Running Bear's January 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
I emailed a friend of mine in Canada complaining about the US Taxes on the horse bets I placed and he said there is no taxes on horse bets in Canada.
Although he did say he was in Buffalo, NY once and won $2,000.00 on a horse bet and the US made him pay taxes on the wager.
I'm sure if they saw all the building on my layout they would want me to pay a scaled down tax on them.
George

Welp. Howdy there folks.

Good news, I finished the draft on another book! Words have all been worded. Now I have to clean them up. It's tradition to post a photo of your "the end" on screen, with a book cover still, and your beverage of choice. I wasn't ready for an adult beverage, so I went for my writing reward of licorice. Even though I live in the midwest, where the brand of choice is "Twizzlers", I had to go for Red Vines, because the book is set in California. Red vines are all the rage out there.... Even though the company that owns the brand is in LaPorte Indiana, right up the road from where I live. (Well, between Notre Dame and Chicago. I'm east of both of those).

IMG_3104.jpg

Those of you getting or in queue to get the vaccine, I do envy you. Indiana is only down to 70+ year olds. I've got two more groups before they include us mid 50s folks.

When it comes to winter weather... well I live right at the north tip of the big yellow 8 in the 5 to 8 inches... Good thing we're in a condo and someone else clears the snow. Bad thing is that MIL goes to get her second C-19 vaccination tomorrow. Wife and her sister were going to drive a county south to drive MIL in to get it. Not even sure if the clinic will be staffed for it. But, use them or lose them, so we'll see.

Screen Shot 2021-01-30 at 4.45.54 PM.png

Back to editing the words. Wording the words is just stage 1. Need to get them prettied up for their big date with the editor.

This was totally unexpected. This may take me back to modeling the WC, especially if the WC sd45’s come out. 2 of those museum pieces as Christmas 2021 presents to myself. I have to seriously think on this.

TomO

$350 price tag. I can personally vouch for ScaleTrains locomotives, as I have four of their SD40-2's, and their other locos are very popular in my club. I wish they were the (slightly) cheaper Rivet Counters just so I could justify buying more.

I know one was wrecked with MILW, so did WC end up getting all 9 units, or were half of them sold to Fepasa then? I don't remember.

I agree Willie it is a surprising prototype. All the guys asking for one on the ST website over the years now have to put up or shut up. I love all the ST stuff I have owned. I did have a couple of the 1st run Turbines, they were gorgeous and ran like a watch. But even with 30” curves they didn’t look right and I dont belong to a club. They were very easy to sell.

They had great success with the 2 runs of the Museum turbines and I image they will here, especially since the top price is only 350 verus the 700 the turbines 1st were and from a then brand new company.

I do wish they had come out with more Kit Classics.

weather in So. Central Wisconsin, it started the big snow at around 5:30 and easily have 1” already. The app said it won’t ever be heavy, just a continuous fall till 6 tomorrow.

TomO

Last edited:
Forgot all about the virtual Amherst show today. Don't matter, I pretty much have maxed out my fleet. Finally got all the new modules wired, and other than filthy track, everything runs well.

Next phase is to work on a few structures, and to apply scenery to the adjacent module. Have to make a quick run for some bread and sammich meats, before the snow gets here. Looks like Sunday in the train room.

All nine went first to Soo, then to WC, and finally to Fepasa. EMD SDL39
Interesting that ScaleTrains chose to manufacture a model of something with only ten prototypes. OK, 37 if one counts subsequent owners.

Versus a $900 gas turbine from a class of 55 and owned by only one railroad? The SDL39's will sell, especially to folks like me. Wisconsin Central also seems to be going strong, too.

Now I just need ScaleTrains to make my SD45's. I have two P2K SD45's which are absolute brutes, but I'd sell them to make room for ST's.

IMG_20200628_003106149~2.jpg

Well fellers I figured I should stop in real quick. I am so frustrated with myself. I had done the math on how much plaster cloth I would need. Well I was give or take 30" too short. So close yet so far away. Now the 30" isnt by width but by height. Width wise I'd say a foot? It's really close. Anyways I hit a stopping point and decided to take a break. My back has been strained enough for one day. Recieved a new asset for the layout. A C&O 40' boxcar. The mine supplies car. This one though has actual spring trucks on it. Which is new to me as I've never had one like that. So its interesting all on it's own. And my son decided today was the day to do some scenery work on the layout as well. That's about all I have for now. I'll share some layout updates later before I go to bed.
20210129_204655.jpg

20210130_213755.jpg

Happy Saturday, Shop Dwellers! 26*F, partly cloudy and calm with a Winter Storm Warning in effect for my region. NWS predicting snow, 6-12", with a bit of freezing rain to top it off.

Just a note of appreciation for the "likes" and comments on my Friday post - James, Willie, Patrick, Guy, Karl, Tom-C, Gary, Garry, Sherrell, Tom-O, Hughie, Joe, Justin, Mikey.

Damn, Ken:
I forgot all about those...they never showed? I was considering one or two for myself, then I shifted focus... Did you get your prepayment back?
. . .
Joe, since one of the partners at SMD is a personal friend, I didn't want to press the issue. He did announce at one point at one point [after another delay ~2018] that anybody who really wanted their money back could cancel their preorder. I'll wait until he says they've cancelled their production plans before I request a refund, I'm sure the SMD model will look much better than my homegrown one.

Jejdjdjdhshehruf in rnrJFK didnsusn! Ofcourse the bell! Completely overlooked that! Maybe I've gotten used to mine not having it.
Well, Justin, look at the bright side - you could just change the number on your model to 5887 and save yourself the trouble of having to install a nose bell...J/K!😜

$350 price tag. I can personally vouch for ScaleTrains locomotives, as I have four of their SD40-2's, and their other locos are very popular in my club. I wish they were the (slightly) cheaper Rivet Counters just so I could justify buying more.

I know one was wrecked with MILW, so did WC end up getting all 9 units, or were half of them sold to Fepasa then? I don't remember.

Hmm...if they're offering this model, could that mean a C&O SD-18 with the low nose and hand-me-down Alco trucks is also in the ST pipeline? If so, then there goes my mrr budget out the window..!😵

Good morning gang,

20° and clear. NWS has issued a winter storm warning for us, starting tomorrow and ending late Monday, with a foot of sn*w possible.
Ken, I thought you fixed this for this year??? :rolleyes: :)

If I get snowed in, its ok. I got enough parts to finish 4 locos, plenty of firewood and SWMBO made a grocery run yesterday.

I'll take my coffee in the corner Flo, and a few chocolate chip cookies for now.
Oh well...what can I say, Karl? I gave it my best shot! [Sorry, no refunds]

Well I got quite a bit done today...but none of it mrr-related! In addition to my normal Saturday chores, I also had to make sure that my snow blower was fueled-up and ready for use, and - maybe even more important - that I'd actually know how to use the damn thing! Reading the owners manual from beginning to end, and doing a few [literally] dry runs with the blower, took up all of my morning. Then after lunch I made a trip to HD to buy some marker poles to put on the 'outward' side of my curved driveway, so I'll still know where to plow in case we get that 2-foot whopper that Accuweather is predicting:

DrivewaySnowMarkerPoles.jpg

(I tried to get a daytime photo but the dang things were nearly invisible...!)

...and after this it was time to go to 4 o'clock Mass, followed by hauling in a 3-day supply of firewood, and finally supper. Yep, it's been a long day, so I ought to be "sleeping like a log" tonight!

Last edited:
Willie - Why is so much of your post has a strike line ??

I have no clue but I fixed it. Could it have been an executive order???

I'd like to do that to a bunch that have been done lately!!

CURT said: so guess who gets to take him to school and pick him up next week? Any guesses? :(
Sounds yo me that you are being punished more than he?
I might have to give him an attitude check if the third/forth time!

Last edited:
Hmm...if they're offering this model, could that mean a C&O SD-18 with the low nose and hand-me-down Alco trucks is also in the ST pipeline? If so, then there goes my mrr budget out the window..!😵
Maybe, but an SDL39 isn't a rebuild or homebrew oddity, it's a very unique little EMD 6-axle pretending to be a 4-axle, and we Milwaukee, Soo and Wisconsin Central modelers have been dying to have one that ISNT brass for decades. I can't tell you how excited I was when they said the name, SDL39.

Here's three of them among others on a freight train heading into St. Paul, MN, along the river.
75088360_1341424276036957_8292366875342405632_o.jpg

Last edited:
Howdy, everybody ....

Terry ...... I like the photo with the U23C.

Ken .... An SD-18 as you described sounds like a fun kit-bashing project. With your talent, you could build a very impressive model.

Justin ...... If one blue is too light and another blue is too dark, what happens if you blend them together ? Good to see updates on your layout. Nice of your son to "help" with scenery. Cute.

Some of you Coffee Shop Patrons are talking about snow in your areas. Here in western Kentucky, we have not yet had any snow accumulation this winter. Normally, we do have some snow on the ground for part of winter.

Justin ...... If one blue is too light and another blue is too dark, what happens if you blend them together ? Good to see updates on your layout. Nice of your son to "help" with scenery. Cute
I thought the same. Why not mix the two. It makes it closer but still not right. My son had a ball putting stuff up there. He would run get it come back put it up there and run get something else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back