Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXIV

46 here and it has been raining since I got out of getting blood transfused yesterday.
That was around 16:30 or so.
I have a pond outside my window.
Across the highway, in the corn field, now sits an acre size lake (maybe 2 acres by now).
E.

46 here and it has been raining since I got out of getting blood transfused yesterday.
That was around 16:30 or so.
I have a pond outside my window.
Across the highway, in the corn field, now sits an acre size lake (maybe 2 acres by now).
E.
What is happening in your area reminds me of May, 1993.

Good morning, 38° and sunny. Did not appear to have a frost overnight. Today is supposed to be nice, but chilly, tomorrow Rainy and Raw.

Good Morning Guys. A moderate 50° and mostly clear right now. Today is grocery/beer trek day so that kills a couple of hours. Spent some time yesterday clearing some leftover construction/destruction debris piled back behind the barn. Out of sight, out of mind! Picked maybe eight pounds of broccoli and some green peas from the garden. Broccoli mostly will make it to the freezer today. My wife is also making some soup. Ate all of the green peas last night. That was just the first picking of them, there will be an explosion starting tomorrow.
Out in the train shed I finished weathering the brick structure that I am assembling and I will do the windows today. I did spend a lot of time reading the latest MR and some of Trains magazine that arrived last week.

Sherrel - Sorry, I sent all my rain to Johnny in MO, and to Eric further east! Sad news regarding your friend/neighbor.
Garry - My condolences to your grandchildren. You're probably getting that rain about now as well.
Chet - The 844 video was pretty nice, thanks for posting it.
Eric - Stay dry. By the way, I did get pictures of many of my grain elevators yesterday for you, but left the camera/chip out in the train shed. I'll get it later.

Everybody have a great day.

Willie

Good morning. Starting off the day at 43 degrees with ahhight expected in the mid 70's for the first time this year.

Garry - Sorry to hear of your loss.

Curt - Say hi to Phil for me when you see him. Was hoping to meet with him in February when I was supposed to be at the Daytona 500, but that didn't happen.

Terry - Sure hope you can get the DCCissues squared away. Must really be frustrating.

Eric - Looking at the radar, thing should finally be clearing up where you are. We had over a week of rain and now clear skies. The grandson will be working his butt off this weekend mowing the yard. Finally dry enough to get out there and mow.

Willie - I always enjoy watching the Union Pacific Steam. I have had the opportunity to have ridden behind both the 844 and the 3985. Hope I'm around long enough to see the 4011 run.

Found a package on my porch when I got home yesterday. It was my '53 Studebaker. They did a nice job on it. Another one into the collection. Some day I should take a count and see how many I have.

IMAG1156.jpg IMAG1157.jpg

Later

Well crap!!!!
I'm building away on this model - Life-Like Hampden #46 Fire Engine House - and am getting in the final stages.
One of entire wall is missing. This kit must have been opened before. I don't remember. I sure don't remember not seeing a 4th wall so I must not have checked it out very closely. Apparently, they have quit making it but I found another unopened kit on ebay so I got it coming.

I did order a few more structures over the last few days. Sure does get adicting - almost as bad as buying engines. Since they are so much cheaper it's that much harder to resist. So instead of grain elevators, I opted a a cement plant like Willie suggested. 2 oil tank farms. Plenty of piping and walkways and stuff there. ... and a few other things.

E.

Eric...how are you liking that airbrush paint booth? Does it work well??

Yeah, it's ok. I wish it was a little larger however. I can make do with it.
Now I wish my airbrush would get here so I could have to use it more often. ;)

Garry: Sorry to hear of your loss.

Eric: Glad to see you're back at posting again.

Chet: Ever figure out what the insurance costs would be for your huge fleet of HO vehicles?

Posted my first video on U Tube with my new camera. A little rough, but after all its my first attempt. Actually, I found it to be fun. The next will feature a sound locomotive, the crossing signal with have sound when operating and sharper focus.

Off to the cabin tomorrow...lots of small projects. So much rain and being in the woods, I need to spray tp prevent moss on the roofs of the cabin and an out building. Need to clean the deck of pine needles. Must wash the rear sliding window and tracks and adjust for smoother operation. Feed the critters. Clean the water feature and install the pump. Finally, clean up the main shed. But most of all...have a few cocktails at night watching the critters.

That's all.

Greg

https://youtu.be/oJ5ZfC0HKmE

Last edited by a moderator:
Good morning all, 50 and sunny.

Had some fun at the library yesterday, found some useful photos. Also, located a good Northern Pacific reference book available for viewing at another nearby branch.

More later, Dave ( lasm)

Eric--great to hear you are keeping busy with the building assembly!

Good morning ....

Chet .... I like the Studebaker. Who makes it?

Eric .... Regarding the building missing a wall. You can probably use any piece of flat plastic to make a wall that will be on a side that will not be visible if place in the back of a layout. A cheap source of flat plastic is the "For Sale " signs sold in hardware stores. ..... For example, my grain elevator I built last year has a blank wall with no windows or other details which is in the back where it can not be seen after paling it on the layout.

Thanks for all the condolences. The man who passed away was the father of one of our daughter's Ex. So, we were not close to him, but we did of course know him. The Ex has been the source of major problems unfortunately.

We're headed to Ohio for a few days starting tomorrow.

Cheers.

Garry - Found it on American Excellence. Made by BoS-Models. Never heard of them.

Have a safe trip.

Morning All:
Another georgeous day in the Southland! Calm winds and super clear sky.
Today is forecast to be COOLER than yesterday.
Today
High 88 | Low 56 °F
0% Chance of Precip.
Yesterday
High 92.8 | Low 51.5 °F
Precip. 0 in

Eric, I'm on the northern fringe of the system. It's 44 and very light rain here, but it may come down harder in a few hours.

Just spent a couple-hundred $ getting Trainworx vehicles, UPS & Fedex & a couple others. Rule #1: buy it sooner rather than later. It's time to stop "collecting," though.

This signature is intended to irritate people.

Afternoon fellers. I hope everyone is well. I'll share with y'all some pics of the Greenbrier Subdivision. This sub was abandoned in 1979. Primary purpose was timber. It split off of the Allegheny Subdivision where the railroad crosses the Greenbrier River. North Caldwell was the first depot on the line. The depot is still standing however it has been moved. Where the tracks used to be is now the Greenbrier River Trail. You can still find markers along the trail from the railroad.
2e5c76fff71ff5e0a5c09423c6eb7bca.jpg
2a27077562ba8e287c1b40908d1185ad.jpg

Sent from my LGLS675 using Tapatalk

Afternoon All,

Hot today, there is enough to go around for everyone if you want some temperature action. Had a nice visit with Jon and Phil today. Next week I will be tied up all week at grandson's school BOGO book fair (raises money for the school) and next Thursday is a routine VA appointment.

Chet- Great video. I liked the wildlife running from the train.Great looking car.

Eric- Good to hear from you. Stay dry.

Garry- Enjoy your trip.

Justin- Nice pics.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Garry: Sorry to hear of your loss.

Eric: Glad to see you're back at posting again.

Chet: Ever figure out what the insurance costs would be for your huge fleet of HO vehicles?

Posted my first video on U Tube with my new camera. A little rough, but after all its my first attempt. Actually, I found it to be fun. The next will feature a sound locomotive, the crossing signal with have sound when operating and sharper focus.

Off to the cabin tomorrow...lots of small projects. So much rain and being in the woods, I need to spray tp prevent moss on the roofs of the cabin and an out building. Need to clean the deck of pine needles. Must wash the rear sliding window and tracks and adjust for smoother operation. Feed the critters. Clean the water feature and install the pump. Finally, clean up the main shed. But most of all...have a few cocktails at night watching the critters.

That's all.

Greg

https://youtu.be/oJ5ZfC0HKmE

Dang Greg, for your first video, that's darn good. Now don't let it go to your head that you think you're the next George Lucas.
YouTube offers a simple video editor that you can trim the start and finish of the video and combine clips together.
In your camera settings, you should be able to find a manual focus. Use that so your camera doesn't do the focus shimmy thing.
When you use the zoom feature, you have to shoot from a little further away but it gives the video a greater depth of field so you can slow your train down a little for a more realistic look.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ken:

Thanks for the advise. I need to find out about the manual focus and try that approach. Its been a learning experience since I was used to Brownie Box cameras.

Thanks.

Greg

Ken:

Thanks for the advise. I need to find out about the manual focus and try that approach. Its been a learning experience since I was used to Brownie Box cameras.

Thanks.

Greg

The manual focus is only for when you have the camera in a fixed position. When you are holding it by hand, auto focus should be on but the video will be "not so good". Always use a tripod if you have one available.

Back