Running Bear's February 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
True that, https://dccwiki.com/DCC_Starter_Systems_Comparison
But those 2 are the big dogs here, Lenz and ESU are quite popular in Europe.
I have the ESU Cab Control 7 amp system. Unless you like software issues and updates plus a lousy battery life on the throttle stay away.

I went ESU only because of how easy the ProtoThrottles intergrated with it. Now that all 3 PT’s are sold off I am back to disliking a throttle that won’t even last a 2 hour session. Back to thinking of returning to RailPro.

TomO

Although they may be well known, consider support too.
ESU looks down their nose at American modelers. My local dealer has told me we don't get all the necessary data files to run the ESU system. Their loathing of Americans makes getting good support a hit or miss issue. I tried the ESU system. Initial marketing said the master station would interface with my existing Digitrax boosters, block detectors and signal boards. After hours of fiddling with it they say welll ya need this component. OK, bought the component, fiddled with it more then listen to the degrading comments about Digitrax being substandard and electronic cheats. Another component was needed for the block detection interface. Wait, wait, wait stop right there. Enough, take this crap out and reinstall my Digitrax.
If you're new to DCC ya have to take into account of how much experience is available for "actual operating advice". No, not the electronic smart dude who may or may not be available for guidance, but a wealth of operators who have experienced the issues you're going to run into with your DCC system.
I have had issues with ESU’s European based customer service. Exactly as Ken you described it. If I got either of the Hermann‘s based in Pennsylvania it was great. Matt Hermann is aware of the European attitude towards the North Americans but that is beyond his control, even though he is the N.A. general manager.

So much promise, so little delivered

TomO

Good afternoon,

Thought I would share a photo over my lunchbreak. The grade shown was a problem area, I used some of that spray can foam under the track at this incline and did have very gradual shifting which only affected one of my locos. Learned not use that stuff under track anywhere.

a final view 004.JPG

All of my "finished" photos are from a layout I dismantled in 2017.

The new layout is a long way away from here. There is nothing I can add to the DCC discussion because I am DC only. I spend so much time on scenery that deciphering the electronic jargon is a little daunting.

Not to mention I have a hard time with 1 locomotive, much less multiple ones

Dave LASM

Morning fellers. Man what a week this has been. Not too much good going on to say the least. Decided to take on learning DCC. That didn't pan out nowhere near what I thought it would. Poor reception from Digitrax about just killed it for me. It definitely put a sour taste in my mouth. I did touch base with one of the better techs. I just don't know if it's even worth the headache. Good thing I have great DC throttles to fall back on. My last purchase from eBay came in with only one of the two items I ordered. So I had to message the seller on why he only sent one of the two items. He's supposed to send me the other one today. I suppose we will see. So a good run of bad luck here. With the weather about to do some off the wall stuff tonight into tomorrow. Who even knows? Anyways that's all I have for now.

I saw your thread last night about Digitrax. Have you downloaded JMRI and do you have a PR3 or PR4 from Digitrax? This will really, really make your life so much easier for programing and such. It's worth the time and cost. JMRI is free software developed by MRR. The interface for your computer PR3 are now like 40 bucks and the PR4s are new designs and may run @ 75 bucks.

Good afternoon to all dwellers within the diner. Weather is a bit different then the 52f degrees So. Central Wisconsin had yesterday. 19 now heading to much colder over night.

The grandson was at the doctor this morning to check on his concussion. He is fine and the doctor cleared him for practice on Friday evening and games this Sunday. A parent of a kid who was not involved with any of this but saw the security tapes called the cops in. It was being handled but now the authories including Social Services are involved. This causes more issues for the victim’s family and the alleged perpetrator. The daughter was not filing charges as the Association and the State youth hockey association were taking care of the issue. Not now and the hubby, daughter and grandson stopped at the attorney office after the doctor today. All the ducks are lined up per the SIL. They will also now go after somehow the person that called in the police. Only the Attorneys will make out on this. Social Services said, not asked, but said they will come to the house at 9:30am to interview the gd/son’s parents on Friday. The Attorney will also be there. This is now really interesting.

I will head to the weathering station this afternoon.

Enjoy your day
TomO

Absolutely!!!! No matter what DCC system you have.....you MUST have JMRI with an interface to your PC. This software is designed and built by model railroaders and it's free! It works as it should and does a great job in programing.
Well, disagree with you on this. We are a Apple hardware based household. Apple does not interface with JMRI so it’s not for everyone. No PC’s here.

TomO

True that, https://dccwiki.com/DCC_Starter_Systems_Comparison
But those 2 are the big dogs here, Lenz and ESU are quite popular in Europe.

That is just starter sets and stuff, not individual command stations. I didn't see Z21 (which is a Roco/Fleischmann product I believe) or the excellent low cost command station I use, Digikeijs DR5000. (in the US they are rep-ed and very well supported by Iron Planet Hobbies). DR5000 supports Loconet and can use all the various Loconet boosters, throttles etc you have from Digitrax or others. I have a Digitrax LNWI for WiThrottle access hooked up to mine. DIgikeijs also makes all sorts of detector and points controlers and stuff that work with Loconet (and other systems) so you can use them with Digitrax etc.

We are expecting a massive storm Eunice apparently has her knickers in a twist and p,and to batter the whole of the UK, hundred mile winds are possible, and being in the Midlands we are in the centre apparently, so eye of the storm etc, they have warned people to not travel. If anything goes north outside we have agreed to NOT go out and try and fix it. hopefully the animals are going to be okay under cover.
I'll be thinking of you all cozy at home, I'm up the dales tomorrow, so that's going to be (not) fun.

Well I see there is a lot of responses to my post. I didn't really do much shopping around for DCC stuff. I just happen to stumble on to my DB150. It came with a pair of DT100 throttles. I'll be quick to say I can't stand those things! So then I stumble on a seller who is selling DT400R, UT4R, and UR91. I had no idea how the digitrax simplex system worked. I ended up getting cables to handle tethered operations. I was used to being tethered. Then add in a pair of UP5 panels to handle the tethered aspects. Now I'm invested. I'm invested but not sold on DCC. I added some DH163LO decoders. They were dirt cheap so I saved a few bucks. Installed them and at first I had to use the DT100 for programming. It was like pulling teeth! So there has to be a better way. Find the DT400R. Oh now that's more like it! I don't like the encoders though. Add in the UT4R. Now we are cooking! At least so I thought. I started missing my controlmaster 20. This is the point I just couldnt accept the move to DCC. So I pull all the DCC stuff. Switch out the decoders and went solely DC. Fast forward and now I'm planning my next build. Do I really want to run all that wire again? Do I really want to plan out all of the blocks I'll need? Well let's try DCC again. Here is where the punch in the face begins. All is well and peachy. I'm programming CVs. Then I do a program on my GP38. Everything is dead. Not a single throttle works. After school me back and forth it's the DB150 that's failed. Good news is I can get it repaired for $35. It'll take a month or two to get it fixed. So back to DC again. The money invested is the biggest hit. DCC is definitely more expensive than DC by a long shot. At this point I regret being so invested into this endeavor than anything. My DC throttle prices are a small fraction compared to the prices of DCC. I regret the decision more so than not. There's only two perks I like about DCC that DC doesn't have. I like parking my locomotives where ever I want and not have to worry about it. I do enjoy the light control as well. For the price though? I'm still not 100% on it. I'm even less enthusiastic about it since the first response from Digitrax. It wasnt nearly as welcoming as I had thought it would be.

Just got back from costco with a new set of bionic ears.

In my last hearing test, we found a need to crank up the high frequencies. I'm now having to dial back the treble on the app. I hear every darn fan running down here in the basement. Computer, air cleaner, 3D printer, and heater. Gah! Noise pollution.😜

At least I can hear. :p

And, since they're Bluetooth compatible, I'm trying to see how long they'll last with me listening to tunes through them (like using earbuds)

ears.jpg

Justin, I will tell you about DCC systems, it seems to be what you have the most initial experience with, as what you would prefer. I started out with Digitrax, and even though I have had some issues with one of the systems (DB150), the customer service for NCE completely turned me off as far as their system.

Absolutely!!!! No matter what DCC system you have.....you MUST have JMRI with an interface to your PC. This software is designed and built by model railroaders and it's free! It works as it should and does a great job in programing.
Nope, don't have it and don't want it, I've programmed my decoder's, initially with trepidation, but with a handy notepad, I know what CV's to tweak to get, for me, the best result for what I want.

Afternoon All,

Back from Jon's. I told him of my DCC issues, and he gave me a list of 8 opswitches to check for the base station. After getting home I did and had to change 6 of them. I also increased output voltage to the max, but only increased track voltage to 12 (considered minimum voltage). I guess if I want more voltage I need a newer unit, so I'll live with it. The good news is that everything is working correctly again.

Thank you for all the photo likes yesterday.

Troy- You don't have any excuses about hearing your wife now! :)

Jaz- I have a prescription of D3.

Smudge- It's called picking your battles.

Ken (IL)- Best wishes for the job.

Sherrel- Continuing prayers for you and it's good to seeing you post.

Willie- Great looking building.

Jaz- Great looking pooches.

Dave- Another great scene.

I hope everyone has a good night.

The mail just arrived, and I got three collection notices from Novant Health. They turned me over for collection for a $7 bill and a $50 bill, both of which I've been paying toward every month since my insurance refused to pay for my physical on September 1. The third one totals $120.

Good afternoon,

Thought I would share a photo over my lunchbreak. The grade shown was a problem area, I used some of that spray can foam under the track at this incline and did have very gradual shifting which only affected one of my locos. Learned not use that stuff under track anywhere.

View attachment 141146

All of my "finished" photos are from a layout I dismantled in 2017.

The new layout is a long way away from here. There is nothing I can add to the DCC discussion because I am DC only. I spend so much time on scenery that deciphering the electronic jargon is a little daunting.

Not to mention I have a hard time with 1 locomotive, much less multiple ones

Dave LASM
Well you are awesome with the scenery, so I definitely forgive you :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back