me

001 D Day.jpg

He has several maps like this. He was also in the Battle of the Bulge.

Here is one of the clearest pic, no date but was in sequence somewhere in the middle of the pack of photos:

010 Red Cross.jpg

Many of the other photos are dated and include names, however they are not as clear

Lastly, a group of the guys. My uncle is on the far right:

011 Paris R&R 1944.jpg

These guys do look a little tired. And I don't think it is from partying. Boots are shined, however.

Not sure why he titled it a mixed pass.

Makes me think back to what these guys endured.

More later, Dave LASM

Good Morning!
Lots of wet weather happening, and all I can do is help the wife with her stuff. Which is OK, because I need to keep her happy.

Yesterday, we travelled to Barrhead to visit a greenhouse. The wife is looking to beautify the property, and spending lots to do it.
So, while she's shopping, I take the opportunity to capture photos of things that interest me.

I collect photos of old vehicles, equipment, buildings and industries, and trains and airplanes, as I find them. You never know when you'll need a handy photo of an old, rusty pick-up for weathering purposes:
BarrheadTruck_06-06-2022 (1).JPG

Or, one day I might want to know what a seed cleaning plant looks like, for modelling purposes:
BarrheadSilo_06-06-2022 (1).JPG

BarrheadSilo_06-06-2022 (2).JPG

That particular plant is not rail serviced, as there are no tracks in Barrhead. It could very easily be made rail serviced, though.
I'm actually considering going back soon, so I can get photos from all sides.

.the sand I need for the main scene doesn't get here until Wednesday.
Curt - Do you purchase special sand for you're layout? Also, I notice on in the photo, that you seem to be making water in the foreground. If so, is it your intention to paint the water after the river material is down? It dosen't look like the plywood is painted ar all.
Real nice looking ledges and trees, bye-the-way!

Willie - The tractor loads and chain look wonderful. They'd look even better with chain cinches, but, I don't even know if those exist in HO.

Dave - I'm actually a WWII history enthusiast. I admire and respect all veterans from that time, and have met many as I grew-up. Even my old scout leader was a battle sergeant during the time. He taught me how to shoot in the basement of an elementary school. Can't do that anymore today.

Well, I'd better get to it. Have a great day!

Good morning, yep slept in very late this morning. 8:55 is almost 3 hours later then normal but Terry said she wasn’t getting concerned until 9am. We got home at 11:15pm and I was in bed at 11:45 and I think out instantly. The 2 hockey games at 4 and 8pm took a lot out of me I guess.

We watched a very dull under 18 Womens International Hockey championship opening round game at 4. A totally superior Canadian team sleep walked their way to a 0-2 lost to Finland. The Finland goalie was very good but Canada just seemed indifferent. At 8 a vastly superior USA team beat down a feisty team of girls from Sweden, 6-1. The goalie from Sweden played outstanding or the game could have been high double digits. Today we will see USA and Finland and then watch Canada against Sweden. Terry and I both love the women’s games and on those 4 teams yesterday there are 8 girls committed to play for the UW Badgers.

No trains yesterday and I doubt any today. I am heading out to cut 3 acres of grass around the house. Terry is heading out to do some Vinegar/salt/soap treatments on a couple weed beds that actually should be flowers but the flowers have not appeared. After the vinegar these beds will be out of commission this year. It is disappointing but Mother Nature always has her say.

Best growing grass this season seems to be under 3 of the solar panel arrays in the yard.

Has anyone here done the Stout train auctions out of Indiana?

Have a great day

Afternoon All,

Spent several hours today putting in ground cover, gravel roads, parking lots, and a walking path. I'll be able to start weathering it tomorrow.

Thank you for the photo likes yesterday.

Troy- Nicely painted figures.

Terry- I'm thinking of you and hope things are going as good as they can.

Willie- Very nice tractor load on the flat. What is that about 1.5 mill in 1:1 tractors?

Sherrel- It took our family here in the area 2 months to completely clean out Mom & Dad's rental working daily at it. They were definitely hoarders. But at least they were clean ones.

Patrick- My son had to show me last night how to attach a site to my home screen.

Guy- Interesting photos especially the p/u. I sent you a PM.

Dave- Interesting photos. My boat went to San Francisco for a Fleet Week (boat named after city) and a chapter of the WWII Subvets hosted the boat while in port. They were amazing men and truly part of the greatest generation.

The miners village is to the pictures left. The first wide area will be the coal trestle. The black is the trestle footprint.

layout76.jpg

This is the parking lot for the mine.

layout77.jpg

This is the start of the walking path to the next mine (BTS Mill Creek). Note the stairs for the workers.

layout78.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night,

Well howdy there people who I can see clearly now

new spectacles day

newspecs.jpg

Thanks for the comments about the figures, but they're only about half done. Spent this morning highlighting the MASH ones. Once I highlight the Stalag 13 ones (yes, I do have Hogan, but didn't bust him out yet), I'll add the wash (Strong tone from Army painter) then dry brush with a highlight tan.

P.S. WILLIE: I would think that the tractors would need the blocks on the wheels too! The chains do look good.
I looked at many pictures on the Internet, and have seen a few of these loads in person while railfanning. They do not use wheel chocks or blocks on any of them. That was my original plan, but I didn't remember seeing any. So I checked about two dozen pictures and videos on the net. None!

I looked at many pictures on the Internet, and have seen a few of these loads in person while railfanning. They do not use wheel chocks or blocks on any of them. That was my original plan, but I didn't remember seeing any. So I checked about two dozen pictures and videos on the net. None!
As far as I know chock's would only be used as a temporary measure while chaining down the vehicle, for safety reasons, they then have to be removed because with the movement of the vehicle (doesn't matter how well you chain it, it will move,) the chocks can fall off, as unlikely as it seems, they could fall under the car, if hit by a wheel, it may then cause a derailment, or the load to move, which if the center of balance is off, would be dangerous on curves and cause the car to tip over.

Afternoon All,

Spent several hours today putting in ground cover, gravel roads, parking lots, and a walking path. I'll be able to start weathering it tomorrow.

Thank you for the photo likes yesterday.

Troy- Nicely painted figures.

Terry- I'm thinking of you and hope things are going as good as they can.

Willie- Very nice tractor load on the flat. What is that about 1.5 mill in 1:1 tractors?

Sherrel- It took our family here in the area 2 months to completely clean out Mom & Dad's rental working daily at it. They were definitely hoarders. But at least they were clean ones.

Patrick- My son had to show me last night how to attach a site to my home screen.

Guy- Interesting photos especially the p/u. I sent you a PM.

Dave- Interesting photos. My boat went to San Francisco for a Fleet Week (boat named after city) and a chapter of the WWII Subvets hosted the boat while in port. They were amazing men and truly part of the greatest generation.

The miners village is to the pictures left. The first wide area will be the coal trestle. The black is the trestle footprint.

View attachment 146946

This is the parking lot for the mine.

View attachment 146947

This is the start of the walking path to the next mine (BTS Mill Creek). Note the stairs for the workers.

View attachment 146948

I hope everyone has a good night,
Is the light gray finer material, the walking path, fine ballast using your glue technique?

Thanks, Dave

So I just got my cabinetry delivery. The basic oak veneer unfinished stuff from the big box store.

And, I added a 1/2 inch piece of ply, sanded one side. Since I don't have a truck, if I'm paying for delivery, might as well, right?

But I had to pay extra for special packaging. Figured it would come wrapped in cardboard and plastic wrap.

The delivery guys didn't have a knife, to separate it, so this is what I got:

Screenshot 2022-06-07 at 4.31.34 PM.png

I wonder if the boss will call back wanting to send them back to get the two sheets of OSB board?

Edit: I just went back to my invoice... packaging fee was almost as much as the plywood. I'm good on keeping the OSB board.

Last edited:
I see Klink and Schultz!
Ja, Klink,Schultz and someone who resembles Alan Alda. Very cool, Troy.
So I just got my cabinetry delivery. The basic oak veneer unfinished stuff from the big box store.

And, I added a 1/2 inch piece of ply, sanded one side. Since I don't have a truck, if I'm paying for delivery, might as well, right?

But I had to pay extra for special packaging. Figured it would come wrapped in cardboard and plastic wrap.

The delivery guys didn't have a knife, to separate it, so this is what I got:

View attachment 146952
I wonder if the boss will call back wanting to send them back to get the two sheets of OSB board?

Edit: I just went back to my invoice... packaging fee was almost as much as the plywood. I'm good on keeping the OSB board.
Considering the current retail price of OSB, I would definitely keep it

Good afternoon, all! We just returned from Wally-world. There is some items that are just plain cheaper at Wal-Mart, and a few things we can't find in other stores. Weather wise, 93 degrees with a feels like of 104.

Completed the yard office. Putting the windows in before assembling the 4 sides was a good call. Window trim the last thing works as well. THe handrail/banister is extremely fragile. I had to dig through the "bits and pieces' box for something I could use after breaking the provider set.
1654636942610.jpeg

1654636967432.jpeg

I couldn't place it where I originally planned as the stairs added to the width just enough to make it to wide.

D-Day - Like many here in the diner have stated, my Dad would not speak of his WWII experiences. He earned a Purple Heart, a Bronze Star for Valor so you know he saw things, did things. The event I am going to relate to you happened when I was about 18 months old, Dad would have been back approximately 2 1/2 to 3 years. In the middle of the night my mother had to really bite my father to wake him up. He was a top of her, both hands around her throat. He was having a nightmare. With her last gasp she bit. Fast forward maybe 30 years, we are talking about weird dreams and how real they can seem. The event just described was brought up. It seems my father was in a foxhole when a German soldier jumped in with a knife. A fight ensued, my father left the foxhole, the German soldier did not. Putting 2 and 2 together, I realized my father had choked the man to death with his bare hands. Dad would never confirm nor deny. My mother some years after Dad's passing confirmed that in fact he had killed the enemy with his bare hands.
Aside - I told my father I had volunteered to go to Vietnam, he said I would not have been his son if a hadn't. { Lord, I miss him)

STAY SAFE
LATER

Willie your tractors look exactly like I have seen them on the way to the Port of Baltimore for export.
Great work!

Good evening. 68° with light rain. Looks like some form of rain through Thursday Afternoon.
Nice to be home. Had a normal breakfast, then went to the Pharmacy to pickup a prescription, then we went to ShopRite for groceries.

Tomorrow, we need to pick up some beer, it is beer season at least through Labor Day. I can only drink beer when it's hot. Also need to pick up a 1.5 Liter of a high end Bourbon for medicinal purposes.

Estimated Taxes are due on the 15th of the month, and I have to renew the registration on the car. Also need to shop for a phone.

Thursday, I have tests (3) beginning at 0730 through 1100 and a doctor visit @ 1115 down in Cherry Hill NJ, at Penn Medicine. Battery of Vascular tests with emphasis on my legs. I will see where this leads...my right knee, both ankles my right shoulder and either one of the hips or the spine are causing distress. Worst part of this is the 50 mile drive each way from home.

Curt: Looks nice. You have put a lot of thought into the detail you are building into the mine and camp.

Hughie: Nice work. Thank you for sharing your thoughts on D-Day.

My first FIL hit the beach at Omaha in the first wave. If I remember correctly, he was a Combat Engineer. He did not share many recollections. My wife's father was a Tin Can Sailor, between WW2 and Korea. My Dad, was a Marine who served in a Corsair Squadron in the Philippines, which of course was halfway around the world from Europe. He was rather tight lipped.

Troy: Well they are not rose colored. Look great. Reminds me I better get up to Costco, and get mine. Another chore.

Tonight, I was running the CNJ yard crew, switched 4 sidings and made up outbound train. Then put road power against it, doubled to the hack, and shoved in the clear, and gave it over to the car department. It will run tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back