Running Bear's Coffee Shop XLV

Say Milwaukee Road 113,
The shot of the train climbing the grade and crossing the bridge sure reminds me of my steep grades too, well only one for now. I'll bet that is at least a 6% grade. I'm not sure if you get snow like that in your area but it's loaded with moisture, very cold and heavy and clings to everything. It's almost a wonder the Locomotive can even get traction going over that stuff. I wouldn't be surprised if the lead loco is used more to clear a path while the others push it as they pull the rest of the load behind them.

A recently departed friend who used to work on the Grand Canyon RR out of Williams, AZ., I believe it was, that line actually follows the contours, the ups and downs of the mountains with some fairly steep grades also, called me one afternoon a couple years back to inform me that the Diesel loco that was pulling the train through very similar type snow had to try four or five times, backing down and going back even father to get more of a running start to climb a similar grade as well as going around a curve just couldn't maintain traction on the first few tries! But finally on the 4th or 5th attempt they finally were able to pull the 8 so passenger coaches up the grade.

Hiya Gents,

We've got mild temps and light sprinkles here in central MD tonight, looks like tomorrow's gonna be a wet one [according to the hourly forecast on TWC]. Had to fulfill some family commitments these evening, so not much quality time in the trainroom. However, I did manage to get at least another 15 linear feet of track scrubbed down. Every little bit helps...

Jeffrey, looks like you were destined to be there for those other patients, keep up the good work!

My photo contribution for this evening is a passenger train; nothing as slick as the Zephyr, but it just begs to be modeled. The geep is doing all the pulling, the E unit is just there to provide a steam generator. I have a few Walthers Pere Marquette coaches in my roster, next op session I'll send a train like this one out just to keep things "interesting" for the crew of my local!:rolleyes:
9344.1210004628.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Evening All,

Did some house cleaning today and we ran to the Navy Exchange to get some early Christmas shopping done. Peggy came over with the kids after school and we all had supper before they headed home.

Tomorrow MOH has a doctor appointment first thing in the morning and I have a club business meeting during the evening. My Dad started his radiation treatments today for his prostrate cancer. They project him being done on 3 Jan, going 5 days a week. he said everything went smoothly today.

Hope everybody has a good night.

Curt: A guy I used to work with, use the radiation treatments for his prostate cancer. The treatment was successful, and the treatments were not debilitating. He was able to maintain his work assignment, and his side business while he underwent treatment. That's not to say it wasn't painless, he was hurting a bit after the treatment, but he was able to function. Hope your dads results are favorable.

Montanan: That photo of the 4877 was taken in South Amboy, NJ. on the North Jersey Coast Line. For many years, that was the engine swap location, until 1989, when the Electrification was extended to Long Branch. Great Photo. The GG1 was a classic.

Karl: Now that you survived your MRI, good luck with the Orthopedic Doc.

Ken: Love the Geep pulling the E and two C&O painted coaches. Perfect for 1970s B&O.

Spent the day doing yard work.....did I mention that I hate Leaves? The outside is almost completely winterized now. Supposed to be wet tomorrow, then get colder........
of course, the rain will bring down more leaves.

Have a good evening.

Joe

765_WalnutSt7E2_zpsc7f8f1b6.png

Good Morning! Today is Thu 11/6/14.

Cold, windy and rain with a high of 46. I have a club meeting later today.

BLUECOFFEEMAN.png

TRAIN_ROUNDANDROUND.png

Tipton.gif

Temperature in TIPTON IN

Good Moring Everybody!

52 with light rain in Baltimore, oh well, life can't always be sunshine and roses.

Once again great pictures everybody especially the B&O, but I am biased.

Have a great day everybody!

Hey Karl,

Let us know when you get the results of the MRI.

Can you believe I feel asleep during an MRI? I was younger then and working nearly 100 hours every week. I am a big man, back then 6'9" 328lbs 56" chest. I barely fit into the machine. It was before the open machines they have in some places now. It was so nice and cozy I just nodded off. They technician had never seen that before.

I use to stupidly say "I will have plenty of time to rest when I am dead" I almost made that happen sooner then need be.

Take good care of yourself everyone, nobody can do it for you and once the damage is done it's difficult to reverse, but I am working on it! Guys like Jeffery are my inspiration.

Greetings gentlemen....

Hope that you're all having a pleasant day so far....

As for the weather here in Glasgow, UK, it's
censored_zpsdbjx5nti.gif

1770.1327263107_zpsn1ftfl1j.jpg

Steep! It's only about 7 miles from Bayard to Mount Storm- for a crow. But this coal train needs to climb nearly 1000 feet on a very crooked piece of railroad, with multiple horseshoe curves...

I can only imagine!

2787.1304561582_zps4qmttyv3.jpg

On a cold day in the eastern Kentucky mountains, Norton, VA-bound through freight 65 rolls into Loyall behind five RS-3s. Much of the 8000 horsepower has been wasted on the mostly waterlevel run from Corbin, but those Alco 244 prime movers will be in full voice on the tough grades beyond Hagans, VA...

3678.1304561346_zpspedfztx2.jpg

After dropping its train (all empty hoppers) about two miles back at Harlan Junction, Extra 188 North and its "Little Woody" cab roll along the double track main of the Martin's Fork Branch on the last lap into Loyall---and then the crew can tie up...

3988.1304510394_zpszhaswxlm.jpg

A 76-car unit coal train bound for Canadys, SC is departing Appalachia after slowing through yard limits. Power today is five Alco RS-3s--nos. 175-154-180-173-187. The shot was taken from a bad ordered hopper sitting at the south end of the yard...

7706.1284837176_zpsmkhu5inm.jpg

Four Alco RS-3s and a single FA-2 front Corbin, KY-bound train 66 as it leaves Appalachia. To the left is the Southern yard at Intermont, which would be closed a few months later, with the site converted to a coal transloader...

3040.1284836985_zpsjtoafkxf.jpg

Four L&N RS-3s are serviced and m.u.ed for an evening Dorchester Junction Turn. The quartet will be hauling 5300 tons of coal and steel in a few hours---maximum tonnage for four of these units south of Loyall on the run toward Norton, VA...

Morning all. A little overcast today in the Northern Rockies, but we did start the day above freezing, 33 degrees. Here's something that could do some pulling.

attachment.php

I can't wait to see 4014 when she comes out of the shops. I know a couple of people in Cheyenne who are quite familiar with the rebuild project. One rumor that is disappointing is that the 3985 is in bad shape with boiler problems and may not hit the rails again and all work will now be concentrated on 4014. I have ridden behind both 3985 and the 844 on steam excursion trips. It would be a shame if 3985 can't be restored to operation.

Good morning .

Not all CB&Q trains were Zephyrs as is the case with this local passenger train in 1960.

CBQ244_zps92266164.jpg

It's.......ALIVE!!!!!!! A little rough in spots but it runs fairly smoothly. Only hiccup was when I realized I had two sets of feeders wired backwards. A quick switcharoo and we were in business. I'm surprised it ran so well without cleaning the track after sitting dormant for a year and a half.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Corey- Congratulations. I have made that mistake several times before..Oops! I have got to the point that when I do wiring now I have a color coded schematic to refer to.

Good evening everybody.

Corey ... Glad its alive.

Terry ... Ha Ha

Last edited by a moderator:

Back