Running Bear's January 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Morning!
Today will be a day of great change as a cold front moves in from the arctic. This is probably the last day of balmy warm for awhile. It's still 24°F this morning. That's on the way out, though. By Sunday, we will be 30° cooler. - That is going to be very noticeable for a few days, until the blood makes the adjustment.
Mel will have to make sure he's stocked up on the hot chocolate.

Kleiner - I also wanted to mention a thumbs-up about the great looking layout space. Should be able to put something nice in there!
Ray - I can hear the trains coming just fine. It's the sneaky CN cop that I have trouble hearing. He's the one and only person I've met, that dosen't like me taking photos down there.
Phil - Are you OK?! I noticed you never tuned in to the shop yesterday. Get well, stay safe!
Karl - That janitor needs a good spanking. Hope you're wife is ok.
Willie - I'm happy you find my photos good enough to save some - it's a fine compliment knowing the photos are useful to others. Nice sunrise!
Guess I need to change directions, and do something outside the house, but what, without exposing myself to the virus?
Joe - When I get feeling like that, I head for a long bush walk in the forest. Does miracles for personal wellness. No need to get close to anyone when you are in the bush. - Hope your son is ok!

Today, I'll show photos of a boxcar parked in the local yard yesterday. The reporting mark LW confused me, so I looked it up:
Reprinted from The Right Way Magazine, Vol. 51, No. 5
'This railroad was first incorporated in August 1872 as the Louisville Branch Railroad Company. The name was changed to the Louisville and Wadley Railroad Company Aug. 14, 1879. Ten miles in length, the road was constructed in 1879 connecting the two towns of Louisville and Wadley, Ga.

This railroad was bought by Central Dec. 7, 1898, and was sold by Central to a group of citizens on Sept. 18, 1961. The line is now known as the Louisville and Wadley Railway Company.'

This car is a long way from home. I like the green color of this car, less the crappy artwork:
LW 6075_01-21-2021 (1).jpg

LW 6075_01-21-2021 (2).jpg

LW 6075_01-21-2021 (4).jpg

LW 6075_01-21-2021 (5).jpg

LW 6075_01-21-2021 (6).jpg

See ya tomorrow!

Good morning from chilly Wisconsin where the temperature in my section is minus 9 wind chill but it is sunny.

WILLIE, swimming is done indoors.

Karl, I am surprised they are blaming the janitor and the cleaning or lack of method. My understanding was the Virus didn’t transmit from surface contact. Or well, something new to worry about.

Down sizing, I dreadEd thinking of the day the layout needs to come down. But, downsizing the roster has been happening. In 2014 I had way over 300 pieces of stored rolling stock and over 100 locomotives that had never touched or even had seen a layout. As of yesterday I have 3 diesel locomotives, 1 brass steamer and 1 HO scale Lionel GS4 that I couldn’t give away new in its box. 42 pieces of rolling stock. I had hundreds of kits for structures and now nothing left to open. It takes time to down size but I didn’t do it because of health or age reasons. I woke up one day realizing I didn’t need all that. My goal is just 5 diesels for the layout and no more then 60 pieces of rolling stock. I shouldn’t need to tear down the layout if all goes well. The daughter wants this house and she will get it when the time comes.

I am writing this thinking back on all the good times I have had with my layout. Previous to the last 6 months I would run alone the layout 5-6 times at 30 minutes each per week. I was operating with Terry for about 90 minutes per week. Before Covid a year ago in March, friends and train buddies would operate every other week for 90 minutes or more. The last six months I may run total an hour per week. But I am spending many more daily hours in the trainroom at the modeling bench. Having still a good time but it feels more like a big diorama that an operational thing. Hopefully that will change back.

guy from the frozen north, I have an album of your rail postings, it will greatly help me with weathering my rolling stock
Front end Friday
TomO

88850244-F74F-4DE6-B4EF-0018BB8CEAC7.jpeg

I'm back. Got the chore out of the way, watched the opening of Stuart Varney and ate breakfast.
In the train shed yesterday, I advanced on the feed store build. Since our last visit on it, I had primered it and painted the outer walls with some Woodland Scenics concrete paint. I also painted all of the doors and windows.
IMG_5559.JPG

Yesterday, I added the doors and all of the windows.
IMG_5561.JPG

Interesting how the flash makes the color look so differently. It actually looks a lot more like concrete than either picture shows, but I am not exactly pleased with the results. I need the cinder block look. Now I know what Tom O has gone through, I need to reread his thread.
Tim warns that the windows are fragile and he includes six extra. I destroyed the first three, but I was able to repair and use them. They are all in the lower front wall. They are basically held together by the glue attaching the glass.
Even though the kit/instructions don't call for it, I am adding some bracing on the inside corners with some spare stripwood that I have. The interlocking corners should actually do the trick, but I am not taking chances on adding it later.
Still contemplating where to plant it later. I showed two locations already, Once I assemble it I will show an additional location that came to mind.

Have a great rest of the day and an awesome weekend if we don't meet again here. Stay safe.

Nice Model Willie!

Morning from heck and I'm glad I got the kinks worked out. So far I'm becoming an expert on our firewalls. I guess after 51/2 years it's about time I learned something about them (we'll be changing them out in another year or so). Change is inevitable in IT.

Howdy ....

Guy .... When I see freight cars painted by "artists" like that, I wonder what kind of people have so much time available for doing stuff like that. I wonder if the buy the paint or steal it. In any case, I do not like seeing it.

Willie.... Your current project is looking good.

Regarding relocating the model railroad. ....... I built mine so most of it could be moved if needed. Much of the layout is on tables end-to-end. Most are 2' x 4' sections. Legs are removable. However, I would not say it is portable. I would have to cut track, wires, and scenery where tables are joined together. So, it could be moved, but it would require a lot of work. ... Moving is a pain in the rear-end no matter what, and it can be expensive too. So, I don't plan on moving.

Here is an industry in the City of Heartland.

36766400755_944cb95887_b.jpg

[
first saw this with short video on FB. So searched on grandpa goo & have found multiple styles,designs,sizes some work with rubber bands I think.
I used the wording wooden toy train kit

Ali-Ex has some of those , I see them on the website all the time ,Ebay may have them as well I haven't really looked.

The ones that really got my attention were the Metalearth kits https://www.metalearth.com/content/images/thumbs/0001809_freight-train-set.jpeg

the tram is not bad https://www.metalearth.com/vehicles/melbourne-w-class-tram

Karl, I am surprised they are blaming the janitor and the cleaning or lack of method. My understanding was the Virus didn’t transmit from surface contact. Or well, something new to worry about.

I found this on how long Covid 19 can live on surfaces

Different Kinds of Surfaces
Metal

Examples: doorknobs, jewelry, silverware
5 days
Wood
Examples: furniture, decking
4 days

Plastics
Examples: milk containers and detergent bottles, subway and bus seats, backpacks, elevator buttons
2 to 3 days
Stainless steel
Examples: refrigerators, pots and pans, sinks, some water bottles
2 to 3 days
Cardboard
Examples: shipping boxes
24 hours
Copper
Examples: pennies, teakettles, cookware
4 hours
Aluminum
Examples: soda cans, tinfoil, water bottles
2 to 8 hours
Glass
Examples: drinking glasses, measuring cups, mirrors, windows
Up to 5 days
Ceramics
Examples: dishes, pottery, mugs
5 days
Paper
Examples: mail, newspaper
The length of time varies. Some strains of coronavirus live for only a few minutes on paper, while others live for up to 5 days.
Food
Examples: takeout, produce
Coronavirus doesn't seem to spread through food.
Water
Coronavirus hasn't been found in drinking water. If it does get into the water supply, your local water treatment plant filters and disinfects the water, which should kill any germs.
Fabrics
Examples: clothes, linens
There’s not much research about how long the virus lives on fabric, but it’s probably not as long as on hard surfaces.

It's a little skeeeeeery!

Good morning. We did get about an inch of snow overnight. For us, just a flurry.

Thanks for the comments on my having to tear out my layout. It's not something I want to do after working on it for well over 30 years but in the back of my mind I know the day would come some day. I do plan to operate it and enjoy it for a while being that it operates just the way I had planned it. Depending on where we're able to find a place I might keep some items for a shelf switching layout. To early to know for sure.

Garry - I do hate to leave this home as we have raised our kids here and have been in the home for going on to 44 years, but my son and his wife have also been looking to get out of this area because of the huge influx of out of state people moving in and ruining what used to be a beautiful place. I would like to stay in the area but the cost of housing here is the most expensive in the entire state, with prices starting to rival California. The price of a median home in the area us around $600,000. Rents for a 1 to 2 bedroom apartment or condo is in the $1,700 top $2,000 a month.

When the time comes, I will offer anything that I have to members of the forum before going about selling elsewhere.

More from the archives.

20180429_165453.jpg

20180503_171106.jpg

20180503_172357.jpg

20180519_205225.jpg

20180519_204855.jpg

20180519_204833.jpg

thumbnail_20181224_134606.jpg

thumbnail_20181223_130645.jpg

thumbnail_20181223_130621.jpg

thumbnail_20190113_122258.jpg

Got another phone call, gotta run. Later

Good afternoon,

Its 8 above and windy. Cold, but sunny here in St. Paul.

It looks like I missed yesterday but read the posts,

Willie - a bunch of people were laying down in one of your photos yesterday. Earthquake?

Chet - good luck and I hope it goes well, the downsizing.

Tom - scrap load is deluxe

Just finishing up another truck model maybe have photos Monday. In the meantime, here is a crows view of the old layout:

_MG_5637.jpg

more later, Dave LASM

Chet, beautiful pictures, great scenes you have created. Where are you living now? I figure Montana but where? The guy who was our sales manager retired a couple years ago to some where in Montana from Wisconsin. Robert and his wife loved to fly fish so I figure he is near a fly fishing area.

Karl, thanks for that info, I think. I was unaware and in a word, you are right. SKEEERY!

Moermusic, I like that wooden loco. A few years ago were were at a Saturday artist show. Another thing missing because of Covid. A artist had wood craved what he said was O scale, 2-8-4 and it was big and stunning to me. I hemmed and hawed but moved on. Maybe 1/2 later told Terry I was going to buy it, she was ok. Went and looked at it. $2500.00. Nope. Maybe 15 minutes later I said yes and headed back. It was being wrapped out to another guy who told me, it took the 3rd return visit for him to buy it too.

TomO

Tom... like your scrap load! Did you weigh that by chance?
No I'll have to do that but it won't be much.
Tom - Nice looking load. I wish that I had been more observant when visiting our machine shop at work. I remember lots of tailings but from first glance they all looked too out of scale.
My neighbor has a small shop. He gets a lot of work from places that need stuff made in small quantities.
Tom - scrap load is deluxe
Thanks,Dave the stuff he had yesterday was a mix of steel, aluminium, black plastic, and some copper.
Thanks to all for the likes on the gondola scrap load.
Today I got the pipe load from Grain belt models. It's steel culvert, very nice product. I have to add some wood strips and banding yet,but fit really nice. They were very good to talk to.I sent them an email asking which pipe would fit my gondola. He got back asking the inside measurement,sent him it and got a reply and size of the 48" scale pipe which would fit perfect.
IMG_3909.jpg
IMG_3910.jpg

Afternoon All,

Today was a productive day in the train room and at the end a large frustration. I wired up yesterday's fixed track without issue and test ran all the leads and reverse loop without issue. I then painted the small area of rail that needed it. After that I painted the pieces for the second company house. The frustration was one of the sets of 4 wheels (large steamer) quit spinning so I'll have to take a look at that this weekend.

I talked to Phil today and he's not sick just limited energy.

Thank you to everyone for the likes on the company house yesterday.

Guy- You're too funny. Interesting photos but I am not a fan of graffiti.

Sherrel- Thank you.

Garry- Thank you. Great layout scene.

IB Ken- Thank you.

Tom- Great looking scrap and pipe loads.

Joe- Thank you. Yeah it can get frustrating because I'm pretty ham handed. I hope your son continues to do well and glad that kitty is OK. Are you trying to avoid soldering feeder wires to the buss wires? That's what I'm doing this time around.

Justin- I'm glad the GP9 is running better and good luck with your investigation. Be careful you don't burn something up.

moermusic- I believe Micro-Mark sells similar kits.

Jerry- Thank you. Another Jerry (different forum) suggested to put a burn barrel there which I think I will do.

Willie- Thank you. Beautiful sunset. Nice progress on the kit.

Karl- I hope your wife will be OK. The janitor needs to be out of a job.

TomO- Great layout shot.

Chet- Excellent layout photos.

Dave LASM- Excellent layout photo.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Down sizing, I dreadEd thinking of the day the layout needs to come down. But, downsizing the roster has been happening. In 2014 I had way over 300 pieces of stored rolling stock and over 100 locomotives that had never touched or even had seen a layout. As of yesterday I have 3 diesel locomotives, 1 brass steamer and 1 HO scale Lionel GS4 that I couldn’t give away new in its box. 42 pieces of rolling stock. I had hundreds of kits for structures and now nothing left to open. It takes time to down size but I didn’t do it because of health or age reasons. I woke up one day realizing I didn’t need all that. My goal is just 5 diesels for the layout and no more then 60 pieces of rolling stock. I shouldn’t need to tear down the layout if all goes well. The daughter wants this house and she will get it when the time comes.

How true about downsizing or paring down your equipment rosters. I've decided to concentrate on the better models and motive power for my CM&N Railroad since I currently have perhaps 400 pieces of rolling stock and just under 100 locomotives, many still in their boxes.

I purchased equipment on impulse, without forethought no planning and soon many of these pieces will be on EBay or sold at a swap meet.

-Greg

Chet, beautiful pictures, great scenes you have created. Where are you living now? I figure Montana but where? The guy who was our sales manager retired a couple years ago to some where in Montana from Wisconsin. Robert and his wife loved to fly fish so I figure he is near a fly fishing area.
We are south of Bozeman about 14 miles off of US-191 on the way south to Yellowstone Park. There is some great fishing here, but too many rude people moving here from other parts of the country.

Good Morning Everyone.....clear and cold here in this part of Wisconsin. Hope its cold for the Packer game to welcome the Buccaneers to Green Bay in January come Sunday afternoon. We attended the last Championship game in Green Bay and the temperature was a -8 degrees when I was enjoying a frozen beer and a cold Brat after getting off the bus.

Well, I've been busy with the new puppy, Riley. She likes to chew so I watch her very minute and if she plays for an hour she sleeps for an hour and a half. Here's a photo of Riley and she looks larger than her 3.5 pound. She a mini dachshund and thanks to Montanan for finding her breeder in Iowa. A long eight hour drive to pick her up driving across lower Wisconsin and then almost all the way across Iowa, just an hour from the Nebraska state line.

Riley at Cindys at 9 Weeks.jpg

Now much new on the model railroad front. I did ruin a proto 2K by trying a new weathering method. I guess I should of known to test the method first and then work on a model. I'll watch for a new loco shell on E Bay. Live and learn!!!

I been purchasing rolling stock on the web and found some nice pieces of rolling stock. One is a patched Athearn Southern Pacific 50 foot box car and another a 50 foot, Canadian Pacific paper hauling box car.

Chet, we have rude people living here too and some very dumb ones like our neighbors who shot up our cabin last year. Guess they're hard to escape from when looking for a place to call home. Relatives in 50's living in remote Northern Wisconsin and their only neighbors living across the road were hardcore Moonshiners and made the mix in an old barn.

Pipe loads can be made by wrapping aluminum foil around a threaded bolt and then sealing the loose ends with AC. Un-screw the new culvert or pipe from the bolt. Paint or weather to your liking. Cheap and easy way to make these additions to your layout.

No other news to report................

Greg

################

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back