Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good afternoon Rail Workers,

Hi Flo and Francine, Francine, I'd like a large bowl of Mulligan Stew and about four slices of dark Pumpernickel bread and coffee of course. Thanks.

2:13 PM PDT on September 30, 2017 (GMT -0700) | Updated a few seconds ago
74° F - Feels like 73.6° & Sunny;
Wind NW at 4.5 & Gusts to 4.9 mph;
It's 79° for a high & going for a low of 54°;

Today is forecast to be Cooler than yesterday.

Garry, I'm glad you liked that photo. One of the best things about Facebook is the old photos people post.

David, I don't know what engine that is, but I will go with your "I think" over my guess, I'll bet you are right.

That turntable was only about 10 miles from where I live.

Louis: I'n not sure either but know I have a brass Ma & Pa 2-8-0 and I'm fairly certain it's a Baldwin. I know the one in the photo is a 2-6-0 but the steam domes and general boiler appearance look the same.

Good morning y'all. 60° and sunny.

Not for nothing David, It was designed to grate on some of us. People do things to get reactions from others all the time. This particular set of circumstances struck a raw nerve with many people. However, one of the things that makes our nation unique, is the ability to express ourselves, without fear of imprisonment, which was common in the 18th Century. It is easy to listen to someone we agree with, it is much harder to listen to someone with whom we disagree.

Toot: Some of the convicts you speak of were just folks who disagreed with the establishment. Shipping them to a penal colony half way around the world was simply less messy than beheading them.
The Crown gave William Penn a large chunk of North America, (Pennsylvania and Delaware), so that the Brits could be rid of the Quakers, a passive-aggressive sect, that wouldn't keep their mouths shut.
He then gave some of the same land to Lord Baltimore, (Maryland), to rid himself of some troublesome Roman Catholics. Never mind that the same land also was claimed by the Swedes and Dutch.
As we approach the 500th anniversary of the Reformation, we are reminded of how dissidents were handled back then.

View attachment 63281
Back to railroad subjects, this is the Reading Company station at Essington, PA, back in the 1960s. If memory serves me correctly, Model railroader Magazine published plans of this structure back in the '60s.

This station locates at the Eastern limits of my theoretical model railroad (staging area).

Have a great day.

Joe: It sure seems there is a lot more discord about individuals patriotism than would seem appropriate.

I liked the picture of the Essington station and pulled it into my photo editing program and enhanced it so it's a lot more visable. If you want I can email you a copy of the corrected station.

Good Morning Everyone. 63° and partly cloudy. Only made it up to 73° yesterday, but back to the mid-80's today and at least through the next ten days. Stopped sprinkling and the grass dried out enough that I did some mowing late yesterday, will do some more later today. All of my cats disappeared Tuesday night, but several reappeared last night. They are really offspring of a neighbors cat(s) so maybe they went visiting. I currently have five gray cats, two males about six months old and three undetermined about two months. The younger ones mama visits occasionally and we're hoping that some of them follow her back home. None of them except one of the older males is catchable unless I use the trap.
Trainwise, I worked on the chain link fence that I am assembling; but part of it didn't work out correctly so I had to cut some off. The ensuing joint will be masked by a building so not a big deal. I am also starting an additional barbed-wire fence that I need to complete an earlier scene. Painted some of the detail parts that I am using and installed a couple of mailboxes, a wind vane, a birdbath and added two cats to one of the porches of the houses that I posted yesterday. I am getting closer to accomplishing something that has taken several years to do, completing fascia to backdrop scenes larger than 2 sq. ft. I completed the train shed in the fall of 2011 and spent most of the time since then, building benchwork and laying roadbed, track and wiring to the point that I am at now. Of course working/commuting 60 hours a week for many years cut into my time when I wasn't gardening! No excuses now!

Thanks for the comments on the houses, Garry, Chet, Johnny, Curt, David and anyone else that I may have missed. Just wait until I am done with the whole scene, I'll get more pictures then.

David - Only the first home is styrene, it's a Walther's kit called "Aunt Lucy's House, made for them by Pola. The other two are laser-cut wood structures; I don't remember right now who made the second one, but the third one is "The Drinkwater Place", made by American Model Builders. Looking closely at the first one, you can see Aunt Lucy sitting with her beau on the porch, that's the one that I added the cats to that I described earlier in this post.

All right now, everybody have an awesome weekend.

Willie

Willie: It will be interesting to see how they turn out.

When you talk about mowing the grass, are you referring to mowing using the a riding tractor? I rather assume so. I haven't attempted to do any mowing yet with my tractor as the field grass is still too dry, I think, even though I got over half an inch of rain. I think it would make all kinds of chaff and I hate that along with the fact I supposedly have allergies. So I put off mowing till after the next rain.

Tony: Good to see you posting again!

I hope everyone has a good as well as safe weekend.

Hello Gang.:(
I know I've been absent for like the last 70 pages. Life has shoved a cruel twist on me. Me and the wife went away for a weekend to Ocean City, where 30 minutes into arriving there, my wife of 10 years informed me she wanted a divorce. Her reason? She just doesn't love me anymore like a wife should. :confused: I suggested therapy, she refused. I've known her since we were 18, and 28 years since out 1st date we were married. You think I might have known her better. Needless to say the entire family is in an uproar and shock. Her parents aren't talking to her, her kids are pissed, and by proxy the grandkids . My boys are also upset, they looked upon her as more mother than their birthmother.
Needless to say, I haven't felt like going down the basement since. At least I will be able to keep the house.
KenL, Louis, Sherrel & Terry, you all have another way to reach me if you need to.

Karl: That is a cruel twist, sorry to hear that...Sometimes life really sucks. This is one of those times. Good luck, my friend. Hope things work out for you.

Joe: It sure seems there is a lot more discord about individuals patriotism than would seem appropriate.

I liked the picture of the Essington station and pulled it into my photo editing program and enhanced it so it's a lot more visable. If you want I can email you a copy of the corrected station.

David: What constitutes Patriotism is very subjective. It's all in how you look at it. I can use a clean copy of the photo, PM me, when you get a chance.

Gees Karl,
That blows!
Sort of reminds me like my first wife and her thin excuse of wanting a divorce.
Her answer (to me) was that she "just don't want to be married anymore."
Of course I chased around for a LOOONNNNGG time afterwards trying to figure out what I did wrong or what I didn't do at all. After about 5 years I gave up looking for an answer.
I know once she dropped that bomb on me, I didn't speak to her but maybe a couple words a week and became an intense workaholic of the first order sometimes working 2 days straight.

I wish you good luck.
E.

Karl, that is one hell of a bombshell, a life crisis. All you can do is try to ride it out as best you can. Hope for the best while going along. Don't try to push her, or reason with her, just go with the flow. Whatever the cause of her wishes, will soon reveal itself. From there, it'll be time for decisions.

Just had a huge Win10 update come through, now I've got to reset my personalisation's. Scrolling is going at turbo boost speed. Now to remember what I did way back when.

Karl: Sorry to hear that, it always seemed to me you both had a very good relationship. It's hard to understand why things happen as they do sometimes and this time was one of them.

That's why I'm rather leary of jumping into anything too serious.

As your aware, you have plenty of friends here in the forums.

Last edited by a moderator:
Karl, I'm shocked, I can't imagine how you must feel. That came out of nowhere, life can blind side us.

Ok, you got knocked for a loop, get your balance and do what you do. Try to focus on being dad/granddad and doing your job.

Don't let this change the way you feel about yourself. You are a great person and don't forget it. The tree is judged by the fruit, look at those kids and grandkids, you are a great tree.

We can't worry about things we don't control.

Maybe it is just some kind of mid-life crisis or something else we don't understand.

I'm here is you need me.

Just had a huge Win10 update come through, now I've got to reset my personalisation's. Scrolling is going at turbo boost speed. Now to remember what I did way back when.

King Toot, updates are your best defense against all this malicious software.

An update on the Win10 update. A very large one as I said, with a lot of new features to learn about. To fix my mouse's weirdness, I went into settings for that device to hopefully get it back to workable, only to have, part way into it, the whole page freeze (apparently) and the pointer stop moving. Tried to get it to respond with the direction keys, without success, so did the 3 finger salute, also not getting anywhere, so forced the machine off. Had bought a new mouse some time ago to replace that one, so took the opportunity to change it and it's dongle for the new one. On starting the machine up again and switching on the new mouse, it went through it's installation and the scroll speed returned to as per normal. Seems maybe the battery in the old one may have gone flat, just at the inopportune moment to throw a red herring across my trail, or, I dun'no what.

...Her answer (to me) was that she "just don't want to be married anymore."

E.

That was the exact same thing my first wife told me in 1979, word for word. I was on active duty and on an unaccompanied tour on Okinawa when she delivered that to me. I had two toddlers in the mix to deal with too. I took a hard look at what I was doing in life and after about a year and a half of discovering what a detached jerk I was, I met my second wife Carolyn. That turned into an awesome marriage of 20 years until she died in my arms of cancer.
There is life after divorce. The main thing is to "honestly" and "humbly" look at yourself and come to terms with what you may have done to contribute to the downfall of the marriage. I discovered that I wasn't honoring my wife as I should have. I was far from it. As I learned how to honor my second wife, in all ways, she became an even more devout and deeply loving wife to me.

King Toot, updates are your best defense against all this malicious software.

I noticed while it was going along, there was quite a bit of time spent on security updates. The machine shut down and restarted several times, was a couple of hours all up. The computer has been doing some odd things for a while, nothing drastic, just odd. I have noticed before with Win10, anomalies like this when an update is about to appear and haven't righted till after.

An update on the Win10 update. A very large one as I said, with a lot of new features to learn about. To fix my mouse's weirdness, I went into settings for that device to hopefully get it back to workable, only to have, part way into it, the whole page freeze (apparently) and the pointer stop moving. Tried to get it to respond with the direction keys, without success, so did the 3 finger salute, also not getting anywhere, so forced the machine off. Had bought a new mouse some time ago to replace that one, so took the opportunity to change it and it's dongle for the new one. On starting the machine up again and switching on the new mouse, it went through it's installation and the scroll speed returned to as per normal. Seems maybe the battery in the old one may have gone flat, just at the inopportune moment to throw a red herring across my trail, or, I dun'no what.

Might be something to do with being south of the equator. The mouse devices are made in the north. :cool:

Good Morning All. 66° and sprinkling some more. Over the last three days, it has amounted to less than .25"; just enough to get your shoes wet when walking about. It wasn't and still isn't in the forecast for either day! Did some more mowing in the afternoon when the grass dried from the overnight showers. About a third of an acre on the NW side of the yard that needed it the most, even though it's the least visible of the areas that I mow. All around me, the local farmers are planting their winter wheat crops right now. Unfortunately the guy who farms the field less than 30 yards south of my house plowed and then came back two days later and planted when the wind was blowing in my direction. Easy enough to keep the dust and chaff out of the house and train shed, but the pool got a double dose that I am still cleaning out before I can get the cover on. He plowed while it was still warm enough to use the pool is the reason the cover wasn't already on.
Started installing the chain link fencing on the layout yesterday after painting it Friday. Some snags to overcome so it will take me longer than expected. I still need to make two more sections to complete this area. I tried a different method for making the fence this time. I usually put the posts in the ground and then come back and attach the fencing with CA. Very tedious and time consuming as I have to wait for the CA to set up before moving to another post. This time, I attached the posts to painters tape and glued the fencing to them. Easy enough, but a lot harder to install. For fencing I use tulle, otherwise known as wedding veil material, cut carefully in diagonal strips. For posts I use some stiff .015 wire that was excess junk from where I used to work. Meanwhile I also painted a few other details etc. Mostly ran trains yesterday though, because I hadn't run any in a few days.

Chet - That's a drag about the car. It's good that the shop owner is so committed to his customers though. Yes, things are moving along on the layout for a while. Many times I have good intentions and end up doing a couple of local switching runs and all of a sudden I'm out of time! On the other hand, I'm not up against any kind of deadline like a job. Your workbench is cleaner than mine!!!;) Nice looking job on the shell there.
Karl - Sorry to hear about your unfortunate turn of life's events. It pretty much sucks. I hope that things turn out favorable for you whichever way they go. Remember that you have friends here.
David - Yes, I use a riding tractor, a 27hp with a 52" mowing deck. The push mower for three acres got old really quickly about 35 years ago. By the way, I checked out the manufacturer of the center home that I posted a few days ago, it is "The Albion" made by Laser Art Structures division of Branchline Trains. It's one of two structures that I have from them.

Well, my plate is full at Mass today: Ken's wife, Bruce and the shingles, Karl's life, Phil's hurricane recovery, Ken in VA and his family and for a good reading for Eric on Wednesday. And all hurricane victims in general. Hope that everyone joins me in your own way.
Everybody have a great day.

Willie

Good morning everybody ....

Karl .... I've been wondering where you were. Now, I am very sad for you. That is very bad news. I encourage you to continue commenting here in the forum because your friends here really to care about you. Take care of yourself. Also, it will be good for you to stay active in model railroading. Through my own experiences, I have learned our hobby is good for sanity breaks during difficult times.

Ken D&J ..... That was good of you to share some of your own experiences. You obviously are a good person.

Morning fellers. Nothing new to report here. Cool start to the day. Bout to head out to my stomping grounds in southern West Virginia. Who knows I may take some pics for y'all.

Sent from my LGLS675 using Tapatalk

Good Morning. A cool start for the day at 38 degrees after have rail all night, but the skies are clearing up.

Karl - I am feeling so bad for you. What a bummer. The same thing happened to a good friend years ago after 18 years of marriage. After some time, he ended up being a lot happier person and was able to find a wonder woman. I sure hope the best for you.

My wife had a fun time yesterday. They were supposed to have a mid size sedan for her at the car rental place, but the only one that had was just returned and she would have to wait a couple of hours before the car would be ready. The offered her a Grand Caravan at the same price and she took it because she still had a number of errands to run. I think she hates technology in new cars as much as I do. The car was parked in the very furthest part of the airport that it could. She got in and couldn't het it started. There was no place to put the key in to start. After a while she got on YouTube and found that one of the fobs on the key ring was a "laser key". She wants her own car back.

I did manage to get a little more work done on the F-3. Had a vocabulary refresher course getting the decals applied to the body.

IMAG1258.jpg

It sure was a lot easier doing this kind of work 25 years ago. Next comes installing the hand rails, grab irons and MU hoses. I have dozens of tubes of tiny drill bits but, of course, I can't find the correct size for the hand rails. May have some more but will require some looking.

Still having some problems downloading photos. Some work, and some don't. ?????? It was a fun trip over the pass last night as it was coming down in buckets. Don't like driving at night in the rain any more. Getting old can be a pain.

Later.

Just tried to download some photos from the club last night and it was a no go.

Good Morning Everyone:
WOW - Things here are moving faster than in the circles of Government!

Karl - I am so very sorry for you. (been there-done that) I'm not going to try, at this time, to add much to what all the others have said.
We are all here to help in whatever way we can - just don't forget that!

Chet - Nice work on the f-7! I'm kind of dumb about many things, but exactly whatis a winterization hatch used for?
Sorry about the car not being ready - what a pain - just hope that they did a nice job on it?

Willie - Sure enjoy reading your posts. You really have a way with your words!

I'm back on the mend again - I hope! That was a really miserable 3.5 days that I had. Seems that I am always trying to claw my way back from something ... getting rather tired of it .. something needs to change.
It's been rather warm all week - finally getting a break the last couple days. Reached 97 here on Friday.
That is all for now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back