Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXII

Good morning. 38 degrees but the weather forecast has winter coming back with snow possible for the rest of the week.

Took a ride over to Deer Lodge yesterday and visited with my cousin. She is the one who found her dad. She had noticed his old pickup in the driveway when he should have been at breakfast with his friends. She said you could set your watch by him going to breakfast. He was one of eight sons. Seven of them ended up in Montana and one stayed in Indiana to be near my grand mother who wanted to stay in the Hoosier state. There will be a funeral ceremony next Saturday to celebrate his life instead of mourning his loss.

Saturday will give the many relatives time to get up here. There are so many nieces and nephews. Some of my uncles had as many as 7 kids and some have left the area to pursue their careers. Saturday will give everyone time to make the funeral. I'm am happy to pass the trip to Daytona to be with family, many who I haven't seen in some time. I also changed my avitar to the Milwaukee Road in memory of him.

Willie - Seems like you don't have much luck with appliances. Does sound like you've been pretty busy.

Carl - Sure is a chubby feline. Must not get too far away from their food dish.

Curt - I see you're moving along well with the expansion. More switching. Looks good.

Again, I do want to thank everyone for the kind words. He was like a second father to me and taught me so much about railroading.

Good morning. I planned to post this photo last night but decided to wait since the focus was on a more somber topic.

This is what I have gotten done with my windowless caboose scratch-bashing project so far: All the main body pieces are ready for assembly. I did the cupola on Saturday and, as expected, some of the pieces didn't line up perfectly so I had to redo them. I applied the rivet decals and handrails beforehand, since the surfaces would be easier to reach - and it is much safer to press into a flat piece of styrene with a pin vice than trying to drill into a fragile newly-assembled body since it's not as tough as an injection-molded piece.

PiecesBeforeFinalAssembly.jpg

Personally, I think I'd rather feel good and die in 10 years, than feel like crap and live 11 years. Quality, not quantity of life.

When I was in my 20's I got a "reading" and was told I'd "live to be 87". I was mad and she could not understand why and I told her it was all well and good but what if I have a stroke at 55? I'd rather not know and drop in harness without warning thank you very much.

Well I think Ill pare it back a bit and sell some stuff to buy another scooter. I'd rather have my own and let the boy ride his and also it would be nice to have someone along on the rides for safety and fun.

I'll be selling two steamers, two boxes of cork roadbed, some wired joins, an NCE smart booster, an NCE throttle, assorted rollers and some boxcar kits save the one I'm sending to E free because he is who he is. I'll go through it today and separate out what is on the block and post pics in a separate thread.

Good morning, 39 and foggy, headed for 62!

Made it over to Hub Hobby in Roseville yesterday. Really a fine hobby shop! Purchased some items for my initial building projects for the new layout!

Willie----I am still on my "new" job, going on 6 months there. For the time being we are renting in Oakdale, MN; however we are planning ahead and have purchased 20 acres with an old farmstead near Sandstone, MN; which will be part of my new layout.

I decided to go ahead and start assembling the buildings and track plan for this new project. It will be 1890 to 1917 time frame and totally based on historical photographs. The final buildings pictured in my build thread is my starting point for my new projects.

I have lots of transition era rolling stock which I will be selling, want to keep the new layout time appropriate.

more later, Dave " lasm"

Chet - nice tribute to your uncle, changing your avatar like that. He's smiling right now.
Dave - your handle "logandsawman"s and some photos you've posted let me know that you are into the logging industry. That's one of, if not THE, most important industries we want to model on our NYCentral layout. I'm reading what I can about the whole industry (forest to retail store). Any tips you can give would be really appreciated.
Thanks
Johnny

That got me thinking how I wish I had been born in the old west. With out today's medical technology I would not have made it to 30, but as Terry so rightly pointed out; when it comes to life quality is more important than quantity.

Bruce my friend you will like this one! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUYN4kkKmEw

I was very pleased to be able to see them the VERY LAST time LEMMY was in Detroit, my main beef was never getting to see the old lineup with "The Animal" on drums. Felt pretty young that night, it was a good show even though Lem was not "really" playing and I'm pretty sure they dubbed him on "Killed by Death" the guy could barely speak but he was THERE!

Good morning, 39 and foggy, headed for 62!

Made it over to Hub Hobby in Roseville yesterday. Really a fine hobby shop! Purchased some items for my initial building projects for the new layout!

Willie----I am still on my "new" job, going on 6 months there. For the time being we are renting in Oakdale, MN; however we are planning ahead and have purchased 20 acres with an old farmstead near Sandstone, MN; which will be part of my new layout.

I decided to go ahead and start assembling the buildings and track plan for this new project. It will be 1890 to 1917 time frame and totally based on historical photographs. The final buildings pictured in my build thread is my starting point for my new projects.

I have lots of transition era rolling stock which I will be selling, want to keep the new layout time appropriate.

more later, Dave " lasm"

I guess you'll have to start selling off your diesels and some rolling stock. A bit too modern for the time period. May need the bucks to find some brass locomotives.

Chet .... Keeping you and your family in our prayers. ...... You said some of your family remained in Indiana. I recall your telling us of family train trips from Montana to Indiana. ..... I suppose, if none of your family ever moved to MT you could call yourself "Hoosier" instead of "Montanan". .... Nice of you to honor your uncle with the changed avatar.

Sherrel ... Just for you:

MKT%20PA1_zpscpc2wwtm.jpg

Louis .... Glad you liked to hear about some of the history of 700D. .... There were two F7A's in separate head -on collisions which were later rebuilt into F9Am's .... Both were owned Burlington's western subsidiaries. Colorado and Southern 700D, and Fort Worth and Denver 750A . ... FW&D 750A was the lead unit which collided with an SD9 in Wyoming. The SD9 was rebuilt and was the first Burlington SD9 with the Chinese red paint scene. .... Below is FW&D 750A after being rebuilt into an F9A. The C&S 700A looked identical except for the large style spark arrestors. 750A had normal size spark arrestors s used on Burlington F units. .... 700D and 750A were not equipped with MU cables hanging on the pilots as in the Athearn model.

fwd_750A_F7A_ft_worth_tx_1963_zpsbqih66uw.jpg

Curt .... I like your piggyback terminal project so far.

Good Morning Gang. 50° and partly cloudy here in beautiful North Central Texas this morning.
Where at, exactly? Last July, I sold my best pair of 1878 S&W revolvers to a guy west of San Antonio and hand-delivered them. Then, across the Pecos to Langtry to pay my respects to Judge Roy Bean, and then straight up the middle to the Washita battlefield.

Beady - Sad but amusing story regarding the "shooting". We're not quite as politically correct here in Texas, and hearing that kind of talk is everyday stuff.
That supervisor and I later became good friends. Once, I was called into her office for a routine periodic review. I had just sat down when every piece of wood in my chair separated from every other piece. I remember, in slow motion, seeing her startled look as her face disappeared behind her desk while I was heading for the floor. Then, I was looking up at the ceiling and seeing a ring of supervisors looking down at me. What an odd day that was.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
Back to the layout room today and hopefully start my ballast project that I intended to do yesterday. I was side tracked by two DCC locomotives whose decoders were acting up!

One locomotive's bell was not always operating and then the horn wasn't working. The other locomotive would run at one speed step and then increase its speed. Simply reprogramming their addresses cured the problem.

Lost a small truck screw on the floor, found it and them lost the other.

Greg

Where at, exactly? Last July, I sold my best pair of 1878 S&W revolvers to a guy west of San Antonio and hand-delivered them. Then, across the Pecos to Langtry to pay my respects to Judge Roy Bean, and then straight up the middle to the Washita battlefield.

I'm about 65 miles north of Dallas-Ft Worth, about 25 miles from the Oklahoma border. As the crow flies, I'm 7 or 8 miles west of IH35 between Sanger and Valley View. I am in the middle of nowhere, although not nearly as out in the boonies as Langtry...that's really out there even to Texans. Years ago, a property owner split his land of about 75 acres, into several plots of which I purchased 15 acres, and I have a couple of neighbors as close as a quarter mile away. Otherwise it's 1.25 miles south and 2 miles north before there are any more residents. A trip around the block is 8.5 miles on the east and 10.5 miles on the west! At least the county paved our road with pea gravel and asphalt in 2000!
You probably used IH35 on your way to San Antonio, and came very close to me. I do remember you posting something about the trip after the fact.

Willie

I'm about 65 miles north of Dallas-Ft Worth, about 25 miles from the Oklahoma border. As the crow flies, I'm 7 or 8 miles west of IH35 between Sanger and Valley View. I am in the middle of nowhere, although not nearly as out in the boonies as Langtry...that's really out there even to Texans. Years ago, a property owner split his land of about 75 acres, into several plots of which I purchased 15 acres, and I have a couple of neighbors as close as a quarter mile away. Otherwise it's 1.25 miles south and 2 miles north before there are any more residents. A trip around the block is 8.5 miles on the east and 10.5 miles on the west! At least the county paved our road with pea gravel and asphalt in 2000!
You probably used IH35 on your way to San Antonio, and came very close to me. I do remember you posting something about the trip after the fact.

Willie
I went down whatever freeway east of Dallas towards San Antonio, then west to Fredericksburg. Heading back, it was straight north from the Rio Grande, halfway between Langtry and Del Rio. Spent the night in Childress. That day was the best part of the trip.

Tony you will find that there are a plethora of experts on here and they are all ready willing and able to provide the assistance we beginners need.

Take a look at the forum bookstore. It's a portal to Amazon and the forum gets a small commission, win, win! You can find a used copy of an older Walthers catalog if you are looking for something to browse through. You will find hundreds of ideas and it will only cost you a few bucks.
Oh great Idea Louis, already looking at Amazon and I think I found a few things to order, thank you.

Hey there Flo and Francine!
I'm late to the party this day, so believe I'll have some of that good messican soup with a couple tacos to boot. After all, it is Taco Tuesday in these here parts.
OK, I am off to see the wizard of tax prepares. Finished up the 2014, 2015, and started on the 2016. I swear, I will never drop the ball on this again ... too hard to backtrack information - and statements get lost in the mounds of paper, and deductible items get overlooked in the shuffle. If My tax man of 35 years had not passed away - and my cancer had not bout did me in -- wouldn't have let things get outta control the way they did. So be it - I am on a roll now!

LOUIS - Willie is right It's decaf for you! LOL!

Garry - Thanks for the MKT Alco Pic. Poor old KATY doesn't get much recognition. At one time it was a First Class operation with their "spit and polish" passenger trains, but in the later years (around K.C. anyway) most of the equipment looked like it was held together with bailing wire and tape.

Beady Need to talk with you about a gun issue? How about fire me a PM with an e-mail and phone?
My son has had horses forever and he does the mounted shooting events all over out here. I wish I could get back into loading and shooting, but CA is a bitch to do anything in - at least around here. It is actually "against the law to fire a gun in the whole of Riverside county" so I have been told - and Riverside County is a BIG place!

Will be mostly lurking for a couple days, but I always read the posts several lookin's a day. All my head is seeing is numbers at the moment.

Hey there Flo and Francine!
I'm late to the party this day, so believe I'll have some of that good messican soup with a couple tacos to boot. After all, it is Taco Tuesday in these here parts.
OK, I am off to see the wizard of tax prepares. Finished up the 2014, 2015, and started on the 2016. I swear, I will never drop the ball on this again ... too hard to backtrack information - and statements get lost in the mounds of paper, and deductible items get overlooked in the shuffle. If My tax man of 35 years had not passed away - and my cancer had not bout did me in -- wouldn't have let things get outta control the way they did. So be it - I am on a roll now!

LOUIS - Willie is right It's decaf for you! LOL!

Garry - Thanks for the MKT Alco Pic. Poor old KATY doesn't get much recognition. At one time it was a First Class operation with their "spit and polish" passenger trains, but in the later years (around K.C. anyway) most of the equipment looked like it was held together with bailing wire and tape.

Beady Need to talk with you about a gun issue? How about fire me a PM with an e-mail and phone?
My son has had horses forever and he does the mounted shooting events all over out here. I wish I could get back into loading and shooting, but CA is a bitch to do anything in - at least around here. It is actually "against the law to fire a gun in the whole of Riverside county" so I have been told - and Riverside County is a BIG place!

Will be mostly lurking for a couple days, but I always read the posts several lookin's a day. All my head is seeing is numbers at the moment.
PM sent.

Everybody: The wife's birthday/valentine's day present finally arrived. I figured I'd hit it out of the park: she's always complaining (pardon me, "mentioning") that I never give her flowers, she misses gardening, her present was imported and exotic, and we have a fly/mosquito/stink bug problem. Granted, it was only a packet of seeds rather than the grown flower, but still, I thought that a bouquet of Venus Flytrap would be perfect. How was I to know?

PM sent.

Everybody: The wife's birthday/valentine's day present finally arrived. I figured I'd hit it out of the park: she's always complaining (pardon me, "mentioning") that I never give her flowers, she misses gardening, her present was imported and exotic, and we have a fly/mosquito/stink bug problem. Granted, it was only a packet of seeds rather than the grown flower, but still, I thought that a bouquet of Venus Flytrap would be perfect. How was I to know?

I'm hearing ice cracking :eek::eek::eek:

Beady:

It's the thought that counts!

I once purchased a new Lawn Boy lawn mower for my wife for our anniversary and on another time a new snow blower! She likes to mow the lawn and clear snow in the winter so she was thrilled to receive these gifts. Still married after 42 years.

Beady, be careful of those Venus Fly Traps if your wife is a gardener, ever seen the movie Little Shop Of Horrors? A little tender care and some fertilizer and those Fly Traps can develop into real meat eaters....

Beady:

It's the thought that counts!

I once purchased a new Lawn Boy lawn mower for my wife for our anniversary and on another time a new snow blower! She likes to mow the lawn and clear snow in the winter so she was thrilled to receive these gifts. Still married after 42 years.

Beady, be careful of those Venus Fly Traps if your wife is a gardener, ever seen the movie Little Shop Of Horrors? A little tender care and some fertilizer and those Fly Traps can develop into real meat eaters....

Just dont name it Seymour:rolleyes:

Back