Running Bear's Coffee Shop LVIII

Good morning. We're at 45 degrees this morning with a high expected in the high 50's. Looks like the nice weather is going south soon. We're expecting a cool down by Wednesday with lows in the single digits and the possibility of snow.

Never got on the forum over the weekend. I totally spaced things out and forgot that we had a bowling tournament in Butte on Saturday. Sunday we had some friends over to watch the NASCAR race and I never got down to the train room.

Garry - Hope things go well. My grandfather had the same problem and had to get "tuned up" every five years.

Bruce - You're making some nice progress. Waiting to see the scenery you're talking about.

Terry - That's a nice looking locomotive. Too bad you aren't modeling the Horseshoe Curve. I believe that I saw a K-4 on display there years ago.

Curt - The signals are looking good. Hoping the LED's show up soon.

Willie - You have the beginnings of a nice looking main street with those buildings.

Justin - I haven't bought any Atheran locomotives since the early 80's with the exception of a Genisis F-7. The Atheran locomotives that I do have were all remotored, and they were hard wired with connections soldered to motor and to the trucks. Don't know if the new Athearn locomotives still have the metal strap attached to the motor and trucks, but that wasn't very dependable. Not a single one of them now have an Athearn motor as they were replaced with can motors.

Catch you all later.

Chet, The RTR Athearns still use the old open motor, but not the contact strips over the motor. Only Genesis gets can motors.

New Guy - "Yes, we all agree on overbuilding. We just disagree on how MUCH is "enuff"! LOL! I had a guy that builds houses build the layout so he built a layout sized house! The wind could rip the roof off the house and the track off the layout but this table is going NOWHERE!"

Wish I could build a solid layout like that. I envy many of you who have dedicated basements, or barns or other outbuildings for your layouts. Maybe someday in the future. For our current arrangement, I agreed not to secure our layout to the floor but I can secure it to the walls (as long as I don't tear up the paneling). Idea is that this will not be a permanent layout, because some day we may want to turn it into a family room again. Most likely not for a looooong time (if ever). Anyway, like Garry, Willie, and several others, I've decided to go with 1X4 framing and 1X2 legs, but with cross-bracing on the legs to prevent at least most problems with people inadvertently kicking the legs, stumbling, etc. I really have learned a lot from the discussions and the photos many have posted - really helped me solve problems and see how things ought to look and work.

Johnny

New Guy - "Yes, we all agree on overbuilding. We just disagree on how MUCH is "enuff"! LOL! I had a guy that builds houses build the layout so he built a layout sized house! The wind could rip the roof off the house and the track off the layout but this table is going NOWHERE!"

Wish I could build a solid layout like that. I envy many of you who have dedicated basements, or barns or other outbuildings for your layouts. Maybe someday in the future. For our current arrangement, I agreed not to secure our layout to the floor but I can secure it to the walls (as long as I don't tear up the paneling). Idea is that this will not be a permanent layout, because some day we may want to turn it into a family room again. Most likely not for a looooong time (if ever). Anyway, like Garry, Willie, and several others, I've decided to go with 1X4 framing and 1X2 legs, but with cross-bracing on the legs to prevent at least most problems with people inadvertently kicking the legs, stumbling, etc. I really have learned a lot from the discussions and the photos many have posted - really helped me solve problems and see how things ought to look and work.

Johnny

That's where design over strength of materials comes in. No matter what you use, angled legs along any wall is a good idea. No chance of feets interrupting ops sessions.
WIN_20150929_221552.JPGI followed that design all the way around, if I had no "standing" sections there would be no vertical legs.

Good morning. We're at 45 degrees this morning with a high expected in the high 50's. Looks like the nice weather is going south soon. We're expecting a cool down by Wednesday with lows in the single digits and the possibility of snow.

Never got on the forum over the weekend. I totally spaced things out and forgot that we had a bowling tournament in Butte on Saturday. Sunday we had some friends over to watch the NASCAR race and I never got down to the train room.

Garry - Hope things go well. My grandfather had the same problem and had to get "tuned up" every five years.

Bruce - You're making some nice progress. Waiting to see the scenery you're talking about.

Terry - That's a nice looking locomotive. Too bad you aren't modeling the Horseshoe Curve. I believe that I saw a K-4 on display there years ago.

Curt - The signals are looking good. Hoping the LED's show up soon.

Willie - You have the beginnings of a nice looking main street with those buildings.

Justin - I haven't bought any Atheran locomotives since the early 80's with the exception of a Genisis F-7. The Atheran locomotives that I do have were all remotored, and they were hard wired with connections soldered to motor and to the trucks. Don't know if the new Athearn locomotives still have the metal strap attached to the motor and trucks, but that wasn't very dependable. Not a single one of them now have an Athearn motor as they were replaced with can motors.

Catch you all later.

Mee too! I keep getting almost there and a "new" track needs to be sussed out. I am running out of track that displeases me so I'm thinking MAYBE this summer the track will all be where it is supposed to be and a tree or a building may sprout up by next Christmas, maybe.

Furnace should be all done by the end of today and for about 400 less than I thought, still outrageous but we dodged another bullet! Maybe Daddy will get some metal wheels after all? I'd be more than happy to see those 22"'s come in today.

Nope, no 22"'s but at least I can type with no coat on.

Thinking of warmer climes. I've probably asked before and forgot, what IS this under the people on the rails here?
images69GWMLBD.jpgI really want to model this! I suppose it would not matter what I used but in the interests of "proto" I'd at least like to try to approximate.

Good morning ..

Thanks for all the comments.... The surgery should be minor unless the doctor decides to remove a lead. He now says all leads are functioning as they should, and that will not happen this time. I hope to be home late in the day of surgery. ... Everything else is fine.

New Guy .... How would you like to be the conductor collecting tickets on that train ? .... LOL

I suppose my issues have turned into my karma. I'm always thankful I don't have the DCC issues some guys have. Instead I have the ones that will drive a DC engineer up the wall. Funny how things seem to happen when I'm not working on anything. It's like my layout is just throwing work at me. I have narrowed down two points on my layout that seem to be where my shorts are happening. Again short little track pieces with loose joiners. I'm no good at squeezing the joiners either as I do more harm than good. It seems I may leave this sectional track behind after this. It's gotten to the point I want to replace my straight sections with flex track. Oddly enough I haven't an issue with my curves as of yet. Just my straight sections. It would really help to have flex in as it would eliminate the number of joiners I have to keep track of that could come loose and short out. With my C&O unit. She's back in the box until I can get around to repairing her. Thank all of y'all for the helpful insight. I'll look it all over once I work on her. She hasn't had much run time. Not as much as the sister Chessie unit.

Sent from my LGLS675 using Tapatalk

Chet, the 1361 is the K4s that was displayed at Horseshoe Curve. It was removed in the mid 1980s for restoration and excursion operation. If memory serves, it suffered a galled bearing on one of the drivers, and hasn't run since. Re-restoration was begun many years ago, but political infighting among the group performing the restoration has stalled the project, possibly permanently. It seems the "issue" was a member of the organization insisting Belpaire boilers were unsafe, and wouldn't let it go. Currently, 1361 is in a state of disassembly, and may never be operable again.

That's where design over strength of materials comes in. No matter what you use, angled legs along any wall is a good idea. No chance of feets interrupting ops sessions.
View attachment 59360I followed that design all the way around, if I had no "standing" sections there would be no vertical legs.

Here's a cheaper way to build a shelf type layout using half inch electrical conduit.

attachment.php

Extremely strong. I had a guy who weighed over 300 pounds put his entire witght on the layout and it didn't budge. It's an old cabinet makers trick.

Chet, the 1361 is the K4s that was displayed at Horseshoe Curve. It was removed in the mid 1980s for restoration and excursion operation. If memory serves, it suffered a galled bearing on one of the drivers, and hasn't run since. Re-restoration was begun many years ago, but political infighting among the group performing the restoration has stalled the project, possibly permanently. It seems the "issue" was a member of the organization insisting Belpaire boilers were unsafe, and wouldn't let it go. Currently, 1361 is in a state of disassembly, and may never be operable again.

I was there in either the late 70's or early 80's when I saw it. It would be nice to see it restored.

Here's a cheaper way to build a shelf type layout using half inch electrical conduit.

attachment.php

Extremely strong. I had a guy who weighed over 300 pounds put his entire witght on the layout and it didn't budge. It's an old cabinet makers trick.

Deja LOL! That is actually the VERY picture that inspired the way I did my layout many moons ago!

Good morning ..

Thanks for all the comments.... The surgery should be minor unless the doctor decides to remove a lead. He now says all leads are functioning as they should, and that will not happen this time. I hope to be home late in the day of surgery. ... Everything else is fine.

New Guy .... How would you like to be the conductor collecting tickets on that train ? .... LOL

I was wondering how they handle that. Amazing what they get away with overseas! I was trippin down memory lane the other day and looked on Google Earth and it appears all cleaned up now but when I was in Korea we ran P.T. in the mornings sometimes thru a dump and half the time it was on fire! Good (cough) training! (cough, HAK, cough!)

Louis -

That's been my team since 1960. I don't watch as much lately, but they are really doing well without Tony Romo. Going to be a really tough coaching decision to make when he is able to return, although owner Jerry Jones may have already made the decision. His rookie replacement has won eight games in a row!

I was happy to see the Cowboys beat the Steelers. It's always good to see one of the Baltimore Ravens division rivals lose. The Redskins are my second favorite NFL team so it is very rare for me to route for the Cowboys.

Are you old enough to have followed the Dallas Texans of the NFL not the AFL? The remaining assets of the Bankrupt 1952 Texans were transferred to the 1953 NFL expansion Baltimore Colts. Including the Texans team colors of Blue and white.

Tony Romo is one of the best quarterbacks of his era in my opinion. He has not had much in the way of consistent defense to help him and his horrible injuries are the reasons he has not had much success in the playoffs.

The Cowboys had a great draft and several of them are starting due to injury, aside from Elliott. Even with these young starters they are winning!

Soon the Cowboys will face the run blitz and or 8 in the box on almost every play. Romo's arm strength will be the answer to that so he will get his chance to play. Unless of course Elliott continues to consistently make the first man miss. Barring injury the Cowboys have to be the favorites to win the NFC championship. I am looking forward to seeing the Ravens come to Dallas. I won't be surprised to see Romo in that game.

Afternoon All,

Went to the movies today (arrival) and it was pretty good (more cerebral instead of action). Worked on the shelf project again in the kitchen. It seems like every time I think I'm done MOH decides to do something else (don't ask):(. Hopefully tomorrow I will be back to the LED project.

NG- Looking good. Great progress.

Willie- Great job on the buildings.

Justin- The joy of the hobby. We have all been there. Something I have learned the hard way is to make sure that all T/O's are level lengthwise and widthwise. Also check that the connecting tracks are level with the T/O also. I have found a lot of T/O's have a small bow in the area of the fixed "V". This can cause the wheels to ride up and derail.

I hope everyone has a good night.

I was happy to see the Cowboys beat the Steelers. It's always good to see one of the Baltimore Ravens division rivals lose. The Redskins are my second favorite NFL team so it is very rare for me to route for the Cowboys.

Are you old enough to have followed the Dallas Texans of the NFL not the AFL? The remaining assets of the Bankrupt 1952 Texans were transferred to the 1953 NFL expansion Baltimore Colts. Including the Texans team colors of Blue and white.

Not old enough. I do remember the Texans of the AFL and the intra-city rivalry of the early 60's, until Lamar Hunt moved the team to Kansas City. I supported the Cowboys all the way. I even worked for them during home games at the Cotton Bowl from 1965-1970. Got free tickets to all home games. No seats, just admission to the stadium.

Willie

I don't consider the discussion on bench work to be arguing. Like many things in this hobby there is more than 1 way to do it. I'm form the school of use what you have and make it work.

I'm about 300lbs and my layout supports me. The center of my layout is a ping pong table and that is surrounded by hard word furniture on 3 sides from my oldest daughters old bedroom set. It works for me and I don't have to store the ping pong table or furniture. They were in my basement and I put them to good use. Of curse that does not allow me to run wiring under the layout, but Lionel's FasTrack accommodates the wiring under the road bed. I only have 2 feeders per circuit on opposite ends of the layout and the wires run off the edge.

My HO layout is built on my oldest grandson's old Thomas the Tank Engine table with Plywood on top. My daughter was going to throw it out so I put it to good use. I elevated the plywood with 2x3s to run the wiring underneath, I still have not run the wiring underneath yet.

After I move I am planning on modeling my permanent bench work after Garry's. Not because others won't work, I just like his bench work. I have plans for 3 layouts so I may use one or both of the methods I am currently using for 2 of them.

There is no right or wrong way in my book, just make it work.

Not old enough. I do remember the Texans of the AFL and the intra-city rivalry of the early 60's, until Lamar Hunt moved the team to Kansas City. I supported the Cowboys all the way. I even worked for them during home games at the Cotton Bowl from 1965-1970. Got free tickets to all home games. No seats, just admission to the stadium.

Willie

Those were some great teams the "hat' put together; Dandy Don, Craig Morton, Roger Staubach, Chuck Howley (belongs in the hall of fame) and many, many others.

Back