Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXIV

This young man sets a great example, no talking, no charging the mound, just play ball! He showed the Red Sox and all of MLB it's not a good idea to throw at him!
18221574_1632076023486848_8094271677707725299_n.jpg

Louis: Gotta love Manny. That was a crazy series in Boston, eh?

Had 3.59" of rain today, during a six hour period. Lots of flooding, but once the rain stopped, it all receded. There are advantages to sandy soil.

Good afternoon. It's sunny, windy, and 65.
I am suffering a migraine headache, and since I have no more medicine for them, I was forced to take the day off from work, and hide in bed until the worst of it has passed. My insurance company only will pay for 4 pills a month, and if I have more headaches than that, I just have to suffer. A single pill costs two days' take home pay to purchase at retail.

Have you tried an oxygen tank and mask? It was the only thing that worked on Cluster headaches for me.

Good morning. It's cloudy and 53. The headache has abated, but I still feel like I've been drug through a knothole.
Our model rr club is holding an open house today, not sure if I should participate.

If anybody wants to hop in their Lear jet and check it out, the open house is from 10-2.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good morning. 59 and cloudy still a threat of rain. Activity has been sparse here, guess everone was celebrating Cinco de Mayo.

Watched the Mets come back from a 7-1 deficit to win 8-7 last night. That's why they're Amazin! O's and Nats won also by identical 4-2 scores. It's do or die for the Caps tonight.

Everyone have a great day.

Good Morning All. 48° and clear right now, going up to 85° today. Celebrated Cinco de Mayo with some pork tamales, chicken stuffed jalapenos and Corona cerveza yesterday. Started the day processing and freezing four heads of broccoli from the garden. Lots more coming. While I have been picking and eating green peas for a week now, it looks like today will be the first "big" harvest that will need processing.
Didn't do any modeling yesterday, but I did get all of the lumber cut for installing a narrow 10" x 96" shelf under part the layout. I opened a cold one and put the tools away.

Terry - I do not offer medical advice because I am not a doctor and everyone is different and different things affect them differently. I personally believe in prevention more than medication...medication mostly just masks symptoms. While I am an advocate of alternative medications regarding prevention, I believe that medications do work better than non-medical herbs and potions once symptoms set in. One of the possible causes of migraines is serotonin deficiency. Two known ways to increase serotonin without medication are exercise and sunlight. Stress can also be a contributing factor, and I find that mild exercise (walking in my case) relieves that as well. You may already know all of this so I apologize in advance for boring you.
Garry - Hope that you are having a safe trip.
Joe - Not sure whether it was Cinco de Mayo or TGIF!!

Everybody have a safe and great day.

Willie

Good morning. Cloudy and cool here in central MD with a chance of showers. Excellent for mrr!:)

Got a local friend of mine coming over at ~10:30, he made a 6ft (522ft in HO) long concrete retaining wall of sheet styrene to put around the outer border of my slightly elevated town scene. I installed little 1"x3" plywood 'wafers' to the top and bottom at ~5-inch intervals to ensure that (1) the wall is the exact same distance from the track along most of its length [until it veers away from the track], and (2) to avoid any unnatural-looking dips or bulges that would exist if I were to glue it directly to the plywood platform.

RetainingWallSupportsOnTownLedge.jpg

When that's done I'll be driving up to Waynesboro PA for an op session at one of my friends in the Blue Ridge Division. So, I'll be involved in mrr-related activities thru 4:30pm today - not bad for a Saturday in the springtime!

Good morning. 56 degrees to start the day. Yesterday we got up to 89 degrees. Gott love the weather. Go from snow to 89 degrees in two weeks.

Terry - Hate to hear about the migraine. At least it did subside.

Ken - Good luck with the scenery work. Waiting for photos of what you get done.

The lawn is a hay field so it will probably have to be mowed twice. Once to get the grass cut and another time to push the grass clippings off of the lawn area. Don't care to drag out the lawn sweeper.

The little long hair doxie is going to have her day ruined as she is going to the groomer shortly. I am also going to bring my piece of crap MTD hand mower to the shop today to see if they can get it running correctly. Got it new two years ago and I don't think it has 25 hours on it. It just won't run right. It is only used to mow around trees where the tractor can't go. Witholder mowers you could adjust the idle and fuel mixture but new ones don't even have a throttle control on them. If they can't get it going right, it will be going to the dump and I'll look for an older used mower.

Time to load up the dog and head out.

Later.

Good afternoon. 60 and sunny.
I did make it to the club to help out for an hour or so, before coming back home. Visitor turnout was good, with one prospective new member gathering up everything he needed to apply for membership.

In chatting with my fellow club members, the response was resoundingly favorable to NCE. Everyone that had to return anything to them for repair had it repaired promptly, and for free, even items long out of warranty. I am the only person in the entire history of the club that has been forced to pay for repairs--under warranty or not. While the amount wasn't huge, at this point I've decided I did or said something to piss them off. This is the first thing I've ever needed repaired by them. I sincerely hope it's my last.

Quiet day at the coffee shop. It's cloudy and 56.
The black train cloud has returned with a vengence. One of my T1s went *poof* a few minutes ago. The motor shorted out, and took out the decoder when it went. This one has been back to BLI so much it has its own shelf reserved for it in the service department.
Also having some issues with a new Y6b, though it is all factory-induced problems.

Terry: No wonder you get migraines...You have serious electrical problems somewhere, my friend. No one has as many decoder failures as you do, not to mention your NCE issues. Either you have an intermittent short or surge, something is kind of wrong there. Hope you find the source real soon.

The Capitals actually showed some of their offensive muscle tonight, and beat the Penguins to stay alive. I spent much of the afternoon watching the Kentucky Derby on TV. Preakness is two weeks away.

Willie: Wow, a harvest already. I have to get my plants in like tomorrow, weather permitting.

Another slow day in the cafe.

Joe, the Y6 is suffering from extremely sloppy assembly. Shorted lights, pinched wires, and plugs broken when they built it.
The T1 is a problem child, and has been since the day I got it. BLI completely rebuilt it under warranty, and it still didn't stay fixed. And the Blueline T1 runs like a clock, and has never given me a seconds' trouble.

You would think I would have trouble with other electronic stuff in the house, if that was the case. I have multiple computers, tv's, satellite recivers, etc, and have no trouble with them. I'm starting to think it may be time to find a different hobby. Something that doesn't have any delicate electronics involved. FWIW, the .2 second trip time for the circuit breaker seems to be about right.

Good late evening again, to all you Rail Layers & Spike Drivers, [from around the turn of the Century 1899 to 1900's] It's been a cool day and now I'm supposed to get some rain but nothing like the Missouri area. Holy Christ, 17' of water under the overpass! Good God I hope no one got caught it that flood?

Hi Flo and Francine, Things look like your staying dry here for you and all of us, thank goodness. How about some coffee and an apple fritter for a night snack.

Rain and it's 45.7 °F - Feels Like 46 °F;
Winds are at 0.0 [Not true at my location, about 1.5 mph earlier and Variable] Gusts 0.0 mph LoL
Today
High -- | Low -- °F
--% Chance of Precip.
Yesterday
High -- | Low -- °F
Precip. -- in
Pressure 29.68 in
Visibility 10.0 miles
Clouds Overcast 7000 ft
Windchill 46 °F
Dew Point 43 °F
Humidity 89%
Rainfall 0.00 in
Snow Depth Not available

Good morning. Cloudy and cool here in central MD with a chance of showers. Excellent for mrr!:)

Got a local friend of mine coming over at ~10:30, he made a 6ft (522ft in HO) long concrete retaining wall of sheet styrene to put around the outer border of my slightly elevated town scene. I installed little 1"x3" plywood 'wafers' to the top and bottom at ~5-inch intervals to ensure that (1) the wall is the exact same distance from the track along most of its length [until it veers away from the track], and (2) to avoid any unnatural-looking dips or bulges that would exist if I were to glue it directly to the plywood platform.

RetainingWallSupportsOnTownLedge.jpg

When that's done I'll be driving up to Waynesboro PA for an op session at one of my friends in the Blue Ridge Division. So, I'll be involved in mrr-related activities thru 4:30pm today - not bad for a Saturday in the springtime!

Say Ken: I don't quite understand why you needed to glue all the strips of wood under the upper edge as well as the base? Well, ok on the base it gives the retaining wall something to rest against to hold it in place. but why couldn't you have also just attached it to the edge of rounded board giving you a bit more area?

I'm sure you had your reasons, I just trying to understand them.

Good morning. 59 and cloudy still a threat of rain. Activity has been sparse here, guess everone was celebrating Cinco de Mayo.

Watched the Mets come back from a 7-1 deficit to win 8-7 last night. That's why they're Amazin! O's and Nats won also by identical 4-2 scores. It's do or die for the Caps tonight.

Everyone have a great day.

Say Joe: When you driving train, did you ever drop cars off or pick them up from the, 'Gel Spice Co. in Bayonne, NJ ? I happened to notice their address on some of their packaging and thought of you being in NJ.

Everyone - update on the flooding here in MO. Different areas were affected differently, but everyone has grief. In and around Springfield, where we live, a good number of roads were closed for a while, several bridges overtopped with river water, and a couple of roads are closed due to water eroding and washing the road surface away. A number of school districts closed, including a few closing through the rest of this school year, which didn't have much left to it anyway, because buses could not get through. Several dead, lots of videos of water rescues, dams releasing enormous amounts of water which affects folks downstream - many folks around here have vacation homes on the nearby lakes, which is nice, but when those lakes rise your house is doomed. But as bad as it was here, east of here got it worse, from St. Louis down to West Plains. Parts of I44, which is the main route across southern MO, were (and maybe still are) closed near St Louis, and West Plains, which is close to the AR border, was almost completely flooded. I saw tv reports of I44 near St Louis showing water almost touching an overpass going over I44! That would mean close to 17' of water on the interstate!!

Anyway, waters are receding, the sun is shining, the sky is blue - - and the grass needs mowed!!
Have a good day everyone.

Say Johnny: Holy Christ, 17' of water under the overpass! Good God man I hope no one got caught on the interstate in that flooding? That's one mass of water.

Good morning. It's clear and 40. Somebody find the door to Canada that got left open, and close it? Thanks.

Good morning Gents,
Its 45 here in central IL.

Over the past week or so, I placed orders for some more models and building supplies.
Apparently everything showed on the same day.
Yesterday morning (10'ish or so) the mail lady that does out rounds here in the hone knocks on my door and opens it "Eric I hava a lot of packages for you!"
I was asleep. She was right. I had about 6 or 7 packages. Some I had forgot abiout ordering. Other I was waiting on.
She says "at least you'll have something to do now!". No doubt about that.

Wasting no time, I'l already built the Walthers machine shop.
The others I'll have to do some thinking on before I start construction.

If I stay up long enough, I'll go attend church. We have a chapel here. Pretty nice one to.
My sleep pattern generally doesn't lend itself for such.
Build models and tinker during teh night and sleep most of the day.
Not always but that pretty usual.

E.

Good Morning. Happy Sunday! 51 and sunny, so far, so good.

Say Joe: When you driving train, did you ever drop cars off or pick them up from the, 'Gel Spice Co. in Bayonne, NJ ? I happened to notice their address on some of their packaging and thought of you being in NJ.

David: I do not recognize the name, sorry. When I was running, I mostly worked the Chemical Coast Zone, from Oak Island, (Newark), to Browns (Old Bridge), via the former CNJ Perth Amboy Branch, the New York and Long Branch, and the Camden and Amboy. I also worked at Linden and Metuchen on the Northeast Corridor, and the former CNJ Southern Branch from Red Bank (Count Basie) to Lakehurst (Hindenburg Disaster). Never really worked Bayone or Jersey City.

Terry: I don't think it's the hobby, as much as it's the product. The common denominator, might be BLI. The few BLI items that I have are rather touchy and I tend not to use them with great regularity. I use the MRC Prodigy² system, which seems to work for me, although right now my layout is using DC and I'm considering keeping it DC.

Eric: It's good to have all these projects to occupy your recovery time, I'm sort of surprised by your sleep pattern, though, When are your next scans scheduled for?

The Capitals actually decided to come and play, and dominated the game last night. Not enough of that. Hopefully they will continue playing hard, they may still win this series. O's pulled one out last night, and the Nats won. Over all a good sports day.

Joe, you might want to keep everything DC. DCC is great for MUing, lighting, and sound effects, as well as operating more than one train on a single track. I had several hundred locomotives and a couple thousand cars, in N scale, no less, and I can count on one hand the number of problems I had with all of them put together. The problems started multiplying when DCC was added to the equation.

If anybody besides me is feeling particularly masochistic, I've got the T1 for sale in several places for $75, including shipping...

Hello? We have the beginnings of a revolution (or is that a revulsion) in the ranks.
Maybe a revision.
I have noticed that most of the problems I have are with steam engines. It seems art is following life. Steam went away on the railroads because it was maintenance and repair intensive. The problems I have with steam are 10x that of diesel.

Good Morning All. 54° and clear today in North Central Texas. Highs back in the 80's for a few days. Did spend some time yesterday morning picking green peas and processing/freezing them. Got about half the row picked before the gnats started buzzing me. More today and for the next two weeks at least. Looks like more broccoli to pick today as well. Many of the onions and all of the garlic are maturing and will be harvested to start drying during the upcoming week. Green tomatoes everywhere.
Out in the train shed, I couldn't resist starting on one of the laser-cut wood kits that I purchased last week. Step one on all of them is to glue bracing on. This is a double building kit from Bar Mills called "Four-Fingered Tony's Wholesale Meats". This one's not easy. One entire wall of one of the buildings is constructed of stripwood that has to be cut precisely and glued together. It will take time.

Ken in MD - Nice progress, looking forward to the next step.
Joe - In this part of TX, I plant from January-March. Harvesting begins in March and lasts until the end of May for everything except tomatoes and peppers which cease by July. If I keep the plants watered they will resume in late September, when the fall season starts. It's just too hot in late-June through early September for much else to survive except sweet potatoes and peanuts. They are planted in May and harvest in October-November. I have picked tomatoes as late as Thanksgiving weekend!
Eric - Great to hear of your progress. I haven't forgotten that I am going to post some pictures of grain elevators for you, but the garden has kept me a bit busy lately.
Terry - Out of my era!

Everybody have a great Sunday, gotta go pick some veggies before Mass.

Willie

Back