Running Bear's Coffee Shop XLVIII

Big E ..... I met Carey in person when I was in Alabama last August. I can attest he definitely is a good person. It is sad he has health issues which limit his activities at times.

One of his first things of order was that he is passing on his knowledge to me. I am truly humbled by his presence.
And he is dam sure a character of the first order!

Thanks guys, I really appreciate it. :eek: I figure that there is no reason not to pass on the knowledge that over 50 yrs in the hobby has given me. If it can help someone have more fun, less trouble with engines, cars and track, TEACH them problem solving techniques so they're not overwhelmed, TEACH them how to fix these problems so they can get their trains running well, I feel that I'm doing my job. You could say that it's my way of "paying it forward".

This is something that I feel that we all could be doing. If we all do it, maybe we can stop the loss of hobbiest's from this greatest hobby in the world!

While at Eric's, I showed him what he could do to make his turnouts more reliable. That included what to look for and how to fix bad joints, what is needed for banishing the majority of derailments, improving the reliability of the trackwork to where he can tell almost immediately if the problem is track related or car related. I'll even teach him to hand lay his own turnouts:p. (Just kidding Eric!)

PS; Had a blast going over there, and will definitely do so again, but it was a disaster coming home. Instead of coming home the same way I went, which involved some Ga backroads, I decided to save time and come back down I-75 to I-285 to I-20 and home. The Ga dept of Hiways decided to do some work on I-20 and it took me more than 45 mins, to move 2 miles on I285, and another 45 mins to go 5 miles on I-20 to get out of the construction zone. It wasn't helped by a trucker, who decided to help traffic move by hanging onto his horn for minutes on end! Not sure why he was doing it, as NO ONE was moving at that point. I thought it fitting that one of the Ga Troopers decided that he had enough and pulled him over!

Last edited by a moderator:
pouring_coffee1-Copy.png

TiptonDepotA-1.png

Good Morning!

Clear with a high of 49.

BLUECOFFEEMAN.png

TRAIN_ROUNDANDROUND.png

Tipton.gif

Temperature in Tipton IN

Good morning everybody!

46 with clear skies in southeast Baltimore.

It's great to hear about BigE and CJ getting together. Sounds to me like BigE knew he was in the presence of model railroad greatness.

My grandson and I had a fun day and productive too!

I hope everybody has a great day today!

Btw, been trying to find the latest news on N&W old steamers #917, #1118, #1134 and #1151....
Does anyone here knows what's been done to them so far?

Good morning. 36° and sunny, going to 41° today. Maybe the sun will melt the rest of the 6" snowfall we "enjoyed" yesterday morning:rolleyes: .

Last night was a bad night on ice as all three teams I regularly follow lost. :mad::(.

It was also a bad night on the boards, as Villanova found themselves out of the NCAA BB tournament :(:mad:.

Perhaps today, arthritis permitting, I will finish a Branchline box car kit, I've been procrastinating on for about a month now. All that remains, are finishing the details on and cementing the "B" end to the car body. Problem has been with the hand holding the tweezers :rolleyes:. Sort of puts a crimp on things, eh?

Enjoy this fine Sunday.

Morning gents. Gloomy and drizzly here today. Radar shows green all over here and well into CJ's neck of the woods. Good thing he came over yesterday instead of today.
I am slam out of food so I guess I'll head up to grocery store for some basics. Bread, butter, taters - maybe a steak.
The cat is giving me hell for some food as well.
My heart is pounding big time this morning so I'll dam sure be going slow.
This would be one of those times I wouldn't mind having a car and my license back. Alas....
If you all don't hear from me in a few hours, might want to call 911 for me. I have no cell phone so I won't be able to call.
I really don't want to do this walk but I need food so I'll do what I have to do.
E.

Safe and sound. I believe I prefer a full-on snow storm over cold drizzle rain. Cold rain cuts through me like a hot knife in butter.
I am chilled to the bone right now. I have half a mind to fill up my garden tub upstairs and soak. Us former Navy spec-ops guys love our water.
10 lbs of groceries on each arm sure does drag down the shoulders. I sure ain't built like I used to be.
I did forget to get the cat (he ain't my cat - really) some dry food. He's cleaned me out of everything. If weather permits and I feel like it, I'll amble back up and get him some food. Gees.... now I'm making myself feel guilty.
The heart rate is still high but it's not pounding like earlier so I'll be fine. I'll warm up a bit and head out again. I still need more groceries anyhow but I can only carry so much at a time.
E

Morning gents. Gloomy and drizzly here today. Radar shows green all over here and well into CJ's neck of the woods. Good thing he came over yesterday instead of today.
I am slam out of food so I guess I'll head up to grocery store for some basics. Bread, butter, taters - maybe a steak.
The cat is giving me hell for some food as well.
My heart is pounding big time this morning so I'll dam sure be going slow.
This would be one of those times I wouldn't mind having a car and my license back. Alas....
If you all don't hear from me in a few hours, might want to call 911 for me. I have no cell phone so I won't be able to call.
I really don't want to do this walk but I need food so I'll do what I have to do.
E.

Big E. ..... I urge you to call for help now if you have heart symptoms. ..... I am a heart patient. Take my word for it. If you live alone, get somebody there with you now. Seriously. ... Don't take a chance. ...

On another forum, which I'm a member of, we have a buddy list, where members has each other emails and phone numbers, just in case....
It has been handy a few times, I might add....

Be careful BigE!

Good morning folks.

It's cloudy and cool here these days. Highs in the 40's and 50's. That's actually normal for this time of year but we were teased with 60's and 70's a few weeks ago so it smarts a little going back to normal.

I haven't been in for a while but I hope everyone is well. I've been busy with work lately. I'm somewhat obsessed with it and need to check myself pretty soon. It's just the fact that I'm getting paid straight commission and it's really busy right now. Any day off I take can cost me a few hundred dollars. I'm enjoying getting ahead on my bills and putting some in the bank for a rainy day. That rainy day fund has been perilously low since leaving the clothing world six months ago. I guess I'm just making hay while I can. That being said, I have to make sure that I don't burn out either. As Mr. Miagi says to Danielson in "The Karate Kid", "Danielson, must have balance!":cool:

The trains are at somewhat of a stand still. I think it's because of that blasted Merchant's Row kit. I hate painting kits like that. I'm thinking I either need to set it aside and visit it later, or just finish it and remind myself that I don't truly hate anything model railroad related. Maybe on my next day off.

Have a good day everyone.

Good morning Shop dwellers.

Mid-30's with hazy sunshine here in central MD. At least that will help to melt off what remains of the Friday snow.

Eric - when I read your post on Friday evening, I was 95% sure I knew who your mystery visitor was. Your post from this morning confirmed it. I would always look forward to visiting with Carey whenever my family went to Alabama to spend a week at my sister-in-law's. Unfortunately, she and my wife became estranged after their mother's death and we haven't been back since. [Kinda sad, I was starting to think of the Birmingham area as a home-away-from-home.]

Garry - glad you liked the RailPictures shot I posted. Sure wish I could have ridden the Cap Limited, but my family moved to Maryland a little too late for that. The closest I ever got to it was seeing it pass by on an April 1971 railfanning trip to Harpers Ferry WV.

Not feeling very good this morning, coping with dizziness. Might be from the melatonin pills I took on Friday and Saturday night. I've been having problems with insomnia recently, and melatonin is suppose to help with that. Never thought an OTC supplement could have this powerful an effect on me. I'm hoping I'll have more energy later today so I can work on de-cluttering my trainspace.

On another forum, which I'm a member of, we have a buddy list, where members has each other emails and phone numbers, just in case....
It has been handy a few times, I might add....

Be careful BigE!

Yeah the buddy list is a good idea. It did occur to me when I moved here that I have no kin within a 4 hour drive so I gave my boss all my contact numbers. If something were to happen to in the middle of the night, no one would know until the body-rot smell started coming out. At minimum I should give all that kind of information to my landlord or my neighbor across the street who a retired police officer.

I'm willing to be in a buddy-list if you wish. Got nothing to hide really. I'm just a private person - pseudo hermit.
Guess I'll head back to the store and get some food for this cat. He's my neighbors cat but like to stay here with me. It's quiet. No drama. I can't blame him. I would to.
E

Well, might be handy, if someone suddenly falls off the face of earth around here, see what fellow forumites have to say, I'm all for it!

Big E. ..... I urge you to call for help now if you have heart symptoms. ..... I am a heart patient. Take my word for it. If you live alone, get somebody there with you now. Seriously. ... Don't take a chance. ...

What he said - ditto from me! I don't know how I missed seeing that in your earlier post. I asked my wife [an M.D.] about your symptoms and she says it might be atrial fibriliation, a condition that - if left untreated - could potentially cause a stroke.

Back