Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Louis: That was one awesome Locomotive. Shame it failed. It was intended for the C&O Chessie Streamliner, that never got off the ground either. N&W Powhattan Arrow, and B&O Cincinnatian proved that there was no market for a deluxe day train between DC/Tidewater VA and Cincinnati.

Boris, it sure was impressive! After doing some reading I see the technology was promising, but they never could overcome the problem of inefficiency at low speeds.

Louis - impressive C&O M1 photos. And where did you find that NYCentral ad you posted a few days ago?

Johnny,
if I am not mistaken I believe that picture came from Facebook. I think that ad came from a NYC fan's Facebook page. One of the things I love about Facebook is all the railroad pages.

Time for me to get ready for court.

Some of you may remember I got a parking ticket many weeks ago. I am hoping since the officer put the wrong address on the ticket I should get off. Not to mention I was parked in a loading zone. Either way I am brining my check book.

Have a great day Everybody!

The biggest unsurmountable problem with the steam turbines was the erosion of the turbine blades from the coal ash.
Nearly everything else could have been overcome, but when you have to effectively replace the main power generator every "few" thousand miles, it made the entire concept uneconomical in the extreme.
A coal turbine passenger engine wouldn't have had so much of the negative effects from the low speed inefficiency, since they would have spent relatively low time in that range.

Good morning. We're at 37 degrees with a rain snow mix to start off the day. The high is only expected to be 40.

The news out of Las Vegas is horrible. Like shooting ducks in a barrel. Prayers for all down there.

Talked to Ken in MD last night and he wanted me to say hello to everyone on the forum. He just has so many things going on that he hasn't had time to get on the forum. He's just fine, but very busy at the moment.

Louis - I really like the photos of the C&O steam turbine. That locomotives always interested me. I have seen a number of photos of it, but never the ones you poated. Thanks for the post. Good luck with the judge.

Curt - The engine house is really coming along. Waiting for more photos of the finished scene. Nice work.

Thanks for the comment of the F-3. I am happy with the color match of not only the 2 locomotives, but also that they are a very close match to the Walthers North Coast Linited cars. The original dark green on the Stewart unit was way off.

Still can't figure out why some photos aren't downloading, but here's the rail photos for the day.

trains-railroad_00389817.jpg

Later

Good Morning All. 66° and clear, sun's just about up. Didn't get much done either around the house/yard or the train shed yesterday, as we had company for a bit between 11:30 and 3:00. Doesn't happen too often since we're quite out of the way for most. A late lunch of grilled brauts and beer was enjoyed by all. I guess that the NFL played? Must have missed it!
I did get a little time in the train shed late and worked on fencing some more. Wasn't too inspired though, so I ran some trains for a while even though I had done it earlier for our visitors.

Chet - I can relate about some things that were easier 25 years ago, I can remember (barely) being able to install Kadee coupler springs without my "Optivisors"! Continued kudos on the F3 though.
Sherrel - Snails move faster than the circles of government! And they don't move in circles either.;)
"I can fly just about anything if I can figure out how to get the damn thing started!"
So, did you ever lose the keys to a 747???
Curt - The shop continues to look really good. Regarding the interior sign; I add details like that to many buildings, pictures, clocks and calendars on walls etc; only to find later that they are not visible. Matter of fact I have a bar with 20+ people with tables and chairs inside and can only actually see 4-6 of them if I squint! But I know that they are there and I continue to add those details.
Louis - Pretty impressive steam turbine.
David - It is a Craftsman GT6000.
Terry - How did the coal ash get inside the steam turbines to erode the blades?

Everybody have a great day. Pray for the Las Vegas victims.

Willie

Willie, the steam exhaustead along with the ash (cinders) just like a convention steam locomotive. It was a very fine grit, but even with the best firing, there would still be ash.

Good Morning: 77 will be the high today - down from the 90's two days ago. Mostly clear, but a 10% chance of a shower? I have no idea where that might come from!

Louis - Enjoyed the pics of the monster. Not too long ago I was reading either an old MR or RMC which had a few of those pics and HO scale drawings of such.
Good luck with the court appearance. I think you will win your case. Standing by to hear.

Karl- continued prayers for your situation. As others have said - Don't beat yourself up! It takes two to make a marriage and it takes two to mess it up. Need to get her to talking but don't push it too fast.

Ken D&J - continued prayers for your quagmire as well. I truly hope that the granddaughter is receptive to some help.

Chet - snow the first of October? Could be a humdinger of a winter. Did you get the tires changed on your autos? Waiting to hear about the car repaint. Nice photo of the double crossover.

Willie - Wasn't trying to imply that government moves fast - just that "happenings" (such as now) the LV shooting+ three hurricanes+ Price's firing+ NK + everything else ... cannot get one fire put out before another pops up.
Never lost the keys, but had to search for the "start" button a few times. We had 7 different models of the 707 - took a while before they were all "standardized". Then "stuff" got moved around again when the doppler units were added for the International flights.

Back later - have a few projects that were on hold all last week.

Sherrel - I did post about the car on Saturday. They did a great job on the hood and rear quarter panel, but forgot to paint the front bumper. We were in the office to pick the car up and I just happened to be leaning on the work order and pointed it out to the owner. He was not happy at all. He is furnishing my wife with a rental until the job is finished, hopefully on Tuesday. ow

So far as snow goes, we had some a couple of weeks ago also. Rather late. I can remember pulling my tomato plants out of the garden the first day of September and hanging them in the basement to ripen. We have also set off 4th of July fireworks for the kids in a snow storm.

Just got an email from ebay saying I had won an auction. I had been looking for a transfer caboose for quite a while and ended up with a Buford Shops undecorated bay window transfer caboose. I have never purchased any of their models, but from what I could see, they seem to have decent detail. Hope I got a good by at $29.

Later

Terrible happening in Las Vegas. My thoughts go out to the victims and their families.

Chet: You'll like the Buford Shops' transfer caboose. I have one for the Milwaukee Road and the other a C&NW. You're price was right at $29.00. One has a Dust Monkey installed.

Louis: Good luck on your Parking Ticket. Some times the warning signs are worded or displayed wrong and that can be used as a defense in court.

Down to the train room this afternoon...garage door shopping tomorrow. Two new locomotives been in the their boxes for over a year and its time to give them a run. A MR&T (Model Railroader's layout) and Minnesota, Northfield and Southern, both GP38-1's with DCC and sound. I need to start running new locomotives after I purchase them and not wait for a year or so to run them be positive they operate fine.

May start a sound and DCC installation in a steamer.

That's all for now.

Greg

I'm glad so many of you enjoyed the photos of the C&O M1 It was another Facebook find.

Thanks for the additional information Terry, I had not read that.

In court, I lost, but the judge reduced the fine from $102 to $10 at least I got something for my time. I still felt like I should have been not guilty, but considering the reduced fine I kept my mouth shut, no east task for me.

Well ... I for one am proud of you, Louis. That's BS as far as I can tell. The judge knew you were in the right, but he needed to save face for the "ticket man" who wrote the ticket. It was at least worth your time to make an appearance - at least you had the smarts not to argue your point.

Afternoon fellers. I figured I would share my latest eBay purchases that I received in the mail today. I ordered them separately at different times and days. They all came in together today. I purchased a set of couplers for my Atlas U-boat. I couldn't go on without a depot so I purchased one that should fit in my available space. And of course some more structures.
587a227b200a2ac2d508f2537c4e57c4.jpg
866d30eb06132c5138a49318aa0058e1.jpg
7d4ce46a0f94a82f83e0272e68f37b41.jpg

Sent from my LGLS675 using Tapatalk

Justin, I just remembered I was saving a Chessie Geep for you.
Did you still want it?

Justin, I just remembered I was saving a Chessie Geep for you.
Did you still want it?
I had forgotten all about it!!!! I think I spent about as much on my stuff as you are asking for the Geep. May be a week or two before I can buy it. I'll have to remember next time.

I had forgotten all about it!!!! I think I spent about as much on my stuff as you are asking for the Geep. May be a week or two before I can buy it. I'll have to remember next time.

I can set a calendar reminder so I can remind you.

There are two ways you can tell you're getting older.

The first is, you keep forgetting things.

The second one is... umm...
Uhh...
Let me get back to you on that...

Well ... I for one am proud of you, Louis. That's BS as far as I can tell. The judge knew you were in the right, but he needed to save face for the "ticket man" who wrote the ticket. It was at least worth your time to make an appearance - at least you had the smarts not to argue your point.

Sherrel, that is exactly what I was thinking, well maybe something more than just BS, but I decided I would just shut up and pay $10.

I once had a $25 seat belt ticket that I managed to turn into a $100 fine and got threatened with contempt of court. I seldom make the same mistake twice.

Afternoon All,

Did some chores this morning then we did a grocery run at Wally World. Today in the train room I made the 3 skylights. To say they were a pain is putting it mildly, but I got it done. I also braced the underside of the roof to keep it from warping since it is cardboard.

Justin-Good luck with the AM building. I tried one and ended up throwing it away I was so frustrated with it

Louis- Awesome picture.

Garry- Thank you.

Joe- Thank you.

CA Dave- Hope you get your phone problems fixed quickly.

Chet- Thank you. Today's track shot is one of your best.

Willie- Thank you. This will be one of my first putting a lot of details inside.

20171002_151049.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

In court, I lost, but the judge reduced the fine from $102 to $10 at least I got something for my time. I still felt like I should have been not guilty, but considering the reduced fine I kept my mouth shut, no east task for me.

Karl: I'm refraining from offering advice, except "Keep your cool" Anger, self pity or remorse, cause one to make bad decisions. I know, I've done it, myself. You are both in my prayers.

Louis: Sherrel is right. You were in the right, but somebody gotta pay. You did well $10.00 is costs. Judge has kids or grand kids that gotta eat.A lawyer would have gotten it thrown out, but his retainer would have been more expensive, than the original ticket.

Curt: You're welcomed. nice project.

I am saddened by the shootings in Las Vegas. Amazing how much damage and heartache, one creep on a mission can cause. What was his gripe? Nothing justifies random murder, how do you explain this to children / grand children. Not to mention, that the shooter, was not one of the usual suspects.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back