Running Bear's Coffee Shop LX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning Everybody!

A field trip with my grandsons' school to the local firehouse to see a train garden is on the schedule today.

Speaking of train gardens, I found this on Facebook;
1tgc.jpg
http://todays1019.cbslocal.com/2016/12/09/christmas-train-garden-central/#.WFCoNq6O3Ow.facebook

Have a great day Everybody!

Good Morning All. 36° and overcast this morning. Lately, the days are starting off a bit yucky, but by noon, we've been getting great afternoons around here. Temps in the mid-50's, sunny and no wind. I'm making great progress on getting the garden ready for spring planting in about six weeks. Spent part of the morning yesterday getting four new tires put on my wife's SUV at the local small town tire place. Wasn't too bad at all. She ordered them Monday and when I drove up, four young men jumped up and went straight to work. Twenty minutes later (yes twenty), I had four new tires mounted, balanced and installed; and I was on the way. That's what I call service.
Not too much time in the train shed yesterday as other parts of life took precedence (see above). I ran a few switching runs at the new ethanol processing facility that I just put in, to test the track(s) in all directions with a variety of equipment. So far, so good. No structures yet, just track and two of the four loading rigs.

Thanks to all on the comments on the cardstock structures, Chet, Ken, Curt & David.
Ken in Md - Some of the cardstock structures do have some surface relief to them. It's done by gluing extra layers where you want them. Using the computer, I can match the colors and print up some stock parts for each structure that didn't already have some.
Curt -
Willie- Please don't think I was belittling your excellent modeling.
No way that I took it that way. Just wanted to point out that the picture of the pawn shop wasn't good enough to show the clear styrene. They are neat structures, but for now they are for background scenes. Still learning them right now. I do plan to play with them a bit to see how I can improve them. I probably have 20 more on the computer that I haven't printed yet. I am always intrigued by new methods and some variety from the run of the mill plastic kits. I did like the results obtained from cutting out the windows and using the styrene, and I will experiment with that on others. The other plus is that if you screw something up, you just re-print the page(s) and try it again.
Louis - It's not cheap, it's frugal. A few years back, I had to start asking places of business if they had "senior discounts", and was surprised by how many actually have them and don't advertise them. Some actually start at 55 YO. I'm not old enough for the 65 bracket yet, but none around here ask for proof anyway. Being an honest person, I don't take advantage of that, but my wife does qualify.

Everybody have an awesome day. It's time to put up the Christmas tree today.

Willie

12 degrees and another good day to do nothing outside! Three shots in the coffee today! Got hooked on a Russian tv series on you tube about Criminal Battalions in WW2. The subtitles are MESSED up and I'm having to learn Russian as we go. It's not too cheesy and actually pretty good. I like Russian movies and tv shows, the acting is as good as you will see anywhere, the production values are surprisingly high, good special effects AUTHENTIC equipment and weapons and a compelling story line.

I am starting to envision the next construction phase of the layout. The mock tunnel line and the fourth line for the second horseshoe are planned out but I need 15" sectional and about another CASE of flex! The spur yard will take 100 feet of track by itself and the mock tunnel line is 30 feet, another ladder yard and one more loop(#6) will eat up the rest.

Good morning, all - 30 here and will be nice for a couple of days - then the weekend hits us with 7 for a low both nights and a possibility of snow. Hey, Chet - come on down and get warm! A BIG cuppa coffee for me, please, and a couple of plain doughnuts - I like to dunk 'em!

Got the 4X8-foot section of the benchwork (a peninsula) done and in place - have to screw additional legs into place, and brace it. Also have to finish bracing one other section, and move the legs in 7 inches on the first section. But that will complete "Phase 1." We'll start laying some track in a week or so - some of it will be permanent, since I already know how that part of the layout will work - and some of it will be temporary, so we can test out how our plans will fit, and so we can get something moving :) Tried copying a photo of the benchwork but it's not working - don't know why. Will try again later when I have some time.

Right now, gotta finish gulping down this coffee and get to work.
See ya later.
Johnny

Photos are tricky, Sometimes I must "go advanced" to get to browse my pics.

In Private Message mode I cannot add pics no matter what I try.

Good morning, everybody ....

Yesterday, I was in Nashville for a post surgery follow up appointment, and all went well.

Everybody: .... Does anybody recall the date Jeff Wimberly (Running Bear) Passed away? I remember it was in December two years ago. I still miss that guy.

Looking back at the prior Coffee Shop thread :

Willie ..... The folded paper structures look good.

Curt ... Looks like you found a good location for the depot.

Have a good day, everyone.

Morning Everyone! Starting to get light enough to see outside. I've been up almost three hours. Not really getting much done .. Damn ASUS laptop has decided to clunk out this morning .. Been trying to get it to boot for over an hour .. Gave up and am back on the iPad.
TERRY .. It's going in to the Geeks today and if they cannot backup and do a clean Win10 install .. Then I will trash it .. I have had enough.
Had to pull out thr washer and dryer this morning .. Gas line on the dryer finally rubbed a hole in the vent hose. I don't know why that brain dead plumbers can't put the connections for appliances where they are supposed to be. This was a spec house, and you would think that there would have been some scrutiny or close oversite on how it was constructed. There is a drain in the floor of the laundry room that is higher than the tile floor. Lotta good that does .. The whole upstairs would have inch deep water before anything at all drained.
Ok .. Finally made some headway on getting the hernia taken care of. It has really been getting larger- like tennis ball- and has lately been giving me some pains. Surgery is set for the 22nd and a pre opt today at 1:30. Guess that the "repair" will be my Christmas present this year .. YAY!

ERIC. Any news to tell us this morning?

Well .. Let us see what the remainder of the day brings, huh?

GOOD LUCK! I liked my hernia so much I had another on the other side to match! Make sure to tell em to cut you vertically if it is possible! I had one each way and the horizontal cut still gives me trouble even though it was years ago.

Good morning. I'll watch the paint. Black Coffee with a sweet roll please. The way the way started off, you might put a shot of whiskey in it.

Stated off at 5 degrees with clear skies. Got to work and ended up having server problems that won't let us access the programs we need. Four letter word, four letter word, four letter word.

Louis - You seem busier than a one armed paper hanger.

Curt - Looks like a fine spot for the station. Maybe you could run an access road over a grade crossing from the road on the other side of the main line.

GARRY - Sounds like good news from the post-op appointment. Thumb up.gif

Johnny - We'll be waiting for photos.

Sherrel - I feel your pain. banghead_125.gif

May as well post a photo. Haven't seen 113 yet. Maybe this will get his attention.

tumblr_n8j5a1k3rL1rxwen9o1_500.jpg

Later. Have to get a 'puter up and working.

CHET. DONT KNOW HOW WE WOULD live without them anymore, but at times, they do make life difficult too!
BTW. THAT POSTERshould get his attention .. Very nice!

BRUCE. Thanks much for reminding me on the vertical cut. I remember either you or someone else mentioned that before and already I had forgot. Tied a string on my finger .. Now if I can remember what the string is for?

Weather out here is stuck .. 50 at night and 68-70 day .. My kinda winter!

Good morning, almost afternoon gang.
Welcome to day 2, no hot water. After replacing the element that failed, the plumber skeedattled saying give it an hour to recharge, then it will be ok. 4 hours later it was still cold, except for the cover to the electrical connections. I pulled the cover off and found it full of rusty water!!
20161213_220631.jpg

The plumber is due back today, SWMBO, like a tigress, is layin in wait.

Good morning, almost afternoon gang.
Welcome to day 2, no hot water. After replacing the element that failed, the plumber skeedattled saying give it an hour to recharge, then it will be ok. 4 hours later it was still cold, except for the cover to the electrical connections. I pulled the cover off and found it full of rusty water!!

Now I know where the plumber went after he "skeedattled" from my laundry room!

Okay - after a couple of morning meetings and a couple of cups of coffee, I've got a minute to get back on the forum.

Here are two photos showing the current state of our benchwork - this will be an around the walls layout with a couple of peninsulas - basically an out-and-back layout, although eventually we may put in another town - hey, building one town at a time is enough for me!! One peninsula is done (that new 4X8 footer in the photos), the other will be Phase 2, and will run between those two wooden posts, with a turnaround at the far end. Future expansion may include through the wall in that back left corner, but I'll have to be careful because that room has the incoming pipe from the well, water heater, whole house water filter, water softener, other plumbing - we could expand a little in the main train room, but we're limited there. Like I said earlier, still have to screw another four legs to the new section, brace it and one of the other sections, and move the legs on the first section - but we're excited about laying some track, starting some scenery, and running a train!
Johnny

December 14 benchwork update 2.jpg

December 12 benchwork update 2.jpg

Karl - I well know what you're up against. Been there and done that. As I have mentioned before, we are on well water, which by the way is some great tasting water, but is hard. Every spring I would have to drain the water heater, pull out the lower element and use the shop vac to suck out all of the calcium that built up over the past year. Some of the time the lower element would also be burned out because of the calcium. I have no problem doing plumbing work, usually.

We finally had it and got our tankless water heater. In order to have it under warantee, we also added a water softener, which we had been talking about for a long time. For this job we did call in a plumber. We had to tap into the gas line for the tankless heater and I didn't want to play with a gas line. We figured that he would have everything he needed to complete the installation, which he did. Instead of venting it out through the roof, we vented it right out of the wall tha it was mounted on. The shorter the vent, the better it is supposed to work. One thing we didn't do was to do a total re-plumbing. We just removed the old water heater which left the pipes about 20" from the wall. The whole job was completed in about 4 hours, including the gas line work.

When we did out remodeling this past summer, we blew out a wall between two bedrooms and built a small closet around where the old heter was. I keep some of my model railroad supplies in this closet now just feet from my work bench.

IMAG0889.jpg My computer is on the right side just out of the photo in front of the chair.

Now that the entire upper level of the house has been renovated I am hoping that the wife doesn't get any more wild ideas.

Johnny - Looking good. I have four towns on my layout but didn't build them immediately. I figured out where the industries would be and ran sidings to them. Eventually the industry building or facility was put in and than later the town was build around the track and industry.

Last edited by a moderator:
Afternoon All,

Did my laundry today and worked some more on the station area. I thought I needed to order several detail parts but looking through my odds and ends all I need to order is some ornate fencing. I have the Bar Mills instant wood fencing but I want something nicer for a display at the station inspired by Jeff and his layout.

Tomorrow I'm going up to see Jon and Phil so probably little or no layout work.

Willie- MOH always says it is illegal to ask your age, but I don't know if that is true or not.

NG- That TV show sounds interesting. I look forward to seeing your progress on your empire.

Eric- Hope everything went well with the Doc yesterday.

CA Dave- Unfortunately the track in the foreground stops just outside of the frame. That siding also has the stock yard, meat packing plant and ice house on it . The structure in the lower left corner is the ice house.

Garry- I was also thinking of Jeff yesterday. I also miss him a lot. Sometimes he was rough around the edges, but he was always completely honest and would help you anytime you needed it.

Sherrel- I wish you the best with the hernia. It's something that you need to do. Is it Outpatient or are you spending the night there? Is it from all those years when you lifted the planes into the sky (should of bent your knees)? :D

Karl- I hope you get it fixed tomorrow. Was the picture of your old water heater or a new one?

Johnny- Very nice looking bench work.

Chet- You have been married long enough to know any wife can always find something that "has to get done".

The W/S Asphalt paint is still wet on the roadway.

20161214_144206_zps0qmbdlzj.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

CHET. DONT KNOW HOW WE WOULD live without them anymore, but at times, they do make life difficult too!
What? Wives?

BRUCE. Thanks much for reminding me on the vertical cut. I remember either you or someone else mentioned that before and already I had forgot. Tied a string on my finger .. Now if I can remember what the string is for?
I've never had a horizontal incision, just two vertical, and they both healed right up. One runs from just below the sternum to the navel, and the other from the navel to the groin; with the navel, it all looks like a zipper.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
Guess it's time to head home.

Curt - The station looks good. Well done. Yes, married for 45 years this month.

Karl - Let us know if the plumber survived.

Later.

Good afternoon ...

Chet ... Congrats for the 45 years. That is wonderful.

Curt ... Your station looks "just right" in that location.

Johnny .... Your bench work looks great.... You should plan your backdrop, and install it while you can reach the back of the layout without breaking things in the way.

Karl .... Good luck with the water heater. ..... We have a failed water heater now with another on order. Our type is propane with direct vent, and it takes a while. ... We have two water heaters, and so only half of the house is affected.

Speaking of plumbing, here is my plumbing supply house.

plumbing%20supply%201_zpsx4irnxkh.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back