Running Bear's Coffee Shop LVIII

Boris I hope all is well with you and you get to see our Ravens battle Willie's Cowboys! Win or lose it should be a great game and I expect to see Romo if all is going well for the Ravens.

Louis: Unfortunately, having the Giants, and Jets both playing in our market, limits what I get to see on TV, especially the 1PM game on Sundays. The only glimpse I get of Ravens or Redskins games, is on NFL RedZone. Otherwise, all is good. Haven't been following the forums closely, at all of late. Have been working on the layout though. Pictures soon.

Justin - (I hope I got your name right, rather than calling you Chessie all the time) - So whereabouts are you in coal country?

New Guy - I hear you about the basement flood worries. Our water table is nowhere near that high, so my worry is when we get the occasional super heavy downpour, which is about once a year. If we simultaneously lose power, then it's my time to do the "Start the Generator" drill.

Johnny (Raincoat2)

JOY!
DSCF4381.jpgY'all have a wonderful day, I will be busy! I'm WAY behind on where this needs to be so I'ma git me into a "John Henry" action mode! YEE HAA!

Good morning. 45 degrees and partly cloudy to start off the day. Looks like this will be the last day with temps up into the 50's for a while. Only supposed to get into the low 40's tomorrow woth a low in the low 20's for tomorrow.

Eric - Nice to see you checking in this morning. The shrinking tumor is some great news. Hope you can stop the chemo treatments soon. They do knock the snot out of you.

Jason - Looks like you scored a couple of nice kits. Well done. City classic does have some nice kits.

Johnny - I will have to chime in with Willie when it comes to building the Merchants Row and DPM kits. In the downtown section of my last town most of the building are kits and painting the windows have to be the most time consuming part of the scene. Ended up that I had to paint all of the windows as anny of them have the rear of the building facing the front of the layout. Couldn't cheat and not paint them. It was a pain but well worth the effort.

0101.jpg Main Street.jpg IMAG0040.jpg

Toot - All of the Athearn locomotives that I have are oldies except for the Genisis F-7' All had the metal strap over the top of the open motor. That shows you haw long it has been since I bought an Athearn locomotive. Once Atlas brought out the Alco series with the Kato drive, I never looked back.

Garry - Have a safe trip home.

Louis - I'm wit you as I don't care for pumpkin pie at all.

Sure wish the moderators would get Tap Talk connected again. I don't get near my computer much during the week and usually keep up with the forum with Tap Talk.

Catch you later.

Last edited by a moderator:
Justin - (I hope I got your name right, rather than calling you Chessie all the time) - So whereabouts are you in coal country?

New Guy - I hear you about the basement flood worries. Our water table is nowhere near that high, so my worry is when we get the occasional super heavy downpour, which is about once a year. If we simultaneously lose power, then it's my time to do the "Start the Generator" drill.

Johnny (Raincoat2)
Johnny,
I live in West by God Virginia. Basically everywhere is coal. I get a treat here in Charleston as Norfolk Southern is on one side of the river and CSX is on the other. I'm closest to the Cabin Creek spur on the CSX side of the tracks. Now where I grew up in southern West Virginia I was closest to the Nicholas Fayette and Greenbrier Railroad (NF&G). It was just a paper railroad which was shared by the C&O and NYC railroads. Oh and you have it right my name is Justin. I used to have a signature on here until I changed phones and I haven't figured out how to bring it back again.

Sent from my LGLS675 using Tapatalk

Does anyone know anyone at Kalmbach publishing so I can renew my MR Mag. at a more suitable cost than the "over the counter" rates. I had a good deal rate offer that I left in GA because I wasn't sure I was going to keep the subscription up. I have decided to do so.

I've never had a sub to Model Railroad Craftsman but wouldn't trying it for a year if someone can get me a good deal on it also. I used to pick up an issue now then back when I was a kid with my last big layout.
E.

BTW: Thank you all for the continued support and well-wishes on my endeavors with the Big C.

Johnny,
I live in West by God Virginia. Basically everywhere is coal. I get a treat here in Charleston as Norfolk Southern is on one side of the river and CSX is on the other. I'm closest to the Cabin Creek spur on the CSX side of the tracks. Now where I grew up in southern West Virginia I was closest to the Nicholas Fayette and Greenbrier Railroad (NF&G). It was just a paper railroad which was shared by the C&O and NYC railroads. Oh and you have it right my name is Justin. I used to have a signature on here until I changed phones and I haven't figured out how to bring it back again.
Justin - Surrounded by RRs all your life! Doesn't get any better than that. I've only driven through Virginia and West Virginia a couple of times. Some of my favorite books are the ones Homer Hickam wrote about life in the late 50's in Coalwood, WV, and the 1999 movie October Sky based on Hickam's model rocketry while in high school. Assume most of that is true - don't know how accurately it portrays coal mining, but it seems realistic.

Nice talkin' with ya. Have a good day.
Johnny (Raincoat2)

Boy I've done it now! I found a video I'd like to share. Speaking of the NF&G railroad. Video from 1990. I was 5! Rainelle junction. Not much has changed with it. A lot less motive power and hoppers now. When I was a kid staying with my grandparents in Alderson, WV couldn't keep count of how many trains went by. Now I'm lucky to count maybe three. And of those three one might be a coal train. Anyways y'all enjoy!
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KX9rcRjtshQ

Johnny,
Justin - Surrounded by RRs all your life! Doesn't get any better than that. I've only driven through Virginia and West Virginia a couple of times. Some of my favorite books are the ones Homer Hickam wrote about life in the late 50's in Coalwood, WV, and the 1999 movie October Sky based on Hickam's model rocketry while in high school. Assume most of that is true - don't know how accurately it portrays coal mining, but it seems realistic.

Nice talkin' with ya. Have a good day.
Johnny (Raincoat2)
Believe or not. The movie is extremely accurate. My brother has his brass tags he put on a pegboard when he went underground. I consider myself lucky to have grown up where I did. Not only did I get to railfan the coal trains coming out of the southern coalfields but I also got to witness the Allegheny pusher on several pushes up the grade to Allegheny, VA. Used to be a pair of SD40s now it's just a single AC4400. Which the last time I was in Ronceverte,WV I got to watch it do a push. It was great. There was also a limestone quarry just outside of Alderson,WV known as Snowflake.Snowflake came about because of all the limestone dust on the ground causing the ground to be white. My late uncle and father worked at the quarry known as Acme Limestone. It has since idled and was bought by a local concrete company. I can't think of the name off the top of my head.

Does anyone know anyone at Kalmbach publishing so I can renew my MR Mag. at a more suitable cost than the "over the counter" rates. I had a good deal rate offer that I left in GA because I wasn't sure I was going to keep the subscription up. I have decided to do so.

I've never had a sub to Model Railroad Craftsman but wouldn't trying it for a year if someone can get me a good deal on it also. I used to pick up an issue now then back when I was a kid with my last big layout.
E.

BTW: Thank you all for the continued support and well-wishes on my endeavors with the Big C.

E I tried to send you a private message, but your box is full. I sent you an email instead.

I hope you are having the best day possible!

Louis: Unfortunately, having the Giants, and Jets both playing in our market, limits what I get to see on TV, especially the 1PM game on Sundays. The only glimpse I get of Ravens or Redskins games, is on NFL RedZone. Otherwise, all is good. Haven't been following the forums closely, at all of late. Have been working on the layout though. Pictures soon.

Boris I'm glad to hear you are just busy, I missed you and was worried something was wrong.

You might be in luck this week, the Jets have a bye week and with the Cowboys being the home team CBS will be carrying the Ravens game. As they say "check your local listings" :) If your CBS station has the double header this week I would expect they would televise the Ravens at the Cowboys as it is the most pertinent to your NFC East area. The Bears at the Giants will be on your Fox station at 1pm.

Boy I've done it now! I found a video I'd like to share. Speaking of the NF&G railroad. Video from 1990. I was 5! Rainelle junction. Not much has changed with it. A lot less motive power and hoppers now. When I was a kid staying with my grandparents in Alderson, WV couldn't keep count of how many trains went by. Now I'm lucky to count maybe three. And of those three one might be a coal train. Anyways y'all enjoy!
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KX9rcRjtshQ

Great video Chessie! Brings back memories of my days at the coal piers in Baltimore, Chessie, not CSX that is.

I was amazed to see Conrail on point of a CSX train, I've never seen that! When you need more power, any power will do Io suppose. I'll have to put a train like that together on my O gauge layout after Christmas.

Thanks Chessie!

Afternoon All,

Spent about 2.5 hours today scraping insulation off magnet wire. I did 16-4 inch wires and 16-1/2 inch wires (the pitts!). That's enough for the 8 signal heads. I did have a pretty good headache after doing that since I was hunched over with a magnifying visor over my eyes. Yesterday I made a holder for the signal heads for when the LED's are being installed. To physically attach the LED's to the styrene I am planning on using Foam Tack Glue that way it doesn't cloud the LED's like I'm sure CA would do.

The other day I ordered a couple of black styrene sheets for the back side of the signal housing. I decided I didn't want to try painting the signals with the LED's in place.

Toot- Nice photos and modeling.

Eric- Great news about the tumor size.

Garry- Good luck tomorrow. I will be thinking of you.

Justin- Nice looking kits. Have fun building them. Interesting video.

NG- It always feels good to get MRR stuff in the mail.

20161115_115316_zpsqvbadr1k.jpg

I hope everybody has a good night.

Johnny,
Believe or not. The movie is extremely accurate. My brother has his brass tags he put on a pegboard when he went underground. I consider myself lucky to have grown up where I did. Not only did I get to railfan the coal trains coming out of the southern coalfields but I also got to witness the Allegheny pusher on several pushes up the grade to Allegheny, VA. Used to be a pair of SD40s now it's just a single AC4400. Which the last time I was in Ronceverte,WV I got to watch it do a push. It was great. There was also a limestone quarry just outside of Alderson,WV known as Snowflake.Snowflake came about because of all the limestone dust on the ground causing the ground to be white. My late uncle and father worked at the quarry known as Acme Limestone. It has since idled and was bought by a local concrete company. I can't think of the name off the top of my head.

Justin - cool video of the NF&G action. Thanks for the info about the movie. Hopefully our new president will breathe new life into the coal mining industry.
Johnny

Cool thing about the NF&G is that it was a joint venture. Engine facility and yard were shared. So it didn't surprise me to see a Conrail up front. There is a good couple of photos online with a Conrail unit sitting next to chessie units at the engine house.

Howdy .

I must have started talking about the surgery too soon. ... Thanks for all of the comments.... I leave for Nashville tomorrow for surgery Wednesday...... If all goes as expected, it will be a minor operation.

Thanks again.

Garry your surgery is Thursday right? Godspeed my friend and I will keep you in my prayers. I am confident all will be well. It's just how I do things. :)

Curt how are your hands doing after all that wire stripping?

Getting closer and closer to seeing working signals!

Garry your surgery is Thursday right? Godspeed my friend and I will keep you in my prayers. I am confident all will be well. It's just how I do things. :)

Yes. Surgery is Thursday. I meant to include that when I posted. Thanks.

Back