Running Bear's Coffee Shop LVIII

Another Athearn with issues. My C&O GP35 went downhill. I noticed her performance was in decline. Stop for no reason and the such. So figured she needed her wheels cleaned. Upon attempting to clean her wheels I noticed she wasn't getting any power pickup on her back axles. I'm at a wow factor on this one. At least she didn't burn up like my GP40 did. At least not yet...

Sent from my LGLS675 using Tapatalk

Hi Flo & Francine, Whatever happened to Janie, oh, she ran off with Sherrel, as he promised her flying lessions, I see!

Something he no doubt is well practiced at :p Promises that is. "Come fly, come fly away with me". (we'll see her back, looking a little dishevelled)

Another Athearn with issues. My C&O GP35 went downhill. I noticed her performance was in decline. Stop for no reason and the such. So figured she needed her wheels cleaned. Upon attempting to clean her wheels I noticed she wasn't getting any power pickup on her back axles. I'm at a wow factor on this one. At least she didn't burn up like my GP40 did. At least not yet...

Say Justin: I'm not familiar with the Athearn Diesels, but if each truck has it's own motor you probably ought to check the connections as some times the fine stranded wires will break leaving only a few making connection with reduced power?

Also, being that your having trouble with your track and consistent power, that might be part of the problem especially if it only does it at certain locations.?

Actually I have a few spots like that and one is very close to the actual power feed connections. Go figure!

How are the power wires connected to the rails and at what intervals but with a smaller layout you probably wouldn't require more than two locations for power connection, but it would also be determined by how well the rail joiners are transfering power from one section to another?

I hope this offers some help to track down your problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good morning guys. I ain't bothered looking at the outside temp, still no heat. I did not even bother trying to find someone on Sunday. it would have been more flusterating than trying to get one on Saturday and that was a YOOGE disappointment! I have absolutely NO confidence it will be taken care of today either, oh sure, I could get 100 guys in here TODAY but all they are going to tell me is
they "gotta order the part" and that is going to take at least one more day. BS!

If I'm lucky my track will be here today and at least I can get some progress there.

How old is the Athearn?
Toot this one isn't even a year old. This on is one of their DCC ready rtr units. Sadly the Chessie one I have is a really good runner. Has great low speed movement. I've made it my loadout switcher because of it. Now it is well over two years old.

Say Justin: I'm not familiar with the Athearn Diesels, but if each truck has it's own motor you probably ought to check the connections as some times the fine stranded wires will break leaving only a few making connection with reduced power?

Also, being that your having trouble with your track and consistent power, that might be part of the problem especially if it only does it at certain locations.?

Actually I have a few spots like that and one is very close to the actual power feed connections. Go figure!

How are the power wires connected to the rails and at what intervals but with a smaller layout you probably wouldn't require more than two locations for power connection, but it would also be determined by how well the rail joiners are transfering power from one section to another?

I hope this offers some help to track down your problem.
These units do have a wire running to each of their axles. I have a feeling the wire for the rear axles is broken. I'll look into it to verify the cause. Now with my track....oh lord where to begin. I only have issues with certain units. My turnouts seem to be my problem children especially on my mains. Normally I good cleaning solves the issue and I press on. I havent done a good solid track cleaning on my layout. I use a track eraser for everything. Probably should use some alcohol and a towel and really do a cleaning for it. My GP40 got better performance for a couple laps and went back to strobing on the straights. I'm going to try cleaning the track really good first and work from there.

Good morning fellers. In a twist of fate all of my structures will show up in the mail today. Means I'll have a yard office and two coal camp houses to add to my layout. However i have some other repairs to perform before hand.

Good morning fellers. In a twist of fate all of my structures will show up in the mail today. Means I'll have a yard office and two coal camp houses to add to my layout. However i have some other repairs to perform before hand.

EXCELLENT! I'm kind of shocked at how excited I am over getting closer to scenery. I'm almost to the point where I can begin looking past the track to what will be but the layout keeps giving me ideas for the layout! LOL!
DSCF4379.jpgFrom L to R are lines #1,2,3,4. After the holidays line 3 will be moving under lines 1 and 2. There is enough room to take out the "wall" between 2 and 3, replace it with pillars and run 3 underneath 1 and 2 in a "half tunnel" kind of way. I like the look of three as it goes under the corner and will continue that look all the way along the back wall. I can enjoy the light effects some of the stuff has and not have to cut the lights to the entire room to see em. I'm not running anything oversize and no plans to upgrade to intermodals so it's all good to go through there.

Good Morning All. 55° and very bright this morning. Super moon or something.
Out in the train shed, I almost completed the Walther's "Prairie Star Elevator". Gotta add the moveable doors and decals to finish. As much as I rant about Walther's structures, this one went together very well. No warped parts and everything fit without any "fine tuning". Instructions still suck, but were not really necessary for this particular model. I installed lights in this structure. Many of my buildings have them, but I haven't added a lighting buss to the layout yet. About two weeks ago I posted this picture of an urban small town downtown mock up.
10-28-16 009.001.JPG
Visible toward the center right is an unpainted DPM structure called "B. Moore Catalog Showroom". I painted it since then but forgot to post a photo. I know that there had been some discussion regarding DPM structures about six or eight weeks ago. Here it is presently, without any window treatments yet.
11-14-16 001.001.JPG

Terry - Domino effect?
David -
Say Willie: Wow, Eight, Grain elevators, you must have quite a distribution of product far and wide!
Most of my towns have one, but I do have three other towns without one.
Louis -
How about them Cowboys?!?!
That's been my team since 1960. I don't watch as much lately, but they are really doing well without Tony Romo. Going to be a really tough coaching decision to make when he is able to return, although owner Jerry Jones may have already made the decision. His rookie replacement has won eight games in a row!
Justin - There seems to be no end to the issues yet. I hope that you get them resolved soon. At least you haven't had a "floor model" lately.
Joe - 16 years, I hope that we're all around for that one.
Eric - Best wishes on the chemo today.

Everybody have a great day.

Willie

Bruce - You posted while I was posting. Great progress. While I have no tunnels (flatland Santa Fe), I like your idea and can envision it in my head. Looking forward to seeing your completed run.
By the way, good luck with the heating.

Willie

Justin, the Athaern engine should have a pair of wires per truck, left and right. One of those may have come loose, on either end. I usually put a touch of solder on those the first time I have them apart.
Another possibility is oil has created a thin layer of goop between the axle stubs and bearing blocks, or between the bearing blocks and the pickup frames. Clean those areas very well when you pull it apart.

Bruce - You posted while I was posting. Great progress. While I have no tunnels (flatland Santa Fe), I like your idea and can envision it in my head. Looking forward to seeing your completed run.
By the way, good luck with the heating.

Willie

LOL! Like that road in Peru that is carved into the side of the mountain and is more a tunnel than a shelf, peeking through the natural rock pillars, NEAT! Might as well try it.

Took until after 8:30 to find someone that wanted to make some money.(SHEESH, "bankers hours" on the H/Vac?) I'm committed now, if I'm giving the guy 85 bucks just to show up he WILL be fixing this thing! I can't afford to switch horses! Bad enough I missed the NMRA meeting to find a doctor for the Big Boy. The train show was yesterday and my train show money went "bye-bye" Friday night when I realized the furnace was being a beeyoch. No metal wheels for Daddy this year!

Good morning from southwest Missouri, all - low 40's last night, 60's and sunny today. Just leave the whole pot here, Ma'am - got a straw?? A little late this morning 'cause I had to read up on all the weekend entries.

Gee - I finally think I learn from all of you how to build benchwork, and then you go and start arguing among each other about how to build benchwork!?!? :)

Well, my plans for starting to build our new benchwork over the weekend went up in smoke - fun smoke, that is. I had bought some lumber at the DIY store on Friday along with some other stuff, and the weekend was looking like a nice time in the trainroom. But Saturday my wife wanted to do some Christmas shopping at the mall, and the kids and grandkids were going to meet her there, so-o-o-o- (hey, at least there's a Starbucks there). Then Sunday, we met our daughter, her husband, and our two-month-old granddaughter in Branson and went on to Silver Dollar City (tourist attraction). Had a great time, got home late, was worn out, watched part of the Seahawks-Patriots game - I really don't care about pro sports much anymore, so that shows how tired I was. Anyway, net result was no progress on the layout :( Maybe this week - - -

Eric and Terry - Prayers for both of you. Hope you feel better today.

Willie - Good looking buildings. I'm still working on one of the Merchant's Row kits - way behind on it.

Got

Sorry - keyboard went wonky on me - posted before I was finished. Anyway, got to get to work. Will check in throughout the day.
Johnny (Raincoat2)

These units do have a wire running to each of their axles. I have a feeling the wire for the rear axles is broken. I'll look into it to verify the cause. Now with my track....oh lord where to begin. I only have issues with certain units. My turnouts seem to be my problem children especially on my mains. Normally I good cleaning solves the issue and I press on. I havent done a good solid track cleaning on my layout. I use a track eraser for everything. Probably should use some alcohol and a towel and really do a cleaning for it. My GP40 got better performance for a couple laps and went back to strobing on the straights. I'm going to try cleaning the track really good first and work from there.

Your Athearn RTR GP35 is probably like my recent release SD40's (now either RTR DC/DCC ready or W/DCC sound). The chassis is just a slightly modified version of the previous RTR DC/DCC ready line. The trucks in the new ones are the same as previous models, they have square brass blocks on the axles (floating) inboard of the wheels, between them and the gearbox casing. Sitting over them and bridging all axles and brass blocks on each side are thin metal yokes. They have tabs that stick up inside the loco to which the pick-up wires to the circuit board are soldered. If anything like mine, not very well. If I've ever seen wires that looked like they were dry jointed, these were them. Whoever did mine had 10 minutes training. So, the first place to look. When you go to remove the body, the GP35's have extra chassis weight extensions at each end which are shaped to closely fit inside the V shape of the nose and tail of the shell, If the paint got inside and was sticky when the shell was placed over the chassis, they get stuck a bit and make it hard to get the shell off, Bit of wriggling at each end might be needed to free it.
GP35quickplug004.png

GP35quickplug005.png

GP35quickplug006.png

GP35quickplug007.png

This one I'm showing is from that earlier run, post BlueBox, it still retained the pickup extensions to which the wires were soldered. My SD40's have them clipped off to just beside the driveshafts. Hope you can see those vertical chassis extensions I am talking about at front and rear.

Good morning from southwest Missouri, all - low 40's last night, 60's and sunny today. Just leave the whole pot here, Ma'am - got a straw?? A little late this morning 'cause I had to read up on all the weekend entries.

Gee - I finally think I learn from all of you how to build benchwork, and then you go and start arguing among each other about how to build benchwork!?!? :)

Well, my plans for starting to build our new benchwork over the weekend went up in smoke - fun smoke, that is. I had bought some lumber at the DIY store on Friday along with some other stuff, and the weekend was looking like a nice time in the trainroom. But Saturday my wife wanted to do some Christmas shopping at the mall, and the kids and grandkids were going to meet her there, so-o-o-o- (hey, at least there's a Starbucks there). Then Sunday, we met our daughter, her husband, and our two-month-old granddaughter in Branson and went on to Silver Dollar City (tourist attraction). Had a great time, got home late, was worn out, watched part of the Seahawks-Patriots game - I really don't care about pro sports much anymore, so that shows how tired I was. Anyway, net result was no progress on the layout :( Maybe this week - - -

Eric and Terry - Prayers for both of you. Hope you feel better today.

Willie - Good looking buildings. I'm still working on one of the Merchant's Row kits - way behind on it.

Got

Yes, we all agree on overbuilding. We just disagree on how MUCH is "enuff"! LOL! I had a guy that builds houses build the layout so he built a layout sized house! The wind could rip the roof off the house and the track off the layout but this table is going NOWHERE!

Back