Running Bear's Coffee Shop XLIV

Evening All,

Had leftovers for supper tonight. We did indeed go furniture shopping today. We now have 2 new couches and a chair being delivered in 2 weeks. I told MOH that tomorrow the first thing I am doing is ballasting. It will probably take about 2 hours to finish it.

Corey- Congrats on your first sale.

Terry-
I hope your wife is doing well.

Jeff-
I hope you are doing well also.

Here is the mirror project completed

IMG_1572_zpscad8f7c0.jpg

Hope everyone has a good night.

POUR_COFFEE1-Copy.png

Good Morning!

Today is Tue 10/28/14.

Rain with a high of 67. Headed to Kokomo later today.

BLUECOFFEEMAN.png

TRAIN_ROUNDANDROUND.png

Tipton.gif

Temperature in TIPTON IN

Good morning Everybody!

55 with cloudy skies in south east Baltimore.

Redskins beat the boys! Another classic battle in a classic rivalry. Thank God for the DVR!

No marque pitching match up for game 6, but I hope it's fun to watch.

Jeffery I hope all is well

Great picture Jan, thank you.

Have a great day everybody!

Good morning!

Louis - as a former 'Skins fan until the Ravens came to town, I always love to see them whup the Cowboys!

Corey - congrats on your first sale!

Got a little bit more ballasting done last night, hit another "speed bump" when I discovered a huge gap between two sections of sub-roadbed that I kept saying I'll fix later. Well, "later" finally arrived - I couldn't put ballast over the gap, so I had to cover it. That part was easy, but then I had to hunt down some earth-colored paint to cover the masking tape - which used up nearly half of my available 2-hour time slot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good Morning! 54°, and sunny this morning. Going to 73°.

I had more satisfaction watching Pittsburgh kick Irsay's Colts butt on Sunday, but I'll take a Redskin win over the cowboys any time.

My layout is an "Out and Back" layout which uses a reverse loop. Initially, I used a Double throw -double pole toggle switch to reverse current when the train cleared the first insulated joint. As long as I was paying attention, the operation worked well. I have since automated the process using a "auto reverse switch". Here in is the problem. While this works fine for single units, my longer steam locomotives tend to short out and trip the breaker when they bridge the gap. I have not run a diesel consist through it yet, but I imagine the results may be the same. My first thought is to move the gaps further away from the switch (turnout) that divides the loop. Any ideas?

Have a great day!

Joe

Good Morning! 54°, and sunny this morning. Going to 73°.

I had more satisfaction watching Pittsburgh kick Irsay's Colts butt on Sunday, but I'll take a Redskin win over the cowboys any time.

My layout is an "Out and Back" layout which uses a reverse loop. Initially, I used a Double throw -double pole toggle switch to reverse current when the train cleared the first insulated joint. As long as I was paying attention, the operation worked well. I have since automated the process using a "auto reverse switch". Here in is the problem. While this works fine for single units, my longer steam locomotives tend to short out and trip the breaker when they bridge the gap. I have not run a diesel consist through it yet, but I imagine the results may be the same. My first thought is to move the gaps further away from the switch (turnout) that divides the loop. Any ideas?

Have a great day!

Joe

Lengthen the reverse section so the entire consist will be on the reverse section. If not, you will continue to have problems.

Hey Ken,

'sings' Hail to the Redskins, hail victory...

I have been following the skins since 72 when the Baltimore Colts failed to make the playoffs, 5-9 with Johnny U, how could that happen?

George Allen and "The Over the Hill Gang" caught my attention. I followed them all the way to the super bowl, damn fish!

The Redskins have been my number 2, number 1 and number 2 again NFL team again.

A lot of fans in Baltimore love to hate the skins, that just makes being a Redskins fan in south east Baltimore all the better.

Ravens Redskins super bowl would be perfect.

Does Walthers or somebody still have the Mantua Super Bowl Train every year? I never liked those trains.
Actually I did like the train, it was the Indianapolis Colts boxcar I did not like.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good morning folks.

It's cold, cloudy, and windy today. It must be driving the "no leaves on my lawn" people crazy! I laugh at people trying to keep every last leaf off their lawn. I just mulch them up and take my free fertilizer!

My first car sale was to a 91 year old gentleman that you'd swear is no older than 80. I found him a brand new Nissan Rogue that had just enough of the things he wanted in a car and nothing more. Nobody could believe he'd want a vehicle without all the computer crap, big wheels, or a sunroof. This tells me that there are sales people that just don't listen to what some people want. A few of the young guys said that they don't bother talking to the old guys since they take too long. I told them that they wouldn't last very long selling men's clothing, that's for sure. This guy came in telling me he was going to Honda to buy another CRV. By the end of me listening to him talk about his life and other things he told me that he doesn't like the Honda salesmen because they only want to sell him a car and end the relationship right then and there. I'm happy that I was right in my thinking that selling is selling, no matter what the product!

I'm working at a Chevrolet, Nissan, Volkswagon dealership so I have quite a few cars to learn. It's like biting off half a sandwich and trying to chew it without choking! Oh well, I didn't know everything I know about clothing in two weeks. Fake it till you make it!

I think I'm going to really like having this second day off whether I make good money this year or not. Who knows, I may have a train running by the end of the day!

Have a good day everyone.

113- Reason I asked, have pictures of her at Preston station at night taken 8 years ago. Kept pictures but lost British modeler.
Phil

Great job Corey, keep listening and you will keep selling.
You need 2 days off a week, an occasional 6 or even 7 day week is acceptable, but not every week!

My previous employer told me I'd work more "at first" when I helped him buy the store. Well, "at first" ended up being the entire two years I worked for him. Six days a week, mostly open to close! I'm so happy to being doing something else. When I even think about that guy it raises my blood pressure. Everything happens for a reason!

Lengthen the reverse section so the entire consist will be on the reverse section. If not, you will continue to have problems.

Terry: The reverse loop is long enough to hold a 16 car coal train, with either a two or three unit diesel consist, or a BLI Reading T1 and tender, plus cabin car, between insulated joints, so there is no room to further lengthen the reverse section. FWIW, I ran a train of that description, pulled by the steam loco, around the loop without issue. The problem cropped up, when I ran the lite steam loco and tender in reverse (tender leading), to turn it. the tender crossed over the insulated joint and the system overload tripped. When I was using the manual toggle switch, everything worked, without electrical issue. With the DCC auto reverse switch wired in things happen........From what I understand, and I could be wrong, the momentary short when the lead wheel crosses into the "reversed polarity", the "short" is what triggers the polarity to reverse in the isolated portion of the loop.

Joe

Back