Running Bear's Coffee Shop LX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good evening Everybody!

Chet I am busy, working has been good for me and profitable, but my free time is thin. I am not working today, just getting caught up on other things. I never realized all the things I did when I was disabled, until I started working again.

The field trip was fun although the layout is much the same as it has been the last 2 years. They did add a blizzard scene, a lot of artificial snow spread over and existing scene, blizzard! Even I could have done that. I was intrigued watching a gondola with a Christmas tree load hit the top of the little trestle bridge over and over until it derailed. I told the guy it was hitting the first time it ran through, but he ignored me. His solution was to remove that entire train from the layout. The kids were fascinated for about 5 minutes, the normal attention span for kids to watch trains. Put the throttle in their hands and they can last much longer. The layout is 90% MTH O so of course I had to wear my Lionel hat. They also have some HO and N mixed in, "adds perspective" the guy told me, uh huh. All in all it was fun and I thanked them for having us.

I can't believe we are half way through the third week of advent already, time is flying by and still Santa has much to do.

Thank God for the energy and strength to do it, thank God for EVERYTHING!

Last edited by a moderator:
It got to 70 degrees here in Winslow Az today. I went out to the container to grab a few things that im selling and found my trestle bridges i made around 16 years ago. They have a little damage all the handrails are missing, but all in all there in pretty good shape.

Attachments

• 2016-12-14 16.39.33.jpg
    2016-12-14 16.39.33.jpg
    238.6 KB · Views: 284
  • 2016-12-14 16.38.25.jpg
    2016-12-14 16.38.25.jpg
    242.1 KB · Views: 306
Winslow, AZ? Dang, I've been tryin to get some details about the Diablo Canyon bridge. That's just a few miles from you.
I'm planning on building a scale replica of it for my empire. I'm tryin the figure out the dimensions of the main arch beams, height and width. Would you happen to know that off hand?

Afternoon All,

Tomorrow I'm going up to see Jon and Phil so probably little or no layout work.

Sherrel- I wish you the best with the hernia. It's something that you need to do. Is it Outpatient or are you spending the night there? Is it from all those years when you lifted the planes into the sky (should of bent your knees)? :D

The W/S Asphalt paint is still wet on the roadway.

CURT -- Good one .. I'm gonna try and see if I can get you a gig on SNL. Outpatient they say. Hope they stick with that.
Be sure and wish Phil a Merry Christmas from me and hope that he is doing OK.
Your Asphalt looks very noce, and that is a great place for the station.

AND THE NEXT CHAPTER IN THE COMPUTER TALES: Stopped by the Geeks on the way home - computer booted up and ran flawlessly.
I give up .. it has a life of its own .. I will lock it away in yhe closet when I turn in tonight.

Good evening gents

The evil water heater has been vanquished, for now. BGE Home sent out a different guy today who was totally baffled about where the water at the top of the heater had come from, but then he also found several wires that were unhooked under the cover plate, like they had been pulled from the wirenuts. He dried out the electrical box, reattached the wires properly, and even called out a "Senior tech" to examine the unit. We have hot water for now. All in a week, a new pressure tank and a hot water heater repair. What next, the washer?? Oh wait, don't say it!

Karl- I hope you get it fixed tomorrow. Was the picture of your old water heater or a new one?

20161213_220631.jpg

Installed new, June of 2014 according to the inspectors approval sticker. Yea, we gotta have permits here to replace an electric water heater( See Absurdistan)
Tonight, the house has hot water, the woodstove is burning, and the new HVAC system is quietly circulating the warm air in the basement throughout the house. SWMBO and the cats are happy, life is good!

Curt
, I like the placement of the station!!

Sherrel, Beady and anyone else who had the pleasure, one more time, with feeling!

[video=youtube;X8Ow1nlafOg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8Ow1nlafOg[/video]
:rolleyes:

I do kinda feel left out here, no one has ever done a song about having a stroke!:p

2869ral Nice bridges!

Garry, Nice plumbing supply place. my little people shop for stuff like that at the I.P.Dailey plumbing supply Co.;)

Speaking of jeffrey,,,Jeffreyintheam.JPG, I miss the guy too.

Gotta go! L8ter!

CURT -- Good one .. I'm gonna try and see if I can get you a gig on SNL. Outpatient they say. Hope they stick with that.
Be sure and wish Phil a Merry Christmas from me and hope that he is doing OK.
Your Asphalt looks very noce, and that is a great place for the station.

AND THE NEXT CHAPTER IN THE COMPUTER TALES: Stopped by the Geeks on the way home - computer booted up and ran flawlessly.
I give up .. it has a life of its own .. I will lock it away in yhe closet when I turn in tonight.
Have you talked to an exorcist?

Good evening fellers. No Dr.s appts. Apparently Dad got the dates wrong. I have one tomorrow here locally with my local "official" Dr. since I have so many. My g-tube hole has completely grown over shut and I removed ostomy bag from it myself this afternoon. Except for a wee scab, it is totally healed over.
I've been on a TPN feeding machine for about 2 weeks now anyway. It does me just fine and I have been taking care of it completely on my own afternoon a single day's training. Hopefully, we'll keep it this way and no g-tubes for nourishments.
This Monday I have a PET scan appt. and a follow up appt the next day with my oncologist to see where we go from here. I expect that will either be a couple more chemo sessions and then onto chemo and radiation for the next go round. Or skip that and go straight in to radiation soon.
I don't really have an idea one way or the other. I do know I've had a couple pretty bad last couple of days. Nothing really in particular that stands - just everything in general gets to me now and then. Gets kind of depressing actually. At least in the hospital people are coming by all the time to check on me or draw blood or something. It's human interaction if nothing else. Here at the house I see no one unless Mom or Dad comes downstairs or I drag myself up stairs to fill up my water glass. Even the cat doesn't come down to visit. Gets real depressing real fast here.
Although I thoroughly enjoyed the good snow shower we got the other day. Been a few decades since I was able to just sit and watch and enjoy one.

Other than that nothing going on here.
My weight went up a little btw. 104 today. Even hit 109 yesterday!!

At least I'm still on a right side of the grass!
E.

Winslow, AZ? Dang, I've been tryin to get some details about the Diablo Canyon bridge. That's just a few miles from you.
I'm planning on building a scale replica of it for my empire. I'm tryin the figure out the dimensions of the main arch beams, height and width. Would you happen to know that off hand?

No i dont, but i will find out. Im also going to build a scale replica. I do know its approx. 550ft long, 310ft deep. Go to google and look up the city of canyon diablo, its a heck of a story. Lots of history around here! Also look up the Apache death cave, another interesting story from this area. I will let you know what i find out about the bridge. Im an engineer/conductor for BNSF and i have a lot of friends in the MOW department and i can also get you some pics. I plan on going out there next summer to take pictures.

I have stopped my Eastbound train right in the middle of that bridge waiting for Westbound traffic. WOW! You wouldnt believe how much that bridge flexes and bounces when a train goes over it. You dont stop a train on that bridge too often, its unnerving!! We have a fred harvey hotel here called the La Posada, they have several pictures of the original bridge over the canyon. I will take some pics of those pictures and post them as soon as i can.

Well here I thought it was a quiet day here at the coffee shop. Boy was I wrong! Anyways I enjoy everyone's layout photos. I have been doing very little to say the least on my build. I have added some trees around the camp houses. I'll have to post a pic of them. Athearn wants me to send them one of my units so they can look at it to give me a definite answer to my woes. I'll do up some active troubleshooting first. I don't really wanna cough up one of my favorite locomotives just yet. Anyways y'all have a good night and hopefully I'll get updates on future posts from the coffee shop.

Sent from my LGLS675 using Tapatalk

Good late night all,

It was a long day but I got a fair amount accomplished. After two tries and dropping the mounting bolts which rolled under the flywheel which i had to fish out twice, I finally got the starter mounted on my tractor as well as getting the cable connected. I then tightened the head bolts down on both heads and pulled both spark plugs out and wire-wheeled them off and used a long heavy needle which I ground flat a bit on two opposite sides so it would slide around the center porcelin part of the plug to clean out the old carbon. Re-gaped them and screwed them snugly back into the heads.

Good morning, everybody ....

Yesterday, I was in Nashville for a post surgery follow up appointment, and all went well.

Everybody: .... Does anybody recall the date Jeff Wimberly (Running Bear) Passed away? I remember it was in December two years ago. I still miss that guy.

Have a good day, everyone.

Garry: Jeffrey Wimberley passed away at 4:00 Am., as I recall, today December 15th, which is also my Birthday so hard to forget. I kind of thought of him as a brother although there was no connection between us.

Glad your follow-up appointment went well.

Good morning everyone....
Fresh coffee is made....
Hope that you're all doing well....
One more shift before the weekend!
Have a nice day!

Good morning Everybody!

Another full day on tap, thank God!

Thank you David for remembering our good friend Jeffery.

RIP Jeffery, we miss you.

Have a great day Everybody!

God bless us Everyone.

No i dont, but i will find out. Im also going to build a scale replica. I do know its approx. 550ft long, 310ft deep. Go to google and look up the city of canyon diablo, its a heck of a story. Lots of history around here! Also look up the Apache death cave, another interesting story from this area. I will let you know what i find out about the bridge. Im an engineer/conductor for BNSF and i have a lot of friends in the MOW department and i can also get you some pics. I plan on going out there next summer to take pictures.

I appreciate the efforts. Yes, I have been around the internet and read the stories about that area. Lots of pictures and YouTube videos of it but no specific dimension other than what you stated. I have a section of my layout that the scale size of that bridge will fit with no compression. So far, I have guestimated the scale size of the main arch beams to be 1/2" x 3/8". I can only find that size in solid brass. Plastic would be too flexible for the size.

[video=youtube;PNhBv7kTJIQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNhBv7kTJIQ[/video]

Good Morning All. 35° and overcast today. Today is supposed to be 43° for the high, tomorrow 73°...quite a change.
Once again I didn't spend a lot of time in the train shed yesterday. Tis the season to be busy with Christmas tree, gifts, decorations, baking multitudes of cookies (wife got frustrated and I took over yesterday), and drooling over "Amazon" pages. I did start another cardstock structure while I had all of the tools and supplies out. More on that later.

Louis - Good to hear that you and the boys enjoyed the display.
Bruce - Pretty aggressive expansion that you have planned there. Looking forward to the pictures.
Garry - Good news about the post-op. Thanks for the comment. Nice looking plumbing supply. I recognize that lumber yard next door, looks like my builder came to your layout as well.
Sherrel -
It's going in to the Geeks today and if they cannot backup and do a clean Win10 install .. Then I will trash it .. I have had enough.
Had to pull out thr washer and dryer this morning .. Gas line on the dryer finally rubbed a hole in the vent hose. I don't know why that brain dead plumbers can't put the connections for appliances where they are supposed to be. This was a spec house, and you would think that there would have been some scrutiny or close oversite on how it was constructed. There is a drain in the floor of the laundry room that is higher than the tile floor. Lotta good that does .. The whole upstairs would have inch deep water before anything at all drained.
I guess that's life in CA.
Karl - Wow! Rough times with the heater. I'm sure that you are glad that you got it fixed...cold showers in December are no fun.
Johnny - Benchwork looks really good.
laying some track, starting some scenery, and running a train!
Don't really need the scenery to begin running trains!!!!
Curt -
MOH always says it is illegal to ask your age, but I don't know if that is true or not.
That's only true in regards to employment. Proof of age/ID (on the earlier end of life) is required to make many purchases here in TX; alcohol, tobacco, aerosol paints, firearms, adult toys and admission to bars/nightclubs and certain movies for example. I guess that if you look old, they just don't push it!!! LOL
Nice work on the station by the way.
Beady -
What? Wives?
Marriage = "Begins with a blessing, ends with a kiss. Makes life easier by making it worse!"
Eric - Sorry to hear that there have been down days. Just seeing posts from you lifts my spirits though. Sounds like some positive stuff going on as well.
David -
finally got the starter mounted on my tractor
Did it start? Happy Birthday.

Well it's time to feed the cats outside as they are banging against the door.
Everybody have an awesome day.

Willie

I appreciate the efforts. Yes, I have been around the internet and read the stories about that area. Lots of pictures and YouTube videos of it but no specific dimension other than what you stated. I have a section of my layout that the scale size of that bridge will fit with no compression. So far, I have guestimated the scale size of the main arch beams to be 1/2" x 3/8". I can only find that size in solid brass. Plastic would be too flexible for the size.

Its said that the BNSF has another Canyon Diablo bridge (in pieces) on standby in a hanger in Kingman Az.

Good morning - it's 26 and clear here in southwest Missouri. Got a stuffy nose this morning, probably from doing some woodwork in my shop, which is in a separate garage - it has a woodburning heater, but that takes too long to heat the place up if I'm only going to be there 15 minutes or a half hour. Soooo - I'm on my second cup of hot liquid and taking Echinacea, which usually kicks this kind of thing fast.

Chet - congratulations from me, too, on your 45 years. We're 42 years yesterday.
Garry - I hear ya on the backdrops issue. I have three that have already arrived and some more on the way. The benchtops aren't screwed down yet and the sections aren't screwed to each other or to the walls, so I have some time yet to put the backgrounds up. BTW, that's a real nice looking plumbing supply place.
Curt - A very nice looking station. I've got to find both a passenger station and a freight dock that will work good in our layout.

Moved the legs on the first section back 7" from the edge, so that's done. Measured for bracing for that section and will cut and screw those in place tonight. Then on to the other sections that need some final work.

Anyone ever read "Rival Rails" by Walter Borneman? I picked it up when a local bookstore was going out of business some years ago, started reading it, and put it down. Mind you, this was before I ever got my current interest in model rr-ing. Pulled it off the shelf this week and got back into it. Fascinating history of the railroad companies as they competed to connect cities and towns in the westward expansion of the mid-to-late 1800's.

Catch ya later.
Johnny (Raincoat2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back