Running Bear's January 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my kind of gratitude!
1641329022602.png

The 2021 Trafalgar Square Christmas tree.
That is a beautiful tree, but the Rockefeller Square Christmas tree is the best! This years tree was from Elkton, Maryland.
1641329193219.png

Afternoon All,

Got started on the REA Tichy window frames today. I started out by spraying them with Rustoleum kahki to simulate wood, then sponged on the red color (Tamiya flat red with flat black added to it) and then applied 2 coats of A&I. I also sorted the different sizes of stick wood. I plan on applying A&I to those tomorrow and work on the metal castings. There's a lot of fiber doors which I'll do as I come to them. I don't want to work on the walls until after the layout electrical work on Friday so I can spread out.

Willie- HAPPY BIRTHDAY.

Mikey- It looks like a quality layout.

Christian- Welcome back.

Karl- I just noticed that you have Red-Green as a avatar. 👍

Jaz- My eyes are burning. Thanks for a image burned into my brain.:rolleyes:

Troy- I hope all works out with your MIL. When I first saw your shields I thought they were used Dremel sanding discs...oops. LOL.

Chad- Are you planning on building the entire house or just different parts of it?

James- Thank you for the info. I don't have decoder pro so I have to do some investigating. I never knew this was possible.

Tom- Really nice loads.

Hughie- Wanda's continues to look good. Nice scene.

Dave- Interesting point of view in your photo.

Guy- I use the thin "For Sale" styrene signs for mine. After cutting out I spray paint them.

View attachment 138127

View attachment 138128

The basic two colors
View attachment 138129

I hope everyone has a good night.

Decoder Pro is free! Download from the JMRI website here: https://www.jmri.org/

If you need an interface card/device/programmers you can get all kinds for real reasonable prices... (I have a PR3 as mentioned. They go for about 50 bucks the new PR4s are range from 70 to 80 bucks which is a better. Both work well with Windows 10 and can work on Apple as well)

Good afternoon,

Not sure I am able to keep up with the Coffee Shop, lots going on.

It has been so cold for a few days that single digits above sounds warm!

Here is a shot from my Groningen Depot module. This will be installed in the new layout as well, I started a thread with it if you didn't know. "Dave's Layout V 4.0". I was working in the snow yesterday, a couple shots of the completed table top there, clean and dust abating!!

IMG_1340.JPG

Have a good evening!!

Dave

Bachmann are producing really nice Loco's, or are they?
Thoughts anyone?

Thoughts anyone?

They seem to be hit or miss for me. I've had 3 experience motor failures (1 F7b and 1 GP35 and a 2-8-0), I've got 3 2-8-0s and 3 decapods that run great. I bought 1 of the sound equipped Alco S2s and it runs great, but is not the strongest puller compared to my Atlas S2s. They have progressed by leaps and bounds from the trainset locos and for the money they seem worth it.

Good afternoon all! Weather holding good. This glass of scotch, also good.

Terry - Yes, I knew Kato had a ballast for their track, but it still requires you to glue it, and that is what I was trying to avoid.
Dave -Your Groningen Depot looks really good.
Louis & TomO - This certainly seems like a really close group of folks, at least the regulars in the diner. I believe everyone knows that nothing typed here is meant to hurt, but merely get a smile.
Smudge - I have 5 Bachmann RS-3's. They all are DCC ,but run quite differently.
Dave in PV - Red Green is one of my favorites. I used to sit up late to watch him on PBS years ago.

To everyone else = Thanks for the likes. I have always considered myself a middle of the pack modeler. Not a beginner, but far from an expert.

Started the tedious part of Wanda's. The window frames and the railings. You must cut and glue each individual piece of railing. I think tomorrow I'll still be doing railings.
1641336628649.jpeg

Later

Louis: Not for nothing what do you mean by too seriously?

Terry: good definition of ex-pert :rolleyes:

We ventured out to the Ak-a-me for some groceries. Second week in a row, the store is relatively poorly stocked. I suspect, that the store begins re-stocking on Wednesday, for the new sale circular on Friday. Business was brisk with 3 checkouts and the automated checkouts all busy.

We are under a broad Winter Weather Advisory, effective 0400 - 1200, that covers a very widespread area, predicting freezing rain, in the morning. Our local forecast narrows the possibility to between 0700 and 0800, so there is a major disparity in the forecast right there. Granted, there is a margin for error, in weather forecasting, but within the same forecast? No wonder folks ignore weather forecasts, and are skeptical of other gov'mt pronouncements....:rolleyes:

I agree with Karl, Bachmann engines are much improved over what they were in the 70s, but are generally hit or miss when it comes to performance. My RF16s are fine, the GP9s run fine separately, but are very quirky when run in a consist. The RS3s are good, the GP7 ok, the 44 Ton and "doodlebug" not good.

Today, was another day that I did not go down to the trainroom. It occurred to me that it may be that we are discussing sale of the house, and that subconsciously, I don't want to put in any effort into something that will probably end up in the dumpster. I'm already checking out room sized plans... Meanwhile, The latest, (January), RMC features a mid-western Branchline point to point that has a smaller footprint, than what I have been working on, with fewer activities. The February MR, features another visit to the Severna Park Club Layout in MD. Since I'm always looking at better ways of doing things, I find these articles helpful.

Later

Good evening Shop Dwellers! Didn't have time to post a reply yesterday due to some family drama [which I'll describe later on]. Looks like a lot has been happening here the past two days.

Willie - HAPPY BIRTHDAY! 🎂🥂🍾

Christian - glad you're back!

Thoughts anyone?

I had a few of their Spectrum-series switchers when they first came out, and wasn't very impressed with their performance. Their later GP9 models were a big improvement in that they ran much better, but the shells still needed a lot of aftermarket details (grab irons, etc.) added to them to make them blend in with my P2K and Genesis geeps. Here is a GP7 that came factory-equipped with a stripped-down Tsunami decoder, for which I paid just slightly over $100 USD at MB Klein's. I added grab irons and installed Cannon & Co. fans (plus a "dash" of weathering) to make it presentable:

BnO_6406_Outdoors_LongHoodFwd.jpg

Now for a Covid update: My wife has pretty much recovered from her affliction, as have my 31- and 26-yr old daughters and myself. But my 23yr-old daughter in New York had a later onset of symptoms. She went back to NYC on Sunday feeling normal, but when she woke up Monday morning she felt weak and nauseated; did a rapid covid self-test and found she was positive. We asked her if she was taking the "Covid Cocktail" vitamins (Zinc, Magnesium, Vitamin D3, Vitamin C, Aspirin) and she said she didn't have any...WTF?! So here she was by herself having to isolate in her studio apartment, with no vitamins or medicines and very little food. We spent 90 minutes scrambling to find some way to get the Covid vitamins delivered to her ASAP, using my wife's credit cards to pay for it, but the vendors there all thought we were scammers [since we weren't local to NYC] so they never approved our attempted transactions. Finally a local friend of hers, with an InstaCart account, was able to arrange a same-evening delivery of the vitamins for her along with some food that she wouldn't vomit back up.

She was feeling slightly better today, but still having trouble keeping her food down. So my wife was able to get a her long-distance prescription for Zofran at her nearby CVS on my health insurance, although the earliest they can deliver it to her is Wednesday at 1pm.

Not exactly the kind of excitement I want in my life...

Good Night - and have a Pleasant Tomorrow!

Covid Cocktail" vitamins (Zinc, Magnesium, Vitamin D3, Vitamin C, Aspirin)
Also add Quercetin. It acts like a simple zinc ionophore. That means it helps facilitate the passage of the zinc through the cell membranes. Zinc normally doesn't pass into cells very well. (You can Google all this). In actual clinical treatment this is the function played by Hydrocloroquine (or however you spell it).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back