Running Bear's December 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jerry, among other things, those flatcars could carry turrets for ships, as well as the barrels to go in them.
As for the third gear shift, it was strictly to regulate the speed of the PTO. On that truck, it had a fertilizer spreader mounted. Nitrogen or ammonium pellets would be spread behind the truck as it drove around the fields.

I think I will use the chair in my living room to enjoy my coffee today.
8571F9DA-8901-4573-B4D5-699E97C88BFC.jpeg

Good Morning

C O N G R A T U L A T I O N S ! ! ! ! How wonderful to see a newborn. Hat tipped to proud Granddad SF Willie, and thanksgivings offered for mom and baby!

The deed is done and the ring given. Both are very excited and happy. No date set as a number of issues up in the air that should settle in a few weeks. My best-guess will be March but staying flexible.

Warm today with liquid precip forecast before a big snow event Friday into Saturday. Maybe 5 - 11 inches? ? ? ? The busy-ness of the season continues.

Tehrons? No, Teruns. Not it either. WHat's that word I'm trying to remember . . . . Tranez . . . . . . Oh, I remember . . . . Trains! "Through a mirror dimly"

Good Morning All. Clear and 57°, that's warmer than it was all day yesterday. Temperature started rising after the southerly winds blew the persistent fog away around 10:00 pm. Headed for a high of 80° today and tomorrow. I am letting the fire go out in the wood-burning heater so I can remove the ashes tomorrow. Always a more pleasant task without embers!
On tap today is the weekly grocery/beer trek into the big city. Added stops include Dollar General for household stuff, Post Office to pick up a package too big for the mailbox and stamps, Vitamin Shop for assorted goods and maybe even Home Depot. Since the mailbox is over a mile away, they do not leave packages.

Thanks for all of the likes and comments on the posts yesterday; Sherrel, Karl, Guy, Steve J, Chad, Christian, Rick, Patrick, Tom O, Joe, Gary, Hughie, Tom, Louis, IB Ken, James, OB Ken, Jerry, Jaz.

Good Morning Flo. Let me try some of that scrapple that Karl brags about along with a pair of over easy eggs.

Not exactly a great day out in the train shed yesterday. OK, but I spent too much time resolving problems of my own making.
First is a picture of the engine truck hanger that I repaired the other day.
102_1782.JPG

From there, I went to an unfinished area on the lower deck at the Magic Pan Bakery. This photo was taken before I added the upper level.
07-18-20 007 (2).JPG

The specific area that I need to complete is to the left by the storage tanks.
102_1784.JPG

But first I need to install the overhead LED lighting fixture. This took about 30 minutes.
102_1783.JPG

OK, went well until I went to plug in the power cord into one end.
102_1786.JPG

Whoops, that is the output end for when you string fixtures together! The other end is butting against a 1" x 4" so I had to uninstall and reverse it, hassle since it is under the upper deck. That set me back about 30 minutes.:mad:
That is now done and I vacuumed the area.
Whoops again as a part was unknowingly swept into the full vacuum. I spent another 15 minutes sifting through a lot of debris to find it.
Here it is after the rescue.
102_1785.JPG

At that point I called it quits and opened a cold one and just ran trains for a bit.

Patrick -
While 7-8pm isn't "late", when you get up at 3:30a the added hour and 10 minute drive does make it a "late" night.
My daughters asked me to stop coming to their high school basketball games because it was "embarrassing" to them when I leaned back and fell asleep around halftime.
Sherrel - Does one still have to take the Civil Service Exam to work for the Post Office?
Steve J - Both of my SIL's took my wife and me out to dinner and asked us for permission to marry their prospective brides. Wife had already instructed me to say yes which I intended to do anyway! I don't readily know whether my son asked his in-laws or not.
The oxide (rusting) that develops on nickel-silver rail is conductive. It's whitish in color.
Mikey - I can only dream of being talented enough to paint a sunset, let alone as good as Mother Nature can do.
Joe -
Not for nothing, what does it take to get certified to do state inspections?
Not much around here. High School kids do it at the place we have gone to for years. Drive around the block and check turn signals, lights and brakes. Sometimes they look at tires. Of course at state mandated $7.50 a pop, it isn't really a money-maker. No emissions test unless you live in a big city.
Tom O - I have been following your pulpwood car progress on a couple of threads and I can't tell you how realistic I think that you are making them. I don't see those kinds of cars here, but compared to pictures that I have seen, I can't tell the difference except the Kadee couplers!
I am not totally sold on the term limits thing, as I believe that experience can play a role in governing. I shudder to think what a scenario we would see if we had a whole Congress full of "The Squad" types. Then I look at the House Speaker and wonder?
Joe - Thanks for the well wishes. My wife still has a few medical issues to deal with, the chipped tooth with the temporary filling and a follow-up laser thing with the cataracts in one eye. Other eye is perfect though. However she is really enthusiastic about the newest replacement knee. Three days now without the Hydrocodone, just a week after surgery.
Ah yes! The SALT deduction reduction got you. That's not a real issue in Texas where there is no state income tax. My wife really doesn't do a lot of rich folks as they all employ accountants.
I do wish you well with the cold(?).

Everybody have a great day. Stay safe.

SFW, that front handrail has come outa the mounting hole next to the steps. The railroad safety board will ping ya for that one.
Congrats on the youngun. Should be lots of fun in a couple years. Until then, just a lot of body leaks that need to be cleaned up.

Only a couple days to go till the op session. Just have to run the vacuum cleaner around the basement and clean up the work desk then run the track cleaner train for awhile. Heck, I might just put some facia material up on the Canyon Diablo bridge section of the layout.

0122202123 (2020_11_17 02_20_59 UTC).jpg

That reminds me, I saw an article in the Dec 21 Model Railroader about John Vavra's inspiration to build the Diablo Canyon bridge, (page.38). I sent an email to MR to see if he would be interested in my notes from building my bridge.

Morning RR fans! 55F at this time and only going to be 58F for a high today under cloudy skies. Rain is in the forecast, but I think most of it will be North of us here. Thankfully, there is no snow!

I have been mostly up and certainly awake for near three hours already. The Spousal Unit is back out at her Mom's house where she will be for 5 more days. I went out there with the pups yesterday and took her some needed supplies.

I need to finish up with outside lights and a snowman set up in the yard today, otherwise, I will be chastised by the higher powers .
Here's a nice photo of a trio of GP-38-2's with out any clutter of poles, autos, or anything - just locomotives!

1639059133649.png

Morning all,

Currently 48° and going for a high 68° which may break the record high for this date.

Willie: Congrats to you and the family. Grandkids are our reward for not killing our kids...🤣 The wife and I were blessed with good kids in all seriousness.

Terry: Glad to hear you got a "new" vehicle. The automatic will save a bunch of wear and tear on the knees. Although not as much fun....

And what do you mean we gotta maintain a vehicle??? I never change the oil...🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 (He says after getting an oil change on his truck earlier in the week).

This is late as I thought I posted it a couple hours ago...

Good Morning!

First, another congratulations to Willie and family. Well done!

We here in the west, are looking at 18F with no more snow in sight for the next couple of days. In fact, we have a melt blowing in by Saturday. I'm feeling happy the snow has decided to move out east. It's your turn to shovel, and give me some rest and heal-up time.

I'm actually feeling a little bit low this morning, when I see some are working on the likes of intricate Diablo Bridge projects, and I'm still horsing around with a simple little DPM building. Due to that, this day will be the last set of progress photos on said building until it's finished; it's starting to get boring!

Yesterday, I finished gluing the last wall on, an put in the 2nd floor to give it some stability strength:
CoffeeShop_12-08-2021 (3).jpg

This is the original photo I'm using for the interior:
Diner 2.jpg

It don't print out onto card stock as bright as the original. I'm somewhat sad about that, but, I'm hoping the lighting building will help it out:
CoffeeShop_12-08-2021 (4).jpg

It's going to look like this, except the interior will be curved to the inside and lighted:
CoffeeShop_12-08-2021.jpg

I'm using that interior photo because the perspective really fits very well. Plus, I remember a popular coffee shop in my childhood town had that type of appearance.

Willie - A person has a 50/50 shot at getting the plug on the right end. I think I'm running about 80/20.
Sherrel - That's a fine pole-less photo like the style I'm trying to achieve on a regular basis. Darn poles just keep following me around, and they have lots of friends.

Well, I'd better get the dog walked if I want to start on anything else today.
Have a good one!

Good morning, y'all. Sunny with the Mercury hanging at 35°, and the cat is contently snoring, curled up in her bed in the next room.

My Doctor called me last evening to advise that the lab test was negative, I did not have Covid, and inquired how the treatment was going. I'm good to go. The meds are working, now, I need to figure out how to avoid becoming reinfected. ;)

Sherrel: Nice photo...Frisco was a good ray-road.

Willie: Congratulations, he's a fine little fellow. Best wishes for Mon, Son and Grandparents. ;)

Rapido PRR F30 flat cars are starting to arrive in stores.Looks pretty nice, although, I really don't need another flat car, and can live with my existing Bowser and Walthers fleet. Some of these were modified for Truck Train service, and later transferred to TTX. The X-31 Box cars are out, maybe one Santa will drop one off on my siding. :rolleyes:

Haven't posted a photo in a while, so here is one:
Conrail Coil loads at  Plymouth Meeting, PA 1990s - Allen Wood Steel.jpg

Conrail, mid 1990s, Plymouth Meeting, PA. Outbound Coils from Allen Wood Steel coming off the UMP RR Interchange. (Upper Merion and Plymouth). Note how the cars were loaded. From the ground the car would appear empty. John Almeda Photo.

No time to catch up right now, but had to share my latest finds.

07F77303-2439-48B3-8243-84698A57D06C.jpegC8AF3F3B-FF1A-45C5-B5B9-BAEA8EABB1C1.jpeg7D2DC9F0-1120-4F9E-A9F3-D00AA9DFC60B.jpeg

Figured at 40% off, why not buy a couple of houses.

And I couldn't pass up the Nova. I had a 77 and a 78 just like it. Minus the hatchback. Both of mine had trunks.

Check back in later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back