Running Bear's January 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Morning! Coffee n toast otta do it, for now.
A bright, sunny day will be upon us here in the west, as soon as it can get to be daylight. -5°F at the moment. Supposed to warm up by 25 degrees come the afternoon.
It's probably a nice Saturday to go down to the tracks and photograph trains. I'm still working on the door move project, though, so the trains will have to wait for another nice day.

Don't have to much to talk about today, so I'm just going to thank you for yesterday's likes and comments, and leave you all another photo of a train crossing the local rail bridge. Notice all the deadfall and driftwood caught up on that center pier. Something to keep in mind for flowing water scenes on the layout:
McLeodBridge_11-05-2020.jpg

Have a good one!

Good Morning All. Cloudy and 56° with vigorous south winds this morning. Some raindrops hit the porch a few minutes ago, but that doesn't look like it's going to last. Warmer now than at 8:00 last night, headed up to possibly 70° later today. Current long range forecast shows moderate temperatures for a week, then into the 20's and possible snow next weekend. Maybe I'll hold off the onion planting until after that.
I almost feel that I am missing out on something with all of the Facebook chatter going on here, same with EBay in another thread. I don't participate in or use either of them, or Twitter either, so I cannot comment. I am still pissed that one of my kids posted my name and address on MySpace many years ago...none of them will admit that it was them. Not that it matters anymore as everything that we all do is out there now!

How about a couple more of those delicious southwest style breakfast burritos this morning Francine. A bowl full of spicy salsa and the usual tall glass of OJ to go with it.

Thanks for the likes and comments regarding my upcoming mini-project; Guy, Karl, Tom O, Gary, Garry, Justin, Hughie, Rick, Chet, Curt, Tom, Troy, Sherrel.

Managed to get some time in the train shed yesterday for project work. I know that some of you guys have posted that you like to set up a train for continuous running while you work on stuff, Greg comes immediately to mind. I tried this again yesterday with a twenty car mixed freight and found that it just doesn't do anything for me. I found myself continually distracted wondering where it was and if there were any derailments. There were none. However it was satisfying to look up whenever it passed by over the workbench, but that was at ten minute intervals and in the intervening time I was distracted.
Meanwhile, I added the intended details to the Antique Store along with six customers and a doggie.
IMG_5601.JPG

IMG_5602.JPG

Some crates on the loading/unloading dock.
IMG_5603.JPG

IMG_5607.JPG

I also added some trees along the backdrop to add to those that are already painted there.
IMG_5606.JPG

I still intend to work on improving the power lines next, and I need another vehicle or two.

Karl -
oh do tell, where did you get those milk cans??
I got them from here.
IMG_5600.JPG

First, I mistakenly said that they were white metal castings, but they are actually plastic. They were included with the Walther's Brook Hill Farm Dairy kit. I used the kit as a cold storage industry so the milk cans became details for use elsewhere. Only needed six for this scene so I have six more left.
Jim - Welcome to the diner. Flo needs the extra tips. Don't overlook her fellow server Francine, wave to Mel in the kitchen and he'll occasionally send out some extra bacon.
Joe - I am appalled at what I read and hear from other parts of the country regarding the Covid vaccine rollout. Of course no news source is reporting on states with few or no problems. It seems that some of the guys in the diner, like myself, have had no issues; but others are confused because their states aren't supplying enough information. I wonder which state the NYT was referring to? The county that I was inoculated in, received 8,000 doses of Moderna vaccine on Monday and used all of them on Wednesday. They supposedly got some Pfizer vaccine as well, but I do not know the disposition of it. There was an additional mass clinic Friday and they may have used them there. I think that the state overall got 322,000 total vaccines last week, mostly for first round. Vaccinations have been ongoing since early December and most of the 1A group have received their second dose already.
Hughie - Great story from your youth.

My comment regarding the stock market yesterday was not related in any way to the tomfoolery going on there with the Robinhooders and the hedge funds. I did not get caught up in that mess because I am not a speculator. I understand what they are doing and kudos to the little guys who might be making money. I dislike the whole concept of short-selling, but there is nothing illegal about it. Just to me, selling and buying something that you never own is not right.

Everybody have a great day and an awesome weekend. Stay safe.

Last edited:
Morning from soggy Southern California! WE actually gained just shy of an inch from the latest squall line to pass by.
That brings us to within 3 1/2 inches of normal, and we are grateful. The hardest thing for me to understand is how it can "rain" all day and only muster up ONE inch?
HI, Francine -- It's another 38 degrees to start with on the way to a 52 high - with mostly sunny it's said!
I'll have a CFS with eggs up and hash browns - a glass of OJ and sourdough toast ... that should hold off the hungries!

Willie - Why is so much of your post has a strike line ?? P>S> I like the milk cans, nice touch - make a great umbrella stand which we don't have much use for around here - LOL.

Left my list of comments downstairs - so be it. Later guys.

OH - Almost forgot to mention. I met the other three board members and we placed permanent posts where the surveyor had placed wooden stakes ... and we were excited to learn that we actually have approx 6 additional acres (guessing) than we thought. There is 2-3 acres where we were all in agreement that we might pursue an RV/BOAT parking lot. Three of us have an RV and the other member - a boat. May just be a good thing to be on the board.

Good morning from So. Central Wisconsin. The temperature should hit 32 before the great white gifts from above come falling around 3pm. Local weather info on the IPad say it doesn’t stop until 6pm Sunday. Lots of depth coming.

Vaccines, the Wisconsin Governor was asked yesterday if we should buy the vaccines direct, says that does won’t help at this time. He is afraid we won’t really be getting enough until March. I know for a fact, a large Medical Instituion has given the vaccine to their heavy contributing donors and their families. So many things have been gone to heavy donors the last 6 months.

This is the bridge complex for my aisle lift out that represents Lake DuBay. I literally have gone under that bridge on the right a thousand times over the years. Now it’s time to start duplicating it in compressed form. Enjoy your day.

picture is credited to Bruce Odenfelden off his website he took this in 2019

736287D7-F7D8-427C-9B3C-3CB35EBBC237.jpeg

Last edited:
Good morning ...

Guy .... The CN bridge has an interesting design.

Tom in WI ... Looks like high water under that bridge.

Willie .... The Antique shop is getting better and better. The details look perfect for it.

I was running trains last evening. Two GN passenger trains. Two Burlington passenger trains. Only one freight train which had CB&Q SD24's.

Everybody : ..... Have a good day !

Good Morning all! Already 71 degrees. Debating whether to mow the weeds or wait another week. I just hate to get the mowing started.
I didn't get any train time yesterday. Thursday I had placed freight cars at all the industries on the layout and then updated the Excel Switch List with hopes of trying out the Switch list. Maybe today.

STAY SAFE
LATER

Garry, that water is normal. The far right bridge is where the boats have about 7’ of clearance in deep 28’ water and if u have a canopy it won’t fit. I lived from 80 to 2014 up stream to the right. That bridge is for the CN on its Valley Subdivision.

The water on Lake DuBay in Central Wisconsin is actually a flowage of the Wisconsin River and an enjoyable place on a hot summer weekday. The dam is about 5 miles downstream from these bridges. Too crowded on weekends for me. It was fun living there when it was summer as it gave lots to do or do nothing at all on the water, dock or shoreline in the back yard. Don’t really miss the area.

TomO

Ok well at a glance I noticed two things. One it has flags on the front which I havent seen on any other geep. Two the box on top of the short nose as well. Now guessing here I'd say it is there for the Hot Springs train which had passenger cars in the mix. Now I havent been able to find any info on the box. So perhaps you can shed some light on it as my curiosity is getting the better of me here.
Ok Justin, here it is <drumroll.....>

CnO_GeepWithoutBell.jpg

I always knew they existed, but I've rarely ever seen a C&O Geep without its bell mounted directly over the front headlight. I don't know if all of the passenger-service equipped GP7's on this particular order were delivered without bells, or if it was random. Seems like maybe a Tom Dixon question...[?]

Ok Justin, here it is <drumroll.....>

View attachment 124010

I always knew they existed, but I've rarely ever seen a C&O Geep without its bell mounted directly over the front headlight. I don't know if all of the passenger-service equipped GP7's on this particular order were delivered without bells, or if it was random. Seems like maybe a Tom Dixon question...[?]
Jejdjdjdhshehruf in rnrJFK didnsusn! Ofcourse the bell! Completely overlooked that! Maybe I've gotten used to mine not having it.

Damn, Ken:
I forgot all about those...they never showed? I was considering one or two for myself, then I shifted focus... Did you get your prepayment back?

Tom O: Sure does, along with a few other "populist" brokerages. Not for nothing, I enjoyed hearing the hedge fund guys whine, for once. But it is time for our populist investors to cash out and await their next real opportunity. This did show the inequity of the financial markets, and the disparity between "smart money" and "dumb money". Sidebar, soe of the private capital stalwarts have bet on sports gambling, the next, greatest way of parting the average guy, from his paycheck. Follow the money...!!

Boris, everything you wrote I so agree with. Talked to the little boy this morning. I asked what is next. He claims he took out on Friday double his money. The rest he is looking at AMC and I said that’s played out already. He said no it’s the next target hedge funds are shorting again. Oh to be young, no family to worry about, naw forget that. I’d have been broke already.

Other then my trains Terry watches carefully what I spend which since Covid has been easy, not much.

Now that Draftkings is paying the leagues part of the take sports gambling will be sky rocketing.

TomO

Afternoon All,

Spent the day doing a bunch of small jobs around the house and out of the house. Found out my youngest grandson got kicked off the school bus again for misbehaving again, so guess who gets to take him to school and pick him up next week? Any guesses? :( No modeling today.

Thanks for the photo likes yesterday.

Dave LASM- Great looking log cars.

Hughie- Nice Pan Am photo. I model the PRR. I live in FL, was raised in West TX and have never lived where the PRR operated.

Joe- Nice photos. It looks like an Old Reading loco in the second photo.

Jesse- Yes, MRR'ing takes on a life of it's own.

Patrick- Be careful, None of use are getting any younger.

Guy- Nice bridge photo.

Willie- Great detailing.

TomO- Neat looking bridge. I look forward to seeing you model it.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back