Running Bear's January 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok I get it. The grill allows air circulation completely around my painted items. Rarely used as I am not sure it really works.

Yes, that is one of my 2 turntables. They were a 2-1 sale item a few years ago. Both turntables are extensively used, especially when weathering. I have been weathering many pieces of rolling stock the last 5 weeks

TomO
Sorry, my humour is a little weird at best. Apologies🙂

Locally if you go to a county sponsored testing/vaccine site it's free of charge. I believe there are 4 sites set up.
Free testing is pretty much everywhere, locally, at the Community College. Walmart, Walgreens, and CVS all offer "free" testing and vaccine...but, (key word, here), but perception is reality, and the "Emergency Room" is the place to go. My personal opinion is that if you are not sick, you don't need to be tested, unless directly exposed to someone diagnosed with the lurgy. If you have symptoms, by all means get a test. It would cut down on the lines and confusion...

Curt, I'm getting there, slowly, while sort of planning the next one for a different house...I'm trying to spend more time in the train room, and less on the computer. Maybe if I apply myself, I could have results like your progress on the REA building.

271803780_1558778894489252_2163529240784969454_n.jpg

Well, howdy there internet peeps, those who like TLOCs toaster

It's Troy again.

Interestingly, all symptoms but two have subsided. I still feel a bit of chest congestion. Higher than my normal asthma issues. But, no cough developed. No sore throat. No runny nose other than last night.

One other weird symptom. Ginger ale tastes very weird to me. - EDIT: I finally figured it out. Despite brushing my teeth last night, I was still getting a taste of the popcorn and butter flavored salt I add to it this morning at 4 am -ish. Add in the dissolvable zinc tabs (zycam) and that was a deadly combo just waiting to sour the ginger ale. I saved one of the cans from last night, with about 3/4s of it left. I'll give it a taste in a bit.

I just brushed the toofers again, and gave the soft tissues, roof of the mouth, back of the tongue, inside of cheeks, some extra attention. Then a liberal dose of mouthwash.

This afternoon, post-nap time, I got on the treadmill for 30 minutes with a podcast on the headphones. Got the heart rate up to 120 bpm and got in about 4k steps. No breathing issues.

I do have a bit of a dull headache. Not much. Just enough to notice, but not enough that I want to go take an advil.

I'll see how tomorrow goes. Isolating just in case. But, I expect that whatever I had/have is going to be mild. It's the chest congestion and weird taste issue that is bugging me.

Only seven more chapters to edit. My eyes were starting to cross, even with a nap in the middle of what I did today.

I did go through my stack of "Have I read these MRR and MRC magazines." Yep. I had read them. One of them reminded me I want to change over to L-girder on the section I'm about to rebuild.

And, I put those magazines in the sorter boxes, and took photos of the latest issue of MRC and NScale mags, so I know which ones to NOT buy again at the LHS. I usually purchase those from the local gent just to invest some hobby dollars locally when I don't have anything else to purchase that month.

Last edited:
Well, howdy there internet peeps, those who like TLOCs toaster

It's Troy again.

Interestingly, all symptoms but two have subsided. I still feel a bit of chest congestion. Higher than my normal asthma issues. But, no cough developed. No sore throat. No runny nose other than last night.

One other weird symptom. Ginger ale tastes very weird to me. It starts normal, but has an almost sewage finish. More on the odor side of tasting, than the taste bud side. I swished water through my mouth. Then tried a can of ginger ale from a different 12 pack and checked that the lot number on it was different than the can I was drinking from.

Still got that weird finish/taste from the second can.

This afternoon, post nap time, I got on the treadmill for 30 minutes with a podcast on the headphones. Got the heart rate up to 120 bpm and got in about 4k steps. No breathing issues.

I do have a bit of a dull headache. Not much. Just enough to notice, but not enough that I want to go take an advil.

I'll see how tomorrow goes. Isolating just in case. But, I expect that whatever I had/have is going to be mild. It's the chest congestion and weird taste issue that is bugging me.

Only seven more chapters to edit. My eyes were starting to cross, even with a nap in the middle of what I did today.

I did go through my stack of "Have I read these MRR and MRC magazines." Yep. I had read them. One of them reminded me I want to change over to L-girder on the section I'm about to rebuild.

And, I put those magazines in the sorter boxes, and took photos of the latest issue of MRC and NScale mags, so I know which ones to NOT buy again at the LHS. I usually purchase those from the local gent just to invest some hobby dollars locally when I don't have anything else to purchase that month.
Toaster lover TLOC here. Counting carbs this week so not much need for the toaster. In the olden days I would have used that rack to hold the brass locomotives with paint drying and hardening in a 150 degree oven for 2 hours.

L girder. I switched over to box frame construction on the current layout. After using the L girder method on 2 big layouts I no longer believe it’s a less Expensive method of building. Especially on in my case a shelf layout.

My Taste buds are shot! I drink one Diet Dr Pepper in the morning. The last few weeks that and A&W sugar free Root Beer taste funny to me. I can drink water but it has to be chilled to almost frozen.

TomO

Enough and no more.
I finally threw in the towel this evening on installing sound systems in a friend's RS2 locos. Every single one of them has taken days and weeks to figure out how to squeeze all the components under the very small hood. Squeezing LEDs and resistors were it won't melt the shell. He keeps bringing a box full each time he visits. It really bungs up my efforts to keep up with my own projects as these sit for weeks or months at a time and I just don't have the desire to spend 4 or 5 hours at a time accomplishing nothing. I can't get to my own projects as his are bugging me to finish them. He's an older guy, in his 80s and just can't do this stuff himself. I spend hours on the phone with him when he's at home trying to figure out JMRI functions then it turns out it 's his laptop that's causing the problem. I've known him for some 40 years or so now.
I told him today I just can't do this anymore. I'm not accomplishing much with these things and it's really getting me bogged down.

Enough and no more.
I finally threw in the towel this evening on installing sound systems in a friend's RS2 locos. Every single one of them has taken days and weeks to figure out how to squeeze all the components under the very small hood. Squeezing LEDs and resistors were it won't melt the shell. He keeps bringing a box full each time he visits. It really bungs up my efforts to keep up with my own projects as these sit for weeks or months at a time and I just don't have the desire to spend 4 or 5 hours at a time accomplishing nothing. I can't get to my own projects as his are bugging me to finish them. He's an older guy, in his 80s and just can't do this stuff himself. I spend hours on the phone with him when he's at home trying to figure out JMRI functions then it turns out it 's his laptop that's causing the problem. I've known him for some 40 years or so now.
I told him today I just can't do this anymore. I'm not accomplishing much with these things and it's really getting me bogged down.
Understandable on your part. I no longer volunteer to help the daughter’s old neighborhood with the slot tracks I built for them. Basically I took 4 dads and 2 moms to my old slot track and explained the main issues they were having was good from lack of maintenance. 2 doctors, CEO and the others managers of some type. Hardly knew how to plug the systems in. They know now but occasionally when kids are racing on the grandkids track I do little fixes for the kids.

TomO

Hi global modelers of trains, armies of LP’s and whoever is lurking around.

My goal today was to spend an hour this morning in what the daughter says is the hobby room. Mainly testing track and a newly installed DCC decoder. I must have run 21’ of track 100 times today. I now have no ballast in the rail web, no ballast on the ties and a headache still 12 hours later of a diesel horn and bells ringing.

Just back inside from a quick 15 minutes, yes, I set a timer, outside. It’s cold but at +2f degrees of wind chill is the warmest it has felt
AE8AF663-102E-4EF8-A041-3B1088D48C0E.png
since midnight Thursday. The wind is basically gone at 3 mph. It has been in the teens for wind speed since early Thursday. So it felt great. No snow received today but we are on an edge for tomorrow.

Heading back to the trainroom as the Buffalo/patriot game is a blow out. Even doing nothing in there is relaxing for me.
TomO

this guy now has working ditch lights again. Tomorrow he gets programmed for the ProtoThrottle, an all day event for me. Also, much sailor language will be used
10946CDD-8084-4D6B-B069-97DAE4702A51.jpeg

Isn't Monday a paid holiday for you??? MLK Day even here in Texas.
Unfortunately no......I still have to work on this holiday. Although I can take the day off but I prefer to work. Working from home won't be bad if that happens. My company give me 5 weeks a year and of the 11 holidays I get 9 of them with 2 plus days around Christmas and Thanksgiving. I can't complain. Now my employees and some of my colleagues will be off but not an issue for me I like working in my office with peace and quiet. So either way home or in the office I will be able to get quite bit done.

George: James' forecast sounds like something I would expect in Jefferson County, around Watertown, but not the Metropolitan Area. Here in Central Jersey we are flat out getting rained upon, with the usual potential for coastal flooding at high tide.

Finished the lubrication and gear inspection on the S-2. Runs real nice now. When I get the new decoder installed tomorrow, it will even have a rear cab led headlight. All that remains is painting the cab, applying numeric decals, weathering the hood, replacing the couplers with kadee #58s and putting it all back together.

View attachment 138793
Not the best capture, but it was moving at slow speed, and very quietly.

I dont live in the city......I am in upstate NY in Washington County on the east side of the Hudson River and the Champlain canal. I live between Fort Edward and Argyle all farm country.

Enough and no more.

That's tough to deal with. I have stopped volunteering things like that long ago. I imagine though if I was to do it for money that would be a different story but then again no fun in that either. I hope you are able to explain it to him and he understands. Good luck. Time.... as we get older is a commodity that become priceless as I am learning. I am always rearranging my priorities constantly for life adjustments. Be you and be happy.

My forecast has change in the last 24 hours yes! So less snow.......I will take it!

1642311011636.png

Looks like on the radar per accuweather it's going to stay south of me! I am glad for that!

I was dreading that system coming this way....

Whew!

Last edited:
Enough and no more.

I understand your friend maybe not able to convert them all himself, and to occasionally ask for help, which I'm sure you don't mind, but even at 80 there are some he should be able to do without your help, if he's turning up with box full of them he's been in this hobby a long time, how many Loco's does he have, sounds like a shed full, and none of us can run every loco we have all the time, I can understand one or two which he is having difficulty with, but a box full? I'm sure he is a lovely fella, but sounds like he is taking advantage of not only your friendship but also your good nature.

Good morning friends! Bring the black coffee Flo and don't stop till I tell ya. A frosty 19 degrees here in southern Illinois on the way to 36, sunny and windy. I've had to give up eating lunch in my truck at the park as it's really too cold to do it right now. I always look so forward to getting out of the store for an hour and maybe watching the occasional train while I eat, but I don't want to sit and burn high dollar gasoline to keep warm just to do it.

Yesterday was my first day back to work after 7 days off. Can't say I was looking forward to going back (I wasn't) but honestly it went pretty well despite the being understaffed as usual. Hoping for another good day today. One positive thing that happened was I was walking my aisles yesterday and noticed a 52 inch ceiling fan had been put on clearance at $2.64. We didn't need the fan, but at under $3 I couldn't pass up buying it. Some of the clearance prices we've had lately are crazy low and I have to take advantage when I get the chance.

Nothing much else going on. Hope you all have a great day!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back