Running Bear's June 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning, it's partly cloudy and 60.
I was able to locate the two missing parts for the Micro Trains switch engine. Holy Crap! $25 shipped. For a horn and bell...
That price does include shipping, and all other body parts for the switcher, including handrails, truck sideframes, and detail parts. "Complete shell only". So I guess the price isn't that bad, though frustrating to have to essentially buy another shell to get them.

Got busy today and it took a while to find out I had a rock stuck between the blade and the mower deck. Kept getting smoke from the deck every time I engaged the blades.Kinda looked like letting the smoke out of a DCC chip.
Finally got the grass mowed and remembered to take a photo of the pulpwood car progress.
I looked up the RTR car I had to see how much difference there is. Judge for yourself!

I think I will see if if I can make it look better.with a little paint.

Mickey (?), The Pulpwood logs you cut are 100% more realistic than the cast plastic ones, because, of course, they are Real !

It's very hard to improve on mother nature. Just look at all the variation in the bark patterns as well as the variety of angles. It even appears that one log had several small branches growing from it. Fantastic !!

Last edited:
Good morning.....A cool 45 to start. Was nice last night for a fire and some beerverages. Another wonderful sunset in Cambria.
IMG_3396.jpg

Good morning, Y'all. it's a chilly 58° and sunny at the Jersey Shore. Today is the 244th Birthday, of the United States Army. Today is also Flag Day.

This morning's thought:
Shortly after the latest turbulence began, I started deleting or unsubscribing from anything that irritated me, angered me or offended me. Now I breeze through my daily e-mails, FB, internet blog sites, sports sites etc, and find I'm finished within minutes instead of hours. I also find myself with nothing to do...
On the other hand, I suddenly have time for all the chores and projects I deferred due to time constraints.

Second thought:
Don't dispose of those face masks yet, as the Corona Virus is making a resurgence, and we really haven't started to re-open the economy yet...Apparently, the greatest occurrences are in locations where the population is taking the fewest precautions.

I really have to bring myself up to speed concerning the changes to DCC decoders, since I last used them, I'm somewhat behind the curve, (as usual).

PC RS1 9915 at Newark, NJ 1975.jpg

Newark, NJ 1975

Good Morning All. Clear and 66° to get us started. Only reached 91° here yesterday. Not a lot going on around here right now. Picked a bunch more tomatoes from the garden and my first yellow squash and first bell pepper of the season yesterday. Trimmed up all of the onions and garlic that I picked about a week ago and moved them into storage. Finished cutting up and stacking the tree that my neighbor dropped off earlier in the week. Now I'm ready to return to my "back 40" and finish up a few more that I downed earlier this year.
Not sure whether I mentioned it or not, but we bought an air fryer about a month ago. Sure is a handy appliance. Definitely beats the heck out of the 25 year old toaster oven that we've been using. It still works but I don't have the will to throw it out because "it still works". Maybe by the next time that I go to the salvage (scrap) yard, I'll feel differently. The new air fryer heats up a lot of things like french fries and cheese sticks without heating up the whole kitchen with the oven.

Poached eggs and a pile of bacon for me this morning Flo.

Thanks for the likes and comments regarding yesterday's lengthy post; Jerome, Joe, Sherrel, Garry, Louis, Guy, Tom, Chet, Phil, Curt, Chad, Rick, Ken.

Between chores and trips into the pool yesterday, I did get some time in the train shed. Not much accomplished though despite all of the time there. I made a brick retaining wall for the plaza scene between the two restaurants, installed a sidewalk along the imaginary street and two planters with trees.
06-14-20 002.JPG

Now I just need to locate some appropriate outdoor furniture to go here.
No further progress pictures today, so here's another one for Sherrel.
06-14-20 013.JPG

I am going to take a few days off from layout projects as I feel burnout coming on. I haven't run any trains in about a week or so and my crew members are getting antsy. I am also desperately running out of figures to place on the current scenes and need to paint some more. I also need to repair my workbench chair before it falls apart with me on it. This burnout usually doesn't last long and I should resume the CUP (Charlottesville Urbanization Project) by Tuesday or Wednesday.

Garry - You have been quite punny lately! ;)
David - Great "turn of the century" hobo scene there.

We have a few commemorative days going on today. Of course it's National Flag Day, it's also the Army's Birthday and National Bourbon Day.
Everybody have a great day.

Hiya gang! Happy Sunday to one and all!
56° and partly sunny, looking for more clouds and 76° for today, with off and on showers for the next 4-5 days. At least we got the bulk of the flower beds mulched yesterday, (gotta get more) the lawn cut, and few trees trimmed. Then last night a few cold ones at the firepit was reward enough. Today we will have to get more mulch, but I plan to reassemble the Atlas GP38 that is on the workbench. It had a MRC sound decoder that sounded like crap. I cut away a portion of the rear weight to add a LOKsound speaker and it sounds much better. I am also changing the lighting to LED and for now, I'll keep it as a CSX unit. I am considering retiring one of my BB based MMID units and replacing it with the Atlas unit. I just don't know if it is worth the effort right now.
I received a shipment yesterday of Canon EN22 motors and Boo-Rim gearboxes for upgrading my brass steamers that need it. IMHO, that takes priority of some diseasel.

Y'got'ta love someone that comes onto a FB page with a new NCE PowerCab and asks instructions about wiring it to his layout, then later comes back again after deleting that thread and shows a video of the cab waving around with wires dangling about in the background and telling him he's got a short circuit. I made an answer on the first enquiry, asked him on the second to make a vid of how he connected it up. I'll give him that much chance.

Willie Ya gotta love the light bulbs that are too dim to RTFM (read the freakin manual) Also I see the Twisted Tea in the fridge.......had a few of them last night! Yes, I've got a beer fridge in the basement too.

QUOTE="Boris, post: 483606, member: 3857"]
I really have to bring myself up to speed concerning the changes to DCC decoders, since I last used them, I'm somewhat behind the curve, (as usual).
[/QUOTE]

I find Decoder Pro to be indispensable in "keeping up" to whats what in decoderland. If you don't have it, get it. It takes all the mystery out of programming, especially if you want to reconfigure lighting effects, speed matching or function mapping. Best part of all, you don't need to remember no stinkin CV numbers!

"Time to clean the catbox" SWMBO says. Why can't he go outside like the dog??

L8ter

Yes, on the side at the top of the rear GG-1, you can see the shadow rises to a peak to match the support wire as it does the same up to the insulator, opposite.

Yes, and you can make out the same line across the trailing orange boxcar.

You ain't seen the train shed until you see the beer fridge!
View attachment 114329

My feelings are crushed! WHAT? Were you afraid I would empty it when I was there?
Next time I come through there - You better show me the beer fridge!

Second thought: Don't dispose of those face masks yet, as the Corona Virus is making a resurgence, and we really haven't started to re-open the economy yet...Apparently, the greatest occurrences are in locations where the population is taking the fewest precautions.

I guess that I am not a nice person after all ... I keep hoping all the rioters and looters will all succumb to it!

It was a beautiful day here yesterday with a high 0f 80 and lots of sunshine ... more of the same today with an expected 83 degrees.
Just a quick cup this morning, FLO - gotta run (if I still can).

Good morning, everybody .... Happy Birthday to the US Army.

Willie .... The plaza scene is a good idea, and it looks good. ....... You have me concerned about Sherrel, however. :confused:

Sherrel ....... Uh, oh! ...... If 1/87 ladies give you thrill, I wonder about you. (Edit. Took out the joke. Apparently it was insulting.) ... Nice photo of the GP7.

Karl ..... .... and then there was the cat who complained to the dog that used the cat liter box. The dog identified as a cat.....

Joe ... Smart idea to block offensive emails, etc. ... It seems to me I am told if I say nothing I am part of them problem. Meanwhile, I am told if I say something, I am part of the problem. Crazy times.

Happy Model Railroading

Last edited:
Joe ... Smart idea to block offensive emails, etc. ... It seems to me I am told if I say nothing I am part of them problem. Meanwhile, I am told if I say something, I am part of the problem. Crazy times.

Garry: Good point. Experience has taught me that when we meet half way, we find solutions. But today, it appears every issue has it's share of "My Way or the Highway" types from both extremes, that do not want compromise or anything but their memorized agenda.
There is no gain beating your head against the wall trying to reason with someone committed to forcing their will on everyone.
Once had a prof, who had all the solutions, and would go to extreme measures to force his belief upon the class. The only solution was to cave in, or to drop the class and avoid the SOB. Intolerance, isn't new or limited to any one group.

Speaking of one's beating their head against the wall, I was down in the trainroom, staring at my incomplete module, trying to figure out what was wrong with it....o_O:oops: Then, it occurred to me that I had failed to allow space for the Interlocking Tower. This is where the Shared Asset portion of the railroad ends, and the railroad divides between the Reading Line, the passenger terminal lead, and the Pennsylvania line, so the location of the tower and signal bridge is critical. The only solution is to assemble the tower, and check clearances. If I don't, it will surely blow up in my face...

I find Decoder Pro to be indispensable in "keeping up" to whats what in decoderland. If you don't have it, get it. It takes all the mystery out of programming, especially if you want to reconfigure lighting effects, speed matching or function mapping. Best part of all, you don't need to remember no stinkin CV numbers!

Karl: Thanks, great idea. I think I have it installed on the computer that will interface with the layout, might be a good idea to connect it. Another good idea, might be to install a program track...:eek:

Time to take another ride on the Reading...the "Dutch" local, switching industries at Quakertown, on the North Penn (Bethlehem) Branch in 1967.
On Conrail, the former Reading people, were generally referred to as the "Wooden Shoe" due to their PA Dutch heritage.... Guess today, this would be considered inappropriate, but that was then.
The Dutch Switcher at Quakertown. 1967.jpg

PRR W120 120 Ton derrick.jpg

Ex PRR 120TN Wreck Derrick at Strasburg RR, in PA. I have the Tichy model to build when I get around to it. There was one at South Philly, and another at Washington Terminal. Most Eastern region derricks were 150TN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back