Running Bear's January 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
To Hughie, Texas Hobo and anyone else who is interested there is a car forwarding program on ebay named "Waybills that I have been using for the last 25+ years and I have a ball. I think the cost is $40.00
I am somewhat of a fanatic when it comes to Excel. I have spent many, many hours learning and working with it. It is almost like a second hobby to me, learning new ways to make it do something. Problem is, it does so many things one forgets how to do something. Oh you know it can do it if you could just remember the formula, and I find it fun and a challenge. As a last resort, I'm cheap.

Evening fellers. I hope everyone is doing well. Havent done much to the layout these past few days. Hooked up my MRC Tech 4 260 last night. Add a little bit more fun to the layout. Well from a stationary standpoint anyways. Not sure if the 260 will stay however. Eventhough it puts out gobs of voltage. I forgot how powerful this throttle actually is! I dont know if itll be a permanent fixture on my layout or not. I wanted to check its performance against the Troller throttle I'm currently using. Performance is slightly better. I dont have to turn the knob over half way to get a train a moving with my 260. That's about the only difference I can make. Out between the two. Touching base on the mail system. I actually recieved my coal loads for my walthers hoppers in the mail yesterday. They came all the way from California!!! Everything else closer to me has stalled. They are sitting in postal distribution centers. One item took two days to go from one town in georgia to Atlanta georgia. Two days!!! In the same state!!!! Anyways I'm projected to receive those items monday. So I'd say there isn't much movement for them this weekend. Oh and I did get my amazon order yesterday as well. I have some sculptamold to work with now when the time comes. Another new technique I get to work with. Hopefully it works as well as I hope. I've applied a few new things to this build. It's been trial and error but I'm making progress and that's what counts. Hopefully tonight I can get most of the base work for my scenery done. That would be great. Then on to the plastering process. That's all I have for now. I'll try to stop by again later.

Will you be able to post some pics, I have a bunch of empty cars that I am debating filling?
thanks, Gary
Black ballast/cinders work nice for live loads.
IMG_3206.jpg

s 41 degrees starting this day and the guessers say it will be 73 later on with variable clouds.
The Spousal Unit's knee replacement surgery, even though it was to be on an out-patient basis, has been cancelled. All elective surgery has been cancelled

Sherrel: That's disappointing, I was "postponed last year, when "Knucklehead", shut the state down. Out of curiosity, Around here, it's unusual to have this surgery without at least an overnight in the hospital. Whats the deal in CA?

Curt: Thanks. Sorry to learn of all the aggravation your mom is going through. Bad enough that she has a very serious condition, to deal with without any other grief.
I did test positive from the Covid test, I can test again Tuesday. Therefore I still have to isolate, not happy but can’t do anything about it.

Tom L; That sucks. Hopefully, Tuesday's test will be negative.

Garry: Hope the implants wok out. Well worth the cost in my opinion. Hope your Son and DIL fully recover quickly. Great news on the Vaccine. The way "Knucklehead" has things prioritized, we won't see the first dose until May or June.

Dave: Cool Geep, can't wait to see the new model.

Tom and Alan:
Y'all posted while I was writing...absolutely awesome pix. Especially the roundhouse...never saw that many GS locos.

Guy: Great detailed photos. Good luck in court Tuesday. I'm really surprised the CN hasn't dropped the charge... Then again the railroad industry has changed for the worse since I retired.

Hughie: Switch Lists are Easy, and encompass all the information the other documents contain. Same with Drill orders.

May have over done things today, Went to HD, picked up everything on my list / wife's list, then came home, had lunch, then went out to take down and box the Christmas decorations. Most of the extension cords are over 10 years old and have seen better days, so they got tossed. Then I covered the AC Condenser with a new tarp. using a mixture of new and old bungees and wire ties to secure it. It had clouded over, looked like snow, with a North wind, and it was raw out. Of course, I couldn't do what I had to do wearing gloves, so the hands were cold. After a short rest, i went to the basement where i began re-organizing and cleaning the furnace room and storage adjacent to my model RR work bench. By dinner time, I was tired, and could have napped. I want this project done by Monday. I did buy an additional shelf set, and may need another. What I really need is a dumpster, for all the junk the wife and I have accumulated over the years.

Have a good weekend, and stay safe and stay well...those of you who aren't well, heal quickly.

Hello Shop Dwellers, it's 31*F and clear with a 5mph N wind at my house.

Thank you all the for "like" and/or comments - Justin, James, Tom-C, Hughie, Garry, Phil, Joe, Luke, Jerome, Patrick, Jerry, Karl, Tom-O, Sherrell.

Ken: Question, what ratio do you use to get the paint thin enough? Question #2 What do you use to thin it? nice fade on the B&O Geep.
Joe, I normally start at 16:1 thinner to paint, but I usually add drops of paint until I can see a visible before/after difference. I use the Tamiya brand thinner, to ensure the paint doesn't react in unexpected ways (ex. curdling).
FlatWhiteSprayMaterials.jpg

I also have a box of junk shells that I dress-up similar to whatever model I'm painting, and spray those to determine if the mixture needs to be thickened.
AirbrushPracticeShells.jpg

(You probably already know to do that, but I'm mentioning it for the benefit of anyone reading who hasn't done airbrushing yet...)

. . .
Ken, that is amazing that just doing that one step makes such a difference like that. 👍
. . .

Thanks Jerry! That "one step" actually has a lot of sub-steps that make it a PITA. But it's the only effective way I've found to "age" my trains without using light-colored powders, which will either (1) rub off, or (2) disappear when you apply Dullcote.

An update on my snowblower soap opera: I checked the trucking company website again today around lunchtime and, not surprisingly, they'd delayed the "estimated" delivery date to Monday, Jan 11. The terminal manager who was supposed to "reach out" to me still hadn't done so by 4pm, so I called them. This time I was passed thru to the terminal dispatcher, who said I was getting it on Monday. I asked her, "Is this for real, and not just an 'estimated' thing?" "Yes sir, the time window is 11am to 3pm and the driver will call you 30 minutes in advance." Ok, sounds pretty definite to me. If she hadn't told me that, I would have cancelled my order with Home Depot and gone to one of the local stores that has this model in stock, and had my SIL pick it up in his truck. I do NOT want to be without that blower when the next nor'easter clobbers my region!

Starting to get used to "winter" weather. It's 52* at 9:30 p.m should drop to 40 by 5 am.. Yeah, I know, that's not cold by "YANKEE" standards but I'm a "DAMN YANKEE", have been for over 60 years. and do NOT like the cold.
Busy day for me, today. Household chores and then pharmacy and marketing.
Really enjoy all the pictures y'all post. Also the how you do its.
Hope all stay well and warm. Goodnight,
Phil

Ahhhh finally I got my new charger in today to be able to use my laptop! So I will be able to do some updates whew! Dagum old charger just burned out!

Anyhow I will post a few on goings on the RPO and my JRs UPRR thread. Getting cold again down to 11 degrees....burning wood in the o'l fireplace.

Later!
Peace!

I'm back, had to interrupt my earlier post because I was summoned...

. . .
Ken- Thanks a lot! Now I have another GP18 I have to model. I am trying to model the engines (mostly GP7s, 9s, and 18s) that hung out around St. Louis, and you found another one! I weather my rolling stock, and I will be weathering my engines too. I just think the blue is too dark actually. I have to repaint it anyway because I have made too many paint chips and the old paint is cracking in some spots. Once it is done, it will get weathered. Nice job on the B&O Geeps, by the way.
. . .
Luke, there's plenty more where that one came from! Do you ever peruse George Ellwood's website, rr-fallenflags.org? He's got roster photo collections of just about every North American railroad that ever existed, including MoPac: http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/mp/mp.html

Tom-O - hope your Tuesday Covid test comes back negative.

Sherrell - sorry to hear that your wife's knee surgery had to get postponed!

Last edited:
Will you be able to post some pics, I have a bunch of empty cars that I am debating filling?
thanks, Gary
Gary. I have a bunch of older pics I can share. Most are from my previous layout. I havent taken any good car pics on my new build. But I'll share what I have.
FB_IMG_1610163999767.jpg

FB_IMG_1610163563031.jpg

FB_IMG_1610163545088.jpg

FB_IMG_1610163907249.jpg

These are shots of my made coal loads. This is just a start.

Awesome pics both Cambria and Chessie, thank you!
I read on the other forum that some modellers still add weights to their cars to bring them to NMRA standards, do many of you do that?
I don't, all my coal cars are Walthers bethgons with Atlas metal wheels.All trucks are tuned before installing the wheels so they roll with ease. I can pull 50+ cars empty or full with or without pushers.

Good Morning..... There's something bright in the sky that's been absent for 10 days. Coffee Flo with some sunny side up eggs to celebrate.

Thanks for the likes on the coal loader. It's 16' of module that I take to our club shows. Live coal gets loaded into the cars, the tipple hold about 26-28 car loads. Just like the prototype I can set the speed of the train and load the cars without stopping between each car. The coal can be loaded into the tipple manually or air assist through the backside in the tube that runs to the top.

An update on my snowblower soap opera: I checked the trucking company website again today around lunchtime and, not surprisingly, they'd delayed the "estimated" delivery date to Monday, Jan 11. The terminal manager who was supposed to "reach out" to me still hadn't done so by 4pm, so I called them. This time I was passed thru to the terminal dispatcher, who said I was getting it on Monday. I asked her, "Is this for real, and not just an 'estimated' thing?" "Yes sir, the time window is 11am to 3pm and the driver will call you 30 minutes in advance." Ok, sounds pretty definite to me. If she hadn't told me that, I would have cancelled my order with Home Depot and gone to one of the local stores that has this model in stock, and had my SIL pick it up in his truck. I do NOT want to be without that blower when the next nor'easter clobbers my region!
That happened to me three times while waiting for the layout delivery. "Yes, it'll be there X day, between 10-2." Twice it never showed, and they never called to reschedule.

(You probably already know to do that, but I'm mentioning it for the benefit of anyone reading who hasn't done airbrushing yet...)

Thanks Ken, In theory, I do know this, but in practice, I'm challenged any time I airbrush. My spray booth has seen more rattle can than air brush.
I recently tried to age a wooden box car, that will become stationary company storage on my Essington Module, using stain and alcohol, with mixed results. Most likely I will finish with dullcote and powders. With the way Testors products are disappearing from shelves at my usual suppliers, it' time to migrate to brands I'm less familiar with.

The other side is that I have numerous units that need to be faded I'm a follower of the don't over do weathering theory, as in reality, it was rare to find actual cars weathered to the extent that we see on some model railroads.

Around here, it's unusual to have this surgery without at least an overnight in the hospital. Whats the deal in CA?
JOE - Apparently they want to kick them out ASAP. Wife was happy with that - she did not want to stay in the hospital - and was going to cancel the surgery herself if she had to "overnight". Willie's spouse had her second knee worked on via out patient services.

Good Morning Guys. Clear and 29° on my back porch this morning. NWS is still predicting rain and snow tomorrow. It was nice yesterday with the sun finally out after three days; not sure what time today it will cloud over again.

A couple of giant breakfast burritos for me this morning Flo. Sausage, egg and cheese only. Hold the potatoes. Lots of spicy salsa on the side.

Thanks folks for the likes and comments regarding yesterday's project and review post; Joe, Guy, Tom O, Patrick, Garry, Phil, Karl, Chad, Jerome, Luke, Hughie, Curt, Rick, Dave, Tom, James, Ken, Gary, Justin.

Once again I am going to put the Year 2020 Review on hold since I haven't had time yet to review it myself. But it will return after I review the 100's of pictures!
Out in the train shed yesterday, I did do some more work on the corner with the trailers. Added trees, bushes and ground cover.
IMG_5467.JPG

I intend to add more trees as soon as I get some made.
Over to the right of the silver trailer, I added a beekeeping scene.
IMG_5469.JPG

I'll have to get a better overall view today.
As I move left on the layout cleanup, these are the next structures in sight.
IMG_5412.JPG

The water tower is easy and I cleaned it yesterday. I'll get that yellow rooming house today. As posted before, it's just stored there for now until I decide what to do with that 96" x 9" piece of layout real estate.
Next over are some structures that will remain. In the background is a plastics factory, think Tupperware, and the pellet silos out front. It is unfinished right now. It wa sset up on the old layout, but didn't transfer well. You can see some parts and the instructions on the roof of the building. The structure itself is made from Pikestuff wall components and the silos came from Walther's.
IMG_5414.JPG

I'll highlight the front structures tomorrow.

Patrick -
I saw some weird hopper\gondola style cars being pulled this morning. Had rounded bottoms between the trucks (think loco fuel tanks) with tank car style roofs, but the cars were boxy not tank style.
You mean like this?

1610198287277.png

If so, it's a Bethgon coal gondola, made for rotary dumping. Nearly always pulled in unit trains, never in mixed freights. It's probably not something that Guy could feature here, as they are normally only present in moving trains from mine to power plants or back.
Joe - Makes it a heavy structure!
Regarding your question to Sherrel about the knee replacement surgery. My wife's first one was done in the hospital and the overnight stay was optional. She only stayed because she got an initial PT the next morning. The second one was done at an out patient clinic by choice, since she chose to do all of the PT herself. It's all about the money that hospitals can extract from Medicare and insurance companies.
Sherrel - Sorry to read about the delay in Kate's knee replacement. Guess that you didn't donate to the right politicians.
Guy - Predictions or not, our weather is greatly influenced by the La Niña weather pattern out in the Equatorial Pacific Ocean. When it's active like this season, our region always experiences a more mild winter. I don't remember whether it affects your weather or not.
I do not fasten down structures except in extreme conditions. I like the ability to remove them for cleaning and maintenance. Also, any external force like elbows, just dislodges them instead of breaking parts off, well mostly.
Very nice shots of the center beam flat yesterday.
Garry - Good that you were able to get implants, I like all eight of mine. Can't tell that they are there except the broken teeth are no longer there. But I like to eat so I needed to get them. What I don't like is being charged the same for teeth cleaning even when the tech doesn't have to clean them.
I do like to get an hour or three in the train shed every day.
Tom - Yes I always ballast first and then landscape. I just get a better feel for the terrain when I do it that way. I know that many modelers do it the other way and I don't make any claim as to which is better. I find that sweeping and shaping ballast against the outside of the rails and ties is easier on bare plywood than on scenery.
Gary -
I read on the other forum that some modellers still add weights to their cars to bring them to NMRA standards, do many of you do that?
I only add if needed. Most freight cars manufactured since the turn of the century already have the correct weight. On my older layouts (not as well built), underweight freight cars sometimes "stringlined" (fell to the inside) on uphill curves and some would also bounce and derail over rough track.

Everybody have a great day and an awesome weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back