Running Bear's December 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Afternoon!

I'm very happy just now. A bit of lighting was installed in the coffee shop, and I nearly have two buildings ready for the layout.
View attachment 136642
A roof and the floor still has be be put into the diner, plus the waitress (who has a chip on her shoulder) has to be painted. Suppose I should weather the building as well. All in all, though, I'm a happy camper.
More photos:
View attachment 136643
View attachment 136644

The camera seems to be picking up a-lot of glare. They look far better in real life. Plus, I can dim these lights.

I'm lighting up the towns front row based on a bet the G-kids will have an enjoyable time playing with the layout. Plus, the lights are for the child hiding in me, as well. I hope I get knocked down by a meteorite if I ever grow up.

I have renewed enthusiasm for the hobby. Time to get on with it. I want lights; lots of lights.
That is some great detail. I need to light more of of the few bldgs I have.

Afternoon All,

Spent a lot of time in the layout room. Started out cleaning all my diesel wheels. The FP7 locos were unbelievably dirty. I put it on the mainline and I got the same start and stops. I take them off and put my F3's on. Same issue. I decide to meter the track and discovered power was cycling off and on...hence the starting and stopping. Now why is it doing it? Obviously, I have to look at the sidings since that is the only change in months. I decided to bite the bullet and pulled up the two sidings and electrofrog. I retested and I was getting the same power shifting on and off. At this point I didn't have a clue what to do. After scratching my head and cussing (in my head) I figured I needed to remove the entire siding to see if that made a difference. I went to get the Xacto knife, picked it up and everything started up. I put the sidings back together and everything worked. I can't believe I wasted probably 4 hours over 2 days because of a Xacto knife. :oops: The problem was that it was covered up by all the stuff piled on the peninsula so I didn't see it.

Thank you for all the likes yesterday on my posted photos.

Christian- Pink Floyd and Black Sabbath are great groups. I stared at your layout trying to figure out how the inner loops connected to the outer...SMH!

Ken- It's good that kids are doing organized things with other kids again.

Joe- Et Tu Brute? Of course, Navy is going to win tomorrow.

Jerry- Interesting MOW car.

Tom Holley- Nice video.

View attachment 136640

View attachment 136641

I hope everyone has a good night.

Some nice looking Pennsy power there.

Last edited:
Army - Navy game tomorrow! I will be watching it periodically while I am ripping out my old dishwasher that I have not used because it never worked since I bought the house. I have a new one on the way and will be here early next week. I need this out as they will take it away after dropping off the new one! Once that's done tomorrow I will be in the train room!

Go Navy!. Ducking for cover.

Concerning Army - Navy. I was the son of a Marine, so growing up, I supported Navy. I ended up enlisting in the Army, so I changed my allegiance.
My Father in law was a Tin Can Sailor, so her allegiance was, (and is Navy). Second son, enlisted in the Marines, and now works for the Department of the Navy...Oldest son followed my lead, enlisted in the Army...He is still serving in the 6th. Cav. We are a house divided on Army - Navy Day...Scouts Out, Guns Up Go Army!

Probably, the most ordinary day of the month. After a bit of shopping, I sat down, and cleared up a lot of bill paying and other chores. I watched, a sluggish capitals team lose to Pittsburgh...At Home, no less. Disappointing.

Wreck 1-23-1952 - Elevated North of Spring Garden, fowling connection.png

January 23, 1952. Wreck on the PRR West Philadelphia Elevated Branch, (High Line), between Spring Garden St. and Zoo. Most likely an East or Southbound train. Both Philadelphia based Wreck Trains, one with a 150Tn Derrick the other a 120 Tn Derrick, work to clear a car that took a header off the Highline and ended up on the 36th Street Connecting Track, a Passenger Line. Apparently, they are attempting to drop the car down to the connection, to be re-railed. Photo from the Philadelphia Bulletin, courtesy Temple University.

I am in a bit of a modeling funk lately when it comes to the layout.
That happens to me all the time. It's probably the reason it took me near a year to make a simple DPM kit.
Then one day, the energy just comes back.
It's better to take the break, though, than rushing something just to get it out of the way.

This turnout came in the mail today. I'm hoping it helps me out of an anticipated curve problem that I foresee in my near future.
New_12-10-2021 (2).jpg

I don't have a track plan. I'm just going where the wind takes me. Perhaps on the other side, I'll have to learn how to make a square curve.

Have a great night.

Concerning Army - Navy. I was the son of a Marine, so growing up, I supported Navy. I ended up enlisting in the Army, so I changed my allegiance.
My Father in law was a Tin Can Sailor, so her allegiance was, (and is Navy). Second son, enlisted in the Marines, and now works for the Department of the Navy...Oldest son followed my lead, enlisted in the Army...He is still serving in the 6th. Cav. We are a house divided on Army - Navy Day...Scouts Out, Guns Up Go Army!

Probably, the most ordinary day of the month. After a bit of shopping, I sat down, and cleared up a lot of bill paying and other chores. I watched, a sluggish capitals team lose to Pittsburgh...At Home, no less. Disappointing.

View attachment 136659

January 23, 1952. Wreck on the PRR West Philadelphia Elevated Branch, (High Line), between Spring Garden St. and Zoo. Most likely an East or Southbound train. Both Philadelphia based Wreck Trains, one with a 150Tn Derrick the other a 120 Tn Derrick, work to clear a car that took a header off the Highline and ended up on the 36th Street Connecting Track, a Passenger Line. Apparently, they are attempting to drop the car down to the connection, to be re-railed. Photo from the Philadelphia Bulletin, courtesy Temple University.

USMC 79-83 myself, I like the tradition of the games though.

That happens to me all the time. It's probably the reason it took me near a year to make a simple DPM kit.
Then one day, the energy just comes back.
It's better to take the break, though, than rushing something just to get it out of the way.

This turnout came in the mail today. I'm hoping it helps me out of an anticipated curve problem that I foresee in my near future.
View attachment 136660

I don't have a track plan. I'm just going where the wind takes me. Perhaps on the other side, I'll have to learn how to make a square curve.

Have a great night.

I think some of the most enjoyable times building this outfit were when I was trying to figure my way out of a jam I designed. I have a few of those Peco curved switches.

View attachment 136659

And thank you for your service, because you make us safe,and when I say that I am including the Uk, the US for years has been patrolling the seas,and the EU have failed to pay most of the money they owe, no wonder Trump a business man blew his lid.
We continue our allegiance with the Australian deal, much to the French ire - which honestly the Australians should have handled better. And (yes yes I know do not start sentences with ”and” with the Chinese and Russian pressures we may need people like you very soon. Although I wish our governments looked after their veterans better :(. The schemes for getting them work on civvie street are appalling and once you leave they pull the rug from you regarding any accommodation,as if risking your life is of no consequence….deep sigh.

Coming up on 2am in Wisconsin. So. Central Wisconsin is smack dab in the middle of 2 very different storm systems. 40 miles north of us is experiencing significant White Gifts from Above falling. South of us 60-70 miles Illinois is getting slammed by rain, high winds and tornadoes. Just read that a Amazon warehouse with staff inside got hit by a tornado, that is about 80 miles away in Edwardsville, Ill. We are in the lull of 37f degrees and a prediction between 3 and 4am that we will get the dreaded rain/snow mix.

I put away the pulpwood car weathering project for a few days. Took my recycling yard over to my workbench that I had just cleaned off. Took a bunch of pictures of the initial weathering but looked at the pictures and deleted them. Couldn’t tell as the bench light system made it look like everything bled together with no color separation. I have 5000c daylight LEDs behind the valance on the layout. I had plenty of light at the workbench, again 5000c daylight but bulbs not LEDS. I replaced the bulbs with a 4’ section of LEDS left over from the relighting project of a couple years ago. Too bright and washes everything out.

Getting goofy from lack of sleep again today. Hopefully I fade enough in the next 30 minutes to hit the pillows and stay there.

All of this area, the recycling center across the tracks and the machinery, over head crane and the 2 walls of the office are on the work bench. 1st up tomorrow will be doing something for the ground cover. Those trees on the hill in back actually is about 6’ from where the gondolas are.
AC8C75F3-8187-45B0-A002-FF53B4792D41.jpeg

pictured is some of the gondolas with scrap aboard
F70F20C8-D026-4F62-B8E2-57B2998BFB1E.jpeg
0C271E90-0D62-4060-9512-32C7F0E52C1A.jpeg

TomO

Coming up on 2am in Wisconsin. So. Central Wisconsin is smack dab in the middle of 2 very different storm systems. 40 miles north of us is experiencing significant White Gifts from Above falling. South of us 60-70 miles Illinois is getting slammed by rain, high winds and tornadoes. Just read that a Amazon warehouse with staff inside got hit by a tornado, that is about 80 miles away in Edwardsville, Ill. We are in the lull of 37f degrees and a prediction between 3 and 4am that we will get the dreaded rain/snow mix.

I put away the pulpwood car weathering project for a few days. Took my recycling yard over to my workbench that I had just cleaned off. Took a bunch of pictures of the initial weathering but looked at the pictures and deleted them. Couldn’t tell as the bench light system made it look like everything bled together with no color separation. I have 5000c daylight LEDs behind the valance on the layout. I had plenty of light at the workbench, again 5000c daylight but bulbs not LEDS. I replaced the bulbs with a 4’ section of LEDS left over from the relighting project of a couple years ago. Too bright and washes everything out.

Getting goofy from lack of sleep again today. Hopefully I fade enough in the next 30 minutes to hit the pillows and stay there.

All of this area, the recycling center across the tracks and the machinery, over head crane and the 2 walls of the office are on the work bench. 1st up tomorrow will be doing something for the ground cover. Those trees on the hill in back actually is about 6’ from where the gondolas are.
View attachment 136694
pictured is some of the gondolas with scrap aboard
View attachment 136695View attachment 136696
TomO
Love the loads

So... I've got asthma

I use an inhaler - but only as needed, which is maybe 6 times a year.

Wife's insurance includes one of those mail order pharmacies, but they send 3 mos at once.

Noticed I had only a couple months left on my #1 inhaler (I keep a spare, but try to get them 6 mos apart so the exp date is different). Normally, I have my Doc put in 1 mos supply ONLY no refills.

Because, the mail order can send up to 3 mos at once.

I sent the doc an email and asked for a renewal since one of my inhalers was about to hit the exp date ( maybe 30 doses used out of 200). I forgot to remind him to do one month only.

Not only did I get three months, I got an extra month! showed up today.

View attachment 136646
Expiration is only Mar of 2023.

ONE will last me more than that time. I didn't even use a full inhaler's worth of doses when I lived in wildfire and smog zones in Los Angeles.

These are not expensive, but I hate to wast three of them.

So I called, and am making a customer service rep work... I'm polite, and thanking her for her help... but sending four inhalers that are emergency use only doesn't make sense.

Amazingly, they're happy to refund me 3/4 of my $10 co-pay. They don't want to mess with taking them back. I can keep them. Oh Joy.

I swapped out the one inhaler that expires in Feb. I might get to swap the second one out before Mar of 2023. I forget the expiration on it. It's somewhere in 2022.

It's not that I want my $7.50 back... it's the idea that because they CAN send all four at once and bill the insurance for them, they will.

Take them back? Nope. Give me a paltry sum back to make me go away, sure.

Medicine in the USA is a racket.
It's an expensive racket, and will never change, the mighty dollar is, unfortunately, mightier than peoples health and well being. Thankfully we have the NHS. I've just ordered my next three months of medication (9 different meds) cost (because of my age) £0.00, and if I had to pay £7.85p

Good morning y'all. Where to begin?

Weather- Dark, damp, and foggy. But not as cold, high 50s right now. High near 70 with a chance of scattered showers.

Flo- My compliments on the coffee. Did y'all change brews? No? Must taste better because I'm drinking it out of my cup then.

Troy- Here, this might help with all of those chores you've been putting off.
round tuit.jpg

Willie- I know I'm late, but congrats on the new addition. May there be many years of happy railroading ahead between the two of you.

Everyone- Thank you for the likes and comments on my finds. I am pretty happy with them. Although, looking at the footprints of the 2 two houses make me think of Genie from Aladdin. "Itty bitty living space." LOL

I managed to squeeze in a repeat visit to the train shop where I bought the service station from, since it was in between two of my stops. I mean, it was on the way, so how could I not? Found a couple of things I had to have. I am now the proud owner of a Quonset Hut
262523099_644076223290681_4145359888237458037_n.jpg

and a Budweiser Brewery.

263816710_988886375390748_5578042280114438793_n.jpg

I'm not yet sure where to use either, but I'll figure it out. The brewery kit is missing parts, but it was also only $5, so it seemed like a worthy investment. Upon inspection, it is missing half of the stack for sure, but not sure what, if anything, else.

Even with the detour, I managed to finish my route 2 hours early, so I got home 2 hours earlier than normal. And it is good to be home. After spending the last two weeks in hotel rooms by myself, it was very nice to get to spend some time with my family before the day hit me like a freight train and put me down for the count.

I'm going to take my place in the corner and brainstorm ideas for the new models. Flo, can you send over a plate of bacon with some toast? Thanks.

Y'all have a blessed day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back