Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lame- I wish your family and Dad all the best. Hopefully it's not a stroke, there are several things that can mimic a stroke.

Goodness gracious ... 4 pages in the last 12 hrs. Busy, Busy!

It partly cloudy and 63 this morning. A line of showers exists about 30 miles off shore and they are expected to reach us in about 5-6 hours.
I hope that they still have some rain left in them at that time. Right now I had better get out and walk the dogs; they have been staring me down this morning as I did not get them out yesterday. Have a bunco group party tonight - spousal unit is in N. Car., so guess I will have to attend to uphold the family name and avoid being talked about, lol.

Have a good day all!

Sherrel, they talk about me, whether I'm there or not...

In other news, I am now "The Old Guy" at work. The only other person in the shop older than me retired yesterday. Interestingly, out of the 20 or so people there, including management and owners, nobody but me got the guy anything at all in honor of the event. I got him a greeting card, and got everybody to sign it. Sad, after 13 years' service, all he got was a card, and a boot in the butt on his way out the door.

Good afternoon. It's a beautiful day out here climbing over 70 degrees already. I have been out feeding my gopher population. They can really tear up a lawn so I got some oats that are used by a pro who we haul the oats up from Nebraska. They are laced with poison and do a quick job on the litter buggers.

Had a good evening last night. Got my new bowling ball in and drilled and it didn't take long to get the feel of it. Finally got one that will work like my old one. I was using a ball that was over ten years old because I just couldn't find a good replacement. Cost $238 but with a number of tournaments coming up and the league roll offs, guess it was time for something new.

I did enjoy the beel last night as well as a shot of Jack Black.

Now maybe I can get some work done on the layout being that my outdoor chores are done.

Good afternoon. It's a beautiful day out here climbing over 70 degrees already. I have been out feeding my gopher population. They can really tear up a lawn so I got some oats that are used by a pro who we haul the oats up from Nebraska. They are laced with poison and do a quick job on the litter buggers.

Had a good evening last night. Got my new bowling ball in and drilled and it didn't take long to get the feel of it. Finally got one that will work like my old one. I was using a ball that was over ten years old because I just couldn't find a good replacement. Cost $238 but with a number of tournaments coming up and the league roll offs, guess it was time for something new.

I did enjoy the beel last night as well as a shot of Jack Black.

Now maybe I can get some work done on the layout being that my outdoor chores are done.
I still use my t road pearl and my cell. I love them both a lot.

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

Update here. The doctors don't think it was a stroke. Thank goodness. Having an mri at 230.

I still use my t road pearl and my cell. I love them both a lot.

My old ball is the Hammer Black Widow Pearl, but like I said, it's 10 years old and I don't know how much longer the coating will last before it starts coming apart. The new ball is the Hammer Scandal. Like the graphics on the ball, wjth the Capitol building on it.

Hope everything work out for you with the MRI. Good Luck.

Wow Lame, close call I hope. Here's wishing the best for your dad, you and family. Hopefully the mri will tell them something.
Willie

Lame....

First off I do hope your dad is OK!!!

On the turnouts, I can't really be sure since your photos don't show the whole turnout, but I would bet those are the bottom of the line snap #4 turnouts.... They are basically junk and will give you problems except with short (scale 40') cars and very short wheelbase locomotives... Most modelers recommend only using them in tight places where space is a major thing like yards or industrial sidings. The Atlas Custom Line #6 or #8 are far better quality and would be far better for you.

Personally, while I have about 20 or so Atlas turnouts on the SLOW in the older section, all track being put down now is hand laid code 83. I make all my own turnouts using the code 83 Fast Tracks Jigs. Absolutely slick!!! Not something probably for you yet as you are just starting out, but you might want to look at the PECO or Shinohara turnouts as being far superior to any of the Atlas ones. I know you are not anywhere near the hand laying stage.... ;) At very least can the cheapo #4s and go with #6 or larger whenever possible.

Here is a couple shots of areas on the SLOW with hand laid track and turnouts! In the first the track at the bottom of the photo is Atlas flex that has been weathered... the other two and the turnout are hand laid.

Track%20Bare%20Mountain1w_zpsqkakws5f.png

Here are three different turnouts from different makers: The top one is a Walters Shinohara curved turnout. Very smooth running and dependable. The middle is a #6 Atlas Custom Line. Works quite well but you will almost always get a little bump from that very prototypical black frog... (yuck) The bottom one is a freshly made #6 using the Fast Tracks Jig. Took me about 45 minutes start to finish... When done with these you can run a car through the frog from any direction and not feel any bumps or drops. Absolute like glass smooth. I can run trains at speed through these and never have a derailment! It has yet to be painted and weathered to put on the layout.

3Switchesw_zpsn6ewprcd.png

Here is a Fast tracks #6 freshly in place, weathered, and partially ballasted:

PaintedTrack07w_zpstjmkmvkg.png

Enjoy!

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I did a lot on the Big Boy kit. Way more than was I really into doing - especially after I dumped over my bottle of brush cleaner. Sort of funny about this kit. It's injection molded in all black and it seems they say to paint just about everything in flat black. Heck with that. I shot everything (almost everything) in dulcotte and was done with it!
Seems like about every step I need to paint something in aluminum though.
At least I'm trying to a little something.

Go take my weekly shower is something I really should do. :cool:
E

Lame, hoping they give your dad a clean bill of health.

By santafewillie;

Bob - Been there before. A gentleman that worked for me was experiencing chest pains but refused my offer to call 911. Said he would go by his doctor on the way home but didn't go. Had a heart attack later that night at home and died.

Strange why someone will fight against something that could save their life. I guess that they subscribe to the saying "No news is good news". Wishing it away just doesn't work. They need to be reminded of another old saying "Wish in one hand and **** in the other and see which one fills up quickest".

Ray, how much of a learning curve is there when using the Fast Tracks Jigs? I think that they look much better than any ready made turnouts.........are they worth the extra effort and time spent?

Ray, how much of a learning curve is there when using the Fast Tracks Jigs? I think that they look much better than any ready made turnouts.........are they worth the extra effort and time spent?

If you are planning on making a bunch of them as I was, they are the way to go! The jigs are pricey but Tim Warris (owner) figures you can make a turnout for all of $11 or $12 each. The first one I made took me close to 3 hours to do, but now I can do one in about an hour (Unless I am at a show demonstrating making them. Then I can do about a half of one in a day..... LOL) If you have some good soldering skills and can read and follow directions, they are not really hard to do and very much worth the expense of the jigs. He has jigs for all scales, codes of track, and turnout sizes. I also have jigs for crossings, and tie spacing etc. For me it was $$$ well spent. Not everyone would find that true.... Oh, Tim can do one in 45 minutes! Of course he has made quite a few. Check out his website (http://www.handlaidtrack.com/category-s/2355.htm) and the Bronx Terminal models he built (both HO and N) - http://www.bronx-terminal.com/ I have had the opportunity to see this marvel up close on a couple occasions and it is wonderful!!!

Here is my NMRA Civil Engineering Merit Award project that shows a Turnout, Crossover, and a crossing that met all the requirements for the certificate. All was hand laid!

Civil001w.png

So we dodged a bullet. It appears that my father did not end up having a stroke. They are not exactly sure what happened but he is doing just fine.

The switches do not seem to be lining up and allows the trucks to go down the wrong path. I tried to straighten them but it did not work. They are the cheaper switches I believe. I'll try and find a box.

Lame, Very glad to hear that your dad is OK!

Can you post a photo of the entire Turnout (on a model railroad they are generally referred to as a turnout, not a switch) and the area next to it? That may help us see exactly what the problem is... Sometimes it isn't the turnout at all but the trackage next to it.

"E" if you are referring to my Civil Engineering project, thank you very much. It was good enough to earn me the required Merit Award and finish the Civil Engineer Certificate toward MMR. I have two more Certificates required to get Master Model Railroader in the NMRA. I'm hoping I should be finished in the couple of years. Now if you are referring to Tim Warris's work..... Now that is truly Awesome!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Good evening gang!

Its snosleerainin outside, white areas in the yard, mixed with green, weird.

Lame,Great to hear Dad is ok and it wasn't a stroke. I've had one, and can vouch that they are not something to play with.

Ray. Your track work is beautiful. Wanna come a little south for awhile and lay some more? :confused:

Eric. Don't forget to wash behind your ears!:rolleyes: Oh, and don't Google your name . I did and found a namesake in a Tennessee prison for child molestation, and a college professor in Arizona, among others. and several pre-teens in the U.K. ,, odd.

Curt, Your signal diagram,,,,it's got me seeing spots! ;)

We got about 1/3 rd of the carpet removed from the basement today. The installers glued the padding down :mad: and uses tack strips on the rug, so I now have glue residue to remove as well as filling all the nail holes :( This has just gone from a simple D.I.Y project to a major project requiring rental of power tools to cleanse the concrete and polish it . This also means SWMBO has called the FIL (who used to work for a flooring company) We have a great relationship, as long as he doesn't tell me how to do things, I won't tell him he's crazy . :rolleyes: Tonight I be resting me bones, so I can pull more carpet tomorrow.

waiting75dpi.JPG

If you are planning on making a bunch of them as I was, they are the way to go! The jigs are pricey but Tim Warris (owner) figures you can make a turnout for all of $11 or $12 each. The first one I made took me close to 3 hours to do, but now I can do one in about an hour (Unless I am at a show demonstrating making them. Then I can do about a half of one in a day..... LOL) If you have some good soldering skills and can read and follow directions, they are not really hard to do and very much worth the expense of the jigs. He has jigs for all scales, codes of track, and turnout sizes. I also have jigs for crossings, and tie spacing etc. For me it was $$$ well spent. Not everyone would find that true.... Oh, Tim can do one in 45 minutes! Of course he has made quite a few. Check out his website (http://www.handlaidtrack.com/category-s/2355.htm) and the Bronx Terminal models he built (both HO and N) - http://www.bronx-terminal.com/ I have had the opportunity to see this marvel up close on a couple occasions and it is wonderful!!!

Here is my NMRA Civil Engineering Merit Award project that shows a Turnout, Crossover, and a crossing that met all the requirements for the certificate. All was hand laid!

Civil001w.png

Beautiful work indeed!! I bought a FastTrack jig and tools a few years ago just to try it and to challenge myself....I had almost the exact same experience as you...the first switch took about 2-3 hours, I kept going back to the pc to watch the instructional video.....the second one I got done in about 50-60 minutes. I really enjoyed making them and found it really satisfying and recommend it to everybody.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back