Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Afternoon, all... took a break from grading papers for my feature-writing students to wrap up some work on my new layout framework. Now gonna get some lunch and get back to the grading...

I keep telling my students this semester they don't know how lucky they've got it -- I was, I'm not proud to say, pretty notorious for slow grading in previous semesters, but I've really turned that around this time.

Have a great afternoon and evening, everyone.

Well its mid-afternoon and I'm taking a break from modeling. This morning and early afternoon, I painted 22 or so window frames for a Cornerstone model, Plant No. 4. Then I installed window glazing in approximately 146 individual panes using a product much like white glue, Crystal Glass, that gives the appearance of glass then dry. You just add a bit of glazing material to a toothpick end and move the toothpick covered with the glass material around the pane until the pane is filled with the white material. It dries clear. No need to be real neat either since it dries clear. Just time consuming.

I painted the frames Rail Brown using a micro-brush. Fun at first and then boring.

I painted the main building, a brick structure, with a reddish primer. from a hardware store purchase.

Painted the base of the model and stairway an aged concrete with a bit of Rail Brown to tone down the concrete color. Used an air brush for this job. Then when dried, I used weathering powers to add an aged look and streaking to the concrete. Even when the paint hasn't fully dried, the drying paint gives a little more "bite" to the weathering powers.

Tomorrow, I'll apply some india ink and alcohol mix to bring out the concrete mortar lines in the building and then add some weathering streaks.

On Tuesday, I'll assemble the building and add some details like signage, a guy standing on the platform and weeds growing up the sides of structure. Also, I'll add a smoke stack or vent on the side of structure for more interest. Maybe board up a few of the lower windows with aged metal panels.

I want the industrial building to look old and dirty.

Now for a break, we'll watch a rented movie.

That's all.

Greg

Here's a couple of pics of my latest build. These help me locate things that need tweaking (like the chimney) before placing it on the layout. The kit is Micro-Scale Models Jennings Company Store. I added a few things, and if starting over would delete a thing or two, as with most craftsman kits!

IMG_3305_zpsnigy36xf.jpg

IMG_3307_zpsogslp3jy.jpg

Evening All,

Spent most of the day doing cleaning around the house and a couple of things outside. No MRR today. Tomorrow morning I have to drive to a pool supply store in Orlando to pickup a new pool pump we ordered. Our other one is FUBAR and with summer coming on fast we need it get it operating and the pool cleaned up.

I had planned on working under the layout today but decided to give my back an extra day and my son will be able to help me tomorrow. We help each other on some of our projects.

Lame- Glad your Dad is OK.

Karl- Nice B&W photo. I like that effect for steam.

Eric- The Big Boy is coming along nicely.

Erik- My daughter hates grading papers but she teaches 2nd grade so you probably have much more of that to do.

Greg- It sounds very tedious but the payoff will be how the building looks when it's complete.

Alan- What a great looking building. Well done.

Garry- I really disliked driving over that bridge. It always seemed so rickety to me and very narrow lanes.

Ken- I hope it works out for you.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Evenin' folks!

Seems like there was a lot of activity here today... I spent the day working the Division, NMRA Booth at the Batavia Train Show. Had a fun and productive day there.

Thanks for the kind words on my track everyone. One of the people I spent the day with is a gentleman named Harold Russell. Some of you may know him as a guy who has published many, many articles on the hobby. Harold is the person who challenged me and pointed me in the right direction many, many times in the hobby (also got me to volunteer at the R&GV RR Museum). My choosing Fast Tracks to help me make turnouts and hand lay track was from his advise. I might add that he is now in his mid eighties and is putting the finishing touches on his "last" layout. It is all hand laid track and turnouts in O scale!!! Awesome!

I guess my point to many of you who are just getting going in the hobby is to find that mentor who can guide you and keep you "on track" with the hobby. I found mine by joining the NMRA.... Also got a lot of good advise on a couple forums I hang around in from time to time. But by far the mentors I have from my division (and others) in the NMRA have made a huge change to my abilities to create a model railroad that I am proud to call mine!

Thanks again for your kind words!

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's a couple of pics of my latest build. These help me locate things that need tweaking (like the chimney) before placing it on the layout. The kit is Micro-Scale Models Jennings Company Store. I added a few things, and if starting over would delete a thing or two, as with most craftsman kits!

Alan ... That's fantastic. ! ..... Perhaps that should be in the Photo Gallery

Howdy Y'all ... Lotsa clouds, no moisture. BUMMER big time.

RAY- Your trackwork there is just flawless. That is so good. Which two items do you lack?
I know of several folks who have their Certificates. It is a great accomplishment.

ALAN- Very nice build on the store. I like the signage.

EVERYBODY- Will try to catch up later .. running behind on several projects today.

Howdy Y'all ... Lotsa clouds, no moisture. BUMMER big time.

RAY- Your trackwork there is just flawless. That is so good. Which two items do you lack?
I know of several folks who have their Certificates. It is a great accomplishment.

Thank you Sherrel! I currently have: Master Builder Scenery, Model Railroad Engineer - Electrical, Model Railroad Engineer - Civil, Association Official, and Association Volunteer. I am currently working on Master Builder Structures and then need to decide on either Master Builder Motive Power or Master Builder Cars... For the Structures I have to build 12 models. Six of them must earn Merit Awards (I have two currently and two more that will be evaluated over the summer I hope). Also six of them have to qualify as Scratch Built (the two I have merit awards for now qualify as scratch built as are the two I hope will earn Merit Awards over the summertime.)

Thank you Sherrel! I currently have: Master Builder Scenery, Model Railroad Engineer - Electrical, Model Railroad Engineer - Civil, Association Official, and Association Volunteer. I am currently working on Master Builder Structures and then need to decide on either Master Builder Motive Power or Master Builder Cars... For the Structures I have to build 12 models. Six of them must earn Merit Awards (I have two currently and two more that will be evaluated over the summer I hope). Also six of them have to qualify as Scratch Built (the two I have merit awards for now qualify as scratch built as are the two I hope will earn Merit Awards over the summertime.)

Show Off!! LOL! :rolleyes::cool:
I only have Model Railroad Author. Hopefully I can play catch up with the new layout.

Ray: That's quite an accomplishment. It takes a lot of time and effort to meet the requirements, and it's worth it.

I spent some time crawling under the layout running temporary wiring to the feeders. Finally found my connectors, so next week I can start running the buss. Then I can transition the feeders to the buss. Meanwhile, I can have some fun running the "test train". My legs and joints don't like all that bending any more.

Alan: Nice job on the Company Store.

Curt:
First time I saw that bridge in Charleston, I thought they were kidding. They couldn't possibly expect people to drive over it. Not sorry to see it replaced.

The kitty goes to the Vet tomorrow, for dental work, hopefully, I will get some yard work done this week.

Curt: For me the secret to grading papers without getting lost in the weeds was to go back to grading them in hard copy with pen, instead of opening up the Word file on the computer. That and setting a time limit for myself.

I need to post up some update pics of my layout. Spent a good part of the afternoon building trees and getting them planted on the layout and getting the engine house painted and of course I'll have it put together come tomorrow. It feels good to be at it again. Y'all have a good night.

Justin

Good morning, it's 46*F and raining here in central MD.

Alan - fantastic job on that country store!

Karl - you've got the same one-and-only certificate that I've got. I originally started on that quest back in 2002, but then realized I needed to get a layout built. Hard to do both with a daytime job.

Finished the shelving for my layout extension yesterday. All my muscles are hurting this morning, this old bod' simply isn't as flexible as it once was! Now it's time for me to get ready for another 5 days of the rat race.

Good morning. It's cloudy and 40.
I already have a full week ahead at work, we'll see how much they can add to it, and still get everything done.

Good Morning All. 68 degrees with overcast skies this morning. Slight chance of rain, but none on the nearby radar. Sporadic modeling again yesterday. Weather is just too nice outside and I have been catching up on some long-neglected projects around the place. I did install about a half-dozen ground throws and ran some through freights from one end of the layout to the other.
Bob - Wow! $100 for 8 locomotives, can't pass that up.
Garry - Not a chance on a buyout! They would have just terminated...like they did to six of my fellow managers. They never did say why they kept me around. I'm OK though...even though it will still be awhile before I collect full SS, I was prepared to be cut loose a couple of years ago.
Justin - Welcome back, we missed you.
Alan - Pretty neat company store. You did a good job on it.
Ray - Congrats on your MMR progress so far. I don't have the patience for that.
Eric - Nice progress. There is a static Big Boy at the "Museum of American Railroad", nearby in Frisco TX. It was previously located at the "Age of Steam" museum in Dallas, but they were cramped for space there and have been slowly moving stuff to the new location. It's pretty impressive in person.
OK, everyone have a happy Monday.

Willie

49 and cloudy here. Heading towards 75 later and then showers for the evening and night.
I'm growing to despise this job at Larry's house. His idea of background noise is blasting the same freaking pop top-40 radio station that plays the same 10 songs all day long. We're only 1 year difference in age so you would think we'd have the same time frame of musical taste. Not so.
It wasn't so bad when I had all that work in the master b/r with attached bath and walk-in closet. I could close the door and turn on the TV. I never found a news channel but settled on the Smithsonian Channel and that suited me fine!.

I didn't finish off the Big Boy yesterday. There is trouble with how the arms that connect body to the front drive unit. I'll have to cobble up something to make it work. Other than that, it's pretty much done.
I didn't do anything else train-wise. Maybe next weekend I'll get a little more done. My MBK order should be here today or tomorrow.
E.

Good morning, it is 30 and snowing again. It melted yesterday and decided to give us more today. Not to worry, supposed to be 60 this weekend! We are really on a roller coaster.

Alan, I like the company store.

I got most of my mid-town oil built over the weekend. I will add a couple finishing touches and put it on the layout, maybe post a couple pics tomorrow.

That's right, Willie, a hundred dollars for eight locos. I bought them and the S2 4-8-4 from the same person on Trainboard. I paid $80 for the S4, still a great price!

I spent some time working on the LifeLike SD7's last night and I think I'll put decoders in them. They run very well and I really like what Garry has done on his layout having the Great Northern and Burlington Route running in close proximity. The Kato F's turned out to be two F7 A units and an F3 B unit. They are really beautiful and will definitely be getting decoders. They also have sprung diaphragms added to them as do the Inter-Mountain CB&Q FT's which will be getting chipped as well.

I haven't decided what I will do with the S2 yet. I like the idea of a steam special but haven't made up my mind. Most likely will depend on how hard it will be to put a decoder in. If I can, I would like to put an ESU MicroSelect decoder with sound in it. Then I would definitely keep it!

I'll worry about that later, I need to get some sleep now. Hope everyone has a great day!

Good morning. A chilly start for the day at 26 degrees, but it is supposed to get up into the high 60's.

Sure missed a lot yesterday. Caught some on the phone, but I will have to go back and check the posts.

Ray - Great work and congrats on your accomplishments.

Alan - The store is outstanding. Well done. That will be a great addition to your layout.

Ken - any progress photos of the Ford plant ???

Lame - Glad all seems to be well for your dad.

Greg - you make me feel quite jealous that you are so close to the Walthers showroom.

Never did get any work done on the layout yesterday. Forgot that we had a bowling tournament up in Helena. Guess there's always another day.

Greg - you make me feel quite jealous that you are so close to the Walthers showroom.

As another denizen of SE Wis, that is a nice perk -- although I've found my LHS will order from Walthers AND discount at a level that rivals MBK, so I usually go through him. (For nonresidents, alas, I'm not sure he does much in the mail order business, though, other than eBay...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back